Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
is that something archaeologists dug up in their ammunition depots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Let's hope Russia never develops pallet technology.

They actually did but all wood went into building dachas.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Why invest in pallet technology if you are too poo poo to invest in forklifts?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/dim0kq/status/1668573452947578882

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

40 million Ukrainians have died during this counteroffensive. The country now has negative population

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What century does Russia think it is?

Legitimate question

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:lol:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1669054786577022976

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They are trying to make Russian soldiers gay by giving them comforts like warmth

Next think you know the woke Ukraine will give them food and clean water... This is the downfall of the east.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

How considerate, they also have footwraps for the li'l arty shells so they don't get cold

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Icept posted:

How considerate, they also have footwraps for the li'l arty shells so they don't get cold

conscripts are self-heating. it's more important that we wrap the shells

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Are the pointy ones tank rounds?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Yes, for T-62 obr. 2023 apparently

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The next shipment will be just a piece of paper with instructions on how to make convincing gun noises with your mouth

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

spankmeister posted:

They look like apfsds (sabot) tank rounds, however their primary tanks (t-64, T-72, t-80, and t-90) all use two-piece ammunition for their autoloader, there look to be single piece. Maybe ammo for the t62 or t55?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
How old do you think those shells are? 30 years? 40 years?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Look, 50 years ago Russia had the second greatest army in the world. By the same logic, those must be the second greatest artillery rounds in the world. Get owned, westoids.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HonorableTB posted:

How old do you think those shells are? 30 years? 40 years?

Check their regdates and usernames to be sure.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Disco Pope posted:

that only maybe helps, depends what theater they posted in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Those shells are so old Nikita Khrushchev pounded his shoes on it

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spankmeister posted:

They look like ancient 115mm 3BM-6 ammo from the 60s or 70s.
Possibly stored in some open air tin shed in Siberia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They double as AP mines

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
To go back to the "actually nukes are cool and Godly" author, here's the first line of his previous article dated Feb 2, 2022:

quote:

Russian troops near the border of Ukraine are not going to move into the country.

A+ prognostication there! Gonna take my nuke advice from this guy for sure.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Are those shells for artillery, or like wood painted to look like shells?

Lmao

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

doomguy_at_the_dinner_table.gif but it's ATACMS!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Disco Pope posted:

I prefer to call myself a husk, not a shell TYVM!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

i said shells not coupons & deals pos- oh

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Are those shells for artillery, or like wood painted to look like shells?

Lmao

Not for arty, but for tanks. The Soviets built 22000+ T-62:s, and enough ammo to fight a WW3 with them, of which almost none got used because the tank is poo poo and they moved to a better one as soon as they could, and the ammo is not compatible with anything better. So they have millions of rounds of 50+ year old tank ammo in storage. The positive is not running out, the negative is that, well, it's all 50 years old and apparently not stored very well, good luck!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

Not for arty, but for tanks. The Soviets built 22000+ T-62:s, and enough ammo to fight a WW3 with them, of which almost none got used because the tank is poo poo and they moved to a better one as soon as they could, and the ammo is not compatible with anything better. So they have millions of rounds of 50+ year old tank ammo in storage. The positive is not running out, the negative is that, well, it's all 50 years old and apparently not stored very well, good luck!

HEY DMITRY THERE'S A LEOPARD 2 BLYAT LOAD THE SHELL! FIRE!

:blyat:

**respawn**

HEY DMITRY THERE'S A CHALLENGER 2! FIRE!

curse these big suka sukhoi shells

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With the storm shadows being given I wonder how long it is until someone goes gently caress it it's tomahawk time.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Suka sugoi senpai

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia was independent from the west for a whole hour and twenty minutes.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

With the storm shadows being given I wonder how long it is until someone goes gently caress it it's tomahawk time.

wouldn't that be a downgrade? I guess maybe we have tons kicking around that we'd be happy to "oh uhhh yeah I guess these were slated for decomm next year, have at it"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tiaz posted:

wouldn't that be a downgrade? I guess maybe we have tons kicking around that we'd be happy to "oh uhhh yeah I guess these were slated for decomm next year, have at it"

Much longer range, I think? Maybe we could hit Vladivostok finally.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

Russia was independent from the west for a whole hour and twenty minutes.

Im laughing way too hard at this

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Tomahawks are fun :getin:

Thing is though, you need a navy to use the ones that most people think of when they hear "Tomahawk", and while you would be forgiven for assuming that a country which has taken out 18 ships and boats of the Black Sea fleet including its flagship, Ukraine does not have any naval platforms that can fire a Tomahawk.

I don't think the US would hand over any of the air or ground launch variants either, not least because since 2019 only the sea launched variants have been manufactured (by Raytheon). The Army uises Tomahawk land variants to fulfill mid-range capability requirements in addition to ground-based SM-6s which will be deployed in tandem in late 2023. The Army may not have enough land variants to be able to send Ukraine any.

The Air Force only operated the nuclear armed version of the Tomahawk, the BGM-109G Gryphon. Those have been out of manufacture for years as well. For obvious reasons, the US is not giving Gryphons.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 14, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah yes, but what about the US stock pile of hippogriffs?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Isn't this an Abrams?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

HEY DMITRY THERE'S A LEOPARD 2 BLYAT LOAD THE SHELL! FIRE!

:blyat:

**respawn**

HEY DMITRY THERE'S A CHALLENGER 2! FIRE!

curse these big suka sukhoi shells

Its funny that they actually do that like in the cartoons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

Tomahawks are fun :getin:

Thing is though, you need a navy to use the ones that most people think of when they hear "Tomahawk", and while you would be forgiven for assuming that a country which has taken out 18 ships and boats of the Black Sea fleet including its flagship, Ukraine does not have any naval platforms that can fire a Tomahawk.

I don't think the US would hand over any of the air or ground launch variants either, not least because since 2019 only the sea launched variants have been manufactured (by Raytheon). The Army uises Tomahawk land variants to fulfill mid-range capability requirements in addition to ground-based SM-6s which will be deployed in tandem in late 2023. The Army may not have enough land variants to be able to send Ukraine any.

The Air Force only operated the nuclear armed version of the Tomahawk, the BGM-109G Gryphon. Those have been out of manufacture for years as well. For obvious reasons, the US is not giving Gryphons.

The MIC already has a perfect solution for Ukraine's newly acquired Antonov planes actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0jL1d7MscM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

McGavin posted:

Isn't this an Abrams?

Yes but it's a reference image that came from this article about an Indian T-90 bought from Russia doing that so i thought it should count, and also because it's hilarious that they actually do the cartoon thing

https://imrmedia.in/t-90-tank-barrel-burst-kills-2-armymen/

mobby_6kl posted:

The MIC already has a perfect solution for Ukraine's newly acquired Antonov planes actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0jL1d7MscM

lmao that's incredible. The US military industrial complex is simply unparalleled in new, creative ways to reach out and touch someone.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 14, 2023