Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Upsidads posted:

is there no goon Asus Rog Ally thread?

not my favorite shout tbh, but maybe that's just because I never found the Rog word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It is not the dumbest named system and it is not the one that had its case turned into dental equipment housing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APovyGdkhs&t=1s

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Upsidads posted:

I dont got mine yet
Im intrested in it and the steam deck but for games that my switch wont play and generally are novel to play on the go.
however that list I want to play on handheld is rough,
Highfleet, Hero's Hour, Dwarf Fortress, Rift Wizard

Dwarf Fortress is extremely good on the Deck but I shudder at the thought of playing on a handheld without trackpads

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

woke kaczynski posted:

Dwarf Fortress is extremely good on the Deck but I shudder at the thought of playing on a handheld without trackpads

Trackpads were not a chore? hmmmm I know I dont even wanna attempt on the Ally

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GhostDog posted:

Sadly I think I'm done with the System Shock Remake. I'm on Executive and the cyberspace level there at some point throws you into a funnel full of mines, I have no idea how to get through there. I wish they let you change the difficulty mid game, cyberspace is incredibly tiresome and it takes far too long to take down all of these waves again just to repeatedly die at the same part.

You dodge the mines or just stay in one lane and shoot them all!

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Also you can hold back to slow down a bit and have more time to shoot/dodge

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Played demo and immediately wishlisted Jusant. I just really like climbing in videogames. In fact, every few years I think about installing Unity or Unreal and trying to remake Chamonix Challenge, a climbing sim from the Amiga days. Back then you'd only have one button so you had to cycle through the limbs to move them individually, nowadays you could map every limb to a trigger (RT,RB,LT,LB) and make a very deliberate "skill-based" climbing system I think. Jusant kinda does that with the arms but is still pretty simple in execution and more interested in the overall navigation puzzle than the nitty gritty of hand&footholds and stamina management.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jarvisi posted:

You dodge the mines or just stay in one lane and shoot them all!

Yeah, I got past it after a few more tries. I really just needed to vent :), the rest of the game is far too good to give up on it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Upsidads posted:

is there no goon Asus Rog Ally thread?
I hope it gets some love from the community. I don't have one, nor am I planning on getting one, but more options means better products for everyone. It'll be really interesting to see if people make a slimmed down version of Windows to run on it, sort of like BartPE or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GhostDog posted:

Played demo and immediately wishlisted Jusant. I just really like climbing in videogames. In fact, every few years I think about installing Unity or Unreal and trying to remake Chamonix Challenge, a climbing sim from the Amiga days. Back then you'd only have one button so you had to cycle through the limbs to move them individually, nowadays you could map every limb to a trigger (RT,RB,LT,LB) and make a very deliberate "skill-based" climbing system I think. Jusant kinda does that with the arms but is still pretty simple in execution and more interested in the overall navigation puzzle than the nitty gritty of hand&footholds and stamina management.

I'm super interested to see what else the game will offer beyond its very cool climbing system. I wishlisted the hell out of it after the demo myself.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Cross posting from the Roguelikes thread. Not sure how long the free playtest is going on, but if you click "request access" you should get in immediately. I am loving hooked on this game!

Artelier posted:

Got my first Balatro win after 7+ hours I highly recommend this game if the words "single player poker roguelite" tickles your brain in any way there's a free playtest going on right now on Steam I really appreciate all the gems this thread brings anyway please play Balatro

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lamplighter's Leauge looks super charming and fun. Indiana Jones XCOM? What a combo

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Eason the Fifth posted:

Indiana Jones XCOM? What a combo

If that's your jam, you may want to take a look at Pathway.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Cross posting from the Roguelikes thread. Not sure how long the free playtest is going on, but if you click "request access" you should get in immediately. I am loving hooked on this game!

Phenomenal game, presentation and mechanics are top notch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m getting crashes in the Division 2. Should switching to the DX11 version help?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I’m getting crashes in the Division 2. Should switching to the DX11 version help?

It might.

The game had that issue since launch and they haven't fixed it since.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you still not share Steam Input layouts between games? This was very simple to do before the ui update.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Can you still not share Steam Input layouts between games? This was very simple to do before the ui update.

Okay so you can, but it's more convoluted than it should be.

First, save the layout as a template not a "personal save".

And next, restart steam, because the template won't show up for other games before you do this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did they ever add a way to hide all games from a specific dev/publisher? maybe an addon or something

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Awesome! posted:

did they ever add a way to hide all games from a specific dev/publisher? maybe an addon or something

If the dev/publisher is using the new "hub" layout, yes, there's an "ignore/report/follow" dev button. If not, no.

In theory they'd make that the default at some point, but years later and still no massive QoL shift in that department.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

FishMcCool posted:

If that's your jam, you may want to take a look at Pathway.

Pathway is a touch simple and repetitive compared to XCOM, but if you like the genre and setting it's worth a look.

Also, it has some achievements to be proud of

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there a way to show the news popup that appears when steam launches again? It bugged out because I updated my GPU drivers, but I always enjoy browsing through it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Is there a way to show the news popup that appears when steam launches again? It bugged out because I updated my GPU drivers, but I always enjoy browsing through it.
You want Update News from the menu.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hogama posted:

You want Update News from the menu.

Nice, thanks!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The big client overhaul that's been in beta for a bit just released for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jv24NjOWQ

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Kins posted:

The big client overhaul that's been in beta for a bit just released for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jv24NjOWQ
Holy poo poo. The on-screen notes (and potentially maps) just made every game a billion times more user-friendly.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Oh the Steam update removed support for forcing the old big picture mode so I guess Steam Link is just useless to me now. Ever since they changed to the new Steam Deck style interface poo poo has been completely broken for me playing certain type of games. Playing games with non standard launching options like say, Gamepass games or certain modded games the Steam Deck style Steam Link will fail to hand over input control, so my game has video and audio working, but using my controller will control an invisible Steam interface that's behind the game instead of the game which takes no input from the controller at all. Forcing old big picture mode had everything work correctly. What a bummer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Joe Man posted:

Holy poo poo. The on-screen notes (and potentially maps) just made every game a billion times more user-friendly.

Yeah this actually seems pretty sweet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Oh the Steam update removed support for forcing the old big picture mode so I guess Steam Link is just useless to me now. Ever since they changed to the new Steam Deck style interface poo poo has been completely broken for me playing certain type of games. Playing games with non standard launching options like say, Gamepass games or certain modded games the Steam Deck style Steam Link will fail to hand over input control, so my game has video and audio working, but using my controller will control an invisible Steam interface that's behind the game instead of the game which takes no input from the controller at all. Forcing old big picture mode had everything work correctly. What a bummer.

Sorry for not remembering how to do it but there is a way to use Steam Link to close out of big picture and just be streaming your desktop with normal Steam. That might allow you to run things with secondary launchers and stuff?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

playing Summer Game Fest demos.. this time I'm NOT going to inundate you with screencaps galore because, well, you've seen enough of them!

comparing Antonblast to Wario Land 4, one thing I'll say is that the feel is MOSTLY right. charging through things like a rampaging bull, collecting lots of gems, reaching the end of the stage and then needing to scurry back before time runs out. there are some differences, like a hammer jump move that allows you to bounce off the ground and jump a little higher. you can also play as Anton's daughter which I didn't know was a thing, and she's a fun little gremlin of a character. oh another difference is that the run back does change some things. granted, some of Wario Land 4's runbacks had changes to the level design, but in Antonblast i was going through a number of new screens, and a bit where i was being chased by people on a helicopter smashing through buildings. the game is very destructive in nature, lots of smashing and crashing. idk if I'm 100% sold on the level design yet but I also missed a fair number of secrets so I may not be giving it enough credit. Grade: A-

Ducky's Delivery Service is.. fine, it's a game that combines lunar lander with mail delivery, you're flying around on a propeller delivering gifts to people but each time you bonk on something the package gets damaged. you also get bonus points and time on the clock if you throw the gift at a mailbox which of course requires the right momentum and is a high risk/high reward. that's all good... what I don't like is the game structure. you start with 60 seconds on the clock and just keep delivering mail until time runs out (anyone you get a package from just pulls out another package immediately) and you get up to three stars depending on how many points you scored. this I feel like is more appropriate for a specific endless kinda gamemode, not an actual level-by-level game. it ends up taking something that is kinda fun and makes it dull. I would much prefer if each person only had one package and the goal was just to deliver all of the packages before time ran out. it'd be tense rather than boring! Grade: C

Toxic Crusaders is going for the TMNT Shredder's Revenge look and feel. the look is there absolutely. the spritework is great and there's a lot of personality to the animations, and the music has that 16-bit orchestral hit arcade sound that you want. the UI is a bit mobile-looking and there's no lives counter or score? that's weird to me, maybe it was just for the demo but a brawler with infinite lives seems weird to me. I'm fine with that as an option but I feel like the game needs some sort of fail state, whether it's replaying the current room, dropping your score to zero (if it existed!), something like that. the moves could stand to be a little more complex as well, in 2023 brawlers have gotten pretty advanced and just going by the 90s moveset is not gonna cut it anymore. you can punch in one single combo, you can dash (and dash attack), jump then down+attack, a special attack button, and grab. grabs are REALLY EASY right now, they're basically free. so there's some stuff to work on, but the game is coming out in 2024 so they have time to build it up. Grade: B-

Botany Manor is what I expected it to be, an investigative puzzle game disguised as a planting game. you get mysterious seeds, then you research them by looking for clues and then placing the budding plant in the right location and conditions to get it to grow. it's promising! but it's a little basic at the beginning, which is all the demo has (the first two seeds) so it's tough to know just how tricky the game is going to become or if it will remain fairly casual. the look is great and vibrant but there's some polish issues, apparently it's causing motion sickness in some people, and there was a bug in selecting clues on the second page (it just acted like the second page of clues didn't exist). Grade: B

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, to the surprise of zero people exactly, my new Steam client is slow, jittery, and has visual bugs and flickers.

Hurray.

edit: and a bunch of windows can't be resized meaning there's now horizontal scrolling, this thing is a mess.

edit2: yea and a bunch of stuff has regressed, like it reinterpreting exit commands as minimize, friends list popping up on boot, etc. I strongly suggest that you hold off on the update for a while.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 15, 2023

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serephina posted:

Well, to the surprise of zero people exactly, my new Steam client is slow, jittery, and has visual bugs and flickers.

Hurray.

lmao the webhelper now takes 500 mb of system memory and the more poo poo you open the more memory it takes, I assume because each window you launch in the new overlay is a new chromium instance

elon musk is proud

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Kins posted:

Somehow they managed to break the Steam Input layout selector menu again. I swear I'm the only user of this feature given how broken it always is.

I just uploaded a new layout for System Shock and the menu shows two new layouts, neither of which is actually the one I uploaded, and now I can't delete them either.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone getting out of memory errors on Linux by chance? This is kinda garbo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I dislike the cut of this new jib.

mostly because it's different after a decade or whatever

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Controllers no longer work at all in any game for me now, cool! :thumbsup:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Somehow they managed to break the Steam Input layout selector menu again. I swear I'm the only user of this feature given how broken it always is.

I just uploaded a new layout for System Shock and the menu shows two new layouts, neither of which is actually the one I uploaded, and now I can't delete them either.

Maybe a different issue, but did you try restarting Steam after uploading the templates?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

maybe not ready for prime time

(screenshot manager)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

maybe not ready for prime time

(screenshot manager)
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A bunch of function buttons just take a screenshot now for some loving reason.