Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

imagining a My Boss con and laughing

anyway it's very funny, I honestly think being on the spectrum helps me because I have two modes: total honesty and monosyllabic stoneface, and how well I can work with someone depends on how often I need to use option 2.

As long as ‘total honesty’ here isn’t an excuse for being an rear end in a top hat, I’m here for it and completely agree with my neurodivergent poo poo POV

E: not calling you an rear end in a top hat here, I’m saying that so long as you’re not being the person who says “I’m JuSt BeInG hOnEsT” we’re on the same page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

and also "that one guy" could have left 30 years ago in some cases

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The more I work with large systems the more I am surprised that anything ever works anywhere.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tehinternet posted:

As long as ‘total honesty’ here isn’t an excuse for being an rear end in a top hat, I’m here for it and completely agree with my neurodivergent poo poo POV

E: not calling you an rear end in a top hat here, I’m saying that so long as you’re not being the person who says “I’m JuSt BeInG hOnEsT” we’re on the same page

Oh no. I'm polite almost to a fault. I meant more in terms of "I'm not sure this system is going to work have you thought of <x> alternative"

Being nice costs nothing, despite most people's assessment.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The more I work with large systems the more I am surprised that anything ever works anywhere.

Sometimes I think they work in spite of efforts to break them, too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

are megacorps just a hodgepodge of half cobbled together systems that could come crumbling down at any moment, because the guy who built it left five years ago when the company was way smaller and nobody knows why a certain system exists any more and everyone's been too afraid/busy to update it from a system meant for a hundred people to a system meant for a couple thousand?

and everyone knows it's a problem but can't figure out who to talk to to even start to fix the problem

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Defenestrategy posted:

are megacorps just a hodgepodge of half cobbled together systems that could come crumbling down at any moment, because the guy who built it left five years ago when the company was way smaller and nobody knows why a certain system exists any more and everyone's been too afraid/busy to update it from a system meant for a hundred people to a system meant for a couple thousand?

This is all human systems - corporate, government, communal, or otherwise. We’re a social species, and we can do mighty things, but most of the time people are just really bad at managing and maintaining systems. This is a problem when our fundamental job in technology is creating and managing systems! We can see the inefficiencies a lot easier.

It’s true regardless of field or industry, as everyone working in healthcare, government, or the nonprofit world will attest to! There’s easier jobs and harder jobs, but past a certain point it’s just very hard to organize human behaviour. Organizing machines is much easier.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

Thinking about how bad we are at collaborating and working together makes me want to cry. It's all just so dumb. I feel like that's the real skill set these days. Having the tech skills is kind of "of course, you work in tech, you should be able to make tech work."

Working with other people, though? Navigating the byzantine labyrinth of bullshit? That's where it's really at.

I often think about how funny it would be to try to watch tech folks manage a real project. Like, can you imagine the engineers, PMs, etc., you work with getting together to build a skyscraper? loving lol

I am moonlighting a gig right now that I was hired to do just that.

I’m working with a whole fleet of nerds and this one project has stalled and had to be restarted four times in the last two years because of the “elephant is like a rope” phenomenon pervading the organization.

I was hired because I can speak fluent nerd and business and am arrogant enough to know that I Am Right A Lot and therefore all parties should and will listen to me.

After I was hired the CIO told me he loved my cockiness and self-assuredness during my interview. I guess it helps to not give a gently caress if I was hired or not so I could be my authentic self rather than try to be something I thought they’d want.

I’m timestamping this post so Agrikk of the future can look back from six months from now and either high-five myself or laugh at my hubris.

Either way in six months I’ll have paid off both cars, my credit card and bought Mrs Agrikk a new kitchen so :shrug:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You’re not going to laugh at yourself. It’s how I am as a consultant. Don’t give a gently caress, always know we’re gonna figure poo poo out and get it done. Talk to everyone like a normal person whether they’re IT or the business. No acronyms or jargon. I’ve been working on and closing projects one after the other (some major years long efforts too) for ten years or so. It’s great. gently caress corporate bureaucracy let’s get poo poo done

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

i am a moron posted:

You’re not going to laugh at yourself. It’s how I am as a consultant. Don’t give a gently caress, always know we’re gonna figure poo poo out and get it done. Talk to everyone like a normal person whether they’re IT or the business. No acronyms or jargon. I’ve been working on and closing projects one after the other (some major years long efforts too) for ten years or so. It’s great. gently caress corporate bureaucracy let’s get poo poo done

I am getting this post turned into a plaque and am hanging it on a wall in my office.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This is a new one, a doctor here is threatening a discrimination lawsuit if we can't fix his AD account being constantly locked out. Apparently he went on a rampage with the poor helpdesk girl who took the initial call and now I have the ticket lol

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

i am a moron posted:

Keep going I’m almost there

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

actively discriminatory domain services

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

Just know that we're all rooting for you. Yes, we lament about how bad the industry is in this thread often. But there's bad and then there's bad bad, and you're in the bad bad right now. Always stressful trying to work your way out of that hole, especially when the job market isn't cooperating, but keep at it and try not to learn any bad habits or get too jaded from what you're being exposed to now. None of this poo poo is sunshine and rainbows, but your situation is not the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tehinternet posted:

Keep going I’m almost there

All I care about is business value

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SlowBloke posted:

What kind of gamer bullshit alienware are you buying? Our latitudes ship with just command|update and supportassist on the stock image, nothing else. Autopilot flow barely takes ten minutes from unboxing to ready for use. Dell, HP and any other reputable vendor can enroll them in your tenant FROM THE FACTORY, It's free on most brands.

Dealing with this ourselves, setting up Intune and Autopilot (finally!)

This is on a brand new Dell Latitude 7440:
Dell Command Update
Dell Support Assist
Dell Display Manager
Dell Peripheral Manager
Dell Digital Delivery

These were machines vendor enrolled specifically for this test, and our script specifically crafted to remove this crap failed to do so even after doing so on previous tests. I had no part in that script, so can't comment. the rest worked flawlessly today. Yesterday, not so much, but that was Microsoft's fault for breaking something in Azure.
OOB to ready to use took about 30 minutes, BTW.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

vanity slug posted:

actively discriminatory domain services

*Putting on dei hat* active directory needs to center marginalized voices and acknowledge it's role in programmatically engaging in biased microagressions due to the presumptions held by it's creators to work in a white patriarchal cisheteronormative system based on the assumption that all bodies are capable of entering a password correctly in less than three tries, which is an ableist perspective.

That'll be $2000 please, if you don't pay I'll cancel you on Twitter

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

All I care about is business value

ah, is that where I went wrong?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ceo is posting on linkedin about how hard this season has been

rip my bonus

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

johnny park posted:

I asked a user to show me the error they were getting when they tried to access a page in Chrome so they printed the page out, scanned it back in, and emailed me the PDF :)

Similar vein, had a user call in saying their monitor was showing white "like the sun is hitting the screen". After a few minutes back and forth, I remote in to confirm it's a physical problem. So while I'm on the phone getting the ticket prepped for a replacement system, I ask the user to take a photo of the screen with their smart phone for me so I can add it to the ticket for documentation.

"Oh sure!"
proceeds to use Greenshot to capture their screen

"Actually, could you take a picture of the entire laptop? Like with your phone?"
"Oh sure thing!"

Then sends me a super close up photo that I can only describe as being similar to the balls photo from Arrested Development.

"Ah okay. Yeah that works. You'll have a new system in hand sometime tomorrow, let me know if you need anything else."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

rip my bonus

Please think about the poor board of directors. How will they be able to buy a house in Martha’s Vineyard if they’d give everyone a bonus? Do you expect them to sell their 4th yacht or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

it's been v. hard

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mattfl posted:

This is a new one, a doctor here is threatening a discrimination lawsuit if we can't fix his AD account being constantly locked out. Apparently he went on a rampage with the poor helpdesk girl who took the initial call and now I have the ticket lol

We had a customer think that her computers needed to match the ip address of the printer she wanted them to pair up with. She was very mad when we told her we wouldn’t do it and that would make the system unusable.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Darchangel posted:

Dealing with this ourselves, setting up Intune and Autopilot (finally!)

This is on a brand new Dell Latitude 7440:
Dell Command Update
Dell Support Assist
Dell Display Manager
Dell Peripheral Manager
Dell Digital Delivery

These were machines vendor enrolled specifically for this test, and our script specifically crafted to remove this crap failed to do so even after doing so on previous tests. I had no part in that script, so can't comment. the rest worked flawlessly today. Yesterday, not so much, but that was Microsoft's fault for breaking something in Azure.
OOB to ready to use took about 30 minutes, BTW.

I shouldn’t have used the word bloatware, I should have said malware. Which is what Dell Optimizer is. And Dell Command Update will reinstall it automatically on your computer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

rip my bonus

Bet they still get a bonus, though.

LochNessMonster posted:

Please think about the poor board of directors. How will they be able to buy a house in Martha’s Vineyard if they’d give everyone a bonus? Do you expect them to sell their 4th yacht or something?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cyks posted:

I shouldn’t have used the word bloatware, I should have said malware. Which is what Dell Optimizer is. And Dell Command Update will reinstall it automatically on your computer.

Our script is literally named "remove bloatware," BTW.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can count the number of techs who I’ve worked with who can instinctively take a photo close enough to see what’s going on but far away enough to give actual useful context on one hand. Just today I was sent a picture of a firewall with some cables patched into the front and nothing else. My man, take one step backwards and we’d have an image of where those wires go to, what you’ve done is pretty much useless.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

i am a moron posted:

It’s almost the entire job. Communication and taking responsibility are how you get poo poo done in IT for better or worse.

I agree with this and the lack of communication from most people is astonishing. People don't want to send an email saying "hey I'm making this change" so you get to spend time the next day playing detective when it doesn't work, only to find out 90 minutes later that a change was made. People don't want to give anyone advance notice of anything, they just want to shoot from the hip and do it when they think of it. The really bananas part is that they see nothing wrong with it, and that's why they never learn and nothing ever improves. The thought process isn't "I know I should do this, but it's too much extra hassle." The thought process is "This is fine."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

We had a customer think that her computers needed to match the ip address of the printer she wanted them to pair up with. She was very mad when we told her we wouldn’t do it and that would make the system unusable.

I take care of some folks that insist on sequential IP's. Server001 gets IP .1

Am unable to convince them it doesn't matter, they want their spreadsheet to look tidy.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

xzzy posted:

I take care of some folks that insist on sequential IP's. Server001 gets IP .1

Am unable to convince them it doesn't matter, they want their spreadsheet to look tidy.

cattle not pets

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If you know the IP and care you're doing it wrong basically.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

do I get a pass if it’s the IP of my DNS server

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I know the IP of one of my servers solely because it's in a /30

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

do I get a pass if it’s the IP of my DNS server

I'm conflicted. On one hand, DHCP... on the other hand, everyone knows Google or Cloudflare DNS servers. Hmm.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I know my gateway ip. That’s about it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I know the IPs to some of my clients’ printers

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

those are just statistically similar to windows 10 keys and are only slightly more likely to work than random numbers

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

those are just statistically similar to windows 10 keys and are only slightly more likely to work than random numbers

Why are you just a negative nancy? I'm gonna have chatgpt talk like a grandma to me for everything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still unemployed and had one of the most baffling tech interviews ever this morning and thought this was a good thread to complain about it in detail

So, it's a frontend web-dev gig. I recognized the coding exercise because it is literally the first Google result for "coderpad react". But this version was a little different! Mostly meaning that all the existing code had been deleted in favor of the standard React "hello world" with the React logo in it and so on. The original version of the project is supposed to take you 30-45 minutes to do, because it's supposed to be used for a tech interview like this one.

But it took me a minute to recognize it, because all that was left of it was the README.md file stating the problem, to which he had added in a bunch of extra tasks, and those tasks kept referencing source code that wasn't there anymore. The first five or ten minutes of the coding exercise was all stuff like

"Okay, so, it, um, it says to change the title 'Todo List' to red. I, uh, don't see that title." *interviewer is silent, on mute, does not unmute self* "I guess this other title that just says 'Hello World' could be it, right?" *more silence* "I'll just, like, change it so it says 'Todo List', and turn it red. There."

and so on and so forth. Like, "turn a thing red" is insultingly easy, but it still confused me and wasted time by referencing code he had deleted, and he didn't bother to explain himself. This isn't challenging; it's just stupid. He took the first Google result for "coderpad react", added in some more tasks, then deleted all the code, and didn't remove references to it from his README. Weird!

Anyway, I had to replace all the missing code and then start on the actual problem requirements and at exactly the 30-minute mark he called time and said he'd seen enough. Dude had places to be. I was supposed to parse his dumb incomprehensible problem-statement, replace all the deleted code from scratch, do his added busywork tasks, AND do the original 30-minute problem, in 30 minutes. I was never really "stuck," I was coding more or less fluently once I figured out what the problem was supposed to be, and the buzzer went off when I was most of the way through my Redux slice, because it was an insane thing to expect me to do in that little time.

He asked if I had any questions. I was like, "so, I've seen this problem before. It's supposed to have more code included to start with."

"Yes, that's true."

"...Am I supposed to have actually finished replacing all the code and done the original problem in thirty minutes?" This is a good-faith question, because sometimes they give you problems you're not actually supposed to finish.

"Yes. It's a very advanced problem."

"...Okay, thanks for your time."

I've been in this industry for like 13 years. I know that actual coding is nothing like this dumb lightning-round bullshit. Can I just skip to the part where I've gotten a goddamn job already please