Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
For me, I've found that if I stay in the lab too long I get anxious about going into matches. Also I've found all too often that my carefully labbed combos are kind of turbo rear end and/or impractical to pull off in an actual matches, so I try to train just enough to learn the specials and a couple of 3-hit baby combos to punish with, then just throw myself into the grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Merton Blask posted:

Are you guys really just ripping straight into ranked? Madness.

yeah? why not?

people are getting way too hosed up about ranked. it's not a reflection of your worth as a person y'all need to chill the gently caress out. the mode exists primarily so you can fight people at your level, not everyone wants to sit in casual where you either wipe the floor with someone brand spanking new or get turbostomped by justin wong. literally nobody, i mean not one single person cares what your sf6 rank is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah? why not?

people are getting way too hosed up about ranked. it's not a reflection of your worth as a person y'all need to chill the gently caress out. the mode exists primarily so you can fight people at your level, not everyone wants to sit in casual where you either wipe the floor with someone brand spanking new or get turbostomped by justin wong. literally nobody, i mean not one single person cares what your sf6 rank is.

https://twitter.com/GoonPNW/status/1612540546597228544?s=20

Advice I will never learn myself.

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001
Lapsed SF5 player finally going online for the first time tonight and some things never change, huh

He was even winning!

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Dekk posted:

Lapsed SF5 player finally going online for the first time tonight and some things never change, huh

He was even winning!

This happened to me tonight as well, right at the start of a game. I think there are connection issues or something because most of the disconnects I've seen make no sense as ragequits.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think it's tough to focus on timing combos in actual fights. At least for me I don't see any way to actually use them other than do them so many times in training that the active part of my brain has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mode 7 posted:

I think I want to learn a character on Modern controls just as a thought exercise. I wonder what my fundamentals are like if I'm not fumbling quite as much for inputs/buttons. Doing some sort of Modern rushdown character to get me right out of my comfort zone (I generally play zoners) might be fun too.

This is... honestly a pretty good idea. I might have to try it myself.

Sinatrapod posted:

For me, I've found that if I stay in the lab too long I get anxious about going into matches. Also I've found all too often that my carefully labbed combos are kind of turbo rear end and/or impractical to pull off in an actual matches, so I try to train just enough to learn the specials and a couple of 3-hit baby combos to punish with, then just throw myself into the grinder.

Yeah, same. I haven't seriously played a FG since I fell off of Strive (mostly due to getting to play a bunch of single-player games in a row that I had been wanting to play for ages), so my first couple of weeks of SF6 have been me in WT, Arcade, training, and combo trials in an attempt to knock off some of the rust. Today was my first day online, and I felt anxious in a way that I haven't felt in ages, which didn't help me any in my first couple of hours or so as I was struggling with not being able to pull off anything.

Feels good to be back at the grind

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I think it's tough to focus on timing combos in actual fights. At least for me I don't see any way to actually use them other than do them so many times in training that the active part of my brain has absolutely nothing to do with it.

IMO fighting a level 7 CPU in training mode is a good middle step to getting a combo down. Fighting CPU is awful for learning neutral, but it's a decent way to practice a combo while also dealing with pressure. It's a decent middle ground between beating up a dummy for free and an actual human who will figure out what you're trying to do and blow you up for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Banjo Bones posted:

I'm looking for easy shortcuts, y'know quick fixes and the like, not displays of raw talent. You're just telling me to "git gud"!

I'm sorry but there's no shortcuts.
Tap Forward + HK and start inputting the super between the time you input it and the button connects.

It's just something you need to practice. Or switch to Modern.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

That is exactly how you should be doing it. The more you practice the more you can offload things like that to the muscle memory the more you can focus on actual strategy.

But don't get discouraged. It takes a while. It's just like learning to play an instrument. You will fumble about for a while trying to remember how to play specific chords instead of playing the song and that's okay.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Merton Blask posted:

That's what I did. I immediately picked Marisa, didn't look up anything for her besides like initial trailer stuff and didn't check her command list either. Yoloooooooooo

There's no real rewards for being high or low rank so just drop in Ranked whenever you want and they'll try to match you with someone of your skill level. I play Ranked if I feel like playing "Arcade Mode" but with real people, and I stay on a cab or in a room if I wanna run sets.

Not to say you have go in absolutely clueless! If you wanna polish some stuff up like combo execution or Drive Impact defence before jumping in, sure, go for it. But if you just want to hop in straight that's also okay. Or you only play Casual with your main character and Ranked with everyone you're trying to pick up, sure. Whatever makes you have fun!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Merton Blask posted:

It's the easiest way to play people of your skill level. You should be going straight to ranked.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Modern is rad. And if classic is a guitar, modern is like a keytar with a backing beat and lights! It's very chic.

I wonder if BattleHub tournaments are coming back by the way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just found the part of your profile that shows your meter usage, and guess who doesn't know how to use drive rush well at all.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

chumbler posted:

Gold has taught me that modern controls players didn't pay $60 to not push buttons. Good practice for testing whether you know the gaps and punishable spots in their character's strings, though.

Classic players push buttons also. And I know people who play both modes, that's right, we're blurring the lines here.

I think in general your more casual fan remembers the 90s and the fun of doing all your special moves in a match.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Merton Blask posted:

Yeah, sure. Here's how I see it. This game is straightforward 1v1, so my ranking is going to be entirely based on my performance. If I am good, I will climb until I hit my level. If I'm bad, I will sink until I hit my level. Either way, it will be entirely up to me. So why not go right in? I got placed in Iron 3, but frankly? I got placed in Iron 3 because that's where I belong, as evidenced by my roughly 50/50 win rate here. When I get better, I'll get higher.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's kind of fascinating how raw drive rushes are almost useless in lower ranks because people are just gonna be pushing buttons and something's probably going to hit you as you rush in, even if it was unintentional.

PantsBandit posted:

I've had times where I thought I forgot one of the moves in a combo and dropped it, but it turns out my hands knew what to do and just took care of it for me. It's pretty cool.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

This usually works eventually but you can speed up the process by approaching it a bit more systematically.

As you've found, the reason it is hard to do combos in a real match is because of what we call "mental stacking": there is too much going on in your brain when a combo situation comes up that when it does, the combo package in your brain is way underneath everything else (everything else is stacked on top of it). Repeating it until muscle memory is like making the package smaller so you can pull it out more easily from underneath everything else (actually it's about neural pathways but the analogy is easier).

But you still need to train yourself to actually reach for the combo package and that is done by focusing on it in a lower stress situation that still gives some pushback: vs ai, vs casuals, vs friends you don't mind messing around with. Take a number of situations and build up the amount of stress you experience while trying to actually get the combo package out and really focus on doing so.

Last part is reflection and correction: not letting your brain get stuck with "failed moments" (which it can and will internalize, potentially increasing the amount stacked even). If you've done the above you've almost certainly come up to spots where you failed to apply your combo (found the package/activated the right neurons); so take one of those situations, usually a punish of say a DP and set the training dummy to do it. Then practice the block and right combo, don't rush it, sit with it for a bit, let your brain absorb how the situation could've gone and demonstrate it to yourself. No point in grinding this out either, 10 times each side is plenty. Most of the actual adjustments in your brain happen as you sleep anyway so just do it enough to make it stick in your head for a bit and sleep on it. Repeat the next day with either the same situation or a different one: plenty will be similar enough that you'll soon find yourself applying the combo even in moments you didn't practice--because you are already recognizing the opportunity as it occurs due to the similarities and are able to more easily reach for your practiced combo package(s). You have now actually rewired your brain for the sake of fighting games, doesn't that sounds cool?

Autsj fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 15, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Triarii posted:

It's kind of fascinating how raw drive rushes are almost useless in lower ranks because people are just gonna be pushing buttons and something's probably going to hit you as you rush in, even if it was unintentional.

Yeah, as a Manon clawing her way up and now in Silver, Drive Rush feels absolutely worthless despite Manon needing some approach tools entirely because chances are really high that you'll get smacked out of it.

(Manon's drive rush being basically nothing doesn't help either)

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I mained Guile in SFV. I could throw booms and flash kicks just fine.

But for some reason, in SF6, I drop a massive number of booms and kicks. Probably upward of 30% of my attempts fail, throwing out a normal punch or kick instead. I... don't know why.

So I went into training and started throwing booms trying to figure out what the gently caress, but now I am even more confused. Here's a sequence I captured:

The inputs on the bottom (with the smiley face) threw a boom, as expected. The inputs on the top (with the frowny face) did not throw a boom. The first boom was off screen (it had hit the dummy already) and, as far as I can tell, I charged the requisite amount of time (45f according to super combo wiki), followed by forward + punch.

What the gently caress? Why can't I throw booms right any more?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What the gently caress? Why can't I throw booms right any more?

Try setting button release input (i.e. negative edge) on in control options and see if that helps.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Double Bill posted:

Try setting button release input (i.e. negative edge) on in control options and see if that helps.

oh gently caress i forgot they made this a setting, might explain why my poo poo is inconsistent :shrek:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Triarii posted:

They work fine for me, but you gotta intimidate them first. There'll come a time when you've proven you can stuff their pet approach reliably or get into a little stand-off over fireballs or charge moves - and once you see them hesitating and watching for you to be throwing a (different) move, yeet yourself at their face.

Admittedly, I'm playing Deejay so the drive rush is as good a jumpscare as they come.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did my first sustained ranked session today.

I think I have learned enough about neutral to block and poke enough to chip away at the opponent to keep things competitive, but I am struggling with oki both offensively and defensively and that's when things crumble lol.

Like, if I do get a knockdown, I'm having difficulty capitalizing with trying to meaty (with Cammy the suggestion is dash up and 2HP, or mix up with a throw) and I always seem to get blown up, or if I think they're going to wakeup attack and I try to block I usually get thrown or if I'm lucky just get DIed back. Similarly, when I get knocked down my opponents seem free to run whatever offense they want lol, and even if I don't get launched or thrown I usually end up burned out simply from getting pressured

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of meaty, I was also gonna ask for beginner meaty tips. I haven't done meaty anything intentionally. For modern controls Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li for example, would any normals be good meaty moves to do in particular?

Just trying to time a hit of a move that is active on the last frame while people get up? I haven't gotten into the frame examining aspect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did my first sustained ranked session today.

I think I have learned enough about neutral to block and poke enough to chip away at the opponent to keep things competitive, but I am struggling with oki both offensively and defensively and that's when things crumble lol.

Like, if I do get a knockdown, I'm having difficulty capitalizing with trying to meaty (with Cammy the suggestion is dash up and 2HP, or mix up with a throw) and I always seem to get blown up, or if I think they're going to wakeup attack and I try to block I usually get thrown or if I'm lucky just get DIed back. Similarly, when I get knocked down my opponents seem free to run whatever offense they want lol, and even if I don't get launched or thrown I usually end up burned out simply from getting pressured

Go into the training mode and set the dummy to do reversal mash LP on wake-up. Then knock them down with the moves/combos you usually land and try to figure out a consistent way to not get blown up.
It's usually about having a consistent timing of hitting them while they're getting up, so they can't do anything about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of meaty, I was also gonna ask for beginner meaty tips. I haven't done meaty anything intentionally. For modern controls Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li for example, would any normals be good meaty moves to do in particular?

Just trying to time a hit of a move that is active on the last frame while people get up? I haven't gotten into the frame examining aspect.

Turn on frame timing display and do a move in training mode. See a bunch of bars in the middle? The ones that have more red bars are easier to meaty with.
Don't bother with trying to get the last active frames to connect. Start by just being able to stuff their mash/grab consistently.

Other than that, the best moves to meaty with are the ones that allow you some sort of game plan both on block and on hit.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Merton Blask posted:

It's by far the fastest way to learn a new character for me.
I picked up Sim a couple days ago. Went to training, hit each of his buttons, googled a simple bread and butter, then went straight into ranked.

This is how I've always played since sf4.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Battle Hub drawing everyone's attention to a streaker is really cool. Fed a Diamond Blanka 10 straight wins last night and when I got ejected from the cab there was a crowd of people round me trying to get him off the machine. Fun and educational to watch other people fight someone who has been grinding you into dust.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Trades posted:

Go into the training mode and set the dummy to do reversal mash LP on wake-up. Then knock them down with the moves/combos you usually land and try to figure out a consistent way to not get blown up.
It's usually about having a consistent timing of hitting them while they're getting up, so they can't do anything about it.

Thanks, yeah this was clearly the obvious thing to do but it helps to have someone to tell you to do it lol.

Just like with how rushing on my motion inputs is causing me to flub a lot, I think I have been probably too quick to attack most of the time and getting Punish Countered... the wakeup animation seems a lot longer in training mode without match pressure lmao

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I know some people aren't really keen on the OST but I just need to shout from the rooftops that the Tiang Hong Yuan stage music (particularly the Round 2 version) fuckin' slaps.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jack Trades posted:

Turn on frame timing display and do a move in training mode. See a bunch of bars in the middle? The ones that have more red bars are easier to meaty with.
Don't bother with trying to get the last active frames to connect. Start by just being able to stuff their mash/grab consistently.

Other than that, the best moves to meaty with are the ones that allow you some sort of game plan both on block and on hit.

Cool, thanks, been messing around in training for a bit.

So for modern Ken, the best I'm seeing is his standing medium punch (4 active frames, -2 on block), and standing heavy punch (5 active frames, -2 on block).

For Ryu in modern, he has standing medium button punch (4 active frames, -1 on block), standing heavy (5 active frames, -2 on block). Then he also has the Solar Plexus Strike on heavy with assist button, (which is 5 active frames, +1 on block). And the command list mentions how you can move first if it's blocked.

Chun's standing medium (4 active frames, +1 on block), and her back heavy Hakkai (6 active frames, -1 on block. Command list mentions its fast recovery.)

And a related question, Ken's dragon lash kick is +1 on block, so why does it seem like I don't end up safe on block doing that one, and get punished?

So pretty much, am I missing anything on that look at the moves? Do I just use those moves and practice hitting people while they're getting up?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mode 7 posted:

I know some people aren't really keen on the OST but I just need to shout from the rooftops that the Tiang Hong Yuan stage music (particularly the Round 2 version) fuckin' slaps.

The entire soundtrack is great, it's just a bit more downbeat than most fighting games, and people are typically used to fighting games going for the high-strength bangers with a really up-front melody, especially from Street Fighter.

I think it's a good move, especially with the per-round variations. If Strive taught me anything, it was that fighting games can overplay a track REALLY hard, and that saps a lot of joy out of a song like Play The Hero.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Mode 7 posted:

Lily, Blanka, Ken, Gief, and Jamie - good grief, Jamie - all have tracks that are real earworms to me. Kimberley and Cammy's themes are growing on me too. As Cleretic said it's more downbeat soundtrack but it hits just right in the moment.

I just wish it had SF5's training room music. :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Had 7 days off with travel and I suck. Tired as gently caress as well so probably not the night to play which makes me sad.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

99% of my time with this game has been in Ranked. I spent about 5 minutes each in World Tour and Hub and since then have defaulted to firing up Ranked matches everytime I've turned on the game.

I'm also pretty bad, so at some point I probably need to stop doing that and experiment more with other areas of the game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Mode 7 posted:

The entire soundtrack is packed with bangers and I'm baffled that people seem to be down on it.

Marisa's theme is genuinely awful though lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bland posted:

The entire soundtrack is packed with bangers and I'm baffled that people seem to be down on it.

Marisa's theme is genuinely awful though lol

Marisa's theme is one of the few that I like listening to. Most of the other themes feel like elevator music.

I don't think they're bad, just very...non distinct.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I dunno, I like Marisa's theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/1666652999417200641