Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

no country is one of the few screenplays I've read that go page after page without dialogue and I gotta tell you I wish more writers didn't see scenes as dialogue containers. it takes a writer director

you ever read the book To the White Sea by James Dickey (author of Deliverance)? i finally got around to it a month or so ago, insane book that the Coens were set to adapt in the late '90s, they did a screenplay and everything but wanted more of a budget than they could get. all about a psychotic WWII gunner who gets shot down over Japan and basically terrorizes his way across the countryside. would've been another dialogue light, very nasty movie seemingly in kind of the No Country mold. Brad Pitt was gonna star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jared Leto should play toadvine

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you ever read the book To the White Sea by James Dickey (author of Deliverance)? i finally got around to it a month or so ago, insane book that the Coens were set to adapt in the late '90s, they did a screenplay and everything but wanted more of a budget than they could get. all about a psychotic WWII gunner who gets shot down over Japan and basically terrorizes his way across the countryside. would've been another dialogue light, very nasty movie seemingly in kind of the No Country mold. Brad Pitt was gonna star.

no.

not related but I've read Love In Vain which is an infamous screenplay that at times had herzog scorsese and lynch I guess wanting to direct it? and kieth richards willing to help finance it.

It's a semibiographical surreal movie about Robert Johnson the delta blues player and basically every director realized how hard it would be for them to portray 1920s black rural luisiana. I heard about it cause Lynch said it was one of two screenplays he wished he had done but didn't, and the book says basically the writer was ok with it but pressured lynch about if he could portray the people in it well and lynch realized he wasn't sure.

It's maybe the only screenplay to get released as 'literature' and have a paperback but no film to watch with it. The paperback has a forward by scorcese and the writer and goes into its history.

it's not that good honestly idk. i was very hyped to read it but the story itself didn't seem to go anywhere just a cool setting&characters. The opening scene is a preacher preaching at I think a funeral and we hear him from outside the church it's night and thunderstorm you can't see more than 10 feet in front of you and a woman comes out of the church with an axe and starts just swinging it into the dirt and trying to cut raindrops in half and every scene has that kind of strangeness to it.

Almost every scene is either sharecropping in the day or dancing in juke joints at night

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jun 14, 2023

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1668708212143538176?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1669075348804231171?s=20

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Antonymous posted:

no country is one of the few screenplays I've read that go page after page without dialogue and I gotta tell you I wish more writers didn't see scenes as dialogue containers. it takes a writer director

We watched it last night and my girlfriend kept falling asleep because she said there wasn't enough dialogue or a loud score. We have different taste in movies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

who is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/LazlosGhost/status/1668716279031820288

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol yikes

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

croup coughfield posted:

jeremy piven toadvine. also no one should play the kid, the entire film should be done from the kids perspective like hardcore harry

Agreed except the kid should be DaxFlame like in Project X

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
one time a guy with paranoid schizophrenia screamed at me and tried to kick my rear end because i was a "nicholas sparks reading bitch". ive never read a sparks novel but now i see why he was so mad

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

awkward_turtle posted:

We watched it last night and my girlfriend kept falling asleep because she said there wasn't enough dialogue or a loud score. We have different taste in movies.

:sever:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

awkward_turtle posted:

she's right, that one's a real snoozefest

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1669017873170276360?s=20

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1669088872104357888?s=20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the main character dies offscreen!!!! what is this amateur hour bullshit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://youtu.be/tuk6LdLS_D8

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, what a king.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, what a king.

https://twitter.com/VonkLevi/status/1668979513064030209?t=rPnrI3l5dYrwVDDJNBTlEQ&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, what a king.

he had a whole ethos about how doable it is to not do any work you dont like if youre willing to sacrifice comfort it was pretty funny

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

crossover/cinematic universe movie with mario at the olympics, but to stay internally consistent, would require universe-jumping into either having disgustingly photo-realistic hedgehogs and echidnas in cartoony mario universe, or bob hoskins in sonic universe

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

she's right, that one's a real snoozefest

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LOL, hell,

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
what is the correct pronunciation of biopic? I always thought it was "bio-pic" but I heard a writer saying "bi-AHP-ic" in conversation and he did it a few times. it threw me off and now i feel like reality has been playing games with me

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
that pronunciation is hosed. makes it sound like an adjective

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fleetwood posted:

what is the correct pronunciation of biopic? I always thought it was "bio-pic" but I heard a writer saying "bi-AHP-ic" in conversation and he did it a few times. it threw me off and now i feel like reality has been playing games with me

I used to say it "bi-ahp-ic" but multiple people mocked/corrected me so I just stopped.

similar to how I used to say "or-uh-gone" but in that case I was truly being a moron.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fleetwood posted:

its pronounced like the medical procedure “biopsy”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

everything is woke you see

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Wait, is there only five movies on that list, during blockbuster season? drat, that’s dire.

these two things are probably highly related if there arent any good movies to watch and half the bad movies you dont want to watch are marketing themselves based on lesbian screentime of about two seconds then its not exactly unreasonable to think that the two things are related even if theyre actually the result of two completely different and stupid production issues and not the same one

its still deeply funny to me btw that nimona doesnt seem to be doing any woke marketing at all even though it looks more gay than literally every animated movie thats been pretending to be gay since this whole stupid trend started put together

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

its still deeply funny to me btw that nimona doesnt seem to be doing any woke marketing at all even though it looks more gay than literally every animated movie thats been pretending to be gay since this whole stupid trend started put together

Reminds me of the RLM review of Annihilation (and I'm sure echoed elsewhere) that it came out about the same time as lady Ghostbusters, basically all the main characters were women- half of them women of color and one of them was gay- and yet absolutely no one gave a gently caress about it because it was a cerebral scifi movie that was marketed like poo poo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Reminds me of the RLM review of Annihilation (and I'm sure echoed elsewhere) that it came out about the same time as lady Ghostbusters, basically all the main characters were women- half of them women of color and one of them was gay- and yet absolutely no one gave a gently caress about it because it was a cerebral scifi movie that was marketed like poo poo

they were all women in the book too. i can't remember if they explain why in the movie but in the book they do.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Ocean's 8 is another that comes to mind, there was no outrage because people who liked that franchise aren't the kind of people who get angry online about their loser nerd favorites being ruined.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Ocean's 8 is another that comes to mind, there was no outrage because people who liked that franchise aren't the kind of people who get angry online about their loser nerd favorites being ruined.

that one was really bad though, endless product placements, i couldn't finish it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Fleetwood posted:

bio-graphical pic-ture ——> bio-pic

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the annihilation to ocean's 8 lady ghostbusters was WIDOWS (which i remember being a fun pulpy thriller, should have gotten more burn)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont know if its even a franchise thing its just a heist movie where all the heisters happen to be women theres not really anything to be mad about if youre the kind of person who just wants to go watch a heist movie

the main problem lady ghostbusters did that made people mad was that it completely changed the tone from deadpan soft spoken character based jokes to extremely loud modern day snl improv terribleness so no poo poo it pissed fans off but sony unsurprisingly decided that accusing the haters of being misogynist was a more defensible position than admitting they picked a terrible director and welp here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Widows sounded fun but I never got around to it. Annihilation really stuck with me but idk if I really liked it, maybe I just didn't get it. I had a similar feeling about Ex Machina until I rewatched it