Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mailer posted:

Note that none of this matters and we all reset for season one in a few weeks, so do whatever floats your boat.

…I assumed you can just keep playing in non season though, same as D3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If FOMO number not go up why bother

(I too will be playing a main steadily and slowly when seasons hit)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

my ancestral pants have +1,000 hp on them, which is an absolutely shockingly large number for one piece of gear. Itemization has subtle traps where a stat won’t matter much early and then all of the sudden the game will be balanced around having a truckload of it once difficulty ramps at end game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Avalerion posted:

…I assumed you can just keep playing in non season though, same as D3?

I mean I could be totally wrong, but I'm assuming it's going to go the path of D3 where seasons contain all the gimmicks/changes. So you can keep grinding away, but you don't get The New poo poo(c) and those variations are what keep it fun.

Personally, and this is just my broke brain, I love the idea they currently have in D3 (and may/may not in D4) of doing all their nerf/buff cycles between the seasons. My S9 Wizard sucks now because they nerfed Wand of Woh? Oh well, who cares, I'll roll a DH because they're good this season and not a thing of value was lost. The seasonal curve will accelerate me back to the endgame and oh look I'm having fun again. Not fearing the hammer on every patch is a nice change of pace.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tried doing a tier 20 NM dungeon, got to the boss, got hit with the desync, forced to re-log in, no more dungeon.

Great loving game.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i hope they have a good gimmick, new mechanic, or items to introduce for season 1. i dont imagine they will have much but who knows, maybe they'll hint something tomorrow

not sure what class ill play

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

im curious what the chat is meant to be for because they've already made what were, as far as I could tell, unambiguous statements about what progress carries over into seasons. if anything I expect them to walk back some of the carry-over progress that they promised, but idk maybe I'll be wrong

Considering the question of what carries over gets asked every page and the only actual answer that was ever given was statues, everything else has just been speculation and implied from vague statements.
They have not anywhere unambiguously laid out how seasons work in diablo 4 and what carries over. Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I wouldnt be surprised if they delay S1 too. I just wouldn’t hold the devs to anything they said about it pre-launch, now that the team has player data and is triaging millions of hours of player feedback.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mr Beens posted:

Considering the question of what carries over gets asked every page and the only actual answer that was ever given was statues, everything else has just been speculation and implied from vague statements.
They have not anywhere unambiguously laid out how seasons work in diablo 4 and what carries over. Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow

oh yeah you're right, I thought they'd said more but I guess I'm misremembering.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Accidentally overwrote by build defining affix and cut my dps in half haha. Oh well

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Little Demon posted:

Sure, let’s waste our time changing 120 dungeons because of PoETarded brains. Great idea!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TLD you dingus! you should have said you hung out with POE players in order to use that slur, like that guy who said they were friends with aussies did to get away with using the c-slur earlier in the thread

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
C word only allowed in UK centric threads

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mekchu posted:

TLD you dingus! you should have said you hung out with POE players in order to use that slur, like that guy who said they were friends with aussies did to get away with using the c-slur earlier in the thread

Skill issue.

Edit: also not a guy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

orphean posted:

If their 'campfire chat' is anything more than answering staged softball questions and spinning everything they're doing as Logical and Right For The Game I will seriously be utterly shocked.

There will be a lot of that, but it’s also supposed to have info about season 1.

https://twitter.com/RodFergusson/status/1668870279127519232?s=20

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

thats not candy posted:

i hope they have a good gimmick, new mechanic, or items to introduce for season 1. i dont imagine they will have much but who knows, maybe they'll hint something tomorrow

not sure what class ill play

it's going to be the season of zombies as was repeated numerous times during their last stream

just an unending stream of those exploding bloated corpses that don't drop their loot until after you've moved on and they finally pop

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CharlestonJew posted:

I unlocked WT4 last night at level 64 and now everything is 9 levels above me at minimum and fights are actually hard again. Any recommendations on what I should do next to progress? I tried the lowest level Ancestral NM dungeon I could make and it whooped my rear end lol

Just go gently caress around in the over-world until you get an ancestral weapon to drop. Even a blue will probably out-damage your current weapon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've hit a bit of a wall with my 65-ish necro and I think I'm just over the play style for right now.

What's a good class with fun combat that's good at higher lvls? I've been eyeballing barb, although druid also intrigues me. What I played of it felt really plodding though, although I'm only up through ~20 on it.

Self quoting because I'm still looking for this.

Ideally something with active combat but that doesn't require me to play my keyboard like it's a jazz piano. Necro has just started feeling pretty ploddy to me (which is also a concern I've had about the druid) so I'm kind of prioritizing a gotta go fast mentality right now. Just trying to shake things up.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ideally something with active combat but that doesn't require me to play my keyboard like it's a jazz piano. Necro has just started feeling pretty ploddy to me (which is also a concern I've had about the druid) so I'm kind of prioritizing a gotta go fast mentality right now. Just trying to shake things up.

melee rogue

leapquake (more active) or frenzy barb (less active, but fast)

I think sorc has some fast teleport setup dunno

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I didn't 100% the snow biome. I did a handful of dungeons, some side quests, a couple forts and the main quests.

Well if you're playing 30 minutes a day only on weekends yeah I can see why you'd be a little ways away from endgame.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
placing my bet on no progress is carried over to the new season.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pulverize Druid is a lot of fun but takes a while to come online. The build didn't really click until around level 40, and there was a huge jump in power when I (loving finally) got the shockwave aspect at level 58-59.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Blizzard has decided ALL progression carries over to season 1. And then players will Benjamin Button back to level 1, fighting gradually harder monsters with declining stats.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

placing my bet on no progress is carried over to the new season.

I've been talking to non-ARPG friends (who have gotten very into D4) about this topic. My broken ARPG brain is fully prepared to do everything over again each season. Meanwhile, they're all saying they will never play seasonal if it means having to re-do renown, altars, etc.

Cynically, I think their goal as a live service game is to get you logged in as many hours as possible each season to get you to buy stuff. Carrying over progress works against that goal. I just wonder how many casual people they might lose altogether if nothing is carried over.

I also wondered if they could have some option to have ladder/non ladder seasonal characters. Let people reuse seasonal characters or some form of progress (renown, altars) if they want, but have separate ladder characters who start from scratch and can be part of leaderboards and whatnot. I don't know if they want to splinter the player base like that though.

This huge open world design and all this side content does feel at odds with the classic ARPG season start from scratch formula. Maybe they have something creative up their sleeve.

they don't

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've had a great campaign and a good casual leveling of alts while I settle in to gradually polishing off 100% completion with a little bit a day. Good fun ARPG itch scratching. Push NMs and see how far I can go on stupid builds.

The idea of a seasonal reset is good but tacking on extra chores like doing renown again is stupid. Seasons are going to need to offer something a lot less retention metrics based.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kind of the whole point of having seasons is resetting the power curve so you can enjoy building up a character again. Letting you bring your P100 Barb of Ownage along doesn't make any sense for the purposes of ladder resets.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ehud posted:

Cynically, I think their goal as a live service game is to get you logged in as many hours as possible each season to get you to buy stuff. Carrying over progress works against that goal. I just wonder how many casual people they might lose altogether if nothing is carried over.

they don't

Their goal is hopefully getting people to try each new season over having them be logged in 90 hours a week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Destiny carries everything over season to season (since they’re more narrative/story focused with whatever new seasonal activities and content they also add) and have straight up moved away from raising power / grinding for better light gear.

I think there’s some middle ground to be had between D3’s rebirth / new start in adventure mode and nothing resetting and just doing more new story poo poo.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Being able to start a season with your standard character isn't going to happen, but I'd be shocked if they don't allow renown to carry over. Or some ideas I've seen are to give renown for each world event, helltide chest, NM dungeon etc run so that you're not forced to do side quests or altars over and over. Alternatively this might be one of those things they were planning to bake into the battle pass.

Not wanting to redo the renown grind is one of those things I've seen most players actually agree about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also brings to question how would resetting / redoing renown would work with Skill / Paragon points since there’s what, 10 skill points and 20 Paragon points tied to it? Would each season just give us 20 addition paragon points and we can slowly inflate / fill the whole thing as the years go by?

New paragon boards would be cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The t3 seasons were usually pretty good. I am not too worried.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

exquisite tea posted:

Kind of the whole point of having seasons is resetting the power curve so you can enjoy building up a character again. Letting you bring your P100 Barb of Ownage along doesn't make any sense for the purposes of ladder resets.

yeah, it's just that there is SO much side stuff in this game and directly contributes to the power curve and is the side stuff fun enough that people want to do it again?

I think so, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm just a hardcore diablo fan.

euphronius posted:

Their goal is hopefully getting people to try each new season over having them be logged in 90 hours a week.

I think there is some middle ground where maybe renown and altars carry over season to season, and that gives you a nice power boost early on and makes that leveling process feel even better, but you're still starting at 1 with no gear so you get the feeling of a fresh start.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think Blizzard would be insane to force everyone to redo renown each season because it's the first system (other than stashing cool finds) that directly makes successive characters start from a better start instead of zero.

Continuous meta progression is a nice little draw, and would slot nicely into adding more bonuses over time via new land expansions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think most people are in agreement that they want altars and renown rewards to carry over from season to season, with everything else on a fresh start. Maybe there can be an option for the super hardcore to disable altar bonuses if they care about preserving the integrity of the early game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

I've been talking to non-ARPG friends (who have gotten very into D4) about this topic. My broken ARPG brain is fully prepared to do everything over again each season. Meanwhile, they're all saying they will never play seasonal if it means having to re-do renown, altars, etc.

I also wondered if they could have some option to have ladder/non ladder seasonal characters. Let people reuse seasonal characters or some form of progress (renown, altars) if they want, but have separate ladder characters who start from scratch and can be part of leaderboards and whatnot. I don't know if they want to splinter the player base like that though.

This huge open world design and all this side content does feel at odds with the classic ARPG season start from scratch formula. Maybe they have something creative up their sleeve.

they don't

yeah there's so much incentive to maximize seasonal time invested because there's a fairly direct relation to time played and total in-game transactions. I feel that discrepancy, too, between expecting it to get the standard full reset treatment because golly that's what arpgs all do for some reason, but also that is a lot of grindy almost busy work for a game that clearly wants to be more friendly to, you know, people playing for fun.

I am curious what they'll do. Letting some progress carry over would be a huge crowd pleaser, but also that's just leaving money on the table. The compromise is probably to lower barriers to alts/rerolls but fully reset the account meta-progression.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Preserving the integrity of the early game might as well include doing the campaign again. D3's seasons would have crashed and burned if we were required to replay the campaign every time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Did they nerf the whispers boxes? Last week every time I got one there were three choices, and one of them was highlighted orange, which I basically took to mean "has better quality poo poo even if it isn't necessarily the part you're looking for." Did a bunch last night and that seems to be gone.

or is this just RNGesus.txt?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 15, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Star Man posted:

Preserving the integrity of the early game might as well include doing the campaign again. D3's seasons would have crashed and burned if we were required to replay the campaign every time.

This being Diablo 4 I'm expecting Blizzard to nearly replicate D3 seasons, but in an unnecessarily complicated and slightly worse way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did they nerf the whispers boxes? Last week every time I got one there were three choices, and one of them was highlighted orange, which I basically took to mean "has better quality poo poo even if it isn't necessarily the part you're looking for." Did a bunch last night and that seems to be gone.

The latter. Sometimes you get an orange one sometimes you don't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope. Just RNGesus.

Getting a gold box from whispers isn't guaranteed. It seems to be about a 25-33% chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so far my one gripe is that I've been doing Tier 2 for 95% of the story but usually need to drop it down to Tier 1 for Big Bosses. I don't really need to do it if I play Necromancer but with Druid it's rougher earlygame.

Feels like I really need some Spirit-maxing gear because I want to be a shredwolf and zip around the field but I run out of steam quick.