Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That looks a hell of a lot like the VA/VS series they were putting out under the Vantage name at the same time, which, if so, makes that a hell of a guitar even though it's beat to bits

https://www.vantage-guitars.com/gallery-japan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They're really similar, but the Hondos horns are different and it doesn't have the neck-through construction of the Vantage. Just different enough they wouldn't get sued.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah but I assume that repetition is, like, competent instead of random bullshit.

I’m actually not that interested in songs that are just strum chord X N times -> strum chord Y N times -> repeat. When I make a chord shape, my mind doesn’t go to the sound a strum makes, I think about how cool it would be to play each string in a particular order. And how nice it’d sound as you change between chords while playing the strings. Isn’t there a term for picking individual strings instead of strumming entire chords? I don’t remember the name.

I really do hope so :negative: I am fine with need to come to terms with long term effort and progress, but I can’t help but feel discouraged and think that I’m fundamentally incapable of something instead of just not practiced or learned. I have some sort of hosed up can’t-ever-get-better mentality, IDK what it is.

I think that’s called apreggios or something like that? But yeah trust me, I was SOoOoOoO bad for like 2-3 years. Just never stop and play at least every other day.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you're trying to type someone else's story word for word, punctuation mark for punctuation mark, you'll have to practice and memorize forever

if you're only trying to type the jist of the story using your own phrasing and embellishments, you'll be able to do that just after reading it maybe a single time

you'll never learn to play just like somebody else, but eventually you'll find your own voice and nobody will be able to play just like you

also as for the picking, you may want to look into the phrase "travis picking" or other fingerpicking patterns

Yeah I never play solos note for note. I just play my own solo in the space and it works. If I ever try thinking about what I’m playing I collapse. Gotta just hit the root note and just GO BABY GO

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i would say that it's not "endless repetition for years", that's a bit hyperbolic

it'll be endless repetition for a little bit, while you get specific jumps down.

but those jumps are of course transferrable to other songs and even your own songs-- open shapes are everywhere, for instance, so most people have them down before they know it (incidentally i still don't because i'm an rear end in a top hat and skipped straight to barre chords. G to D fucks me).

and once you start learning jumps your brain will become more malleable. there's sort of a hidden thing in there where you're also learning how to learn jumps.

often now i will concoct or find a goofy rear end shape and it doesn't take more than like, a few days, if i practice it every day, to get it down. there're very many famous guitar players who are really impressive as far as how they're able to play the nuttiest, most melodic stuff while singing. the truth is everyone can get to that point-- it's just training and frustration.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it more works in plateaus than small increments

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I got my first interface recently (started small with the Positive Grid Riff) and have to say, using amp sims to practice is great. I hope it's not hiding mistake - I practice fairly clean, but I'm not heading string noise so much as there's more speaker and less chunks and squeaks when I have headphones on. I can also practice after 9pm, which is generally when I feel most creative and vivid. But yeah, fun stuff!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I got my first interface recently (started small with the Positive Grid Riff) and have to say, using amp sims to practice is great. I hope it's not hiding mistake - I practice fairly clean, but I'm not heading string noise so much as there's more speaker and less chunks and squeaks when I have headphones on. I can also practice after 9pm, which is generally when I feel most creative and vivid. But yeah, fun stuff!

It's great. you just have to keep in mind you won't be able to use the same settings gigging vs in a bedroom. IE in a bedroom or headphones you throw on a cab sims and post cab room sim reverbs to make it sound like it would being recorded through a mic in a better room than yours. You are essentially compensating for the lack of soundwaves interacting in a large 3D space, reflecting back at you off the walls.... basically natural reverb... So you have to redial and/or turn down/off that stuff for the space and volume since you wouldn't need to simulate it anymore. Meanwhile you continue to simulate your pedals/amp/cab etc.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 14, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
matsumoku-san pls give me birth year greco/aria/???? les paul tyia

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Harton posted:

Yeah I never play solos note for note. I just play my own solo in the space and it works. If I ever try thinking about what I’m playing I collapse. Gotta just hit the root note and just GO BABY GO

I mark all solo sections in my projects “FUK EM UP HERE” to get in the right headspace while recording, a la Hetfield’s explorer.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

well if it's 1981 you can buy this one i've been eyeballing

https://reverb.com/item/69587424-1981-greco-les-paul-eg-450-super-power-cherry-sunburst-made-in-japan?bk=

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of fingerstyle (except that’s different AFAICT). The kinda thing you see classical guitarists do.

Maybe pick up a classical book and go through it? The Parkening Vol 1 book is what I started with, I recommend it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the tootsie roll sweetwater sent was extremely stale debating calling my sales technician

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

fullroundaction posted:

I mark all solo sections in my projects “FUK EM UP HERE” to get in the right headspace while recording, a la Hetfield’s explorer.

gently caress yes!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Have a look at Japan Yahoo! Auctions via Buyee. Heaps of Greco/Aria/Joodee/etc if you're willing to fiddle with Auctions. Mercari Japan also likely to have what you're after, but people tend to know what they have.

Only issue is length restrictions shipping to the US (presuming you're in the US), which can make it expensive. It's 105cm to Australia, which makes undisassembled guitars too dear.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

holefoods posted:

the tootsie roll sweetwater sent was extremely stale debating calling my sales technician

it's a tootsie roll. pretty sure they make 'em stale

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

landgrabber posted:

Not if you get them right from the factory

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Buschmaki posted:

Not if you get them right from the factory

For all I know you're being literal and genuine but it also sounds kinda like you're telling us to eat poo poo.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Baron von Eevl posted:

For all I know you're being literal and genuine but it also sounds kinda like you're telling us to eat poo poo.

I live in a city with a tootsie roll factory that does tours 😈

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

landgrabber posted:

Lol

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

landgrabber posted:

nah if you get your own bag and don’t grab one that’s been sitting in a candy jar for at least a year they’re great

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Any of you using magnets to play? This is interesting but pretty out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9MF60ZO8rI

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's been two days. did someone say landgrabber tone demo???

https://vocaroo.com/1hqfNDjLHr94

just some goofy power chord improv. i've been pretty happy so far with what i've gotten from this humbucker into a rat into my amp, but i finally got some settings on my plumes that i like to run it into the rat.

you hear me switch the plumes off to get it to be a little softer sounding, and later still, back on, which i'll use for bigger chords.

i finally got that "rasp" that i hear in like, blue album demos and stuff.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my technique/sliding is kinda bad/has suffered. i have no idea what happened but like these strings weren't changed more than a couple weeks ago and they're already gross.

i wash my hands. should i wipe down the strings?? i don't even make as much sweat/oil as i used to due to E but sliding around octaves and stuff is super hard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do you wipe your strings down after playing?

And any sufficient playing will kill strings. My friends dad would always change strings after a show no matter what

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I’m looking for a small cheap practice amp, preferably under 20 watts, with Bluetooth. Any recommendations?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Krustic posted:

I’m looking for a small cheap practice amp, preferably under 20 watts, with Bluetooth. Any recommendations?

yamaha thr-10 is pretty good

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you wipe your strings down after playing?

And any sufficient playing will kill strings. My friends dad would always change strings after a show no matter what

i don't wipe down my strings.

wish i could be one of those people who likes tacky strings for some reason. but nooooo i gotta glide across em!!!

anyway Blog Time:

i like where i'm at on guitar. i've been making sure to play at LEAST a little bit every day, usually a lot more. i don't time the "blocks" but i find myself spending a significant amount of time playing guitar, then taking a break for a bit, then going back. doing it in chunks.

i'm starting to think really melodically and i've finally gotten more vertical on the instrument-- i'll actually play lead on the B string too. sometimes the high E, but i use 9s and the high E string is so thin that it doesn't sound great.

i've regained my sense for like, using different chord shapes and which ones sound good together. whereas for a long time i was limited to some opens, and E shape barre variants with different qualities. now i have other shapes and inversions and stuff significantly under the belt enough to use them and not think about it too much. i feel like i've unlocked another Level of playing.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

yamaha thr-10 is pretty good

One of those would probably be perfect, but at 599 new it’s a bit out of my price range. I’m looking at like under 200 dollar/ no name Amazon brands. I’ve been using a silvertone 5 watt bass amp for all my practice needs for about the last year, and if it had built in Bluetooth it’d be fine.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
get a chunk o fastfret

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Krustic posted:

One of those would probably be perfect, but at 599 new it’s a bit out of my price range. I’m looking at like under 200 dollar/ no name Amazon brands. I’ve been using a silvertone 5 watt bass amp for all my practice needs for about the last year, and if it had built in Bluetooth it’d be fine.

they're 329, i have no idea why they're 600 on reverb

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10II--yamaha-thr10-ii-10-watt-2x3-inch-modeling-combo

i also might try a spark mini for 230 before no-name amazon stuff.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PGSparkMini--positive-grid-spark-mini-portable-combo-amp-black

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krustic posted:

That's because you're looking at an in-box old-stock THR10, not the current THR10 II which is only $329. Still over your budget, but not as crazily so. The II has bluetooth, the OG did not.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

wish i could be one of those people who likes tacky strings for some reason. but nooooo i gotta glide across em!!!

Ya gotta wipe em down I'm afraid.

I'm not one of the luxurious 'change every three songs' guys (because I can't afford it) but even with a wipedown and a slash of Fastfret I try to change up every couple of gigs. Your finger crud gets into the windings real easily - three 90 minute sets and I can definitely tell the difference in brightness and more importantly the string attack. Fastfret ekes another couple of hours bright out and plus it smells amazing!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Very glad I don’t want bright strings. I have enough guitar chores already, especially considering the humidity keeps changing drastically week to week here. Buzz city.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I change strings yearly, if that. I'm gross as poo poo though.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I change strings yearly, if that. I'm gross as poo poo though.

I need to change strings on both my Strats more often, but the flat wounds on my archtop still sound new and it’s been like 6 months.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my acoustic strings stay on until one breaks

my fingats smell like onions and garlic after playing it

my electrics I change more often but not very often. usually the fretboard looks dry and I'll restring after a lemon oil bath

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I make a point of washing my hands every single time I pick up my guitars. Even more important for me with a couple of new lacquer necks so both the strings and the neck will get bad. Definitely helps string last longer. Usually once a day I rub down the neck. If I somehow track any sort of oil onto the strings it drives me nuts so I'll wipe that down. But keeping hands clean avoids that usually. So yeah I sort of white glove the playing surface. try not to eat potato chips while you play.

otherwise I do farther bends than I used to, so I feel like some of the strings die a bit, I'll chang ehtem like once every month or two. If they look dirty or overly tarnished I'll change them.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's because you're looking at an in-box old-stock THR10, not the current THR10 II which is only $329. Still over your budget, but not as crazily so. The II has bluetooth, the OG did not.

Ah yes. Just kinda punched it into a search and didn’t read too much. Sorry, I have first time Covid and have been sipping mucinex all morning. Yeah a used th5 or th10 ii maybe a decent option. I’m not sure if I would use any of the app based stuff the positive grid offers and the effects would be redundant since I have a good pedalboard. I basically just want a small amp I can Bluetooth backing tracks into and mindlessly shred and still hear the t.v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

I'm the same way, I absolutely can not play a guitar with tacky strings. I wash my hands before I sit down to play and I wipe my strings down with some cheap flanel cloth you can get 3x3ft for $3 at walmart or any craft store

Have you tried GHS fast fret? It sounds like gimmicky snake oil, and it pretty much is just oil that you can put on your strings. It doesn't do the claimed "make your strings last forever" thing it purports to do, but if you apply it once when you change strings and then every week or so it really does make a difference. I swear by the stuff and have used it for ages now. Give it a try.