Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The point is to hold down the button and go brrrrt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Playing only on hard, I find the dmr is hands down the best and most versatile gun. Best dps and the stun is very good.
I would rank the saw as second because of how many stuns you can lay down, you should sweep over a horde instead of focusing one bug at a time so you can delay and sometimes hold back an entire wave while your team kills them off.
Don't know about the support GL, its projectile drop and limited ammo makes it too clumsy for anything except the arc defense where its aoe is maximized.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm not sure I get the point of the SAW. You chew through ammo, with only marginal gains on bugs killed. The Morita is best in class, and the reload time on the SAW seems to make the Morita a much more efficient bug killer, even when they're right on you.

It has heavy stagger so you can spray across a line of bugs and keep them at bay. It's less a weapon for killing and more a weapon for crowd control, like the carbine. It's also GREAT for horde clearing because you still kill drones in like 1-3 hits so you can brrt and watch number go up. I have a clip of this earlier in the thread.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Don't know about the support GL, its projectile drop and limited ammo makes it too clumsy for anything except the arc defense where its aoe is maximized.
It's more limited before you get extendo mag, but excellent once you do. I mean given how versatile the marksman rifle is it's pretty close but grenade launcher has excellent killing capacity and some minor splash to boot. Only time you're in trouble is a further away gunner but then you pull out the secondary if you can't arc it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Has anyone started getting insane lag during the end horde? For the first few weeks the game ran 50-60 FPS flawlessly for me but now at some random point during the big fight the game drops to 5-10 FPS. I'm wondering if some patch did something because unless my graphics card just decided to start failing I don't know why this is happening out of nowhere.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah there's been a lot of weird spikes for me.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
That and bugs just teleporting like the server is lagging.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Headsup, a discord update/change means we had to set a new permanent invite for the co-op goons server, this one should be stable:

https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

link in op updated

hoping for game update soon too, never played squad so not sure what to expect from this dev

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

The GL with extended mags is really, really good. It just takes a couple games to get used to the drop and you'll be nailing gunners and groups of warriors in no time. On Vet the self-damage is less than a single nibble from a drone so you can absolutely use it point blank when you're getting crowded. On Vet it only takes 6 nades (out of 9 in your mag) to kill a grenadier, half that to kill a gunner.

For anything beyond the honestly reasonably far range it has can be dealt with with the heavy pistol. It's honestly my favorite setup in the game currently.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Sweet, there's a thread. My son and I have been playing the crap out of this game for the last week, just the two of us joining randos.

I've got a decent amount of time in all the roles, enough to have at least a full card of perks so I'm not useless fresh meat, but Hunter just feels perfect.

I've been getting some wild graphical glitches lately, rainbow test patterns in smoke clouds, textures dropping out. Also falling out of the map increasingly often, like 4 times last night.

Anyways, curious if anyone else feels like they're adjusting the difficulty of Veteran up? I've lost 4 out of the last 5 vet matches with the ARC destroyed by overwhelming plasma fire. One of the matches, I had eyes on 8 grenadiers. They were practically ripple firing, people spawning in and immediately dying, locked in a cycle.

ETA: Hunter; scoped rifle, the good handgun, chem grenades, scan beacons, extra grenades, and extra mags. The ideal loadout.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 12, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Sweet, there's a thread. My son and I have been playing the crap out of this game for the last week, just the two of us joining randos.

I've got a decent amount of time in all the roles, enough to have at least a full card of perks so I'm not useless fresh meat, but Hunter just feels perfect.

I've been getting some wild graphical glitches lately, rainbow test patterns in smoke clouds, textures dropping out. Also falling out of the map increasingly often, like 4 times last night.

Anyways, curious if anyone else feels like they're adjusting the difficulty of Veteran up? I've lost 4 out of the last 5 vet matches with the ARC destroyed by overwhelming plasma fire. One of the matches, I had eyes on 8 grenadiers. They were practically ripple firing, people spawning in and immediately dying, locked in a cycle.

Are you playing AAS or the longer base building mode? I've noticed a lot more losses in the "big" mode, but it varies WILDLY depending on how bullshit the spawns are. You know you're in for a bad time when the gas is like 500+ m out and up a series of cliffs/tunnels and ores are no closer. Had one game with the dropship spawn in like 600+ m away too. AAS is a lot more "concentrated"

Once you hit level 5+ on the base build mode it can get stupid

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Both, all of them. I like to mix it up, just hit Quick Play.

Last night, 2 AAS where the ARC was down around the 50% complete mark, one ARC where we died at 0 gas canisters and only a few ore, and another where we had just started the ARC and then I think we didn't even make it to 25%. And only one of them had a real bullshit spawn roll; base in the NE by the starport tower, gas in the far north, at the bottom of the canyon. 450 by the crow, but like twice that from all the switchbacks or trying to climb cliffs.

Oh, and both AAS games, we had no nuke launchers spawn, so that was extra fun.

Probably not relevant, but one of the ARC games we only had to bring 4 canisters of gas.

One more thing, I've noticed a lot of people falling off the dropship ramp on pickup because it's perched on a railing. That's getting kinda old

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Still solo queueing a few times a week when not playing Diablo 4, but eagerly awaiting updates.

Slyphic posted:

Oh, and both AAS games, we had no nuke launchers spawn, so that was extra fun.

No rocket launcher games are the roughest. A few GL equipped operators or scan + chem grenade users can keep crowds of warriors at bay, but it's much harder to take down gunners and grenadiers quickly without rockets. Critical damage areas on grenadiers especially would be nice to help with this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Definitely more of a support weapon than a solo use weapon. Have been playing mostly hard for majority of my playtime, most guns do feel like they could use some balancing. How frequently did they update Squad? IE will we be waiting 2 years for another map?

Squad got pretty significant updates every 3-6 months, if I had to guess then the current roadmap is probably what they're planning over the course of the next year.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I think I'm too old to use Discord, I can't get the Citizen role in the SST:E discord at all.

Supposedly you click a reaction and then it gives you the appropriate role, but that must mean something other than what I'm doing, which is clicking the checkmark reaction? Am I stupid, or is Discord stupid?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Had the smoothest ARC match I've ever played last night. Normal difficulty, but I don't think we had a single trooper respawn, no wall breaches, just sane sensible adults that know how to use comms actually working together. And that was with 600m+ gas and evac runs.

It was a really nice change of pace.

Back to an equal mix of 10 year olds, non-English speakers, rudimentary bots, lone wolf glory hogs, and people that design a base like they asked ChatGPT for advice.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Fishstick posted:

I think I'm too old to use Discord, I can't get the Citizen role in the SST:E discord at all.

Supposedly you click a reaction and then it gives you the appropriate role, but that must mean something other than what I'm doing, which is clicking the checkmark reaction? Am I stupid, or is Discord stupid?

I think you want to click the bookmark that other people have clicked under that message.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

I think you want to click the bookmark that other people have clicked under that message.

If you mean the green checkmark, I have. It doesn't seem to do anything other than pop up an explanation of said reaction

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Fishstick posted:

If you mean the green checkmark, I have. It doesn't seem to do anything other than pop up an explanation of said reaction

Not that checkmark. There should be another checkmark under that message with a number next to it showing it's been clicked by others

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

Not that checkmark. There should be another checkmark under that message with a number next to it showing it's been clicked by others

There's not. There's a 3-dot menu to "View reactions" but that doesn't have any further interactivity:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

OK, I just joined the discord to figure out the process for you. You're welcome

Three steps.

Open the Rules channel under the Information group.

Click the checkmark underneath the bigger checkmark, it should have a massive counter next to it.

This should popup a rules window you have to scrolldown and agree to.

THEN, I had to click the countered checkmark one more time, and I got the full channel roster.

Do that. Maybe leave the server and rejoin if some step isn't working.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turns out I had "Show emoji reactions" turned off in settings

Never seen this before as a way to authenticate for a discord server, what the hell

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

Turns out I had "Show emoji reactions" turned off in settings

Never seen this before as a way to authenticate for a discord server, what the hell

It's pretty common on servers that make use of bots to distribute roles, it's pretty common for goon servers make use of it if they're any size larger than small.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Most of the time it's been with chat bots or via a bot that DMs you in my experience, havent had this reaction-clickin' method before. Then again it's pretty much only the goon coop discords and the DRG discord so far.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I buy game,

i will play game,

soon i will return with judgement.

thank you for your time.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Playing Veteran more, since I maxed out each class...

The thing I'm learning is Rocket Launchers aren't as great as in Normal. I think the DMR is a better weapon than rocket launcher for Hunters in most cases. In Normal, if a gunner eats a direct hit from a rocket, it's dead. In Veteran, it takes two. Gunners are one of those things that unless you're behind Invincible Rails you need to delete right away. Without being able to delete them quickly, Rocket Launchers become a lot less useful for taking out priority targets. Warrior bugs also have more health and aren't deleted as often by Rocket splash, however they're still taking splash damage so rocket launchers are still useful for hordes of warriors + drones fulling in around a bunker or wall. As such, I might argue that Operators may be better off holding Rocket Launchers while on the walls/bunkers. Hunters are better off in intersecting fields of fire with DMRs. I'd really like to see what the damage difference between a direct hit from a DMR vs a rocket is... since while rockets probably do more damage, they probably don't do enough damage to justify the slow travels times and small magazine size, compared to a DMR where you can just do more follow up shots within the same amount of time to delete priority targets, especially Gunners and Bombadiers. The other thing to take into account is travel time for rockets versus bugs flinching/side-jumping from being shot by a high-stun weapon. While before that might have been okay, now with less burst potential those misses become much more dire for rockets.

Also I don't know why Veteran doesn't award more xp.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 15, 2023

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Unless they have changed it, you can swap your sidearm for the rocket launcher. You can have a dmr and a launcher.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Unless they have changed it, you can swap your sidearm for the rocket launcher. You can have a dmr and a launcher.

Yeah it's still this way, and you can, but practically speaking once base defense and escape starts, you're going to use one or the other unless you're out of ammo on one or inbetween reloads. This is due to the slow weapon switching that happens.

I'm saying that, if there are limited rocket launchers, in veteran, Operators are probably better suited to have them than Hunters. Hunters are better used by being placed at high positions with overlapping fields of fire where possible using DMRs, focusing down special bugs. In veteran while you can perform deletion of special bugs with rocket launchers, they're better served to be use as splash damage against the hordes.

In normal, Rocket Launchers typically edge out DMRs, one hitting stuff. This makes them more useful in the hands of Hunters.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 15, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Operators have access to Grenade Launchers though, and there's a lot of overlap between GL's and rocket launchers, esp on the "splash damage" front. If you already have a GL there's really no reason to ALSO pick up a rocket launcher.

I see more games on Vet go to poo poo because everyone's focused on sploding up Warriors instead of the half dozen gunners that keep oneshotting peeps. You can lob 2 rockets at a gunner a lot faster than it takes to delete them with the scout rifle; esp with the big stun/kb on sniper hits that can move them back behind cover.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 15, 2023

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Warriors should definitely die to a direct rocket hit even on Veteran, I really don't like that they take a rockets and a bullet or 2 to kill.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Hunter main, mostly on Vet, and indeed I always feel the most useful in a perch with a DMR ignoring warriors and being on the lookout for big bugs and killing them before they become a threat. Gunners take first priority, and Grenadiers second, Tigers third.

I've had to really restrain myself from dumping into warrior blobs, because inevitably that moment when my back is turned, I'm going to get taken out by a Gunner or Grenadier. Also, I swear both of them have increased aggro against elevated targets, which is kinda fine and makes sense, and I can handle, but I'm curious if anyone else gets the same feel?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Slyphic posted:

Hunter main, mostly on Vet, and indeed I always feel the most useful in a perch with a DMR ignoring warriors and being on the lookout for big bugs and killing them before they become a threat. Gunners take first priority, and Grenadiers second, Tigers third.

I've had to really restrain myself from dumping into warrior blobs, because inevitably that moment when my back is turned, I'm going to get taken out by a Gunner or Grenadier. Also, I swear both of them have increased aggro against elevated targets, which is kinda fine and makes sense, and I can handle, but I'm curious if anyone else gets the same feel?

I think it’s a result of you being in the open space of their sight line. So they aren’t programmed to go for higher targets persay, but you’re the most visible and thus most likely to be targeted.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Fishstick posted:

You can lob 2 rockets at a gunner a lot faster than it takes to delete them with the scout rifle; esp with the big stun/kb on sniper hits that can move them back behind cover.
This depends on distance and positioning. If you're essentially on the front line then sure, 2 rockets works okay. But if you're in a Hunter Hidey Hole, some building/feature decently across or around the base, then it's a longer distance. In that case DMR seems to clear them quicker. Further, if there's at least another hunter on their game with a DMR, then you'll still be dealing with big stun/kb from sniper hits from those other players, which can throw off your rocket snipes.

Essentially what I'm getting at is: With increased bug health from Veteran, there's no longer one-hit-kills for rocket. With Hunter, there are no extended mags, so we're talking 3 shots and a long reload. That means that every rocket shot you take has a much larger opportunity cost than a single shot from a DMR with 16 round magazines.

It takes about 5 shots from DMR to take out a Gunner, and 2 rockets to do the same. If I miss one, two, or even three shots with a DMR during base defense, from a hidey hole, it usually doesn't matter. Missing with a rocket does. If I'm on the ground and facing down a surprise gunner, with no cover... neither of them matter. DMR is either not getting the accuracy needed or stuns to prevent Gunner from killing me, and rockets travel too slow to slay the enemy in time before I die, especially since it takes two (in normal a one-hit-kill might save me).

I'm just getting at that Veteran puts rockets in a weird position where in Normal they're great for rocket sniping but in Veteran they're better as a front line defense weapon to be spammed, and then shooting after special bugs when they present themselves. Maybe Operators aren't that job and we have front line hunters, but I'd like to see more class adjustments for that sort of thing (We need frontline hunters as more of a build thing anyway).

Slyphic posted:

GruntyThrst posted:

I think it’s a result of you being in the open space of their sight line. So they aren’t programmed to go for higher targets persay, but you’re the most visible and thus most likely to be targeted.
I think Grunty is right, but also you need to find your high elevated areas with rails for cover. Standing on top of high walls or whatever is a death sentence, assuming it's within viewsight of where the bugs are spawning.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Rail blocking is some cheesy bullshit and I ain't about it. I've been shot through rails by a gunner, either because the best perch near the base isn't actually that high and they can get an angle on me, or I'm too close to an edge, and they shoot me from outside my FoV.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I agree it's cheesy, but also there isn't very good cover otherwise? I'd like to see destructible cover, but that'd probably create too much lag or tax the engine too much on top of regular destructible bases. I'd like to see more sandbags and other types of cover that don't have shooting issues.

I'm just rolling with that until we get better cover. To me it seems clear the devs created little rooftop areas and stuff for Hunters to shoot from. I also enjoy the fact that depending on base location, with Veteran, we'll get more plasma bugs spawning that are in hard to reach places, so I have a good excuse to leave my perch and go hunt them, down, where hunters actually live up to their namesake.

With how much damage and accuracy gunners have, being in the open on a high perch is just a death sentence. There's little time for reaction.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The best cover is the floor. Crouch, and keep to the middle, just peeking over the edge. Works from most of the sniper nests pretty well.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What I want

is a flamethrower

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Most important change needed, bar none; a different squad color than orange. Dare I suggest green, but literally anything other than the color of 80% of the map.

Also, anyone else find the single most effective thing they can do at the end once they make it to the dropship is to crouch in the back, tab open the map, and start issuing orders? Like I'm zen with the loose collective approach throughout the rest of the mission, but I start to lose my cool when people are loving around at the end (I think it's the music). "we have two out, bastion at the pillars needs support, lay down covering fire from the ridge, we've only got 60 seconds, rest of you spread out around the ship on close protection." "The last guy's going down and we'll never make it to him in time. Sorry dude. Time to lift off."

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I think you're doing a public service, but I'll probably just continue to shoot idiots who won't get in the boat. Assuming I haven't already died trying to go back for someone who is completely unsavable (gotta keep the end of the match interesting somehow).