Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bremen posted:

I mainly play older or indie games so processing power is less of an issue, but pixels are pixels.

Not so much on a 7 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Talorat posted:

To be clear, I believe Valve has said we aren’t getting a steamdeck 2 any time soon.

Yeah, I think one of the big differences between the Steam Deck and these other handheld PCs is that Valve didn't really view the Steam Deck as a gaming laptop with a different form factor. They clearly intended it to be a platform all on its own, so yearly updates would really undermine that.

There are pros and cons to that approach, but I will say that over like 25 years of dealing with PC gaming bullshit the SD is the closest thing I've ever seen to a genuinely pick-up-and-play experience. It still blows my mind a little bit whenever I turn it on and some ancient game comes out of suspend flawlessly, or when I can play some ten year old RTS that never conceived of existing on a handheld device or having controller support and it just... works.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Proton hotfix took care of GTA V/online not launching.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yaknow, I wouldn't :toxx: myself on it but I'd probably not see a SD2 this side of 2025.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Valve will copy Nintendo and never update it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Srice posted:

Yeah that's what it feels like for me too.

This is a reddit thread with someone with the problem & what they did to fix it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/zdjcxb/mushy_trigger_resolved/

I figure this weekend if I get the chance I'm gonna sit down and try that fix out for myself since it doesn't sound terribly complicated? Otherwise worse comes to worse I'm still within the one year warranty so I could try my luck with a RMA if I can't get it fixed.

How did this go? Same issue with my trigger, considering doing this, the fan and a 2tb drive all in one go.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

New steam deck will be the day after the new index is released. :steam:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There really is nowhere to go with the deck without improving both the battery weight/life and the cooling system. They could release a new version that plays games at 4k and it would just be turned into a frying pan within 30 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yaknow, I wouldn't :toxx: myself on it but I'd probably not see a SD2 this side of 2025.

Their words were no SD2 until there’s a “significant” performance bump, so I think that’s a solid shout. Though next year is also possible if they like RDNA3 enough.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The Rog Ally does a great job showcasing what makes Steam Deck so great, and the work Valve had to do to make it possible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thank you, ROG Ally!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Valve will copy Nintendo and never update it.

:pray:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just hope the Deck gets a rare improvement every few years, hopefully encouraging game companies to stop giving so much of a poo poo about graphics over literally everything else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

hopefully encouraging game companies to stop giving so much of a poo poo about graphics over literally everything else.

Nintendo making GOTY 2023 run on an APU from 2015 should make game studios take heed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e: wrong thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nintendo making GOTY 2023 run on an APU from 2015 should make game studios take heed

"No, they're wrong. People like video games that run at 15FPS on 90% of machines, but have really good shadows."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sometimes, I think usually after I resume from sleep, starting a game starts it “behind” the spinning Deck logo screen. I can hear the game, and if I press the Steam button I can see the game screen behind the menu. So far restarting Steam has sufficed to fix it, but it’s pretty annoying. Has anyone else seen this, and ideally remedied it? I’m on the latest stable SteamOS.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CuddleCryptid posted:

There really is nowhere to go with the deck without improving both the battery weight/life and the cooling system. They could release a new version that plays games at 4k and it would just be turned into a frying pan within 30 minutes.
Having the screen go to the edge rather than have massive bezels would go a long way for me, even if it’s a same size screen and just a smaller form factor for the casing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
They should improve the screen. It’s only good by like, 2010 standards. Stick a OLED in that baby.

But mostly it’s just software they should improve. I’m wish they had their own version of the GeForce Experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s a really poo poo screen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

They should improve the screen. It’s only good by like, 2010 standards.

Going OLED with VRR would go a long long way

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the 1280x800@60 spec itself is fine, but the screen loving sucks. OLED with less bezels and really good color/viewing angles would go a super long way. I kinda wish there was a screen replacement option.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The screen fine for everything except playing in direct sunlight. OLED is way overhyped.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

The screen fine for everything except playing in direct sunlight. OLED is way overhyped.

As someone who just upgraded their PC monitor to an OLED I’ll say, Na it’s awesome.

I use my second and third Pc monitors next to it and it’s a large upgrade.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If they don’t do a 1080 screen next, I’d be ok with a 720 OLED screen. The resolution gets fucky when docking my Deck to my tv and back, usually resulting in me needing to restart the game to get it back. That extra 80 pixels just isn’t worth the hassle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah 720 is the way to go. 800p isn’t worth it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's very annoying because many games don't have the right aspect ratio so you end up letterboxing. Especially emulators.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Bullshit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have never thought the screen was lacking, stop benchmarking your drat monitor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I've got several devices with oled screens. It's nothing special. Certainly not worth paying more for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if you’ve used a switch oled, or have a decent tv from the last ten years, then yes the screen on the deck is bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dramicus posted:

I've got several devices with oled screens. It's nothing special. Certainly not worth paying more for.

get your eyes checked

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've got a switch oled, the deck's screen is fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have multiple OLED things, the steam deck screen is just fine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only thing that alarms me a little about the SD screen is there is a bit of light bleed or whatever when showing a black screen when booting, but when playing a game it's not noticeable and totally fine.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I wonder if we could get a chipset refresh that makes it more power efficient like the switch got. It’d be awesome to go from 3 hours to 5 hours nominal battery life like the switch got.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

I wonder if we could get a chipset refresh that makes it more power efficient like the switch got. It’d be awesome to go from 3 hours to 5 hours nominal battery life like the switch got.

It's possible in theory, but highly unlikely unless Valve were willing to pay AMD to do another custom chip. The Deck's cpu isn't an off-the-shelf part, so it's not as simple as going from the 6800 to the 7800. I think if valve were to do a chipset refresh, it would be a full-generational upgrade with more power along with efficiency.

It is more possible that we get the exact same chip with a better battery and more power efficient screen, wifi, ssd, or other components.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh interesting, is the switch’s tegra an off the shelf SKU?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

Oh interesting, is the switch’s tegra an off the shelf SKU?

As far as I know, yes. It had been out for several years before Nintendo selected it for use in the Switch.

Edit: Tegra x1 was released in 2015, Switch in 2017. Other devices use the same chip, like the Nvidia Shield and the Google Pixel C.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back in April or early May, Guilikit said they were dropping the drop in hall sensor sticks for the Steam Deck “next month”. I just remembered about that. I was expecting to see some posts or a YouTuber make a video about them, but that never happened. I checked Amazon and it turns out they’re out. So I ordered a pair. $30, not bad. It says it’ll arrive around the end of the month. I’ll give a trip report when I install them. The install instructions are on the Amazon page, and it looks simple enough.

https://a.co/d/aqY5Goh