Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

Last weekend I did something super fun

BEFORE I GET SAFETY POLICED - I had my neighbor who is a highway patrol captain come inspect my work - When I told him about what I wanted to do, I asked him to be extremely critical and really let me know if he thought this was safe - he was honest and he said that this would fly by him legally, and he'd let his children ride in that setup, so it was good enough for me.

its not an every day thing, I put in some super heavy duty eye-bolts that I used to anchor the seat with 3000lb rated ratchet strap - I also added a tie down anchor in the rear load floor for the 3rd leg of support (for reference a standard seatbelt is 3000 lb rated as well)

Mine was a little easier. My '70 Cutlass had a center seat belt in the rear already, but the original is designed to buckle in the middle of your waist, so I grabbed a seat belt from a G-body (which buckles to one side) and installed it instead, so I could put my daughter's car seat in there from time to time. that was 20 years ago, mind...

quote:

and this for when he's older

Cool!
I've got much more recent (though still vintage, now - 1979 release, apparently) reissue of that. Mine is from the '80s. It's a neat kit. The large scale let's it have a lot of detail, like casting marks on the heads (double-humps, as I recall.) Mine isn't "3 'n' 1" though. Just the pickup bed and one set of wheels/tires, '70s style. I like your with trad stuff.
This one (now labelled as a Monogram):

I should probably finish it some day. It's only been, uh, 30 years or so.

LobsterboyX posted:

and no visit to that museum is complete without a visit to one of my favorite pieces of military equipment...

The SR-71 "Start-Cart" that is powered by twin 425 Buick Nailhead engines. - one of the docents saw me oozling over it and came over and told me that they had it running about 10 years ago, and "it sounded like a gate to hell opened up" which really made me smile.

There are videos, or at least sound recordings, on YouTube of those things doing their job. It is pretty impressive.
Later start carts had twin big-block Chevys when the Buicks go harder to source.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdyQpEUYzI

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I love that start cart sound.

Build that T! If I ever get time again I'll build mine too!

So my wife decided she wanted to spend mothers day at the peterson - which I've been pretty hesitant to visit since they remodeled it.

I was impressed a little bit and not really impressed at all - they had some great cars, but there was no soul like the old museum had. the top level was everything, the middle level was a rotating exhibit space and the bottom level was a shrine to Tesla, which really bugged me - some highlights

Honestly one of the modern builders that really gets it - this thing was beautiful

the hot rod area was pretty cool, I really loved that they had these two historic rods together

Thats the Ray Brown roadster on the right and the Doane Spencer on the left, both owned by Bruce Meyer - more info on the Spencer roadster here; https://fuelcurve.com/doane-spencer-roadster/

and my old favorite tucker

the kiddo lost his poo poo when he saw this

he ran over to it and hugged it - he was talking to it like it was real, and it was probably the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time - some other couple that was there saw it happen and they said "thats the most adorable thing we've ever seen" -

on the way out I saw this amazing ride...

got me jazzed so I came home and put in some work on this

every night this week a bit more has gotten done, I have to take all apart and actually gasket and torque it for real now, but I'm thinking by the end of the week if I get time it will be ready to drop in.

I do want to take some aluminum parts to the polishers so that may slow stuff down a little bit

My wife had something to do so I took some time off work and took the kiddo out for a dad day

we watched trains and played at the park for a bit then...

we went to check out my Buick thats been locked up at the transmission shop for a few months now - I'm getting to be kinda upset about how lackadaisical he is with it, and while I didn't look too closely at it when I was up close to it, but as I was leaving and driving past it it looked a bit fishy in the back, like something may have hit it in the parking lot there - I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that it was just my mind loving with me.. but if it turns in to more.. eeeh - no pictures of this

today was good luck tho

Anyway - this old gas station has been taunting me for years, its been a dispensary, a gym and a few other failed things.. I've always wanted to turn it in to an office... and I see its got a for lease sign on it - hmmm

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 18, 2023

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Do it!!! Oh man that is the exact type of building I’m looking for. I can imagine the directions you could go with that!!!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

everdave posted:

Do it!!! Oh man that is the exact type of building I’m looking for. I can imagine the directions you could go with that!!!

Im not getting my hopes up - this is LA and they probably want a fortune for it, but a guy can dream, right?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Awesome photos from Peterson. Disappointing they turned level 1 into a Tesla shrine.

LobsterboyX posted:

Im not getting my hopes up - this is LA and they probably want a fortune for it, but a guy can dream, right?

Ime they'll probably want ten fortunes. Basically arms, legs, testicles, and first borns are out. But follow through there. Never know what you may find.

Here's hoping the buick wasn't hit because wtaf. :catstare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Awesome photos from Peterson. Disappointing they turned level 1 into a Tesla shrine.

I wouldn't worry about it - the shine is sort of dropping off of Tesla. If not for the fascist, racist, misogynistic fucker they keep voting back in as CEO, then because they keep "moving fast and breaking things" irreparably.

quote:

Here's hoping the buick wasn't hit because wtaf. :catstare:

:same:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Level 1 has always been a rotating exhibit sort of thing. There was a whole thing with Porsche a while ago, there was one where they had a bunch of cards and props from James Bond on display, there was a small display of the Warhol paintings done for Mercedes (along with the cars), etc. Looking on their site, the Tesla display is only going until October.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, the Buick did get hit - and we'll see how it goes, I did't take any pics but the rear bumper was hit, there's no outward facing damage except the bumper is very tweaked and the splash panel that goes between the body and bumper is slightly angled up - the whole back of the car is rotten and I do have a panel to repair it.

I brought the owner of the trans shop out to show him whats up and he immediately called over another guy who has a body shop in the bay directly opposing the trans shop - he said he'd get the bumper straightened out but there was nothing he could do about the rusty panel obviously - the owner also made it clear that this was on him and that he'd do his best to make it right.

I had my son with me, so I didn't want to get too far in depth with him at this point. The guy seems cool, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the lack of work done on the car over the past few months - I've called him to remind him a few things a few times, and hes been receptive and I've heard he really does want to please his customers that I know have dealt with him - so I'm feeling about 67% concerned.

Time will tell

in other news:

I made a cut file to fit this 39 Merc gauge cluster in to another dashboard - this is the outcome

Getting a lot of progress on the roadster engine - with the exception of some parts I have at the polisher, its ready -

Spent a good hour or so blowing out sand and debris from the water ports

https://i.imgur.com/AzdDNnw.mp4

had to pick the best of these 3 oil pump/distributor drive units

1 of them went to the trash can because it was so worn, and then I had to pick the lesser of the two evils. Checked them over pretty good and one of them is good, the one I used, and the other is right on the cusp of being out of spec.

a head, a few side covers and intake away from being running

this is my first time really dealing with the variations in these motors from early (28,29) and late (30, 31) - ive found a few head scrachers..

I also picked up my finished quick change unit:

this kinda has to take the backburner for now when I do the T5 swap, this will go with it. It was at my buddys shop for awhile, but he wanted me to come get it because they are setting up to paint 3 cars and didn't want this to get damaged.

more design work: I've been helping friends make car club plaques for awhile now and this is one of the latest I designed and had produced -

the guy had found a really old plaque that had the transmission on it - line for line the transmission that some dude sculpted probably 70 years ago is new again

my wife took the kid out last friday and I thought it was time to clean the whitewalls on my wagon - I did that, then looked at the rest of the car and said, ill do the windows, did that, car still looked like poo poo, so I washed it, still looked like poo poo so I said I'd put a coat of wax on it, hand got tired, one thing leads to the next, I spent 6 hours with a buffer and a few compounds getting the wagon to this

Rust holes aside, it cleans up pretty well, and seeing it like this makes me want to put more effort in to this car - I've been driving it a lot and I really really love this car.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The new longblock is pretty!

The kid is awesome <3

and the Buick is timeless. And in my wife's favorite color.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
man i would be hopping mad at the indignity of my car being at a shop, and no work being done, and then they have the audacity to bang it around and gently caress up the quarter panel. like sure anything's fixable, but it's only original once. isn't that car still wearing its original paint on most of it?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

man i would be hopping mad at the indignity of my car being at a shop, and no work being done, and then they have the audacity to bang it around and gently caress up the quarter panel. like sure anything's fixable, but it's only original once. isn't that car still wearing its original paint on most of it?

Its not original and its barely a 20' car. When I got it WAAAAYYYYY back in 05-06 it had been painted about 20 years before that, it had a considerable amount of rust in the back half of the car and some yahoo decided to start shaving stuff off it like the trunk handle, rear emblem, all the bumper guards, gravel guards and some other silly poo poo, I've spent the years slowly replacing all of that.

I dont have a pic of how bad it was/is, but the rear part under the trunk deck and floor of the trunk are extremely rusted out. That car is cool because the outer fenders bolt on to the body which is some pretty forward thinking for the time. The part of the car that looks like its got the worst of the damage is actually the worst part of the car rust wise.

None of the cars I have now are original paint, and honestly I'm kinda happy about that because I dont worry as much about them.

Trust me, I'm not exactly thrilled, but in my eyes I see the cost of the transmission coming down because of the wait and the damage sustained.

The guy seemed honestly shocked about it - the transmission shop is in a complex thats in the shape of a U, its on one side, theres a body shop next to it and a tire shop across the lot which is about a 50x50, the car is parked with a few cars blocking it in in front of the doors, the transmission is out, on the bench completely cleaned and in the process of being built. So its entirely possible that someone from the body shop or tire shop backed in to it and didn't say anything to the trans shop guy. I'm going to give him a ring tomorrow and talk about it a bit more, we had a lot stacked this long weekend so it was the last thing on my mind.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 31, 2023

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
waaaahhhttttt

just got a huge load of parts back from the polishers - I can start to finalize this build. Amazing what a bit of shiny poo poo can do - this is really one of those "this is mine?" moments - It's really too bad its gonna blow up, but at least its going to look good doing it

also been cooking this idea for a long long time -

The date has already changed and I have no less than 50 DM's on the cruise night page about it - I loved doing this as a kid, and I think a lot of other guys do - we kinda threw it out there and now its starting to get heavy, me and a friend in the car club have been trying to come up with some rules for 2 classes, one thats more of a standard type car, and then one thats kinda an unlimited class -

Years ago there was a bar that hosted a pinewood derby race - it was extremely fun and the competitive nature of people really took hold - this was about 10 years ago if not more and I typically had better things to do back then, but now that I have a kid, I think it would be super fun to build a car with him, then something a bit more edgy for myself

As an impartial jury of my peers - I present to you the rules we've cooked up - I'd love to hear your thoughts - remember this is being presented to the vintage car community in Los Angeles - I haven't released this to our demographic yet -

Here's a car I built for my nephew about 15 years ago now...

So the handful of times that I've done this I've purchased kits from my local hobby shop - that had been in business since 1955 - sadly they were victims of the pandemic and its left a giant hole for a lot of us in this area that were handy/craft/hobbyish - whatever - anyway - so I go to amazon and look for a pinewood kit - they arent the same as this, look more in to it and realize that the kits that I had used from that place were... actual... 1950s kits - since then the regulation has changed and they are completely different style builds - different wheels, nail axles instead of screws, bigger plastic wheels and not these little pizza cutter wheels with provisions for whitewall tires... gently caress, we were spoiled by that place - anyway - I found this place and called the dude up -

http://www.pinewoodderbycars.com/Pinewood-Derby-Cars-s/31.htm

oh hey now - those are the original kits still being made by a motherfuckin guy in pasadena... praise be! USING THE ORIGINAL 1953 TOOLING for everything, wheels, axles, body, fender kit - I didn't want to buy one from hobby lobby or amazon - turns out same guy has tracks for rent that we secured for our date!

anyway - enough stupid stuff... or is it - simultaneously, I've been working on a new sticker release.

and more...

THEN, I got the idea for my pinewood car and spent an hour modeling it - I may just 3d print this, fill it with lead shot, put wheels and axles on it and call it a day. and as I'm writing this, I'm getting even wilder - 3d print it, then sand cast it out of aluminum with the axles already there - then all you have to do is drill and tap for machine screws to hold the wheels on... gently caress...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You have to be loving kidding me.

My son & I designed, built and raced this one. In 2001.

Won a Major Award:

That engine looks amazing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

waaaahhhttttt

Hot dawg, that looks amazing!

Page 2, it should be Entries, not Entry's; it's plural not possessive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The pinewood drags is an amazing and fun idea, that's so perfect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love these hot dog cars.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I was going to say, looks like cub cars - so there would be plenty of kits, but finding your original kit is cooler.
For your poster, Id remove the "No Fucks Given" catagory - as Im a dad of 7-9 year olds, Id rather not have them being very excited about reading that award over and over again.
Change it to " bogus bash" or some other name
Unless this is intended not to be for kids, though I bet your son would love to make one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

When I was in Scouts, I built your usual wedge Pinewood Derby car (from the official PWD kit, same wheels as POC's kid's.) Meanwhile, my dad, Assistant Scoutmaster at the time, carves out a pretty credible '32 Ford (more or less just silhouette - no details) and runs it in exhibition - and is faster than almost everyone else. The winning car that year was literally the leas amount of wood from the kit left possible, a Serif letter "I" with the wheels attached at the crossbars of the I, and as mush weight in the vertical as allowed. I don't know if he did the "3-wheel" trick that I learned about later in life (you install one wheel a little higher than the other three, so it doesn't make contact with the track. Less rolling resistance. Now that I think about it, is it against the rules to camber the wheels so the roll on the inside edge?)

Also, that engine looks SWEET!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

LobsterboyX posted:

waaaahhhttttt

Holy poo poo that looks good

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

You have to be loving kidding me.

My son & I designed, built and raced this one. In 2001.

great minds... I hope you still have that.

sharkytm posted:

Hot dawg, that looks amazing!

Page 2, it should be Entries, not Entry's; it's plural not possessive.

noted - i spell so gud.

blindjoe posted:

I was going to say, looks like cub cars - so there would be plenty of kits, but finding your original kit is cooler.
For your poster, Id remove the "No Fucks Given" catagory - as Im a dad of 7-9 year olds, Id rather not have them being very excited about reading that award over and over again.
Change it to " bogus bash" or some other name
Unless this is intended not to be for kids, though I bet your son would love to make one.

noted! We're positioning this to be for adults, but a lot of people have reached out to me saying their kids want to do it too, so I think I can fine-line it to being somewhat sarcastic without the parroting effect swear words have on youts.

Darchangel posted:

When I was in Scouts, I built your usual wedge Pinewood Derby car (from the official PWD kit, same wheels as POC's kid's.) Meanwhile, my dad, Assistant Scoutmaster at the time, carves out a pretty credible '32 Ford (more or less just silhouette - no details) and runs it in exhibition - and is faster than almost everyone else. The winning car that year was literally the leas amount of wood from the kit left possible, a Serif letter "I" with the wheels attached at the crossbars of the I, and as mush weight in the vertical as allowed. I don't know if he did the "3-wheel" trick that I learned about later in life (you install one wheel a little higher than the other three, so it doesn't make contact with the track. Less rolling resistance. Now that I think about it, is it against the rules to camber the wheels so the roll on the inside edge?)

Also, that engine looks SWEET!

there are so many different camps when it comes to this stuff- which I saw first hand when the bar did it, and based on the pre-feedback I'm getting about this event, I think there are going to be a lot of different styles of car coming thru this - one guy told me that he intended to try to find the heaviest block of metal he could that fit the dimensions and put wheels on it, this is before releasing the official rules - in interest of not damaging the track we're renting, I told him to maybe think about bringing a bale of hay or a block of foam to stop it.

I prefer the redbull soap box derby approach - comedy, gimmicks and cleverness, which is why felt the need to add the rule of no pyrotechnics..

hot dog, acme rocket, dildo with wheels - we're walking a real fine line.

of course everyones favorite heart-of-gold nerd youtuber has created a very in depth video on all of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjJtO51ykY

I know there are people that will spend hours polishing out a nail to a flawless finish, I know there are people building advanced rigs to bend them, running sims on aerodynamics ect - I could go on and on... sometimes its just luck..

I'm just itching to release these and see what people say - also, if your in the LA area and want to do hoodrat poo poo with us, you are more than welcome.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'm

an

idiot

for doing this to a motor that needs a rebuild.

I really cant believe how amazing this looks, and I realize now that this is my favorite thing to do with a car - the detail work.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

But it's so pretty

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's absolutely beautiful. Could the carbs be cleaned up a little, maybe not shiny but cleaned up?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The carbs are a prime candidate for dry ice vapour blasting. The finish after cleaning via said method is lovely.

Also nth-ing the absolute beauty of that engine.
:perfect:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's absolutely beautiful. Could the carbs be cleaned up a little, maybe not shiny but cleaned up?

McTinkerson posted:

The carbs are a prime candidate for dry ice vapour blasting. The finish after cleaning via said method is lovely.

Also nth-ing the absolute beauty of that engine.
:perfect:

This has been my fear about doing this all along - if you dont go all the way...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

This has been my fear about doing this all along - if you dont go all the way...

This is why I almost hate cleaning/painting anything. You make one clean spot, now the rest of the room/rig looks shabby...

edit:
and yet, every part I remove goes back on cleaner... just can't not do that.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
oooh boy... honey hole pick this morning before work, showed up completely filthy and my wallet lighter

looks like im building another model a

story developing but here's a teaser:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Yeeeeeessss

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Ok, so the hot dog thing is really getting buck wild -

I've been getting many orders a day and I've been going to the post office several times a day when I get a break.

a lot of people have asked me for shirts, and while direct print has always been low on my totem pole of things I'd be in to, I had a meeting with an old colleague that was willing to share his experience with me and I figured I may give it a try. the profit margins are plenty smaller than if you were to actually go get blanks, burn a screen and pull these yourself or have someone do it for you, but its still a quick way to get exactly what you want without having to keep massive stock and basically learn a new industry - he gave me a few examples and I've ordered a few samples of this:

On my way home a few days ago, I stopped by an old favorite place of mine - one of 3 aerospace surplus houses -

I found this awesome mil-spec lever

an odd counter

and my favorite, these aerospace spec hose clamps - which was my main reason for visiting

In addition to these fun things, they also have a massive selection of hardware - all sizes, threads, types... I always like to go here when I need 1 bolt, because if you need one, your going to need a few handfuls of them for $2 bucks.

I've been going to these for many years for just about anything you need, and I realize that I am extremely spoiled having so many of these specialty businesses within a 10ish mile circle- southern california was a hotbed for aerospace, and a lot of the areas were built on the back of aerospace - these little specialty shops are quite amazing..

The most famous of them being Apex - which is where pretty much every movie prop that you know and love comes from - "greebles" is one of terms adam savage loves to throw around - its basically visual things that look like they do something but dont - the ghostbusters proton pack was built using parts from here, as was the delorean time machine - rumor has it that some of the detailing on ships from the original star wars movies also came from here.

These places are so incredible, maybe next time I go to one I'll grab a few pics, and im sure theres even a few hiding in old brick warehouses I dont even know about.

Anyway speaking of aerospace - I had a garage sale last weekend, every year a local realtor organizes a giant neighborhood wide garage sale, puts up signs, does the leg work, advertizes it - its great! I usually invite my friends to set up some crap on my lawn and sell their crap- weeeellll one of my friends comes over with this awesome airplane navigator/bomber seats that was turned in to an office chair at some pont and I had to buy it, thus negating (wife sensitive information) worth of profit I would have turned from the garage sale.

note the headrest is broken - thats a discount... I have to fix the headrest but its going to need some precision welding of ultra thin aluminum... lets see how that goes

this sucker is coming right along, I needed a few bits of hardware to continue - the next task is watching some youtube vids about how to use safety. wire

the 4 bolts that hold the bell housing on require it - I've wanted to learn how to do it for a long while, but theres a nagging feeling in me that I could just get away with locktite... im at the crossroads of modern convenience and traditional stubbornness.

Anyway, now that I've kept a cliffhanger long enough - I still have no picture of this, so I'll have to paint a brief picture with words

My wife and I have been estate sale hounds for many years and snooping honey-holes and "picks" is like a drug to me, I literally start to shake and get real weird when we walk in to some of these places, but I'm a real snob - theres a fine line in decor that tells you what your going to find at an estate sale - if there's a painting of a sad clown, there cold be some ok stuff... but if theres black and white photos of guys in WW2 gear - its ON AND POPPIN.

Anyway, one of our favorite estate sale ladies told us about the ultimate pick coming up of a hoarder.. a car hoarder...

This sale has had 3 phases so far - the first one was 1:18 scale die cast toys for $5 each - we got my kid a lot, and I bought some cool plastic model kits for when he's older...

anyway, she hit us up to go back to the guys house and see the rest of it, the previous sales had been at another location - the house was so packed it was a liability to have people go to it.

Anyway - this guy spent every dollar he ever made on anything that was remotely cool - and not just one of them, mulitples...

there were a lot of cars there that didn't fit my schemes, british stuff, a few wrecked lexus IS350's a late 60s camaro, 64 C10 chevy --- another car, that I cant talk about, with less than 5000 miles on it that will definitely make some waves ...

my favorites were the 63 econoline with a fuel injected 302 sitting on some cool little snowflake rims (project car) and another project stocker 38 pontiac.

the garage was where I started getting the shakes. giant tool boxes with tools that were never used, not good stuff, harbor freight stuff - I saw no less than 20 brand new machined cranks for BOP and standard smallblocks, new in box edelbrock intakes, fully machined motors ready to go, 10 empty engine stands, 3 or 4 brand new engine hoists fully built and never been rolled wheels, full edelbrock efi setups for sbc, 5 brand new in box repop 28-32 ford grills, 6 sprint car style quick change rear ends, piles of automatic transmissions, model a parts, giant vintage fire cabinets, just tons of brand new never used parts for whatever this guy wanted... bagged, boxed, labeled... tons of headers for whatever, jeep parts like big dana lockers and rock crawler transfer cases - 50 new in box cams... I could go on -

I showed up there at 8am, had to be at work by 930 - called in as soon as I got there told him I was going to be very late.

Anyway - I found a few things, and me and my friend are helping the family with some other business stuff so we tentatively made an amazing deal-

I bought an engine hoist for $20 bucks, those wheels I posted, another model a frame - sandblasted, ready for paint, rare 32 heavy front axle and suspension setup - sandblasted, ready for paint....

see where this is going?

and most annoyingly... a v8-60 thats chocked full of ultra rare and expensive speed parts - looks like its been rebuilt or at least gone thru...

if you dont remeber, the v8-60 is the miniature flathead v8 that I talked about awhile back it lasted from 35-40 - they're rare because most people pulled them out and trashed them because they weren't powerful - but if you hopped them up LIKE THIS ONE IS

they were used in sprint cars and other... yadda yadda yadda...

yeah you can see one here in a museum sporting the same gear mine comes with

I'm too tired to keep going you can read about this legendary place here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilmore_Field

anyway, I'm getting a bit manic with this stuff - i dont have room, time or money but a deal is too hard for me to pass up - It's eye opening about where this stuff came from, seeing the accumulation of someone with a hoarding issue hurts I'm reeling myself in from falling down that road.....

Oh yeha, theres like 2 more honey holes I'm working on and the LA roadster show swap meet (one of so-cal's biggest and best hot rod/old car swaps) is tomorrow thru saturday - HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

i dont have room, time or money but

this doesnt matter if you'll never see another one if you don't buy it, coupled with prices you can't refuse...

id say you're a lucky guy, but it's clear that you have put A LOT of time and research and networking and legwork to position yourself just right to keep getting these kinds of opportunities.

looking forward to this next project.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Lock wire: https://youtu.be/OwFjUX6SaY8

It's beautiful when done correctly, and very very secure. I used to do a lot more of it, and still occasionally do on some of my oceanographic parts. I do it to prevent fastener removal, especially during customs inspections of a hydraulic system. For whatever reason, Mexican customs folks live to remove the screws, dump oil into the foam padded case, and then close the lid like nothing happened. Idgi

I thought of you recently when I picked up a beautiful piece of MCM furniture off Facebook marketplace. It's a Tomlinson Sophisticate collection #66 sideboard and #67 upper cabinet. Pecan, Butternut, and burled Myrtle, brass and copper hardware, etc.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 15, 2023

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sign me up for a hot dog shirt.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I need two in 3x
Three in 2x

Please tell me you picked up the pocket V8

And I hope you removed the price tape from that awesome chair before Ms. LBX saw it.

I too, get hopped up at a good estate sale. My problem is that, as a property claims adjuster, I see many honey holes before anyone else, but professional ethics prevents me from, say, buying the decedent’s Emmy Award (for logistics - no idea that crew/roadies were eligible) for $100.

I also had a loss with a local photographer (south Jersey) who followed the Beatles around on their ‘64 tour and took literally miles of photos. IIRC he was hired by a local paper to shoot for an article, and somehow the band, or whoever the road manager was (if it wasn’t Brian Epstein) liked him and he just strung along with them after completing that assignment. He showed me contact prints and scrapbooks full of truly amazing, mostly candid, photos that no one has ever seen. He made some effort to get them published or distributed, but there were, unsurprisingly, enormous legal issues for an 85-year-old retiree to address. This was in 1999, the guy has to be long gone, but nothing has surfaced yet…except for a couple old photos of the band in an Atlantic City hotel room, holding a six-foot hoagie from the White House Sub Shop on Arctic Ave. that are part of the celebrity photos covering the walls of the White House. They’re behind the register, high on the wall, you can’t miss them.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lock wire suggestion: try the first couple by hand. It sucks to do a ton of wiring by hand, but it’s helpful to really get a literal feel for what you’re doing. Once you understand how to tighten the spiral exactly where you want it by hand, the pliers are there so you can go fast and look cool doing it. Also, despite the similarities, doing a triple adds a few complexities that you don’t need when you’re starting out. Just do pairs until you have a good handle on the basics. (In aviation, we never wire more than three fasteners together.)

Also, they make different size pliers for a reason. In automotive uses you can probably use .032 wire and medium pliers for everything, so don’t get a gently caress-off huge pair intended for .041 wire, and then try to use them to do .020 copper breakaway wire…

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been going to these for many years for just about anything you need, and I realize that I am extremely spoiled having so many of these specialty businesses within a 10ish mile circle- southern california was a hotbed for aerospace, and a lot of the areas were built on the back of aerospace - these little specialty shops are quite amazing..

This is something I feel about Southern California in general, that I can find anything there if I just look long enough. I'm sure many large cities are like that, but in the US I've only felt that electric sense of possibility in LA.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Midjack posted:

This is something I feel about Southern California in general, that I can find anything there if I just look long enough. I'm sure many large cities are like that, but in the US I've only felt that electric sense of possibility in LA.

up here in san jose, the impression i get is that i find records or carcasses of these places, 10-20 years too late to take advantage. if they're all still alive in LA, that's pretty amazing. maybe i am just not looking in the right places, i will grant you.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
quick post, have to document this while its fresh - will respond to the comments soon

for years now I've been looking for a better way to get music in these cars of mine.

theres a few things that really bug me about restored cars, headunits and exposed speakers is one of them

I've had the radios in my buicks restored several times, they put an auxillary cable on them and I I had some success with them years ago, but digital signal from phones doesn't play well being played thru aux cords - also, the fragile nature of these tube driven radios with big transformers, hard to find vac tubes and leaky caps is really a pain - The longest one of them lasted was about a year. I'm also not super trilled about high voltage and cloth covered wires ect -

my goal, for as long as bluetooth has been a thing, is to have a bluetooth radio that functions on the original knob - as the original did, on off and volume pot -

Also please note, I'm not an audiophile in the least - and my current setup is a JBL charge on the seat and thats cutting it, but I hate the form factor and I hate how hard it is to turn the music up or down quickly, plus having it come out of the original location is kinda part of the experience.

enter this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Am...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

so for 30 bucks, a compact board and seemingly good power and decent reviews why not, found a nice pair of $40 with good marks too

Sounded as good as I thought it would in a cardboard box, had it running on a 12v power supply so pretty accurate to how it will sound on the car system... I hope..

Sucker was loud, very loud - they're very tinny sounding, but thats to be expected from 2 4x6 speakers - more on this later..

So anyway - I pulled the old radio out of my wagon and I do feel really bad about doing this, but

so then I had to get creative and installed the speakers with lots of clearance:

Question about this: the speakers are kinda blocked, will that effect the sound? also, I don't think this is the case, but there's no way that the cone or will contact the plate I mounted it to right?

with that out of the way I turned my attention to getting the unit to interface with the original

The knob on this car screws in with a very small fine thread bolt so I had to keep this original shaft in tact

this is what the back of it looked like once I got the original pot torn down.

I took a file to it and extended the slot on it

then re-installed the shaft - the original pot controlled the on/off volume and had a secondary tone wheel, so the pot itself was a stacked unit - when I took it apart, I needed room so the tone pot had to go -

this keeper was suposed to be sandwiched between the two and kept the shaft locked in - I used some thin wire to tie it in place

its kinda janky, but the length of the shaft is enough to keep it concentric, this keeper is just there to keep the shaft from pulling out and to locate it length wise so that the original knob screws back on in the right place, so this is more than enough to accomplish that.

the idea is that the tang I filed in to the shaft will meet up with the new unit pot -

the next goal is to make some kind of standoff that will have some adjustment to hold the unit and make sure its interfacing correctly with the pot.

this will be a task for next time tho -

So here's my next steps:

I'm not sure if this unit will draw power even with the unit off so I have a few choices - figure out how to test for that, wire it to a key-on circuit (which the original power lead is not) or put another master power switch on the bottom of it or something. I also wonder how the bluetooth interface works with power on and off constantly... I'd love for it to just start playing when I turn the radio knob on.

my after that, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have the dial light come on when the radio does, as the original would do - this little unit has an indicator light, but its a teeny tiny little LED that is soldered to the board - so I dont think I could tap it, alternatively, If I was able to, I feel I'd have to run some kind of relay or resistor that would trigger the 12v incandescent- this is something beyond my skill level - I could also wire just that light to the headlight switch so that it comes on when the headlights come on... or even wire it to the master switch I mentioned above..

once thats all figured out - I'm thinking having the speakers open on both sides is going to sound kind crappy - I may try to put some sound insulation over the holes in the back and some more sound deadener to keep it from being so tinny - obviously a solid speaker box would be best, but I don't think I have the room for that once everything is packed inside this little box...

Anyway - more later

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 18, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would suggest a spacer to move the speakers back a little - the cone being up against the metal will not only make them sound crappy, it'll rip the surrounds up. Normally the cone fires outward.

But if you wire the speakers backwards (negative to positive, positive to negative), they SHOULD fire backwards, which should keep the cones from hitting the metal. As long as both speakers are wired the same, you shouldn't notice much difference unless you really crank it up. There's always going to be a little bit of rebound, but the primary direction the cones will be moving will be backwards.

I'd wire it to ignition power, the bluetooth should take a few seconds to connect. You can usually configure your phone as to whether or not it'll resume playback once connected, though that's not always reliable.

As for a box - the bulk is behind the dash, that's usually enough. Doors aren't exactly sealed well, and that's where most speakers wind up. GM and a lot of imports used to just stick little 4" or 4x6" speakers in the dash or at the very bottom of the dash with nothing behind them; you're not going for sound quality here, you just want to hear it, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 18, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This is exactly how I workshopped shoehorning a JVC into a Pontiac radio case. Trial & error.

As far as speakers go: for many years, I had a 6x9 underneath my dash opening for a 3x9. Sound was fine (eventually, was able to score a pair of 3x9s).

For the indicator backlight: consider a tiny LED bulb - you can dip them in yellow or orange paint to warm up the color temperature. I retrofit my GM clock with a tiny digital movement so it now keeps perfect time; the trade-off was that it blocked the factory bulbs, so I used hot glue to fit a couple of LEDs around the lens to illuminate the face. They were very cold (blue), but this matched the color the GM D&C guys were going for on all of the instrument lighting.

You don’t need me for this :) you will get this right. You’re gonna love it.

The ‘05 Cayenne I’m acquiring has no MP3 or BT, so I’ve been researching these units, some of which will apparently in-line somehow on the CD circuit (which I will seldom, if ever, use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If the Cayenne has external CD changer support, there's almost guaranteed to be something out there that will mimic a CD changer to give you either an aux in or (better) bluetooth streaming audio. Same if it had something like Sirius or XM support.

If it has a 3.5mm aux input (unlikely given the year, but....), there's tons of decent bluetooth adapters. I can personally vouch for this one, but you'll need a USB power supply for it. One of the best sounding adapters I've used.