Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Star Man posted:

That's bookmarking a thread. I want to bookmark a post.

make a thread in Post My Favorite and quote them there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Whenever I post in a thread on my phone, it adds it to my bookmarks. I get the idea I guess, but is there an option to shut this off? I didn't see it when I looked, but maybe I missed it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty sure that's a forum options thing and not the app

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

yup

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Bahaha, thanks. Shows how much I use the forums on an actual PC I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Bahaha, thanks. Shows how much I use the forums on an actual PC I guess.

Every time I do, I'm shocked at how different it is and how it's missing some of the neat options this app gives you.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Every time I do, I'm shocked at how different it is and how it's missing some of the neat options this app gives you.

Rip Firefox plugin

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nobody should want to know java

I mean, I have avoided learning it for 15 years lmao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Twitter embeds broke for me a while ago. They had been enabled and then just stopped one day. I've tried disabling them in the options and re-enabling them but no dice. This is on my Fairphone and also on my Samsung tablet. I don't see anyone else talking about this but it's weird that it hasn't resolved itself and they never stopped working on my PC. I know Twitter is the source of the problem, not the app, but is there anything else I can try?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

greazeball posted:

Twitter embeds broke for me a while ago. They had been enabled and then just stopped one day. I've tried disabling them in the options and re-enabling them but no dice. This is on my Fairphone and also on my Samsung tablet. I don't see anyone else talking about this but it's weird that it hasn't resolved itself and they never stopped working on my PC. I know Twitter is the source of the problem, not the app, but is there anything else I can try?

Not really, no. Blame Elon :elongate:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Might not be an app problem but - when I full screen a video in the youtube app, it automatically rotates so the video is as big as possible. If I full screen an embedded youtube video in awful, it stays at its original orientation. Is there a way to fix that?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So I guess I'm the only one with the Android app that's getting loading failed messages 100% of the time today? Typing this from a PC.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So I guess I'm the only one with the Android app that's getting loading failed messages 100% of the time today? Typing this from a PC.

I just checked, and it's loading fine on my phone and my tablet.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Works fine for me

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Wendigee posted:

Works fine for me

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hmm weird, uninstalled/reinstalled and it's fixed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reposting a thing because I was dumb and didn't realize the app tech support threads were their own separate spaces from general forum tech support:

Sorry if this is a known thing but, I just realized I was unable to see avatars in the app because I had "load images" disabled; I was thinking that only applied to images within posts.

It's fine for the settings to work that way but it might be nice to have the "show avatars" setting be clearly attached to that first setting and greyed out when it's disabled.

edit: also I dunno, I may be imagining this but it seems like the app is working drastically better now that I've enabled "load images." I was frequently having pages just refuse to load regardless of my internet connection but now that doesn't seem to be happening at all.

Mostly I'm reposting this to see if anyone finds the same improvement from fixing those settings. Now it's been a while and I am having zero "failed to load" issues when they were frequent before.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Went back to mid April ITT, but didn't find an answer.

Did something change with regards to [bb] insert image/insert video? I swear we used to be able to post directly from our phone's image folders. I'm on Android and an iPhone user mentioned it's changed for them, too.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Works for me?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't tried it, but "insert imgur" still gives me the option to upload an image, too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Insert imgur is not the insert image function though. I've never used that myself, but when I look at it now, it only offers the option of giving an image url. It would make sense for it to allow you to pick an image from your device, but I can't tell if it ever existed.

I'm on 3.8.20, supposedly the latest version on the app store, released April 7. It's weird for the complaints to cluster in the last couple of days with the app not having updated recently (unless the beta version did?).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When I click "insert imgur", this is what I get, this screenshot upload to imgur via this method.

Edit, I'm on version 3.8.20

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 22, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not sure what the insert image/video functions would even do with a local file though, haven't they always existed just to slap bbcode tags on urls? I thought uploading to imgur or adding an attachment were the only ways to do anything with local files.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, sorry, I misread what the issue was. I never use "insert image"; if I got the image URL, I just dealt with the code myself. I don't recall it ever having the option to upload an image.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ok, the iOS app has removed imgur upload ability altogether on the 20th. That explains their issues. Hadlock has proposed to do the same thing for the android apk on the previous page of this thread, but as far as I can gather, no one has actually done it. I don't necessarily agree that it should either, but that's an opinion without weight. In any case, I don't see how what's happening on iOS and what's happening on Android can be related, as one is about uploading to imgur and the other supposedly about uploading to the somethingawful servers.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not sure what the insert image/video functions would even do with a local file though, haven't they always existed just to slap bbcode tags on urls? I thought uploading to imgur or adding an attachment were the only ways to do anything with local files.
Is not insert image the way to attach an image? How would you do that otherwise?

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 22, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is not insert image the way to attach an image? How would you do that otherwise?

There's "add file attachment" in the 3 dot menu, but otherwise the only way to add an image in the Android app has always been insert imgur or already having an uploaded url to img tag.

I vote keep the insert imgur button in the app until an alternative is available

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

There's "add file attachment" in the 3 dot menu, but otherwise the only way to add an image in the Android app has always been insert imgur or already having an uploaded url to img tag.

I vote keep the insert imgur button in the app until an alternative is available
Oh, well, what an odd place for that to be. In that case it doesn't seem likely the insert image functionality has changed at all, since all it's ever been is "add img tags around this".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the file attachment option is over in the other menu, which means I usually forget it exists, but the SA attachment system is also currently terrible, so :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was going to suggest replacing Imgur with PostImages.org, but it appears there's no public API for that site. :(

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
is there a reason why I can't seem to create a new thread using the Awful Android app? I can post in existing threads fine but no ability to make new threads.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ex post facho posted:

is there a reason why I can't seem to create a new thread using the Awful Android app? I can post in existing threads fine but no ability to make new threads.

It's not a feature of the app

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absence of a feature can be a feature!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's not a feature of the app

:rip: thanks!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ex post facho posted:

The Bloop posted:

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Is there a way to post a new thread from the android app? It says no in the OP, but OP is from 2013.

No.

Daztek posted:

Annath posted:

Randomized question:

Is there any plan/intent to add the ability to create threads within the app?

I believe there is an open github issue ready for an excited volunteer to implement it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Threads are overrated

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Excited volunteer, you say?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This sounds like you're getting hit by a captcha. It manifests as every request just failing (Awful doesn't know any better atm). This can happen if you're on a VPN, in a non-Western country, or if Cloudflare just doesn't like you (and no they won't tell you why). I've made a change that should fix this once it makes it into the app.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Is this at all related to the issue that has started recently for me, I wonder. I'm getting "your file explorer sent incompatible data" when I try to attach an image using the three-dot menu. LG Velvet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's an issue with how Google Photos communicates with Awful. When selecting a photo, pick another gallery app from the menu on the left. Samsung Gallery works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Inspector Hound posted:

Rip Firefox plugin

Firefox plugin is alive and well