Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Did they print any Uruk-hai related cards? Or are they just Orc/Orcer/Orcest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

amass oozes

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

amass crabs

Edit:

Crab Rave 2U
Enchantment

Whenever you draw a card, amass Crabs 1, then if your Crab Army has power and toughness 7/7 or more, sacrifice it and Crab Rave and create Crabulon the Crustacular, a legendary 12/12 Crab Noble creature token with Islandwalk and Ward: (4)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 15, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

AlternateNu posted:

There's a few like Ugl'uk and Mauhur, but mechanically they're just orcs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AlternateNu posted:

They didn't print Orcest, only Glamdring

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Came up in my Facebook memories today, 9 years ago, I won the draft (or sealed? don't remember) with it too.

Sold it for 200 tickets according to my comment, good decision lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

amass crabs

Edit:

Crab Rave 2U
Enchantment

Whenever you draw a card, amass Crabs 1, then if your Crab Army has power and toughness 7/7 or more, sacrifice it and Crab Rave and create Crabulon the Crustacular, a legendary 12/12 Crab Noble creature token with Islandwalk and Ward: (4)

Nowadays that'd have a "when you do" nested trigger for the big payoff so you can't just blink or phase Crab Rave out and keep it.

Weird it's mandatory when Crabulon lacks haste, so you go from swinging with a 6/6 to sitting on your hands.

Specifying Crab Army is redundant as amass Crabs would make the army a crab already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Moria Marauder might not end up being a huge wave maker, but the card is certified fun in any playtesting I have done. The clause that extends its benefit to other goblins gets some decent value right away. Maybe not specifying combat damage might have broke it a bit, but so far its fun in rakdos goblins in modern.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 15, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So wait, if a changling is on the field does it make all the amass cards auto-target it

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sickening posted:

Moria Marauder might not end up being a huge wave maker, but the card is certified fun in any playtesting I have done. The clause that extends its benefit to other goblins gets some decent value right away. Maybe not specifying combat damage might have broke it a bit, but so far its fun in rakdos goblins in pioneer.

did you mean in modern, or will you be learning the sad realization that the lord of the rings cards arent pioneer legal (or did I miss something)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

So wait, if a changling is on the field does it make all the amass cards auto-target it

I could've sworn it only worked with creature tokens, but looked it up and there's no language about tokens, so I would assume yes, amassing with a changeling on the board will put the counters on that creature. They're already a zombie or an orc, so creature type doesn't need to change, I think?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the ones the changeling's controller controls, yes

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

did you mean in modern, or will you be learning the sad realization that the lord of the rings cards arent pioneer legal (or did I miss something)

Yep, modern. It generates a surprising amount value. It doesn't feel like something that is going to see x3/4 copies in a deck, but a 1/2 of that pushes card advantage.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nowadays that'd have a "when you do" nested trigger for the big payoff so you can't just blink or phase Crab Rave out and keep it.

Weird it's mandatory when Crabulon lacks haste, so you go from swinging with a 6/6 to sitting on your hands.

Specifying Crab Army is redundant as amass Crabs would make the army a crab already.

I just wanted to make a king crab joke

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

I just wanted to make a king crab joke

You have Charix, the Raging Isle. It is always time for crab.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sickening posted:

Yep, modern. It generates a surprising amount value. It doesn't feel like something that is going to see x3/4 copies in a deck, but a 1/2 of that pushes card advantage.

I buy it, though it feels like a card I'd be unhappy to play against fury decks, which also feels like the place where id value the card advantage...? I guess you just have to overload a card like fury in a tribal deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

I buy it, though it feels like a card I'd be unhappy to play against fury decks, which also feels like the place where id value the card advantage...? I guess you just have to overload a card like fury in a tribal deck.

The deck still has issues with fury and this card doesn't change that, but yeah, you want to make the value engine good enough to make it matter less.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

the ones the changeling's controller controls, yes

Yeah no duh dipshit, i know the effect is by controller

Judgy Fucker posted:

I could've sworn it only worked with creature tokens, but looked it up and there's no language about tokens, so I would assume yes, amassing with a changeling on the board will put the counters on that creature. They're already a zombie or an orc, so creature type doesn't need to change, I think?

Thanks for answering in a non-condescending way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah no duh dipshit, i know the effect is by controller

Thanks for answering in a non-condescending way

i wasn't trying to be condescending, this stuff can be confusing and weird for magic so i wanted to be specific in case you weren't sure. the changeling thing is included in the release notes for the update to amass for this lotr set, fyi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
been a while since I've seen one of these pop up, and I love this one. not only does he twist himself into pretzels trying to comprehend or second guess the usefulness of the cards he is shown, but you also get to watch voxy desperately try to contain herself to not give away the game as he self-sabotages :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIc17PFqdYg&hd=1

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voxy is easily the most fun mtg personality imo, I do not understand how that much joy can come from a single person.

The hearthstone guy who does all of these videos is pretty fun too

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Voxy going Oops All Bombs is a twist I didn't see coming

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's great because there's only a scant few duds but because of that it completely bamboozles him into overthinking when they will actually appear

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You have Charix, the Raging Isle. It is always time for crab.

I just got a foil version of this :crabdrugs:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

i wasn't trying to be condescending, this stuff can be confusing and weird for magic so i wanted to be specific in case you weren't sure. the changeling thing is included in the release notes for the update to amass for this lotr set, fyi.

Yeah its cool i was just being ornery

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

been a while since I've seen one of these pop up, and I love this one. not only does he twist himself into pretzels trying to comprehend or second guess the usefulness of the cards he is shown, but you also get to watch voxy desperately try to contain herself to not give away the game as he self-sabotages :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIc17PFqdYg&hd=1

There's another one with Voxy trying to rate Hearthstone cards, that came first, so she's really enjoying being the one that knows the answer this time. They also did a couple videos where they draft decks for each other. Hearthstone's version of limited is just "pick 1 of 3 cards, 30 times" so when it came time for Rarran to pick cards for Voxy's MoM quick draft it was just a little bit overwhelming. His reaction to seeing a battle was pretty great, and you'll never guess what card he thought was mega-broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-Mgqt3574

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i'll never guess!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

i'll never guess!

You'll find out if you wait until the end!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pack 3 pick 2 will shock you

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's like infinite value!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I watched this live on her stream, I forgot Yargle showed up in this draft too. Voxy HATES Yargle, because chat loves it so much. You can see her feel actual pain when he first sees it. People were giving her Yargles to destroy in Minneapolis.

Kinda impressed that he managed to draft an actual archetype, she wasn't giving away too many hints (because she was laughing too hard).

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i'm yargle

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Anyone have suggestions for YouTube gameplay content from skilled players? I’ve been watching BoshnRoll and ThrabenU for mostly Legacy stuff but haven’t found any reliably good channels for Standard or Vintage. It doesn’t help that I cannot loving stand that gormless YouTube voice/face thing 90% of content creators seem to do now. :corsair:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Loucks posted:

Anyone have suggestions for YouTube gameplay content from skilled players? I’ve been watching BoshnRoll and ThrabenU for mostly Legacy stuff but haven’t found any reliably good channels for Standard or Vintage. It doesn’t help that I cannot loving stand that gormless YouTube voice/face thing 90% of content creators seem to do now. :corsair:

To be honest, youtube is full of content from people who aren't on the radar. I find the best content to be players who have a pet deck and seeking them out. Channels for pros playing variety is easy enough to find if that is what you desire though.

@AndreaMengucci Does good content , has good energy, and sticks to a schedule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uggy posted:

i'm yargle
she's not gonna destroy you

Loucks posted:

you could give Jim Davis a try. I will not defend his thumbnail game but his content is good and there's a ton of it. he's just as much for silly bullshit builds as he is for top meta stuff, and does a wide variety of types of videos, from his Bronze To Mythic series where he drafts every new set from bronze to mythic, to his daily videos showing off standard and historic brews, top meta decks, or gimmick builds, and has some weekly things like Mogg Monday where he plays goblins every monday, and Freshly Brewed where he builds a deck and then just immediately plays it to see if it works or not. he's made some really impressive builds I've used before, and also some real stinkers. I like his soundboard usage too, and he puts out at least one video on youtube every day(cut out of twitch streams, with downtime between matches edited out)

I tend to watch his stuff at 1.25 speed, he speaks just slightly slow to me so it flows better imo when sped up a tiny bit.

some recent solid videos of his I liked:

every new set he does something called Ten New Brews, where he builds ten decks and tries them out as soon as a set releases. This one is really neat, Standard Vampires with the new Aftermath Markov Baron madness card, and knight errant of eos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFpsk51KGBc&hd=1

a Freshly Brewed where he made a "lotus cobra and nissa" landfall deck, has some real promise because when it pops off it really goes off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4COEHB_b4&hd=1

after every Bronze To Mythic run, he does one more draft using Draftsmith and just lets the algorithm build a deck and then he works with what he gets. It's been pretty decent all things considered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOQHtkiKi8&hd=1

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Loucks posted:

Andrew Cuneo might be exactly what you're looking for. Cuneo is a long time successful magic pro, very analytical with a dry sense of humor and low affect who puts out Standard videos pretty frequently especially at the start of a format. He trends toward control a bit but will play a variety of decks.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Other people have covered Standard videos, but as for Vintage, check out IamActuallyLvL1

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Won all three of my matches in prerelease, going 2-1, 2-0, 2-0. Played a B/W/G tokens deck. Quickbeam and Anduril were both bombs in my games, and I had Wormtongue to shut down opposing Food decks. A lot of my games were close and they were all fun. Limited seems like it could be a good time.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Horn of Gondor is absolutely DISGUSTING. I had one and won almost every game I played it. The only game I lost with a horn in play, my opponent had one too, and they had Boromir, so whenever I attacked, they could just block all my tokens and theirs would survive. I never drew removal for Boromir, and then they wiped 64 of my tokens with Black Breath and swung for lethal.

You play it on turn 3, and it takes an absurd amount of pressure and removal for your opponent to just not lose 3 turns later. Also, I almost never activated it with any other humans in play. The thing can go off just by itself. Kinda sucks paying 3 for 1, and then 2 tokens, but then you're making 4, 8,16 and then 32. Also if your opponent is pressuring you, you can still block with them and they only buy themselves a turn or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Went 0-2, 2-1, 2-0, came in third place overall.

First game of the first round, I managed to get Palantir of Orthanc into play in the late game. Opponent was at 16, I was at around 7 or 8. First Palantir trigger, my opponent let me draw a card. Next turn, he decided to mill me for two, and wound up taking 8 to the dome from it. At which point he realized he'd made a big mistake and it was better to just let me have the card. Still lost the game, but it was worth it just for seeing the look on his face when he saw his life total get cut in half out of nowhere. Don't gently caress with the Ponder Orb. :getin:

A Moose posted:

Horn of Gondor is absolutely DISGUSTING. I had one and won almost every game I played it. The only game I lost with a horn in play, my opponent had one too, and they had Boromir, so whenever I attacked, they could just block all my tokens and theirs would survive. I never drew removal for Boromir, and then they wiped 64 of my tokens with Black Breath and swung for lethal.

You play it on turn 3, and it takes an absurd amount of pressure and removal for your opponent to just not lose 3 turns later. Also, I almost never activated it with any other humans in play. The thing can go off just by itself. Kinda sucks paying 3 for 1, and then 2 tokens, but then you're making 4, 8,16 and then 32. Also if your opponent is pressuring you, you can still block with them and they only buy themselves a turn or 2.

Yeah, Horn did some fantastic work for me, especially in my first game of the third round when I had it out and then got Rosie Cotton of South Lane on to the field. Game ended two turns later when I swung in with a bunch of tokens, and pumped one of the ones that got past blockers by +9/+9. :stare: