Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Stupid question, if I have time left on Apple care plus for an iPhone and I trade the phone in for a newer iPhone will the Apple care plus transfer to the new phone or how will that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope it's tied to the phone. If you trade in early, you lose it

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you got the extra years instead of the monthly plan you can cancel it. Apple will refund you a portion of what you paid. I've done it for computers I've sold.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Thanks. I have to decide if I want usb-c bad enough to mess with it I suppose.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All of a sudden iOS thinks my 14 pro has an unknown camera part and I can’t take .5x photos, great. I imagine only an Apple Store trip will fix this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not sure if this is a Siri being garbage problem or an old phone (XR) problem, but does Siri ever acknowledge your commands but doesn’t do anything about them?

Hey Siri, call Goon

“Calling Goon…” (doesn’t call goon)

Hey Siri, take me home.

“Getting directions for home” (doesn’t open Maps and create a route)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sometimes Siri decides my work is my home. Sometimes Siri also thinks I work someplace other than exactly where I set my workplace as. Basically it’s just Siri being garbage.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That second one happens to me constantly?! My phone *knows* where home/work is, because if I type it in maps, it’s exactly where it should be. Siri on the other hand will proudly proclaim that it’s getting directions to home, then take me a few neighborhoods away.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have a real dumb question: I have all my photos backing up to icloud but I need to free some phone storage. If I delete them off my phone, does that also delete them off of my iCloud?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have a real dumb question: I have all my photos backing up to icloud but I need to free some phone storage. If I delete them off my phone, does that also delete them off of my iCloud?

It will delete them off iCloud, yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

If you have Amazon prime back them up to that for free or use google photo to back them up.

Amazon keeps the full resolution where as google will downsize them

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes. The iCloud Photo Library is one single entity.

You know about the “optimize storage” option on your phone, right?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It seems absolutely wild that you can't delete from your phone without it also deleting in iCloud.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can turn on "Optimize iPhone Storage" in Settings > Photos. It will delete the full size versions as space is needed while still keeping the full size versions in iCloud. This might help as it reduces the Photos library size on the phone by like 90%.

e: didn't see the post 2 above, whoops

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 14, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

It seems absolutely wild that you can't delete from your phone without it also deleting in iCloud.

It would be an absolute nightmare for the average user if it didn’t.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

It would be an absolute nightmare for the average user if it didn’t.

Default delete: delete from both

Long press photo (or select multiple and select option):
Delete iCloud and device?
Delete device photo and keep in iCloud?

An absolute nightmare indeed.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Not really needed when you can just turn on “Optimize Photos” in the settings and let your iPhone deal with all that syncing crap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And then after you delete it locally how do you manage the iCloud-only photos? Some other photo app/site? A mess, like OneDrive “online only” stuff but worse.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

And then after you delete it locally how do you manage the iCloud-only photos? Some other photo app/site? A mess, like OneDrive “online only” stuff but worse.

In google photos when you delete something locally they still show up in your local library but they just have the thumbnail downloaded basically. It doesn’t meaningfully work differently than the automatic cleanup thing on iOS photos. It’s not nearly as confusing as everyone is somehow making it out to be.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah optimize photos rules, I don’t even think about it and I can pull out stuff from years ago with no issue. I have 15,000 photos and local storage used is 3gb.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ssb posted:

In google photos when you delete something locally they still show up in your local library but they just have the thumbnail downloaded basically. It doesn’t meaningfully work differently than the automatic cleanup thing on iOS photos. It’s not nearly as confusing as everyone is somehow making it out to be.

Yeah, this. Just leads the local copy but keeps thumbnail, just like how iCloud works for photos not on your device now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah optimize photos rules, I don’t even think about it and I can pull out stuff from years ago with no issue. I have 15,000 photos and local storage used is 3gb.

Doesn't help when you are near capacity and need to clear stuff to make room for something. Just all sitting there and can't instruct optimize to start to clear for you.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My iPhone's iOS 17 beta is holding onto 115 GB of System Data. That's pretty annoying.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The "Transit" view on Apple Maps is nice for highlighting train routes, but sadly my country has gently caress all trains. Is there any way I can get it to highlight bus routes on the map instead?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
My Pixel 4 XL recently shat the bed and I decided to try out an iPhone after over a decade of being Android only. Since the Pixel had died completely, to port over my text messages (which Google had backed up) I had to set up an older Android I had to recover those messages and then used Move to iOS port the messages over to my iPhone 14 Pro.

Everything came over BUT now some of the conversations, like the thread of messages from my wife (iPhone)are a group text conversation with myself in them and when she messaged me it came in as a new iMessage conversation but a conversation from my sister (iPhone) is perfectly normal and her messages came through in thread with the old text thread as an iMessage.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

The "Transit" view on Apple Maps is nice for highlighting train routes, but sadly my country has gently caress all trains. Is there any way I can get it to highlight bus routes on the map instead?

Use Moovit instead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Mine does by default. Might depend what APIs are available from the various transit authorities and such.

The thin lines following roads are buses, and the thicker ones are Metros and trains.

(I actually use Transit App for my transit needs tho.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sadly neither Moovit nor Transit work *at all*. Straight up finds zero way to get between locations.

Apple and Google Maps can at least use the bus routes when searching for directions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I thought these Tweets comparing Google Maps transit to Apple Maps interesting:

https://twitter.com/andrew17876/status/1667720202518159361

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It just goes to show how much first impressions matter. I don't think Apple Maps can ever recover from their launch.

But if they added Waze like features I might switch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I get really annoyed when my partner uses google maps without CarPlay on a small screen instead of Apple Maps on CarPlay. I say it's a safety issue, and it probably is. But come on, just get over the minor differences and the inconvenience of a large screen and use Apple Maps, which gives you human-sounding directions based on landmarks and not pointlessly precise measures.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

mawarannahr posted:

I get really annoyed when my partner uses google maps without CarPlay on a small screen instead of Apple Maps on CarPlay. I say it's a safety issue, and it probably is. But come on, just get over the minor differences and the inconvenience of a large screen and use Apple Maps, which gives you human-sounding directions based on landmarks and not pointlessly precise measures.

Google Maps supports Carplay???

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Zero One posted:

It just goes to show how much first impressions matter. I don't think Apple Maps can ever recover from their launch.

But if they added Waze like features I might switch.

I don’t know how exactly Apple is supposed to compete with Google’s 15 year head start of maps data out of the gate. At the very least, having an alternative backed by a giant company with way too much money to play with is better than a de facto monopoly in the maps space.

Apple Maps has had speed trap detection a while now. That, and it’s better audio navigation (“at the next light, turn left”, vs “in 300 feet, turn left” with Google Maps), makes me prefer it when I’m going to/from a familiar place like work or home.

For unfamiliar locations and getting to new businesses, I’ll often still use Google Maps, where I have a decade of saved locations I reference when I travel. I’d consider converting those over to Apple Maps, if I could.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 16, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live in a good area for Apple Maps so I’ve always used it, can’t stand Google whenever I’ve had to change over in a pinch. I did get to experience Apple Maps in a ‘well get around to you one day’ environment recently, and it was kinda funny how it knew where some places were but didn’t even take a stab at running directions between them despite most of the island just being one long road.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I swore off apple maps when I gave Siri a specific street address for my friends house and it repeatedly kept giving me the nearby cinema as the result despite none of the street names, numbers or words matching at all.

I do not see why I'd ever bother again when google maps works as well as it does, even when using siri for voice commands on carplay.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Three Olives posted:

Google Maps supports Carplay???

She hasn't set it up but CarPlay does work for some things, just not google. i think it's cause she keeps pressing DENY on every permission request from every app ever, without reading the prompts, including the default ones. Which owns in its own way. But then she's craning her head at a small screen and getting bad directions from google, which doesn't seem to work as well here anymore

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

idk if its my phone, or google maps, or my car, but sometimes in my miata google maps is just blank. Cannot do anything with it at all, but Apple Maps will work fine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

phosdex posted:

idk if its my phone, or google maps, or my car, but sometimes in my miata google maps is just blank. Cannot do anything with it at all, but Apple Maps will work fine.

mine has been doing this too. also not auto playing spotify when it connects.

CarPlay is somehow getting progressively worse without any discernable software updates to explain it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I live in the blue ridge mountains and there are many dead zones here. Until Apple Maps allows maps to be downloaded, it’s not getting used.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Laserface posted:

I do not see why I'd ever bother again when google maps works as well as it does, even when using siri for voice commands on carplay.

Google has a history of handing over users personal data to police without a warrant, which is something that shouldn’t be encouraged whenever possible, especially when it’s some of my most personal data out there.

Also, I realized why I hate most non-iOS designed apps, and Android in general - bottom navigation behavior and remembering your last prior interaction. One of my biggest pet peeves with apps like Instagram and Twitter is when they reload a screen and throw me back to the top.

Bottom navigation Behavior

material.io posted:

Bottom navigation behaves differently on Android and iOS. When you select a bottom navigation item (one that’s not currently selected), each platform displays different outcomes:

On Android: the app navigates to a destination’s top-level screen. Any prior user interactions and temporary screen states are reset, such as scroll position, tab selection, and in-line search.

On iOS: the destination reflects the user’s prior interaction. If the user previously visited that section of the app, they return to the last screen viewed (with its prior state preserved, if possible). Otherwise, the app navigates to the top-level screen.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Corb3t posted:

Apple Maps has had speed trap detection a while now. That, and it’s better audio navigation (“at the next light, turn left”, vs “in 300 feet, turn left” with Google Maps), makes me prefer it when I’m going to/from a familiar place like work or home.

They're both too verbose. Apple does poo poo like "in a quarter mile take the exit for buttroad / route 69 towards bootyville" and then as you get to the exit it repeats the exact same thing.

Google maps does dumb stuff too but I've had it on mute so long I forgot what it was that annoyed me.

The on screen info for Apple Maps is vastly better though. It's better about showing speed limits, what lane to use, and stop lights. Google unfortunately has a much better destination library and is way more likely to know about obscure tailheads or points of interest.