Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Google does this dumb poo poo with synonyms all the time. It’s gotten more aggressive over the years.

It believes that different chemical compounds are the same thing and that so are different dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
in the beginning, god created blast processing

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Tulip posted:

https://venturebeat.com/ai/the-ai-feedback-loop-researchers-warn-of-model-collapse-as-ai-trains-on-ai-generated-content/

lol that the AI tech has already hit the upper limit of its ability to remove humans from the equation and hasn't even hit any actual use cases first. I thought it would be less of a flash in the pan than NFTs but lol nope

Time for SA to shine!

"AI increasingly weird about stairs and distended assholes" - headline from the future

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mola Yam posted:

HE does what nintendon't

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
as the twitter thread about this showed, it also works for Neon Megadrive Evangelion

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I've just checked and it works for Phil Collins Megadrive, too

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mola Yam posted:

The King James Programming Tumblr is still maybe the best use of AI so far

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dr_rat posted:

But then what happens when there is a new, New York, and that New York than becomes Old New York, would the current New York than be Old Old New York?

I feel it would be far easier just to make the name York illegal.

no see at that point in the future cities with that many syllables will be illegal so the new new new york would be called simply Nyc (n-eye-k) and then you can have New Nyk City after the end of the second dark ages

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Don't even think about the city/town name "Riverside" - only four states escape having one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Amphigory posted:

Holy poo poo, it's like - all the steel that was made after we started dropping atomic bombs is hosed, so they need to find deep sea shipwrecks and stuff for uncontaminated steel, but for knowledge

They have played us for absolute fools

I think I read somewhere that newer steel is starting to show those radiation levels dropping so that’s cool

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MrUnderbridge posted:

Don't even think about the city/town name "Riverside" - only four states escape having one.

I assume the US has a lot of rivers and people like to live beside them

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Alucard posted:

As is very often the case, AI is just a mechanical turk hiding the hard work of people.

So you know this just means we're going to have even more complicated captchas right?

it means ai is going to destroy its material base by swamping human content with nonsense

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
eventually we're gonna get a panopticon AI that sends camera drones into every single home in the world to observe what actual humans act and look like, since it can't trust anything online

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TACD posted:

The King James Programming Tumblr is still maybe the best use of AI so far

i was always a fan of the Erowid Recruiter, trained on drug trip reports and recruitment emails

https://twitter.com/erowidrecruiter/status/560559080289222656
https://twitter.com/erowidrecruiter/status/1161282760193040386

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Don't post my job applications without consent thx

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Centrist Committee posted:

it means ai is going to destroy its material base by swamping human content with nonsense

Really these "AIs" that are making waves in the public consciousness are just lossy database queries. They don't generate new information in the same way that some of the more clever go and microchip algorithms do, they just state things from their database inconsistently and frequently incorrectly. The material base is the only really thing that's there, and the economic impact so far has been to spend money corrupting other people's data in a comical race to the bottom.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tulip posted:

Really these "AIs" that are making waves in the public consciousness are just lossy database queries. They don't generate new information in the same way that some of the more clever go and microchip algorithms do, they just state things from their database inconsistently and frequently incorrectly. The material base is the only really thing that's there, and the economic impact so far has been to spend money corrupting other people's data in a comical race to the bottom.

yup

what if we let a fuzzy logic rice cooker control the entire internet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yup

what if we let a fuzzy logic rice cooker control the entire internet

be aware of infrastructure attacks by wildlife

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

i was always a fan of the Erowid Recruiter, trained on drug trip reports and recruitment emails

https://twitter.com/erowidrecruiter/status/560559080289222656
https://twitter.com/erowidrecruiter/status/1161282760193040386

lmfao

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

lol do have a very low opinion of the original?

the production is absolutely trash-tier. horrible samples, missing instruments, bad levels, and most importantly, no vocal harmonies! then the excruciatingly boring reanimated-but-still-dead face is the icing on the cake

I was talking to my son about this video this afternoon and I had pretty much the same opinion other than that it sounded like John Lennon trying really hard to sound like David Bowie. I would have sounded better with a John Lennon impersonator singing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arivia posted:

be aware of infrastructure attacks by wildlife

well, who?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I think this is one of those "when I was going to St Ivies" trick word problems, so the answer is definitely going to be she woke herself up screaming after sleep eating the rice from the microwave.

While the cat just stood there, watching and judging. As they do.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dr_rat posted:

I think this is one of those "when I was going to St Ivies" trick word problems, so the answer is definitely going to be she woke herself up screaming after sleep eating the rice from the microwave.

While the cat just stood there, watching and judging. As they do.

I too had to teach myself to open the rice cooker. it's not as easy as it seems.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The cat's name is who

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My question is more on the "why did you start your rice cooker then take a nap?" level. Like I understand the principles of rice cooker operation and how that's not gonna hurt anything (but your cat, apparently), but why? Why?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FFT posted:

My question is more on the "why did you start your rice cooker then take a nap?" level. Like I understand the principles of rice cooker operation and how that's not gonna hurt anything (but your cat, apparently), but why? Why?

Some families pretty much just always have cooked rice in their rice cooker, so they could of finished the rice and automatically cooked more. As a lot of people like to have rice with every meal it's not really at all strange.

Just checked and apparently rice can stay warm in some rice cookers up to twelve hours, so why not. :shrug:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

FFT posted:

V Caucasian post

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
why are there rice cookers but not e.g. potato or spaghetti cookers

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

potato cookers may be something to look into but overcooked pasta is gross

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

Because everyone knows you eat potatos and spaghetti raw. You're not actually cooking them are you? Haha, hey everyone look at this idoit whos cooks their potatos and spaghetti!

(but yeah rice is the most eaten food in the world with 3.5 billion people having it as food staple, and heaps of people have it with every meal, and as it keeps fine in a rice cooker which a lot of foods don't, it just makes a lot of sense where big household rice cookers are just a thing. One of the next most eaten food, bread also has bread makers, to make the whole process easier as well.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
See also: the toaster.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There needs to be some kind of cybernetic cow womb for spawning steaks in your kitchen

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I love my zojirushi neuro fuzzy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah I definitely overpayed in order to import one to Switzerland but it's absolutely worth it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

There needs to be some kind of cybernetic cow womb for spawning steaks in your kitchen

And some people try and depict Cronenberg'esq future dystopias as a bad thing. :colbert:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

redleader posted:

they have these its a microwave

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, ovens are actually quite uncommon in houses in most of Asia?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

im sure not bothering to even cook is pretty common in asian cities

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Traditional western ovens in a lot of Asian countries can be pretty uncommon particularly outside cities, really depends on what sort of foods are usually cooked in a place. If you mostly just fry and steam foods ovens aren't really needed, and there's none western oven type things like tandoors which is an oven, just a different design, that different countries will use. But yeah it's hard to talk about cooking in "asia" as that just covers an incredibly large amount of cooking styles and habits.

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Traditional western ovens in a lot of Asian countries can be pretty uncommon particularly outside cities, really depends on what sort of foods are usually cooked in a place. If you mostly just fry and steam foods ovens aren't really needed, and there's none western oven type things like tandoors which is an oven, just a different design, that different countries will use. But yeah it's hard to talk about cooking in "asia" as that just covers an incredibly large amount of cooking styles and habits.

nonsense if they can make fun of my white food I can make fun of their Asian food