Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why does tumblr even need a subreddit? Just go to tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

laserghost posted:

The quality of their app deteriorates quickly, too. I had to uninstall it from my phone because opening the message from notifications made all the channels and contacts display only the said message, requiring to force close the app and reopen

They literally stopped making a proper Android version and now it's just shoddy ports of the IOS one.

Thing is Discord basically took off scooping up a lot of people who Microsoft had run off of Skype, and former users of MSN Messenger and whatever the gently caress it turned into after those platforms got steadily enshittified and had all their features removed one by one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Speaking of Discord, for various reasons I don't have access to the email address tied to my account anymore. I just tried to change it finally and it says that they need to send a verification code to my inaccessible email address, OR I need to contact that provider to regain access in order to change the email on my Discord account.

I get the need for security practices but this seems really wrong to me.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Clarste posted:

Why does tumblr even need a subreddit? Just go to tumblr.

Why does SA need a reddit thread?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

tractor fanatic posted:

Why does SA need a reddit thread?

That threads actually full of redditors planing and scheming on how to take SA down from the inside, but Shhh, don't tell anyone it's a secrete.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'd have assumed it was all banned people.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Good to see that Euronamyous is keeping busy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Good to see that Euronamyous is keeping busy.

I thought he was dead

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/google-may-soon-be-ordered-to-break-up-its-lucrative-ad-business-eu-warns/

Imagine I posted a picture of Vestager with red laser eyes.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/amir/status/1668994856348266499

Let them fight.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of Discord, for various reasons I don't have access to the email address tied to my account anymore. I just tried to change it finally and it says that they need to send a verification code to my inaccessible email address, OR I need to contact that provider to regain access in order to change the email on my Discord account.

I get the need for security practices but this seems really wrong to me.

For me it was after not having logged in for a while, I was asked to enter my two factor auth that I never enabled in the first place and just like that my account was unrecoverable and I said oh well those silly chat rooms weren’t very useful anyway.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lol why? I can think of no problem where I would say "hmmm let's ask the YouTube comment section for insight"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

VikingofRock posted:

Lol why? I can think of no problem where I would say "hmmm let's ask the YouTube comment section for insight"

My goon read the screenshot embedded in the tweet at least. It’s literally right there.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

My goon read the screenshot embedded in the tweet at least. It’s literally right there.

Lol gently caress. My excuse is that I'm recovering from surgery at the moment so my reading comprehension is not at its best

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1669147857230626817

:cawg:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Did Google leak that YT training data issue (I bet some TOC someplace allows it) to distract from that EU finding that their manipulation of ad markets is even worse than most cynical takes?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/google-may-soon-be-ordered-to-break-up-its-lucrative-ad-business-eu-warns/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
This website is amazing and I don’t want human content ever again.

quote:

The Best Month to Travel to Portugal: Exploring the Perfect Weather
Introduction

Portugal is an enchanting destination with its breathtaking beaches, vibrant culture, and picturesque countryside. But when is the best time of year to visit this European paradise? Knowing when to go is essential for enjoying the perfect weather, taking advantage of low season deals, and maximizing your Portugal vacation.

Exploring Portugal’s Perfect Weather: What is the Best Month to Travel?

When it comes to planning a trip to Portugal, the two main questions travelers have are: what is the best season for sightseeing and adventure, and what is the right time of year to visit? Utilizing Portugal’s ideal climate can help you determine the optimal month to travel.

Discovering Portugal’s Best Season for Sightseeing and Adventure

Portugal’s Mediterranean climate offers mild temperatures that are perfect for outdoor activities. In the winter months (December through February) temperatures reach a low of 5-10°C (41-50°F) in the north and 10-15°C (50-59°F) in the south. In the summer months (June through August), temperatures reach a high of 25-35°C (77-95°F). The sun shines an average of 10 hours per day in Portugal, so no matter when you visit, you’ll be able to enjoy the outdoors.

Finding the Right Time of Year to Visit Portugal: What is the Best Month?

To find out what the best month to travel to Portugal is, it’s important to examine the factors that affect its weather. These include the country’s location, altitude, and proximity to the sea. It’s also important to understand when each region of Portugal is at its best.

Enjoying Portugal’s Ideal Climate: When is the Best Time to Go?

The best time to visit Portugal’s coastal areas is between April and October. This is when temperatures are warmest and rainfall is least likely. In the interior regions, the best time to visit is between May and September, when temperatures are more moderate and there is less chance of rain. During these months, you can expect clear skies and temperatures ranging from 15-30°C (59-86°F).

Maximizing Your Portugal Vacation: What is the Optimal Month to Visit?

If you’re looking to take advantage of Portugal’s low season deals, then the best time to visit is between November and March. This is when accommodation prices are at their lowest and you can find great deals on flights and car rentals. If you’re looking to make the most of Portugal’s high season festivals, then the best time to visit is between April and October. During this time, you’ll be able to experience some of Portugal’s most popular cultural events, such as the Festa da Flor, in Lisbon, or the Festival Med in the Algarve.

Conclusion

The best month to travel to Portugal depends on the type of experience you’re looking for. For sightseeing, adventure, and mild temperatures, the best time to visit is between April and October. For low season deals and discounts, the best time to visit is between November and March. No matter when you visit, Portugal has something special to offer.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The two careers in the future will be prompt engineer and clean dataset producer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I ran some GPT3-generated text through a plagiarism tool one time out of curiosity. It picked up a number of phrases that only existed in YouTube transcripts.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spazzle posted:

The two careers in the future will be prompt engineer and clean dataset producer.

Getting clean dataset's seems like effort. Just let people get used to a certain amount of garbage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

The best part is that this is indistinguishable from a lot of human content on the web thanks to SEO. The machines are just helping us get more efficient as the modern internet circles the drain.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

This is incredible.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Getting clean dataset's seems like effort. Just let people get used to a certain amount of garbage.

They already let you post

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spazzle posted:

They already let you post

Yep, just doing my part in acclimatizing people. My garbage posting is the future and there's nothing any of you can do about it.

Hoorah!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Deviantart realizes that letting your art site fill up with AI generated crap might be a bad idea

https://twitter.com/Kelly_McKernan/status/1669039033958162433

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This setting will be remembered when you submit, because we know you AI using bastards will never pick up a pen and draw something for real.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
DeviantArt blocking AI images was never gonna happen. But cmon, a required label and filter is such a simple thing to implement to keep people happy.
Why it required months of bleeding their core userbase to realise this is beyond me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Facetious posted:

You gotta hand it to Lowtax; he figured out both how to prevent bots and make money at the same time: by paywalling accounts.

Agreed. And the key to SA's success with the paywall is that it's a one time fee, not a recurring payment or a subscription model. That, combined with some fairly effective moderation, is great at drastically reducing the spam and white noise that dominate so many other message boards and such. Right off the bat, most white noise shitposters just figure they won't bother busting out their credit card since they're lazy and because registering in and of itself actually takes a certain amount of effort.

The paywall and the reasonable rules and guidlines we have here work pretty well. The things that most other sites enforce are things like curse words and NSFW images but I'm still suprised at the amount of "I make $12,000 working from home..." posts that I see in the wild that still get through.

Perusing any Youtube or Yahoo comments section is enough to make me really appreciate the general level of discourse here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. And the key to SA's success with the paywall is that it's a one time fee, not a recurring payment or a subscription model. That, combined with some fairly effective moderation, is great at drastically reducing the spam and white noise that dominate so many other message boards and such. Right off the bat, most white noise shitposters just figure they won't bother busting out their credit card since they're lazy and because registering in and of itself actually takes a certain amount of effort.

The paywall and the reasonable rules and guidlines we have here work pretty well. The things that most other sites enforce are things like curse words and NSFW images but I'm still suprised at the amount of "I make $12,000 working from home..." posts that I see in the wild that still get through.

Perusing any Youtube or Yahoo comments section is enough to make me really appreciate the general level of discourse here.

Also a pay wall helped keep stupid loving children who don't know anything out of here :bahgawd: (though with visa debit, anyone can get an account these days :-/ )

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Having a shitload of piracy along with the comedy culture being in (and often leading) the internet comedy culture also played a bit of a part.

I'm not sure SA would still be here without patreon but that's also in part because of Lowtax's lovely handling of the technical stuff and RX addictions.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sundae posted:

This is incredible.

I will now read any ai generated content as the Swedish chef. :discourse:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Mega Comrade posted:

DeviantArt blocking AI images was never gonna happen. But cmon, a required label and filter is such a simple thing to implement to keep people happy.
Why it required months of bleeding their core userbase to realise this is beyond me.

AI content is platform death in general, no one serious wants it in their products, and no one wants to advertise near it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

StratGoatCom posted:

AI content is platform death in general, no one serious wants it in their products, and no one wants to advertise near it.

But deviantart wanted both AI content and their own AI image generator :allears:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

StratGoatCom posted:

https://venturebeat.com/ai/the-ai-feedback-loop-researchers-warn-of-model-collapse-as-ai-trains-on-ai-generated-content/

Known about this for a while, the fact that this poo poo is garbage keeps on filtering into the mainstream suggests a top for this bubble may not be far off.

This kind of stuff always reminds me of Hat3000 from a few years ago, where a person tried to train a processor to create crocheted hat patterns, and the biggest issue is that it would duplicate its own errors. A single error in a normal crochet pattern is not usually a problem, but when that error is being multiplied on every row you wind up with a pattern that would create a supermassive black hole by the sheer volume of yarn required:

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1169334189641977856

Looking forward to the singularity!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We will need to give that AI control over the yarn production industry first.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mega Comrade posted:

They only now realized you can't train new models on an universal crawl if the majority of new images posted anywhere are generated, and thus poison the dataset. The trending on Artstation protest from a while ago is preferable to this situation. If you want to keep training and getting funding, you need to still have a) a community of artists unwillingly working for you with no compensation, that b) labels their work as human-made (additional labor that you framed as standing up to the bots)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spazzle posted:

clean dataset producer.

So actual artists, then.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So actual artists, then.

Nah, who want's to deal with those. Easier to find rights holders for image databases that are willing to sell access cheap.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Have these models incorporated all the books that Google has scanned over the years? If we have to live in this lovely dystopia I at least want it to be able to mimic Dashiell Hammett decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Have these models incorporated all the books that Google has scanned over the years? If we have to live in this lovely dystopia I at least want it to be able to mimic Dashiell Hammett decently.

Idk you tell me. I have no idea who Dashiell Hammett is but this is what google bard spat out:

Prompt posted:

Write a short story about a dog that farts in the style of Dashiell Hammett.

Google Bard posted:

Sure, here is a short story about a dog that farts in the style of Dashiell Hammett:

It was a dark and stormy night. The rain beat down on the city, and the wind howled like a banshee. In a small apartment on the third floor, a man named Sam sat at his desk, trying to write a story. But he couldn't concentrate. His dog, a small terrier named Mutt, was farting up a storm.

"Mutt!" Sam shouted. "Will you please stop that?"

Mutt just wagged his tail and farted again.

Sam sighed. He knew that Mutt couldn't help it. He had a condition called flatulence. But that didn't make it any less annoying.

Sam tried to go back to his story, but he couldn't focus. The smell of Mutt's farts was too overpowering. He got up and opened the window, hoping that the fresh air would clear the air. But it didn't help. The smell of Mutt's farts was just too strong.

Sam gave up. He couldn't write with Mutt farting all over the place. He went to bed, hoping that Mutt would be quiet for once. But Mutt wasn't quiet. He farted all night long.

The next morning, Sam woke up with a headache. He couldn't believe that he had gotten so little sleep. He went to the kitchen to get some coffee, and Mutt followed him.

"Mutt," Sam said. "I'm going to have to take you to the vet."

Mutt just wagged his tail. He knew that he was in trouble.

Sam took Mutt to the vet, and the vet diagnosed him with flatulence. The vet gave Sam some medication to help with Mutt's condition, but Sam knew that it wouldn't be a cure.

Sam took Mutt home, and Mutt immediately started farting again. Sam sighed. He knew that he was going to have to live with Mutt's farts for the rest of his life.

But Sam didn't mind. He loved Mutt, even though he farted a lot. And Mutt loved Sam, even though Sam took him to the vet.

And so, Sam and Mutt lived happily ever after, with Mutt farting up a storm.