Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm hitting one of those walls again where nothing works despite having all 3 of the top meta decks.. slipped from 89 to 84. Just keep getting edged out by a point or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

If card abilities trigger before locations why did Aunt May's scoot Galactus away?
Galactus couldn't blow up the other locations. If Galactus gets his effect off, he still gets the +3 from Aunt May's but has nowhere to scoot to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Galactus couldn't blow up the other locations. If Galactus gets his effect off, he still gets the +3 from Aunt May's but has nowhere to scoot to.

Galactus gets off by going to Aunt May's house? Wow, no wonder she's the Golden Oldie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

New Leaf posted:

I'm hitting one of those walls again where nothing works despite having all 3 of the top meta decks.. slipped from 89 to 84. Just keep getting edged out by a point or two.

I went from 30 to 95 within, like, a day of this season starting. Now I’m at 67. I can’t seem to win at all. Any deck I play, my opponent always has exactly the cards they need to shut me down entirely. I just don’t play anymore except to do quests, because it’s legit not fun anymore.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Lobok posted:

Galactus gets off by going to Aunt May's house? Wow, no wonder she's the Golden Oldie.

Marisa Tomei keeps it tight.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Phylodox posted:

I went from 30 to 95 within, like, a day of this season starting. Now I’m at 67. I can’t seem to win at all. Any deck I play, my opponent always has exactly the cards they need to shut me down entirely. I just don’t play anymore except to do quests, because it’s legit not fun anymore.

Sera Control.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If iron lad taps Valkyrie does he set himself to 3?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Get hosed, Galactus.

No, I don't care if it was a bot, the victory was cathartic.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: Let's try that Lockjaw deck

Snap: Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae.

Anyway, is there any new upcoming card that might be worth getting? I just hit 6k tokens again, and I'm only missing the following cards:
- Living Tribunal
- Stegron
- Snowguard
- Silk
- Howard the Duck
- Hit Monkey
- Ghost Spider (can't be bought)

So if there's nothing that good on the horizon I might jump on Hit Monkey since I like Sera decks.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 15, 2023

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Psyker posted:

Sera Control.

Yeah, that’s how I got to 95 so quickly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Posting a general warning - Silk is bugged and can be purchased multiple times from the shop. It's not an easy mistake to make, but just in case anyone is a little forgetful.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Artelier posted:

Me: Let's try that Lockjaw deck

Snap: Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae. Subterranae.

Anyway, is there any new upcoming card that might be worth getting? I just hit 6k tokens again, and I'm only missing the following cards:
- Living Tribunal
- Stegron
- Snowguard
- Silk
- Howard the Duck
- Hit Monkey
- Ghost Spider (can't be bought)

So if there's nothing that good on the horizon I might jump on Hit Monkey since I like Sera decks.

Since you don't have Silk or Ghost Spider you probably don't want next week's Spider Man 2099 (destroys a card at a location the first time it moves to that location), but Spider Ham is going to be generally good (turns highest card in your opponent's deck into a powerless pig with same energy/power, like a one-card Leech) and releasing at 3000 tokens. Then it'll be Phoenix Force Season Pass week, and most of July seems interesting but not necessarily deck defining and who knows if they'll change before launch or not from their datamined versions.

TL;DR I'd just get Hit Monkey right now if you like Sera.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Nikumatic posted:

Since you don't have Silk or Ghost Spider you probably don't want next week's Spider Man 2099 (destroys a card at a location the first time it moves to that location), but Spider Ham is going to be generally good (turns highest card in your opponent's deck into a powerless pig with same energy/power, like a one-card Leech) and releasing at 3000 tokens. Then it'll be Phoenix Force Season Pass week, and most of July seems interesting but not necessarily deck defining and who knows if they'll change before launch or not from their datamined versions.

TL;DR I'd just get Hit Monkey right now if you like Sera.

I think Spider Ham will be disgusting.

In that all your opponents will play it, and you will hate his guts.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Spider Ham can be destroyed by Killmonger so my bloodlust will be sated

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uXs posted:

I think Spider Ham will be disgusting.

In that all your opponents will play it, and you will hate his guts.

People are going to hate Spider-Ham because he goes against so much that games are about. You have cards and they do things and that's fun.

I expect we'll see a rise of The Infinaut in decks when he first comes out.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Spider-Pig releases me from the clutches of Agatha, leaving me a 14-point T6 play as he goes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All you have to do is play Spider-Ham, then Viper him, then play Wave, and hope your opponent uses the opportunity to play Odin, and voila! You can ham your own Infinaut.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Lobok posted:

All you have to do is play Spider-Ham, then Viper him, then play Wave, and hope your opponent uses the opportunity to play Odin, and voila! You can ham your own Infinaut.

Bynx had a stream where he tried to do this with ramping Leech into viper. It was funny but painful. I'm not sure he got the combo off a single time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lobok posted:

It's hard enough to make a Hela deck work, goddamn

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
People definitely seem to have caught onto the T1 snap back in Proving Grounds

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Lost my first conquest match to a bot. Feels good.

Also my first time trying Galactus. Probably deserve it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ok

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Octopus: Whoopsie-daisy!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Push El Burrito posted:

Lost my first conquest match to a bot. Feels good.

Also my first time trying Galactus. Probably deserve it.
Galactus is a very bad deck for Conquest

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Finally a use for Living Tribunal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not whale or a metagame monster but it seems like the ideal deck for conquest is something like answers.dec. Cosmo, Rogue, , Shang Chi, Enchantress, etc with a basic gameplan to compliment that isn't too rube goldberg.

Galactus is a deck that just asks one telegraphed question.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah those tech cards can ruin your day in Conquest. I ran into that with one opponent and ended up conceding early

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I knew the first game was against a bot so I figured I would finally try him against something that wouldn't just play anti-Galactus. Didn't work so I swapped to Evo Lockjaw and met a guy who managed to use Iron Lad to get Shang Chi's power the turn that Jubilee pulled Hulk for me. Conquest loving sucks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Conquest would be a lot better if they switched it something more like a draft model. It would help make decks more random to start with AND play against various opponents in each tier. Or something. I haven’t thought about it past that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Give people a sideboard or some mechanic to use more than one deck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Owlbear Camus posted:

the ideal deck for conquest is something like answers.dec. Cosmo, Rogue, , Shang Chi, Enchantress, etc

This is what my wife calls a “foo deck” because it’s for when you just wanna say “eff you”.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
A draft would be a completely different mode imo
I also don’t like the sideboard idea. Just bring decks without super polarizing matchups. If your deck auto loses to a common archetype you might not want to try to climb the conquest ladder with it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Oh gently caress off game! Get in a mirror-deck battle, we're both dropping Kitty on Wakanda buffing an Anglea, Sakaar hits.. They pull Polaris that pulls my Kitty into the open, mine pulls loving Killmonger. Of all things. I don't even care about infinite! I just want 90! I'm so close...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Very very. Galactus is a sucker-punch; if your opponent sees it coming, you're already toast. Great for ladder, awful when you've got to play the same deck against the same person multiple times.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Devo posted:

A draft would be a completely different mode imo
I also don’t like the sideboard idea. Just bring decks without super polarizing matchups. If your deck auto loses to a common archetype you might not want to try to climb the conquest ladder with it.
I agree with you. I guess what I’m saying is this: they should have done draft mode instead 🙃

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Very very. Galactus is a sucker-punch; if your opponent sees it coming, you're already toast. Great for ladder, awful when you've got to play the same deck against the same person multiple times.

maybe true with the new version/how a lot of people play the deck, but that would not necessarily have been the case with the old version - I know of at least one fairly serious tournament won by a Galactus deck

you definitely need alternate lines of play, but once you have them Galactus' effect is so strong that you can (or could) gain significant advantage by exploiting your informational advantage about what a given game is going to be about

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

crestfallen posted:

I agree with you. I guess what I’m saying is this: they should have done draft mode instead 🙃

Oh I would play the poo poo out of that for sure. I saw Dekks and Dera playing some kind of alternating draft/ban format once in a video and it looked awesome

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Draft mode would be especially great for this game. Even cooler than it normally is.

If they allow draft mode to include any and all cards, including newly released ones (maybe after a short exclusivity period) how cool is that for newer players? Not only do they have the chance to play with cards they don’t own yet, but they could build CL, complete missions, get boosters, and other prizes too. IMO, it directly and indirectly helps with the series 3 grind. It builds interest. It keeps people playing. It provides variety. If they want more consistent decks or whatever, okay conquest or ranked.

Could it overwhelm newer players? Sure, probably. Drafting is a skill. I think the benefits would far outweigh the disadvantages.

Could 2nd Dinner do it wrong? Oh heck yeah. But the seeds of greatness are there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Put up a clear but vaultable velvet rope and make the drafts in 2-3 skill "blocks" by series with a warning you're jumping into the deep end if you do the Expert Draft Mode or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
The barrier for entry for a draft format is waaay more game knowledge than is required for conquest or ladder. I mean fine have it for the people who want it but people itt are already saying they're seeing way more bots on ladder so idk if splitting your playerbase into 3 different game modes when you don't have mtg's or hs' to start with is a good idea.

I've generally been finding conquest matches to be a slaughter or a slow slog without much room for swings, but i did get one really good match against a sera control deck. I was running SHIELD/moondinoshulk and the mind games i had to play to bait control cards and scrape by points were some 11D chess and we were clearly both having fun. Thanos ongoing has been good for having variety in a match but bad for actually winning. Tried running sera control myself but without hit monkey it seems pretty anemic.