Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

That may be working on your end but I see a more serious issue, you're playing UT3 :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

yes, it has worked most of the time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more SGF demos

Station to Station is a quaint casual puzzle game where you efficiently place railroad stations by resource-producing buildings and connect them to buildings that need those resources. as you complete buildings' needs, the area around them fills in with color and the music begins to add more instruments. so obviously there's a nice aesthetic reward to progression. you also get cards (this isn't deckbuilding though) that can lower the price of rails or bridges for one installation. the game isn't really hard but it does have optional challenges, like finishing the level with a certain amount of budget remaining, connecting X number of buildings all at the same time, etc. It's nice. I dunno if it's really my thing but it's pretty chill. Grade: B

Battle Shapers has a nice look... it's.. I dunno, the game is fine? But I don't really like roguelites so they have to be absolutely stellar (like Monolith) for me to want to play them. Might appeal to Gunfire Reborn nerds. I can already tell the metaprogression is wack though because the first two upgrades upgrade your shield from 25 to 50 points and your health from 100hp to 150hp. So they set you up to fail and expect you to reach a certain statistical level through upgrades. I don't like that. Grade: C+

Sludge Life 2 is more Sludge Life and it rules. Also some good cats chillin' out in this one. Grade: A

I don't recall seeing Chronique des Silencieux at any event but it popped up on my radar with a demo this week, so I gave it a look. It's a point and click adventure inspired by Ace Attorney where you go through people's testimonies (which in this game is just, basically, talking to people about any subject) and create a link between any of their statements and a certain bit of data in one of your pieces of evidence. You also create hypotheses by selecting two subjects and then choosing a verb 'key' that is meant to 'unlock' the connection between the two. I know it's Ace Attorney inspired because the trailer has a literal visual reference to the chained magatama system. So that's all well and good. I like these aspects. Biggest problem? The bugs, and the localization. It's a French game, and the English translation feels very machine-TL to me with a lot of clumsy phrasing and just lacking in any personality. The UI that was supposed to be selectable during tutorials just flat out was broken and missing so I had to cancel out of the tutorial every time and figure it out myself. The game also expects you to click to advance, and that includes when you sit on a black screen... it'll just sit there waiting for you to click to reveal the next scene. It's weird. The dialog allows you to click to speed up the text, but it also sometimes skips dialog when you do it. Very frustrating! The Kickstarter claims the game's target is December 2023... they're going to need to do some real polish work in these next 6 months to hit that target and have it come out okay. Grade: C

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That may be working on your end but I see a more serious issue, you're playing UT3 :smugdog:
I needed a handy method of visually reminding people that, oh, right, that was the bad one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Serephina posted:

edit2: yea and a bunch of stuff has regressed, like it reinterpreting exit commands as minimize, friends list popping up on boot, etc. I strongly suggest that you hold off on the update for a while.
lmao this has been the only time my friendslist didn't obnoxiously pop up on boot.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Take me back, bros...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
how far back?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hogama posted:

how far back?

reflexively deleting clientregistry.blob

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kins posted:

reflexively deleting clientregistry.blob

Christ. Don't remind me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, the pop-up menu when clicking on a friend in the friends list is no longer just completely black, so that's good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I switched to the new UI as soon as it became available in beta several weeks ago and it seems exactly the same as the old one in most ways and other than the redesigned overlay and settings screen, the only noticeable difference is a different font for the header labels. How does poo poo become so broken for people

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volte posted:

I switched to the new UI as soon as it became available in beta several weeks ago and it seems exactly the same as the old one in most ways and other than the redesigned overlay and settings screen, the only noticeable difference is a different font for the header labels. How does poo poo become so broken for people
Even if it doesn't look that different visually, if they changed a lot of stuff it's not surprising that there are regressions

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Given that it's using Chromium stuff for UI now, I have to wonder what the correlation is between "Steam completely busted" and "has 200+ Chrome tabs open".

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

Given that it's using Chromium stuff for UI now, I have to wonder what the correlation is between "Steam completely busted" and "has 200+ Chrome tabs open".
I don't think it works that way. It's not the same process as your browser.

It doesn't really make sense to say "it works for me so everyone who's complaining about bugs must be doing something wrong" because if there are bugs that made it through beta testing they are probably going to be pretty subtle edge cases, so if it works fine for you it's great, but again it's not surprising that some people might be experiencing bugs

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
The new UI update is really laggy for me. I hope they fix it but I know every UI update only gets worse for my computer.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I really wish the trend of "cross platform development" didn't mean Node/Electron.

There really needs to be a much more optimized stack that can work with native UIs or have their own. poo poo, I'd welcome Motif or the Java UI if it meant that we didn't have to basically use a browser for something that is decidedly not a browser task.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Double Clicking the system tray icon doesn't seem to open the actual app when I have a game launched? But right click --> Library or whatever will open it

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Main issue with the new UI is that it makes playing games outside of steam a huge pain in the rear end. If you try launching a non-steam game in big picture mode about half the time it won't properly detect it and fail to switch focus. This has the double annoyance of forcing you to alt tab to it but also being stuck with steam's 'desktop configuration' for your controller where the sticks act as a mouse and the triggers are mouse buttons.

The desktop configuration has the added bonus of preventing you from using a controller with any games you launch outside of steam while the app is running. So you better funnel everything through Steam or else!

It's some weird Microsoft-level poo poo. You can fix the desktop controller issue but you have to go deep into the controller options and manually unbind everything.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

unruly posted:

I really wish the trend of "cross platform development" didn't mean Node/Electron.

There really needs to be a much more optimized stack that can work with native UIs or have their own. poo poo, I'd welcome Motif or the Java UI if it meant that we didn't have to basically use a browser for something that is decidedly not a browser task.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Tcl/Tk should have been good enough for everyone. :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FishMcCool posted:

This, but unironically.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hogama posted:

how far back?

Olive green theme, built in games, hell yeah

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Assepoester posted:

Olive green theme, built in games, hell yeah

Holy hell!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steam was not ready for the 2020s Chess boom.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weird to think that valve used to make games

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mystes posted:

Weird to think that valve used to make games
Imagine having the final games you ever made as a studio be Artifact and Alyx

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Imagine the Firewatch devs thinking they could actually continue working on their second game when they joined Valve. What arrogance!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hey they're due to release a new game soon

it's an almost 1:1 remake of one of their existing games, which is just as much a vehicle for unregulated gambling as it is a game itself, but it's technically a game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Assepoester posted:

Alyx owns though

And you forgot DOTA Underlords :v: (so did they)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Assepoester posted:

Hey, Alyx is a great! It made me wish that Valve actually made games more often.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Steam Deck tech demo alone made me wish Valve would make games again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Veotax posted:

Hey, Alyx is a great! It made me wish that Valve actually made games more often.

or did anything further with VR, they kind of pulled the steam machines "launch a niche platform and expect everyone else to go out of their way to target it at their own expense" maneuver again

lord knows they could afford to help incubate 3rd party PCVR development until it's self sustaining but they just threw up their hands and moved onto the next thing (steam deck)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

repiv posted:

hey they're due to release a new game soon

it's an almost 1:1 remake of one of their existing games, which is just as much a vehicle for unregulated gambling as it is a game itself, but it's technically a game

Any word on when this is out?

I can't remember what they said at the time and for whatever reason have chosen to ask Something Awful forum users rather than Google it, but something in my brain tells me it's due?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CS2 is due in "summer", they've already completed the official final major tournament on CS:GO so there's no events that could hold up the launch now

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Isn’t an Index 2 already basically confirmed from various leaks? I don’t think Valve is giving up on VR at all. For a relatively small company they’ve been doing a lot recently.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

releasing another headset doesn't really help their position in the VR market when standalone and console VR is sucking all of the oxygen out of the room, both because that's where the most users are and because meta/sony are financing exclusives

PCVR isn't struggling for lack of headsets, it's struggling because there's no money in it for developers, so games fall into the categories of "barely utilizes PC capabilities because it has to also release on the quest to turn a profit" or "high-spec game bankrolled by sony that will take 5 years to come to PC, if ever"

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 15, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Maybe a different issue, but did you try restarting Steam after uploading the templates?
Yes, this used to be a problem too.

Hmm, it's exactly this which has been open for a couple of months.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 15, 2023

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FishMcCool posted:

I mean. It's to launch my games. Ideally, I'm not going to be looking at the UI for very long.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if The Next Valve VR Headset is a standalone using some variant of the Steam Deck's guts.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Kins posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if The Next Valve VR Headset is a standalone using some variant of the Steam Deck's guts.

That's the rumour, the Deckard codenamed headset is meant to be a headset that can connect either to a PC or to a waist mounted pack that's basically a screen less Steam Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think a lot is riding on whether or not they announce the deckard ahead of the quest 3 launching in ~september, if it's anywhere close to being released they'll want to get ahead of the new quest before their potential customers buy it

if they let the quest 3 launch unopposed then welp, deckard is probably still a year off