Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just finished it, I didn’t think she was lying. when Kevin meets evie in the weird purgatory she also makes it seem like there is a split. Her dad and brother were killed in the explosion in her reality. So I think it’s just the universes are splitting and some people go to one world and some to the other

Things I liked - the running theme of a Christlike everyman, there are so many characters that sacrifice themselves for their loved ones, then God denouncing Christ towards the end just kinda reinforced it, there is no messiah from god, it’s on humanity to save itself or something

Things I didn’t like - most of the characters and all of the dialogue. Laurie especially seemed written to infuriate the audience with every appearance starting from ep one. The dialogue, ugh. Frustrating. Don’t think I’ll watch another mystery box show for a very long time I can’t deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

LifeLynx posted:

It does? She's lying.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is my understanding as well, that she backed out of using the machine. Any concrete answer to the great mysteries of life is just a comforting lie.

:aaa:

I didn’t get this at all, but then I did remember it being odd all of that happened off camera.

What’s the consensus on the dude playing God? I loved his answer to the ultimate question.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

omg I saw that in theaters, it was awful. I'm skipping the next avatar theater "experiences". theres a 45 minute sequence of just blue cgi people swimming and playing with the fish and poo poo

That poo poo owned on gummies but lol the movie was so long it wore off before it ended

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Jury Duty was a bit too straightforward and wholesome for me. The Rehersal still trounces it.

I've heard good things about Paul T. Goodman.

The Rehearsal straight up bummed me out. Need to summon the will to finish out the season bit feel bad for everyone involved other than Nathan.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

:aaa:

I didn’t get this at all, but then I did remember it being odd all of that happened off camera.

What’s the consensus on the dude playing God? I loved his answer to the ultimate question.

The entire episode is about people lying, particularly comforting lies to make themselves and others happy. Besides Kevin's obvious ruse, there's Nora's nun friend who admits the doves "spreading love around the world" is nonsense made up for the benefit of couples and wedding guests. There's also the idea that if you repeat a lie enough, you start to believe it, and the most believable lies have a bit of truth in them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

The Rehearsal straight up bummed me out. Need to summon the will to finish out the season bit feel bad for everyone involved other than Nathan.

The final scene of The Rehearsal is probably the most chilling thing I've ever seen.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

LifeLynx posted:

The entire episode is about people lying, particularly comforting lies to make themselves and others happy. Besides Kevin's obvious ruse, there's Nora's nun friend who admits the doves "spreading love around the world" is nonsense made up for the benefit of couples and wedding guests. There's also the idea that if you repeat a lie enough, you start to believe it, and the most believable lies have a bit of truth in them.

I agree with this and also I figured she was lying when she said she found her family living in the same house they were in when they disappeared. 98% of the houses in the world suddenly become vacant but you decide to stay in your crumbling empty neighborhood for 7+ years? At least find a house with a game room.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was watching this video on bad/good prologues and the basic idea was that good ones basically told the audience what the show/movie was going to be about. Heist movie having a heist scene as a prologue, dark gritty movie like John Wick having a dark gritty prologue.

The difference between Lost and the Leftovers is that the Leftovers told you what the show was going to be (with the theme song literally stating "let the mystery be"), and Lost sold you a castaway show with deep chatacter studies and sci fi puzzles meant to be solved. And instead we got religious vaguely uplifting blahness and everyone dying I guess?

Watchmen falls more in the Lost side of things I think, the last episode and closing plot is some cheesy over the top plotting with monologing threadbare villains when it started out with a powerful and true testimonial of horrifying white violence, but I guess the super villain IS super racist I guess

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

pumped up for school posted:

Piano version of "where is my mind" by the pixies?

No I think I'm mistaking it for something else now, I think I'm mixing things up - I was thinking in my head the composer had used something from Arrival, but that wasn't the case. I should have mentioned it was a part of a score and not soundtrack but then again I think I got some wires crossed

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Shageletic posted:

Watchmen falls more in the Lost side of things I think, the last episode and closing plot is some cheesy over the top plotting with monologing threadbare villains when it started out with a powerful and true testimonial of horrifying white violence, but I guess the super villain IS super racist I guess

I dunno, I felt like Watchmen was very much the same themes throughout, and a planned arc rather than rambling with no resolution to stretch it out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

forest spirit posted:

No I think I'm mistaking it for something else now, I think I'm mixing things up - I was thinking in my head the composer had used something from Arrival, but that wasn't the case. I should have mentioned it was a part of a score and not soundtrack but then again I think I got some wires crossed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVN1B-tUpgs

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

That's the one! I tried to do some googling but I kept getting articles about the score/soundtrack, which didn't give me any leads. Either google has gotten way worse or I've gotten much worse at searching.

Anyway, here is an article lamenting it's frequent use I found after another google:

https://www.cherwell.org/2020/04/27/stop-using-max-richters-on-the-nature-of-daylight-in-everything/

quote:

Most everyone knew the piece from its use as sonic bookends in Denis Villeneuve’s Arrival, but chances are most of us have heard it a number of times. “On the Nature of Daylight” also features in such films as Stranger than Fiction (2006), Shutter Island (2010), Disconnect (2012), the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2012), The Face of an Angel (2014), The Innocents (2016), and Togo (2019). In terms of television, the track also plays at the end of an episode of Hulu’s Castle Rock titled “The Queen”, and was used very recently in the 35th anniversary episode of Eastenders. Perhaps most tellingly of all, a music video for the song starring Elisabeth Moss was released in 2018.

So yeah it's fairly prolific.

Also, did anyone else think all the talk about FUBAR was everyone re-discovering the Canadian mockumentary from 20 years ago??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It got used in the last of us this year as well

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

forest spirit posted:

That's the one! I tried to do some googling but I kept getting articles about the score/soundtrack, which didn't give me any leads. Either google has gotten way worse or I've gotten much worse at searching.

Anyway, here is an article lamenting it's frequent use I found after another google:

https://www.cherwell.org/2020/04/27/stop-using-max-richters-on-the-nature-of-daylight-in-everything/

So yeah it's fairly prolific.

Also, did anyone else think all the talk about FUBAR was everyone re-discovering the Canadian mockumentary from 20 years ago??

Lol, literally just heard this on an episode of Kleo (Netflix)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Glottis posted:

I dunno, I felt like Watchmen was very much the same themes throughout, and a planned arc rather than rambling with no resolution to stretch it out.

I feel like it couldn't have been mapped out that well because 'masked vigilante cop threading the needle between institutional racism, active hate groups and police brutality' is an evocative interesting premise and 'what if doc manhattan got confused and did a time travel whoopsie while fighting a supervillain's daughter' is baby brain poo poo and the more it became about the second thing instead of the first thing the worse it got

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I feel like it couldn't have been mapped out that well because 'masked vigilante cop threading the needle between institutional racism, active hate groups and police brutality' is an evocative interesting premise and 'what if doc manhattan got confused and did a time travel whoopsie while fighting a supervillain's daughter' is baby brain poo poo and the more it became about the second thing instead of the first thing the worse it got

I didn't even know how I was supposed to feel at the end there. Seeing what happened to Dr Manhattan, was that a good thing? A planned thing? Who knows!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
It felt like the theme of Watchmen gradually shifted from "the real supervillain is institutional racism" to "the real is supervillain is this group of villains who are very racist, and the solution to racism is to get them in a room together and kill them. Also, something something, Dr. Manhattan."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Leftovers was good but I regret watching it. Rectify was amazing but I regret watching it. Just solve all the mysteries, all of them, please! Real life is full of enough unsolved mysteries, I can't stand them in my fiction.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SimonChris posted:

It felt like the theme of Watchmen gradually shifted from "the real supervillain is institutional racism" to "the real is supervillain is this group of villains who are very racist, and the solution to racism is to get them in a room together and kill them. Also, something something, Dr. Manhattan."

Yeah. First half of the show was incredible, but after the Hooded Justice episode it was diminishing returns from there on out, and its central themes got really fuzzy and watered down. Plus Manhattan not having any original reason to return to Earth other than "I was destined to" was absolute bullshit, in order to have a causal loop you need a cause, and his actions were totally unmotivated. And the stuff with Adrian was stretched out to the point of becoming boring and detracted from the overall narrative.

Still, better than most TV I saw that year.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are there any mystery box series where everything is explained and all viewers are satisfied?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

Are there any mystery box series where everything is explained and all viewers are satisfied?
I'm not sure this is a meaningful question, because I think the term "mystery box" in itself implies that the mystery is created purely to pull in viewers without concern for whether it can be resolved, so if everything was explained satisfactorily people probably wouldn't call it a "mystery box" series.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I caught Avatar: Way of Water now that it's on disney. Ridiculous blue people aside it's hard to overlook the glaring story problems. Feels like it didn't use its runtime wisely. A good vs. cartoonishly evil story is fine and all but dumbass human kid imprinting on the lab grown alien clone of the father he never knew and grew to hate all his life makes no sense. They bring this two dimensional villain back and show him as every bit of a monster as his original but the kid feels a connection to him somehow? Better save his life kid! He hasn't burned YOUR forest down yet!

I can't believe how many people worked on the story.

Edit: looks like I missed my window to post about it by a couple pages. Whelp!

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 16, 2023

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

There's always dissatisfied viewers of anything, but in terms of shows that drag out a mystery for a long time but put their cards on the table by the end with generally positive reception I can think of at least Mrs. Davis, also from Damon Lindelof, Dark, and Fringe. I'm sure there's others.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dark I felt closed the loop on everything, I can't think of anything I cared about that much that wasn't answered. Like with The Leftovers what was the whole thing with the dogs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sourdough Sam posted:

I caught Avatar: Way of Water now that it's on disney. Ridiculous blue people aside it's hard to overlook the glaring story problems. Feels like it didn't use its runtime wisely. A good vs. cartoonishly evil story is fine and all but dumbass human kid imprinting on the lab grown alien clone of the father he never knew and grew to hate all his life makes no sense. They bring this two dimensional villain back and show him as every bit of a monster as his original but the kid feels a connection to him somehow? Better save his life kid! He hasn't burned YOUR forest down yet!

I can't believe how many people worked on the story.

Edit: looks like I missed my window to post about it by a couple pages. Whelp!

Little kid who always felt like an outcast being allowed to go on exciting adventures with guys who need his help and eventually feeling kinship with them is like...very basic human nature lol

They do it on Breaking Bad with Mike and Jessie because Jessie is still mentally Spider's age

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

Dark I felt closed the loop on everything, I can't think of anything I cared about that much that wasn't answered. Like with The Leftovers what was the whole thing with the dogs

Didn't answer the question that everyone was asking though!

I lost it laughing my rear end off when he showed up in the alternate universe with both eyes but missing an arm

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shageletic posted:

The bit with the six year old near the end was extremely upsetting. I kind of wish we'd gotten more of the pilot style of episode, but the complete descent into insanity during covid production is going to leave a lasting memory.

ymgve posted:

Babylon 5 at the end of season 4. I don't know if it counts as a mystery box though since it was mostly written ahead of time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ymgve posted:

I wish there was a simple website that would just tell you if a show ended without any cliffhangers or unresolved questions. Simple yes or no.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I literally didn't care at all that The Leftovers didn't answer any questions really. It made me feel stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was talking to a friend about television's most generic ending formula, and the vibe is:

There's a big explosion, the main baddie gets clobbered but during the process one of the goodies dies. (It's sometimes more than one, but it's usually just the one, and they're ranked as fairly ancillary.)

If the lead dies they go to space heaven or some other liminal space -- alternate universe, computer world -- where they encounter copies of people they knew in their previous existence.

Everyone else escapes, but there's the suggestion that the show will continue on in some form.

[Adapt down in stakes if you're dealing with a more quotidian show, and substitute "lead character dying" with "lead character needs to move away".]

It is incredibly common, and though it's definitely produced a handful of really great finales I always see it as a bit of a waste. People get thousands of goes at pilots, hundreds of goes at first seasons and first season finales. You usually only get one or two goes at a planned obsolescence, and they nearly always waste them on one or two of the same kinds of stories.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wish there was a simple website that would just tell you if a show ended without any cliffhangers or unresolved questions. Simple yes or no.

I think you'd end up running into a lot of edge cases, like Twin Peaks (season three), The Leftovers, Angel, Hannibal, I Hate Suzie, etc. where the series ends without resolution, but that lack of resolution works given the totality of what they're driving at. Even in cases where they obviously would like to do more (e.g. Suzie).

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 16, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I understand the desire for closure and a satisfying resolution to the mystery, on the other hand the final episode of The Prisoner is one of the greatest hours of TV ever and it pissed off everyone because instead of explaining who ran the Village or what it really was they focused on a social allegory about rebellion being co-opted by the very establishment it seeks to undermine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lindeoff? Or LindeOn?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the one hand I understand the desire for closure and a satisfying resolution to the mystery, on the other hand the final episode of The Prisoner is one of the greatest hours of TV ever and it pissed off everyone because instead of explaining who ran the Village or what it really was they focused on a social allegory about rebellion being co-opted by the very establishment it seeks to undermine.
This is funny because I was thinking of the 2009 remake of The Prisoner that, iirc, tried to explain pretty much everything in its short run but also I find it all completely impossible to remember

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I literally didn't care at all that The Leftovers didn't answer any questions really. It made me feel stuff.

Same.

Silo feels mystery boxy, but it's essentially one of the goofier vaults from Fallout, and in episode 2 we get a POV shot of the outside greenery through the eyes of the sheriff, which I was conditioned to think that's something that would be dragged out until a penultimate episode. I am meaning to finish it when I have the time.

There was another Fallout like tv show or movie the came out recently from Amazon studios I think, but it takes place before any nuclear annihilation afaik. Besides the aesthetic (1950s with a pinch of Nuclear Jetsons) I know absolutely nothing about it

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Have you thought about engaging with the ideas and feelings the movie/tv shows you watch are trying to convey instead of trying to "win" at watching them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Have you thought about engaging with the ideas and feelings the movie/tv shows you watch are trying to convey instead of trying to "win" at watching them?
Have you thought about engaging with the ideas and feelings of other posters without trying to "win" at posting?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Star Wars doesn't make the cut cause we never found out what General Grievous's whole deal was. Did he have asthma? Was he programmed to have asthma?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mystes posted:

Have you thought about engaging with the ideas and feelings of other posters without trying to "win" at posting?

Yeah, I did that, "this things sucks because it didn't answer every question" and being mad about "plot holes" are really lazy ways to engage with tv/movies.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
On the other hand, shoehorning in a mystery to your tv show/movie that is actually about feelings and not about the mystery is a really lazy way to write a screenplay. If your characters are compelling they will still be compelling without the mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I did that, "this things sucks because it didn't answer every question" and being mad about "plot holes" are really lazy ways to engage with tv/movies.
Considering the way tv shows get renewed/cancelled I think it's pretty reasonable to want to know if they have a satisfying ending?

I guess I'm just too lazy to write my own fanfiction ending