Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Are any of the AI twitch streams animated live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Happy Landfill posted:

I feell like that's basically the anime industry, with how short their lead time is

There’s a bunch of anime studios all in the same street in Tokyo and they’ll have staff regularly run between them helping to draw/animate last minute rushes. I remember reading that episodes of Yuri on Ice were still being animated on the day of broadcast, and had frames scanned while the ink was still wet.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

A.o.D. posted:

Are any of the AI twitch streams animated live?

Streams which use those Vtuber avatars are technically animated by AI, though all the art assets are just created in advance.
VuloLives has strong Space Ghost vibes and is essentially a twitch cartoon with a Vtuber.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

cartoons123 posted:

I have the feeling that it mostly likely will be Adult Swim, because well, where else is it gonna air. Cartoon Network doesnt even have 6PM anymore imao:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/adult-swim-expansion-nostalgia-block-checkered-past-cartoon-network-1235398446/

(It's weirdly morbidly funny how at least a couple of months ago, people were worried they were dropping Adult Swim, and it feels like instead the reverse is happening, where they're basically downplaying Cartoon Network beyond being the Kids Brand for Cartoons)

That's a big jump in viewers for what has been almost exclusively King of the Hill reruns.

Not that I'm complaining, I'll tell you what.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
10 Year Old Tom is back! https://twitter.com/stevedildarian/status/1669347837128351748

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
New Clone High continues to be pretty good. That they're starting to have all the clones hook up is definitely a good move. I'm also a big fan of the seamen of their educational shanties!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Based on how Max (FKA HBO Max) completely failed to promote this, and then the radio silence ever since, I thought for sure it had been cancelled. I still don't trust that Zaslav won't axe it before the 29th.

(Though I suppose the lack of promotion kind of makes sense, given that the "Did you like The Life and Times of Tim? Have you even HEARD of the Life and Times of Tim?" market is probably very small and hard to reach.)

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

KingKalamari posted:

New Clone High continues to be pretty good. That they're starting to have all the clones hook up is definitely a good move. I'm also a big fan of the seamen of their educational shanties!

I am enjoying it too. I remember that people got mad when the unfinished first episode was leaked and people thought they ruined the show. It was okay but the weakest of the new batch. Glad Phil Lord and Chris Miller got their footing back.

On the plus side, looks like there's another season for next year!

https://twitter.com/DailyCloneHigh/status/1669343437458661379?t=7siDXbyJdJEGO2g7tKde8A&s=19

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yep, I think it was always a 2 season order iirc.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JethroMcB posted:

(Though I suppose the lack of promotion kind of makes sense, given that the "Did you like The Life and Times of Tim? Have you even HEARD of the Life and Times of Tim?" market is probably very small and hard to reach.)

It is absolutely criminal that more people didn't know about that show. Its one of the greatest animated comedies ever made.

Anyways, gently caress yeah Season 2. Looks like there are some good plot lines from the trailer. Tom Motorboats the Lunch Lady is going to be good.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Warbird posted:

Yep, I think it was always a 2 season order iirc.

Yeah I was figuring as much, but still good news! Seeing it get renewed for a third season is the big question. David Zaslav hates cartoons but since Phil Lord and Chris Miller grew into big boy Hollywood pants the past 20 years it'd be a bad idea to blindly cancel a show and miss chances of them working on something in the new DC Cinematic Universe and whatnot. Chances might be good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a bunch of anime studios all in the same street in Tokyo and they’ll have staff regularly run between them helping to draw/animate last minute rushes. I remember reading that episodes of Yuri on Ice were still being animated on the day of broadcast, and had frames scanned while the ink was still wet.

The anime industry is literally held together with duct tape

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

fairly often they don't have time to finish it for broadcast at all and go to air with rough assets, then do a final polish pass for the later bluray release

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
For some reason the latest Clone High ep has the audio description as both English audio channels

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Waffleopolis posted:

On the plus side, looks like there's another season for next year!
scrolling past I was very surprised to see a block of text with a "WARNER BROS. DISCOVERY" header that didn't end with something being cancelled

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

For some reason the latest Clone High ep has the audio description as both English audio channels

Oh so that's happening with everyone? I thought I had accidentally selected something and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Both of this week's episodes of Clone High were great; the best duo drop since the reboot started. Scudworth and Mr. B's Vegas sojourn highlighted just how much I really love the UPA style of the art in the show when they just lean all the way into it.

Plus Genghis remembered how to speak! The cheerleaders were back (in black)! Shell Silverstein!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Primal Season 3 confirmed in production.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

Ayup, teaser and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsTC2vzYmU0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've pretty much only seen Luthor as a businessman stories, and I don't think any comic supervillain businessmen come close, but I do like that in his original roots as a scientist, the reason why he hated Superman was because he made an experiment go wrong and was the reason why Luthor went bald.

I like the what if story where he cures cancer and does all these good deeds just to trick and then lures superman to his space station with a false flag and then murders him with krytonite ray.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Warbird posted:

Holy poo poo! I thought what we got of Primal was it!

It will be interesting to see what they do since I seem to remember Genndy giving an interview and saying if he does another season it will focus on all new characters.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I wonder what the over under is on a super messed up/melted Spear making an appearance.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well now I'm curious. What the hell is season 3 gonna be about. Season 2 seemed pretty conclusive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

Well now I'm curious. What the hell is season 3 gonna be about. Season 2 seemed pretty conclusive.

Tartakovsky did say at one point it could be an anthology show, so possibly a totally different story.

I like Unicorn well enough but this is very very exciting to me. Let’s do thisssss

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Waffleopolis posted:

David Zaslav hates cartoons

There was an interview with Michael Ouweleen when they announced the expansion of Adult Swim's timeslot where he said that the case he's made to Zaslav & Co. post-merger is that there might be a higher up-front cost and leadtime than the unscripted stuff they're familiar with, but that an animated series instantly becomes timeless library content. Animation viewers tend to return to series that they like for years after its initial run, and shows have a tendency to pick up more fans as time goes on and it gets discovered by new generations of viewers - citing how reruns of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, a show with episodes that are now old enough to drink, still accounted for almost 5% of all AS viewership in 2022. Seems like maybe his pitch is working.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

There was an interview with Michael Ouweleen when they announced the expansion of Adult Swim's timeslot where he said that the case he's made to Zaslav & Co. post-merger is that there might be a higher up-front cost and leadtime than the unscripted stuff they're familiar with, but that an animated series instantly becomes timeless library content. Animation viewers tend to return to series that they like for years after its initial run, and shows have a tendency to pick up more fans as time goes on and it gets discovered by new generations of viewers - citing how reruns of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, a show with episodes that are now old enough to drink, still accounted for almost 5% of all AS viewership in 2022. Seems like maybe his pitch is working.

Which while true makes yanking Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast all the more frustrating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished season 2 of Human Resources. I know most people are sick of the Big Mouth universe now, which is fair, but I thought this was one of the better seasons to come out of it all. Plus it’s wild that they can get people like Florence Pugh and Miley Cyrus to play regular characters. I love that this spin-off has meant that David Thewlis can have a bigger role as he’s always been my favourite part of either show. Plus there’s less children which helps with how creepy some people find that element of the main show. The main kid in this season was in a storyline about helping a non-verbal autistic child communicate a want, which I thought was legitimately excellent.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

Which while true makes yanking Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast all the more frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yizuPav8E_E

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JethroMcB posted:

Which while true makes me say "how in the name of gently caress did he get to be the owner of a TV network without understanding more about TV than a 3-year-old"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Data Graham posted:

Which while true makes me say "how in the name of gently caress did he get to be the owner of a TV network without understanding more about TV than a 3-year-old"

Because he made a lot of money in the specific lane of very cheap, highly disposable television and decided to buy a major motion picture/scripted television studio with the assumption that he and his executive team had skillsets that were universal.

Oops.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

JethroMcB posted:

Hell, look it Family Guy becoming more popular through re-runs and DVD sales

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first Futurama revival happened because it got such good numbers in reruns on Adult Swim.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

JethroMcB posted:

Because he made a lot of money in the specific lane of very cheap, highly disposable television and decided to buy a major motion picture/scripted television studio with the assumption that he and his executive team had skillsets that were universal.

Oops.

It's literally sadly as simple as this. Plus there is no relationship between competence, passion, or knowledge when it comes to being an owner of anything in this country, as capitalism comes down to "whomever has the most money gets to make the rules".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neeksy posted:

It's literally sadly as simple as this. Plus there is no relationship between competence, passion, or knowledge when it comes to being an owner of anything in this country, as capitalism comes down to "whomever has the most money gets to make the rules".

It's Jack Welch's world, we're just living in it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I finished season 2 of Human Resources. I know most people are sick of the Big Mouth universe now, which is fair, but I thought this was one of the better seasons to come out of it all. Plus it’s wild that they can get people like Florence Pugh and Miley Cyrus to play regular characters. I love that this spin-off has meant that David Thewlis can have a bigger role as he’s always been my favourite part of either show. Plus there’s less children which helps with how creepy some people find that element of the main show. The main kid in this season was in a storyline about helping a non-verbal autistic child communicate a want, which I thought was legitimately excellent.

I was kind of "eh" on it. They really needed a stronger central thread. The episode about helping the kid get a Tonka truck was a good standout because it was actually about something. The rest just felt like filler. Not bad but really forgettable. I'm glad that they dialed back on the hormone monsters to make room for the others though, since it added more joke variety to the show.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

this is a pretty good argument, my argument would be that when Zaslav dies or feels the spectre of death he can also say he helped "make" art instead of a bunch of trash people only technically remember because its digital filler in media dumps. hit his ego and legacy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The first Futurama revival happened because it got such good numbers in reruns on Adult Swim.

Ditto for Family Guy, which they kind of thanked later on by making a joke with a fake bump that aired on Fox (which was then subsequently kinda ruined when it did rerun on AS)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
[AS] has definitely rescued a couple of very good shows out of the jaws of corporate dumbassery. Unfortunately the Time Warner merger and subsequent termination of Adult Swim Streams happened, which was at least somewhat interesting and interactive TV. I still miss watching Picco and Block Or Charge on Thursday nights, and Stupid Morning Bullshit + Fishcenter were great background talk TV to have on while cleaning or working.

But, of course, capitalism means we can't ever have anything good or nice because 10,000 people need every spare cent in their dragon hoard.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I never personally watched the streams much, but that one also felt stand-out petty and dumb. I remember some write up when it happened noting that obviously the streams weren't profitable, but they had built up a small, reliable community of fans who were more invested in Adult Swim now and they had a platform for a cost probably in the low million-ish that let them test out and build up new comedy personalities and concepts too.

But you can't spend fan loyalty or buzz and comedy talent just springs forth into the world fully formed and has their agent call the office. And they had a poorly performing merger to try and patch up so they could merge again, so time to start cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

mycomancy posted:

Unfortunately the Time Warner merger and subsequent termination of Adult Swim Streams happened, which was at least somewhat interesting and interactive TV.

the Wham City call-in soap opera, The Cry Of Mann, was such a formative experience for me. I revisit it once every few years