Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hell, student loans restarting are one of the things helping economic numbers.

In what way?

None of the major fed metrics factor those in specifically. It also hasn't happened yet, so Q2 figures wouldn't capture it even if they did count them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem is that there is a disconnect between "the economy looks to be doing better" and day-to-day life. It's like when people say "the stock market is up so the economy is up" and yes I know that stock market numbers != economy, but the messaging here is the same: the numbers are going up but there is no perceivable difference in daily life. And at the end of the day, the average person doesn't give a single poo poo about whatever metric is used to measure the economy, they only care about the number in their bank account after buying food and paying to survive.

Except it's often literally the opposite with a large swath of the population reporting that their own financial circumstances are stable/improving while expressing deep malaise about "the economy." That's a big part of the weirdness of the current situation.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's this and it's weird to think that people who are not excited that the stock market is doing better while their own lives are not are actually just resistant to good news. Hell, student loans restarting are one of the things helping economic numbers.

There is also a lot of tribalism going on. It could be pissing dollar bills from the sky and the Republicans will never admit it worked because they can't ever concede that government intervention can improve the economy. Also, the media doesn't want to give Democrats any action for good economies because they don't want to be perceived as in the tank AND they need narratives to make horse races a thing.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Except it's often literally the opposite with a large swath of the population reporting that their own financial circumstances are stable/improving while expressing deep malaise about "the economy." That's a big part of the weirdness of the current situation.

Perhaps they simultaneously recognize that while they might be fine at the moment, many people out there are not, and they could quickly join those people if they had a sudden medical emergency, got laid off unexpectedly, stuff like that? Because that's basically how I'm feeling.

edit: idk how the word field got in there

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 14, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem is that there is a disconnect between "the economy looks to be doing better" and day-to-day life. It's like when people say "the stock market is up so the economy is up" and yes I know that stock market numbers != economy, but the messaging here is the same: the numbers are going up but there is no perceivable difference in daily life. And at the end of the day, the average person doesn't give a single poo poo about whatever metric is used to measure the economy, they only care about the number in their bank account after buying food and paying to survive.

That would certainly make sense. But these surveys usually ask people both about "the economy" and their personal financial situation, and people are more positive about their finances than the nation as a whole. NYT from last year

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is also a lot of tribalism going on. It could be pissing dollar bills from the sky and the Republicans will never admit it worked because they can't ever concede that government intervention can improve the economy. Also, the media doesn't want to give Democrats any action for good economies because they don't want to be perceived as in the tank AND they need narratives to make horse races a thing.

Bolded:
I don't think it's anything that sophisticated. I think it's just that good news doesn't get views. 24 hour news means they're constantly looking for a reason for viewers to stay with them, and so will look for, and broadcast, anything bad that's going on.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Queering Wheel posted:

Perhaps they simultaneously recognize that while they might be fine at the moment, many people out there are not, and they could quickly join those people if they had a sudden medical field emergency, got laid off unexpectedly, stuff like that? Because that's basically how I'm feeling.

There's a reason why I compare it to how the 1970s-1990s crime wave evaporated but left people even more fearful 20+ years later. Because even as violence dropped by more than half people were hyper-aware that it could happen to them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Velocity Raptor posted:

Bolded:
I don't think it's anything that sophisticated. I think it's just that good news doesn't get views. 24 hour news means they're constantly looking for a reason for viewers to stay with them, and so will look for, and broadcast, anything bad that's going on.

^^ This is largely responsible for This vv

Killer robot posted:

There's a reason why I compare it to how the 1970s-1990s crime wave evaporated but left people even more fearful 20+ years later. Because even as violence dropped by more than half people were hyper-aware that it could happen to them.

Every day in the 24 hour news cycle (supplemented by Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc.) is a nonstop celebration of potential or actual blood being spilled. Doesn't matter where you go for news, viewership depends on fear. The old phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is still true today.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

Bolded:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Every day in the 24 hour news cycle (supplemented by Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc.) is a nonstop celebration of potential or actual blood being spilled. Doesn't matter where you go for news, viewership depends on fear. The old phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is still true today.

Is it? I imagine you are both likely correct, but I tend to not watch cable news partly because it is so depressing and negative. I also tend to turn it off so my kids aren't asking about shootings, fentanyl, or how bad Mr. Trump is both being charged with crimes and running for President. I know many others say they don't watch the news because it is too depressing, but I suppose they could just say that and still wouldn't watch it even if it wasn't a constant peddling of negativity and fearmongering.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Edward Mass posted:

Senate Democrats press for Justice Department inquiry into PGA Tour-LIV Golf merger

It's also been recently uncovered that the PGA couldn't withstand a prolonged legal fight, since their cash reserves are less than 8,000 times as big as the PIF's cash reserves.
I have seen discussion that if a merger is being done to end litigation between two companies that may be illegal. I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that's correct or not, but it came up last week when the merger was announced.

It should be blocked because it essentially puts one company in charge of pro golf at minimum.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ither posted:

The way kids are allowed to abuse each other in US schools baffles me.

Take the "classic" stuffing someone in a locker.

If that happened with adults, that would be assault.

But because its kids, its often treated as a joke.

I’m a boomer and I will share that teachers, particularly gym teachers, encouraged fighting.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hope the mods will forgive a non-substantive post for me to just point out that I really like this formatting. :golfclap:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

It should be blocked because it essentially puts one company in charge of pro golf at minimum.

I'm not a golf expert, but wasn't this the case before the LIV was founded and it was just the PGA?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It should be blocked on the grounds that if it doesn't go through, LIV will consume PGA one way or the other at this point now that everyone knows what's up and who they can trust. The proposed deal aside from everything else is an open admission that the PGA is losing. PGA golfers should be able to leave that ship and get paid at LIV if the only other outcome for them is "gently caress you."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm not a golf expert, but wasn't this the case before the LIV was founded and it was just the PGA?

The Euro tour was a separate entity.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

World Famous W posted:

the secret was to bully the bullies yourself before the bullies bullied you

FTFY

please do not enquire about my lifelong issues with self esteem

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh no, if that were to happen, the consequences would be... well, irrelevant actually, because who gives a flying gently caress about pro golf?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Presto posted:

The Euro tour was a separate entity.

The Euro tour doesn't compete against the PGA in the US, right? Google says it is actually part of the PGA.

I think the PGA was basically the only golf group in the U.S. before the LIV. Most sports organizations have anti-trust exemptions in the U.S.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PT6A posted:

Oh no, if that were to happen, the consequences would be... well, irrelevant actually, because who gives a flying gently caress about pro golf?
This isn't really about pro golf so much as it is about the Saudis essentially buying an entire sport with blood money

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ither posted:

Joke's on you kids are no longer allowed to have lockers in public school and instead have to haul everything around with them in clear plastic backpacks (if they're allowed those) because 'they could be dealing drugs out of there' + 'school shooters could hide guns in there.'

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Edward Mass posted:

Senate Democrats press for Justice Department inquiry into PGA Tour-LIV Golf merger

It's also been recently uncovered that the PGA couldn't withstand a prolonged legal fight, since their cash reserves are less than 8,000 times as big as the PIF's cash reserves.

This whole thing is a bit of a joke and it seems extremely unlikely to go through.

The PGA is already walking back the word "merger", the head of the PGA Tour has openly said they're trying to remove competition, the PIF has called the PGA a monopoly (ergoing merging with them would make it a supermonopoly?), they apparently didn't have antitrust counsel looking into the deal while working on it, etc.

Of all the mergers that have been attempted under Biden, this is probably the most egregious and the real question is who is going to block it first.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Euro tour doesn't compete against the PGA in the US, right? Google says it is actually part of the PGA.

I think the PGA was basically the only golf group in the U.S. before the LIV. Most sports organizations have anti-trust exemptions in the U.S.

I think only MLB has anti-trust exemptions. The NFL has run into anti-trust issues when trying to sell TV rights in the past.

PGA is a weird one because of how short lived the “competition” was.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Do they? I know the MLB explicitly does, but I wasn't aware of any others - unless they're using the same legal argument as MLB (I don't know what that is) that they should be exempt.

Edit: I think it's mostly that that the NBA/NFL/PGA/NHL have reached such a critical mass that anyone else is able to challenge them, if they can come up with the funding to do so. LIV explicitly did that with the PGA.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do they? I know the MLB explicitly does, but I wasn't aware of any others - unless they're using the same legal argument as MLB (I don't know what that is) that they should be exempt.

Edit: I think it's mostly that that the NBA/NFL/PGA/NHL have reached such a critical mass that anyone else is able to challenge them, if they can come up with the funding to do so. LIV explicitly did that with the PGA.

Baseball, football, hockey, and basketball all have statutory anti-trust exemptions in the U.S.

https://www.antitrustinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/USandEuropeExemption.pdf

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Edit: never mind, beaten

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Baseball, football, hockey, and basketball all have statutory anti-trust exemptions in the U.S.

https://www.antitrustinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/USandEuropeExemption.pdf

I’m not reading all 35 pages, but the third page of this says that only baseball has exemption and the others would be subject to anti-trust lawsuits under “Rule of Reason” but not “per se.” Which I guess is weaker but they still apply.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’m not reading all 35 pages, but the third page of this says that only baseball has exemption and the others would be subject to anti-trust lawsuits under “Rule of Reason” but not “per se.” Which I guess is weaker but they still apply.

Yeah, Baseball has 100% exemption from the Sherman anti-trust act.

Football, hockey, and basketball all have specific statutory exemptions from anti-trust law (mostly related to selling TV rights - every individual NFL team in the U.S. is allowed to have a monopoly on their broadcasting rights) passed by congress.

Baseball is a weird one because of a famous Supreme Court case from the 20's where they ruled that baseball didn't qualify as "interstate commerce" and was exempt. This was mostly the same court that eventually tried to crackdown on most parts of the New Deal by applying extremely limited definitions of "interstate commerce" to everything and exempting them from regulation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Professor Beetus posted:

FTFY

please do not enquire about my lifelong issues with self esteem

Fun fact! *

Most people who have been bullied internalize their bullies and become their own bully for the rest of their lives.

* - Not actually fun at all

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Yeah, Baseball has 100% exemption from the Sherman anti-trust act.

Football, hockey, and basketball all have specific statutory exemptions from anti-trust law (mostly related to selling TV rights - every individual NFL team in the U.S. is allowed to have a monopoly on their broadcasting rights) passed by congress.

Baseball is a weird one because of a famous Supreme Court case from the 20's where they ruled that baseball didn't qualify as "interstate commerce" and was exempt. This was mostly the same court that eventually tried to crackdown on most parts of the New Deal by applying extremely limited definitions of "interstate commerce" to everything and exempting them from regulation.

Ah, I misunderstood and thought that you meant they had full exemptions.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Looks like that murderer who murdered a homeless man on the NY subway by choking him for several minutes just got indicted today for 2nd degree manslaughter. Seems like the correct charge, since 2nd degree murder would have a much higher bar to clear. Hopefully he gets the max sentence to dissuade other would be vigilantes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think the argument is that all the A10, F16, F18, AV8, Harrier and Sea Harrier airframes are aging and too expensive to upgrade beyond a certain point. Upgrading the avionics of those older planes beyond a certain point might also not be a cost-effective option. Better stealth design is more important than ever too. War has changed enough that you're probably better off moving forward with the F35 instead of trying to keeping all this older stuff from the 70s and 80s going.

I'm of two minds about all that.

From a purely selfish perspective, I would rather see airframes designed in the 21st century over getting more orders for T-34 parts with 27 ADCNs that were never committed and the like, pre CAD airplane engineering is absolute hell. More generally there comes a certain point where it's less cost effective to keep 40+ year old airframes operational than to graduate to newer designs that can take advantage of advances in both capabilities and how they were designed to be manufactured. It costs a lot of money to reverse engineer a part that was basically build to tool when the tooling doesn't exist anymore, and that is an increasingly common scenario when it comes to a lot of what the air force is flying right now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like that murderer who murdered a homeless man on the NY subway by choking him for several minutes just got indicted today for 2nd degree manslaughter. Seems like the correct charge, since 2nd degree murder would have a much higher bar to clear. Hopefully he gets the max sentence to dissuade other would be vigilantes.

better law knowers than I are adamant that the facts match murder (something like depraved indifference or whatever words ny uses; the guy knew enough to know what he was doing was life threatening), but prosecution strategy and the actual accurate charge aren't the same thing

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The risk is that a not guilty verdict could backfire, so it's probably better to go for a lesser (but still very serious charge) in this case.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mooseontheloose posted:

There's a weird situation going on right now where the folks who are spending money like it's going out of style (Boomers specifically) should be okay where the economy is right now but are still pissed because of Dark Brandon or whatever. Spending year over year is almost even, but it would be negative if not for boomers.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/12/economy/consumer-spending-baby-boomers-millennials/index.html

quote:

Baby Boomers are living it up, splurging on cruises and restaurants. Younger Americans are struggling just to keep up.

Bank of America internal data shows a “significant gap” in spending has opened recently between older and younger generations.

While Baby Boomers and even Traditionalists (born 1928-1945) are ramping up spending, Gen X, Gen Z and Millennials are cutting back as they grapple with high housing costs and looming student debt payments.

“It’s fairly unusual,” David Tinsley, senior economist at the Bank of America Institute, told CNN in a phone interview.

Overall, household spending dipped 0.2% year-over-year in May, according to the bank’s card data — but the generational breakdown showed a more varied picture.

Spending increased by 5.3% for Traditionalists and 2.2% for Baby Boomers. In contrast, spending fell by about 1.5% for younger generations.

If not for the aggressive spending by Boomers, Tinsley said, overall consumer spending would have been even more negative.

Social Security payments get a big boost

So, what is going on?

Older Americans are ramping up spending as they benefit from a spike in Social Security payments.

Starting in January, Social Security recipients received an 8.7% cost-of-living adjustment, the biggest increase since 1981. That increase — caused directly by high inflation — is boosting the average retirees’ monthly payments by an estimated $146.

Bank of America spending data shows a noticeable bump in spending by households that received the cost-of-living boost.

However, the bank noticed the spending surge by older Americans is happening among high-income households too. And those consumers are less likely to be impacted by the spike in Social Security payments.

“That can’t be the whole story,” Tinsley said of the cost-of-living adjustments.

To explain the drop in spending by younger Americans, Bank of America pointed to high housing costs. In recent years, rental rates spiked, home prices soared and mortgage rates surged.

Younger Americans are also much more likely to move than older ones.

“The people who do move are really facing quite significant cost increases,” said Tinsley.

Bank of America has noted that older consumers are spending on travel, including hotels, airfare and cruises, now that the Covid emergency is over.

Due to Covid fears, older generations held back on travel during the pandemic, but now they are “splurging,” Tinsley said.
The dreaded return of student debt payments

Beyond the high cost of living, Bank of America said many younger Americans are also likely bracing for the return of a significant monthly expense: student debt.

The bipartisan debt ceiling deal included a provision that specifically prevented the Biden administration from extending the pause on federal student loan payments.

The student debt freeze, in effect since March 2020 when the Covid pandemic erupted, is expected to conclude by the end of August.

That is particularly painful to younger consumers. Americans are sitting on $1.6 trillion of student debt, according to the New York Federal Reserve, and the vast majority of that student debt is held by those under the age of 49.

For millions of Gen Z and Millennials, the return of student debt payments will mean less money for spending on restaurants and vacations.

Some consumers may be starting to pull back on spending ahead of that change, Tinsley said: “It’s coming down the tracks pretty fast now.”

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 15, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Not a lawyer but isn't it common to charge both murder and manslaughter under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_included_offense

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ither posted:

Just from a teacher perspective, "classic bullying" doesn't really happen anymore. In ten years I've never seen a kid get stuffed in a locker, get food dumped on them, tripped in the hallway. I graduate in 08 and remember some such acations, but even then I think it was way more prevalent in the '80s and 90s, as my brother got it a lot then.

Most of the violence/bullying we do see is kids planning to fight via social media or planning on jumping people via social media. And the vast majority of bullying happens on social media too, where the teachers are unaware until it turns into a fight in real life. I've seen occasional "traditional" forms of bullying, like name-calling or harassing in-person, but it's pretty rare and gets dealt with quickly, so maybe that's one reason kids don't engage it anymore. More likely it is because kids can hide those actions on social media.

In my state schools aren't allowed to press charges against students for violent actions (Like bringing guns to school or attacking students) if they're under the age of 17, and this past year we've seen a huge uptick in such actions.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 15, 2023

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In mine, fighting back bought you a little breathing space, then you got hauled in for fighting and sanctimoniously lectured about "how it takes two to tango" and other such boomer bullshit.

Just want you to know I felt this post.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
When I was in school people were getting jumped on almost a weekly basis.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

koolkal posted:

Not a lawyer but isn't it common to charge both murder and manslaughter under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_included_offense

Pretty sure this is either the Judge's discretion or not possible in NY criminal court. This was discussed wrt the Trump indictment and the choice to charge the Felony and not the slam dunk misdemeanor. But I also am not a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

The media doesn’t help this by reporting public opinion of the economy as if it wasn’t a strict partisan divide. “Oh, 70% of Americans think the economy is bad!” - well, 50% are going to tell you it’s bad no matter what, because to quote Abe Simpson, the president is a Demmy Crat!

What's interesting is that the partisan divide on the economy cuts both ways: Under Trump a majority of Democrats thought it was bad & the lines literally switched with each other once Biden took office.