Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shot a benefit for Urkainian refugees in a tiny pub at the weekend. Some local musicians, some visiting Ukrainian performers. I brought the Kiev 60 loaded with Ilford 3200 as it seemed appropriate for the occasion.

The stage was cramped so none of the performers were moving around at all and the lighting was some cheap coloured LEDs plus the pub's ambient lighting.

Ukraine Benefit01-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Ukraine Benefit30-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3479-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital:

IMG_3424.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3436.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I've never heard of that camera or equipment, but that is pretty awesome. Also couldn't help but check out your flickr... and it made me really miss living in Asia.

Bottom Liner posted:

Funny you say that, cause the next night was in a dive bar with a tiny and dark stage. They still had some lights but I threw up a strobe in front of house and had to pick angles carefully.

This one is sensationel. You an in house photographer?

Viginti Septem posted:

Speaking of great lighting 😮

I've been wondering, your avatar... Is it the black queen related? It's a common symbol, but seeing as this is in a band/concerts thread... I had to ask.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Woodenlung posted:

Thanks. Im not, just shot those two shows for the groups company based in Korea. They have another artist coming next month I'll be shooting at the first venue as well.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Woodenlung posted:

I've never heard of that camera or equipment, but that is pretty awesome. Also couldn't help but check out your flickr... and it made me really miss living in Asia.

I've been wondering, your avatar... Is it the black queen related? It's a common symbol, but seeing as this is in a band/concerts thread... I had to ask.

I appreciate the ask, it is not related. Just a mobius triangle that has a place in my life. But you did send me to their page, and listened to their music and I believe learned a bit. :tipshat:

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Wayward Down

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks. Im not, just shot those two shows for the groups company based in Korea. They have another artist coming next month I'll be shooting at the first venue as well.

Got you. I always feel a bit weird pulling out my camera, if there's an actual in house photographer there. Especially one of the venues I go to the guy is kind of... unfriendly haha. Maybe cause I just asked the bands I have common friends with, for pit access a few times. Considering going for Che Lingo on Sunday, not a huge fan of the music, but talked to him after I saw him at a festival and he was super nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

more Kpop shows

and a bonus shot with the group to show how tiny they are

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Shot a mini festival of some smaller acts - two bands actually paid me for set photos after the front - first customers! Sweet!

This is Scaithe, first show ever:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Slotducks posted:

Shot a mini festival of some smaller acts - two bands actually paid me for set photos after the front - first customers! Sweet!

This is Scaithe, first show ever:

I really like this

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Viginti Septem posted:

I really like this

Thanks! I was making GBS threads bricks with him wearing the hoodie, fearing that he'd be out of the lights mostly. But he was like, almost basking in it?
Turned out to be some of my favourite shots from the night.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Double post but I just edited my favourite music photo ever:

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
That looks good man. How much editing did you do? I'm pretty bad at doing anything but basic colour correction and cropping. And even cropping, I am always too cautious to use.

Awesome photos again. But this is the best, obviously

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Someone didn't miss leg day

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Woodenlung posted:

That looks good man. How much editing did you do? I'm pretty bad at doing anything but basic colour correction and cropping. And even cropping, I am always too cautious to use.

Generally I try to minimize the use of masking and whatnot on my end but for these bespoke shots, I kind of go hard with the masking and stuff - blacking out the ugly background of this dingy nightclub/bar gets me pretty far:

It could probably be lightened up a little bit but I wanted the moodiness to pop through - can't see poo poo when looking at it outside on the phone though so I think it didn't do great on socials.

Adding to the content list:

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Yeah for sure, looks really cool in the edited form.

I was planning on bringing my camera to Roskilde next week, but drat, weather is looking rough/oceangatesque. Hope the forecast clears up-

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The record label for my drum teacher's band asked me to shoot their headline gig.

The baby Seals

IMG_3757.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3768.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3749.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Supprted by Peter Cat

IMG_3590-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And Jeremy Tuplin

IMG_3657.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Haven't done band stuff in a long time. There was a local art fair this weekend and I was out with the Helios lens to do some artistic bokeh stuff but stumbled upon this young band that was playing and their manager/mom asked me to do some photos for her and said she'd hire me to do continuing work going forward. So that's potentially promising.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some snapshots of a great night while I wait on my film scans

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Some real good stuff in this thread - lovely to see it start to come back alive.

I hit up a show in a hidden skatepark (straight out of THPS2 lmao) this past Saturday. What a loving blast

Hollow Core:

Judgement:

Conversation:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Film dump from the best show

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
a few from roskilde.

chat pile, ustad noor bakhsh, code orange, taco bitch, soul glo

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Shot some shows I went to for fun recently

Frost Children

Haviah Mighty

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Yes to this

NOFX

Xiu Xiu

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Huge kpop star shared my photo to their tens of millions of followers 😳

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner posted:

Huge kpop star shared my photo to their tens of millions of followers 😳

Heck yea

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Excuse the terrible compression, not sure why discord is doing that all of a sudden. Will have to try Flickr again.

Last night of this tour and we got a downpour right as encore started. Made for some great shots with the backlight from stage lights.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 24, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I got to see my friends band Urine Hell, which was a much rowdier experience than i was prepared for
DSC08791
DSC09099
DSC09097
DSC09096
DSC09116
DSC08872
DSC08874
DSC08838
DSC08897
DSC08901
DSC09052
DSC08925

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
finally shot a show after an... idk, 8-year break from concert photography between bay area venues leaning more towards the "we're overly self-important and viciously enforce rules against 'professional' cameras" side of things, lifestyle changes, pandemics, and so on

i forgot how hard this poo poo was. venue lighting actively hates sensors and lenses, and i aint as practiced at navigating moshing crowds as i used to be

undecided as to whether my current all manual focus kit is harder to wrangle decent shots out of than it was trying to trick my old 60D's AF system into not loving up

that said, producing a bunch of work you're ultimately disappointed in is arguably appropriate for an AJJ show

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Eyes @Roskilde 23

Bottom Liner posted:

Excuse the terrible compression, not sure why discord is doing that all of a sudden. Will have to try Flickr again.

Last night of this tour and we got a downpour right as encore started. Made for some great shots with the backlight from stage lights.

Absolutely love the look of these. Last one is especially beautiful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Final batch of photos and re-edits of film/digital to match for a recap gallery. Got venue approval for some big upcoming shows but now I wait for AXS to approve it (doubtful!)

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Do people use IG to share their stuff on? I love following photography stuff on there, so yeah drop it if you want another follower. Mine is themulletburden

Friend had his first show today, actually getting paid, at the opening of an outdoors art exhibition. The crowd average age must have been +50, and they play some noisy rear end rock music.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I got a website at www.myscenesucks.com

And my insta is My Scene Sucks. Mostly small stages and punk, hardcore and extreme stuff

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting more Kpop, this time for (G)-Idle's world tour. Absolute blast and one of my favorite groups.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Loving the span of genres in this thread.
Here's some Swedish powerviolence; Prescription Death

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I've taken a month and a half off as it slows down greatly here in Guelph during Riverfest & Hillside times. Maybe next year I'll photograph those festivals but in the interim here are some shots from the middle of July:

The Acacia Strain

Fit For an Autopsy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Babymetal and DETHKLOK loving ripped!

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I hope y'all dont mind this post, but I can't sleep. Tomorrow I get to hold my new book of concert photos for the first time. It's pretty loving exciting!

Underground stuff. Mostly punk and hardcore, with a smattering of metal and rock. Bands from all over the world.

The publisher is a small local one. They're cool, and really hands off. They've given me full creative control, which is scary, cause I know fuckall about putting out a book. I convinced them to limit the first pressing to 138 hand numbered copies. And to have two release parties, with bands and beer, in two different cities.

I originally got in contact with them to see if they could help me print a zine for cheap. They decided to make a book of it instead. Did not see this coming at all.

The process of going through my archives and trying to pick what to include has been pretty tough, and I started to regret my selection immediately after sending it all to the printer. But who knows? If it sells I might get to make another.

So in five hours I'm driving out to their warehouse to check it out for the first time.

Anyways. Here's Statens Menn:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
double post

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 7, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
That's fantastic! Enjoy your new book adventure. How much are you selling it for?

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
What a loving day. Book's huge! Way bigger than the test print. With super nice paper.
The publisher says they'll have to charge somewhere between forty and fifty bucks for it.

It's real!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Only registered members can see post attachments!