Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

koolkal posted:

Not a lawyer but isn't it common to charge both murder and manslaughter under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_included_offense

IANAL but doesn’t an obvious not guilty on the most severe charge make it more likely for the jury to state not guilty on the lesser charges as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Willa Rogers posted:

What's interesting is that the partisan divide on the economy cuts both ways: Under Trump a majority of Democrats thought it was bad & the lines literally switched with each other once Biden took office.

I've long been of the opinion that, outside of extraordinary circumstances, the current administration has relatively little to do with the day to day economy. Policy takes awhile to take effect, and often does so in unexpected ways. Extraordinary circumstances for the economy would include, however, TARP and the various other measures undertaken to counteract the mortgage crisis and resulting recession, and CARES under Trump in response to COVID. There are plenty of indirect, nonpolicy ways the government affects the economy, but those often are behind the curtain or take years for their impact to be noticed/measurable.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Except it's often literally the opposite with a large swath of the population reporting that their own financial circumstances are stable/improving while expressing deep malaise about "the economy." That's a big part of the weirdness of the current situation.

If I recall correctly it was one out of every four people who said their own economic situations were poor or fair, which (even while lower than what they thought others were experiencing) is not all that wonderful in the scheme of things.

The scheme of things being stats like 1/3 of Americans foregoing prescribed medicine bc of its cost, or more than half of all Americans not having $500 cash to cover an emergency. There's also now near-record levels in credit-card debt, and that's after student-loan forbearance for three years.

It really depends where you're sitting for your views on the economy, but most of the stats are pretty disheartening.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've long been of the opinion that, outside of extraordinary circumstances, the current administration has relatively little to do with the day to day economy. Policy takes awhile to take effect, and often does so in unexpected ways. Extraordinary circumstances for the economy would include, however, TARP and the various other measures undertaken to counteract the mortgage crisis and resulting recession, and CARES under Trump in response to COVID. There are plenty of indirect, nonpolicy ways the government affects the economy, but those often are behind the curtain or take years for their impact to be noticed/measurable.

Maybe that's true for the current administration but the last one providing immediate no-questions-asked single-payer, cash grants, student-loan & eviction forbearance, and living unemployment compensation had a notable & measurable positive effect on the economy when it came to things like paid-down debt & cash savings.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

What's interesting is that the partisan divide on the economy cuts both ways: Under Trump a majority of Democrats thought it was bad & the lines literally switched with each other once Biden took office.

2020-2021 had a whole lot of confounding effects with the election-to-post-inauguration happening around when unemployment was sharply dropping, fresh aid was out all the same, and vaccines were becoming available so even in that winter covid wave there were reasons for optimism that weren't based on the team in the White House. A whole lot of material changes were happening.

But up until then by-party views of the economy tracked pretty well in parallel through the Trump administration. To find the really interesting point of divergence it's more telling to look at 2016/2017 when nothing dramatic was changing in the economy: Democratic views stayed relatively flat while Republicans went from "the economy's in the toilet" to "everything's great!" overnight.

So yeah, who likes the economy changes a lot based on who's in charge but it's almost entirely because of wild careening by conservatives.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Willa Rogers posted:

Maybe that's true for the current administration but the last one providing immediate no-questions-asked single-payer, cash grants, student-loan & eviction forbearance, and living unemployment compensation had a notable & measurable positive effect on the economy when it came to things like paid-down debt & cash savings.

Is this the CARES act, or other Trump-era policies?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:same: Seemed to be a boomer thing that victims were expected to accept their part and take the abuse, not fight back and disturb the natural order of things.

Lol, even better; Their genius tactic in the event that someone starts throwing hands at you? Walk away.
Yep. Someone gets worked up enough for whatever reason to start trying to fight you, you just turn and walk away. Obviously, they'll drop aggro as soon as you turn your back to them and then there will be no more problem :downs:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

the_steve posted:

Lol, even better; Their genius tactic in the event that someone starts throwing hands at you? Walk away.
Yep. Someone gets worked up enough for whatever reason to start trying to fight you, you just turn and walk away. Obviously, they'll drop aggro as soon as you turn your back to them and then there will be no more problem :downs:

Don't forget zero tolerance! Let's expel the kid getting picked on, since he's clearly a troublemaker as well, being a target and all.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The only actual fight I saw in high school was two dudes beefing over Xbox live invite poo poo. The actual bullying was just subtle harassment and needling.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
With regards to the wider conversation:

I was really lucky I guess then that every single time I had to defend myself from bullies up until I moved to the district's alternative high school after my freshman year and stopped getting bullied at all, I got attaboys from everyone including my parents.

My alternative education high school was a magnet for kids who didn't fit in so we had a lot of LBGTQ kids who were openly out, especially for circa 2002-2005. I would say somewhere around 5% of the student body was out (so maybe around 20 students out of 400 or so) and I don't feel like they got singled out for their sexuality. We were really low violence altogether though, especially for Flint in the early 2000s and had a pretty chill environment as far as peer bullying went. I think the fact that we were all misfits for whatever reason in our normal school contributed, as well as our objectively left wing teachers and administration who actively cultivated an inclusive environment. The biggest friction I can think of is when the dual enrollment program I was piloting needed someone to volunteer to share a room with one of my gay classmates on a summer trip where we all went up north for a few days to team build and have fun and stuff. I volunteered to share a room and it went fine but there was an undercurrent driven by conventional mores at that time that you were somehow secretly gay too if you shared sleeping quarter with a gay person. I think my classmates from 20 years ago in Michigan are objectively more progressive than my peers today in Kansas. Those experiences really shaped my viewpoints on things and I kinda wish more kids had the kind of high school education I did.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

the_steve posted:

Seems like a valuable lesson if you ever take the subway.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

the_steve posted:

"Well you must have done something to provoke him, people don't just decide to start a fight out of nowhere now let's talk about what you could have said/done to defuse the situation..."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Walking away is something that I’d do now as an adult.

But as a kid? lol and lmao.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Seems like a valuable lesson if you ever take the subway.

Oh hey you're back!

Did you want to follow up on your claims about transgender people and their allies you made?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
e: tbh don't want to handle this tonight nm

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/mychaelschnell/status/1668975975822942211?t=_yg8HrTHWlOyRC-y5FXk2g&s=19

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with this. That looks like a trial balloon and if I lived in that other time line where Reagan never happened I'd think that such a trial balloon might be a indication that at least some of the money people in behind the GOP are starting to remember what happened to the oligarchs who Putin decided he didn't need anymore.

However we live in this one so I suspect that he'll either come out extra Trumpy in a day or two or decide he needs to spend more time with his family rather than run for reelection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Walking away is something that I’d do now as an adult.

But as a kid? lol and lmao.

Yeah same. In high school I got picked on a lot like in full view of teachers/whatever and even hit and stuff but any time I would fight back or so much as curse at the person I would get detention. But also me doing those things is the only reason it stopped.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...urce=reddit.com

quote:

“Having read the indictment, these are very serious allegations,” Mr Pence told The Wall Street Journal’s Editorial Board on Tuesday.

“And I can’t defend what is alleged.”

Mr Pence later added that, as a member of a military family, he was concerned about the risks to the lives of American service members when secret information is not handled correctly.

Pence wants the Indiana GOP to wrest control of the national party from the unchristian trump/maga/qanon clowns.

As an Indiana resident, by no means do I want the Indiana GOP in charge of the White House - but yeah, kick trump in the teeth plz

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Skex posted:

https://twitter.com/mychaelschnell/status/1668975975822942211?t=_yg8HrTHWlOyRC-y5FXk2g&s=19

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with this. That looks like a trial balloon and if I lived in that other time line where Reagan never happened I'd think that such a trial balloon might be a indication that at least some of the money people in behind the GOP are starting to remember what happened to the oligarchs who Putin decided he didn't need anymore.

However we live in this one so I suspect that he'll either come out extra Trumpy in a day or two or decide he needs to spend more time with his family rather than run for reelection.

He's in a blue district and won by 2% last year, can't rule out that he thinks that kind of thing will help him get reelected.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
RE: Bully chat
I noticed a double standard a long time ago: If I antagonize someone, it's my fault when they get upset with me; but if someone antagonizes me, it's my fault for getting upset with them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Among the many hosed things with the American narrative on school shootings is that the shooters are very rarely victims of bullyings, but often the perpetrators, and it's easy to see how shootings are the logical conclusion of unchecked bullying.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

the_steve posted:

Gods, yeah, I hated that poo poo.
Back when I was in high school, the official policy straight up said that if you defended yourself from someone attacking you, then you were just as much on the hook as the attacker would be.

In most schools I was at or knew people at, this was the case even if you didn't defend yourself. I got attacked in the cafeteria at one point and just stood up and gave the guy a confused expression but didn't lift a finger as he punched my face. The lunch aides showed up and immediately threw me against a table and grappled me, even as the guy attacking me was trying to climb over the dude's shoulders to continue swinging. I got suspended for it, even though the entire school saw me do jack poo poo other than get punched a few times.

Meanwhile, my brother-in-law got suspended for having his nose broken after a guy sucker punched him in gym class. Again, he never threw any punches back or anything. Boomers loved that zero tolerance bullshit. I don't think the schools my kids go to do that anymore, thankfully.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The new way of bullying is to show your classmates your mom's onlyfans account.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lager posted:

In most schools I was at or knew people at, this was the case even if you didn't defend yourself. I got attacked in the cafeteria at one point and just stood up and gave the guy a confused expression but didn't lift a finger as he punched my face. The lunch aides showed up and immediately threw me against a table and grappled me, even as the guy attacking me was trying to climb over the dude's shoulders to continue swinging. I got suspended for it, even though the entire school saw me do jack poo poo other than get punched a few times.

Meanwhile, my brother-in-law got suspended for having his nose broken after a guy sucker punched him in gym class. Again, he never threw any punches back or anything. Boomers loved that zero tolerance bullshit. I don't think the schools my kids go to do that anymore, thankfully.

Simpler from a liability point of view, probably.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Simpler from a liability point of view, probably.

It's this, if you suspend one kid the parents will scream about "what did the other kid do, then???" so if you send both home you get to largely wash your hands of the incident.

And as a former teacher, it genuinely can be hard to identify low-key antagonisms going on. I had as many as 36 kids in a room at a time by myself, there is zero chance I could be aware of every single thing going on even if I'm just standing at the front of the room facing every single student. Lotta kids are skilled at engaging in consistent, annoying microaggressions to trigger a meltdown and when the meltdown happens the meltdowner? -ee? gets smacked.

...you know, this whole system sounds awfully familiar

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The theory that Taylor Swift secretly controls the government is looking more and more likely.

The U.S. government reached a settlement with Live Nation and Ticketmaster to require them to list all fees for tickets upfront as part of the total price and to modify their "official resale" stores to prevent the ticket situation that happened with Taylor Swift's last tour (where tickets had nearly 120% in fees added on once you hit the checkout process and Ticketmaster allowed people to reserve huge blocks of tickets that were allowed to then immediately be listed on the "official resale" site of Ticketmaster.

Weirdly, the CNN article doesn't mention Taylor Swift or that her complaints were what sparked the original investigation and calls for legislation. Which makes sense if you are trying to keep the power behind the throne out of the limelight and above suspicion...

Ticketmaster and Live Nation were allowed to do this for years unchallenged, but the full might of the federal government gets brought down upon them as soon as they cross Ms. Swift.

quote:

Biden to announce Live Nation and Ticketmaster will allow consumers to see all fees up front

President Joe Biden will announce Thursday that entertainment giant Live Nation (LYV) and ticketing behemoth Ticketmaster have pledged to give US consumers the ability to see the full price of tickets up front, minimizing the frequently frustrating experience of watching additional fees add up late in the checkout process when buying online.

“President Biden has been working to lower costs for hardworking families by bringing down inflation, capping insulin prices for seniors, and eliminating hidden junk fees,” said National Economic Council Director Lael Brainard in a written statement. “More companies are heeding the President’s call so that Americans know what they’re paying for up front and can save money as a result.”

Biden will convene a roundtable at the White House on Thursday with representatives from companies that either already provide all-in pricing upfront or have agreed to provide that option to customers in the coming months. These include Live Nation, SeatGeek, xBk, Airbnb, the Pablo Center at the Confluence, TickPick, DICE, and the Newport Festivals Foundation.

Some of the commitments that will be announced Thursday include Live Nation’s pledge that in September all tickets sold for its shows through Ticketmaster will show one “clear, total price,” according to the White House. Ticketmaster has also promised to add a feature to allow customers to see the full price upfront for all other tickets sold on its platform. Live Nation and Ticketmaster merged to form Live Nation Entertainment in 2010.

Additionally, SeatGeek and Iowa-based xBk have pledged to make it easier for people to shop on their platforms based on the full price of the tickets they sell.

“Today’s voluntary actions demonstrate that companies both big and small recognize the importance of providing consumers with honest, up-front all-in pricing, rather than tricking them with surprise fees at the end of checkout. It is also just a first step towards addressing junk fees in the economy,” a White House fact sheet states.

In February, Biden proposed legislation — the Junk Fee Protection Act — to target four types of excessive fees, including: excessive online concert, sporting event and entertainment ticket fees, airline fees for families sitting together on flights, exorbitant early termination fees for TV, phone and internet services, as well as surprise resort and destination fees.

Biden’s Transportation Department also took steps last fall during a meeting of the Competition Council to reduce “unnecessary hidden fees” from airline and travel sites that the president warned were “weighing down family budgets.”

The announcement comes amid increased pressure on the industry from debacles over exorbitant ticketing fees and as the president has urged Congress to pass legislation targeting other hidden costs paid by consumers throughout the economy. It marks Biden’s latest effort to address kitchen table issues as economic concerns remain top of mind for voters heading into the 2024 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/busi...m_medium=social

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 15, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The theory that Taylor Swift secretly controls the government is looking more and more likely.

The U.S. government reached a settlement with Live Nation and Ticketmaster to require them to list all fees for tickets upfront as part of the total price and to modify their "official resale" stores to prevent the ticket situation that happened with Taylor Swift's last tour (where tickets had nearly 120% in fees added on once you hit the checkout process and Ticketmaster allowed people to reserve huge blocks of tickets that were allowed to then immediately be listed on the "official resale" site of Ticketmaster.

Weirdly, the CNN article doesn't mention Taylor Swift or that her complaints were what sparked the original investigation and calls for legislation. Which makes sense if you are trying to keep the power behind the throne out of the limelight and above suspicion...

Ticketmaster and Live Nation were allowed to do this for years unchallenged, but the full might of the federal government gets brought down upon them as soon as they cross Ms. Swift.

Gaylor Swift is over, this is the summer of Regulator Swift.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
We've got cameras basically over all the public areas of my school now, and from what my admins tell me that has really changed the fight game in high school, at least the on-campus fight game. Where it used to be he-said-he-said and they had to worry about the attacker's parents claiming "no one knows, this isn't fair, waaaah" now they can just click "Play" and go, "oh look here's your blameless little angel shoving a kid to the floor and kicking him, you'll need to make alternative arrangements for his schooling for the next ten days, and if he causes any more trouble you'll have to make alternative arrangements for the next X years as he will be expelled from the district."

Of course, roughly 90% of the time now the kids loving videotape evidence themselves which makes it even easier.

When that "Devious Lick" poo poo was going on a few years? ago (tiktok thing where kids were uh supposed to destroy their school bathrooms, I guess?) my principal went on the PA in the morning and announced that anyone participating in this "challenge" was gonna hit da bricks for the rest of their school years. Well of course we had two boys who walked into a bathroom about 10 minutes after school started and broke a sink off a wall. Of course, there was video of them walking into the bathroom, and then video of the next person walking into the bathroom and then running up to the office to tell them there was water everywhere.

They hauled these two kids up and they began to master criminal it up, "You can't prove anything, this is a WITCH HUNT, how do you know it was us, etc."

This stopped pretty quick when the AP turned his phone around and showed them the video they just posted showing them mugging for the camera while smashing up the bathroom. "ARE YOU TAKING NOTES ON A CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY?!?!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I mean people have been calling for this well before Taylor Swift. Her tour is so large that it launched it back into the spotlight and before Congress yet again, but she's not the first.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BonoMan posted:

I mean people have been calling for this well before Taylor Swift. Her tour is so large that it launched it back into the spotlight and before Congress yet again, but she's not the first.

:thejoke:

People have been calling for it forever, but Taylor Swift demanded it be changed and it got changed in 6 months.

Because she secretly controls the government.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JonathonSpectre posted:

They hauled these two kids up and they began to master criminal it up, "You can't prove anything, this is a WITCH HUNT, how do you know it was us, etc."

This stopped pretty quick when the AP turned his phone around and showed them the video they just posted showing them mugging for the camera while smashing up the bathroom. "ARE YOU TAKING NOTES ON A CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY?!?!"

The tried the Trump defense, huh?

Speaking of that, can the feds get a warrant for the security camera footage of Mar A Lago?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that, can the feds get a warrant for the security camera footage of Mar A Lago?

Hey look mar a Lago is hiring a pool boy with server room experience again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel schools could have done a lot more about bullying if they actually wanted to, but technology definitely proves one of my personal adages; if you want people to do something, make it as easy as possible for them to do.

Also it's a saving grace that bullies are stupid and have no impulse control.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

They already have it according to the indictment.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

This should apply to all goods and services. Why is this limited only to these two companies?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Taylor Swift fans are crazy as gently caress, I wouldn't want to mess with them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Going from an absolutely miserable childhood of fairly horrible peer abuse to college, where nobody cared to moderate, to being employed was jarring.

Every company I have worked for has had a mandatory "this will not be tolerated" video you have to watch every single year, that clearly spells out what you'll lose if you're a piece of poo poo, and who to go to for protection if someone is being a piece of poo poo, and that's like, sure it's great, but it just reminded me how hosed it is that children aren't afforded the same protection as adults, who ostensibly are more able to protect themselves.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SwiftOnSecurity more like SwiftOnNationalSecurity

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Going from an absolutely miserable childhood of fairly horrible peer abuse to college, where nobody cared to moderate, to being employed was jarring.

Every company I have worked for has had a mandatory "this will not be tolerated" video you have to watch every single year, that clearly spells out what you'll lose if you're a piece of poo poo, and who to go to for protection if someone is being a piece of poo poo, and that's like, sure it's great, but it just reminded me how hosed it is that children aren't afforded the same protection as adults, who ostensibly are more able to protect themselves.

Children have no legal rights and do not participate in economic production. There’s no profit motive in protecting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Among the many hosed things with the American narrative on school shootings is that the shooters are very rarely victims of bullyings, but often the perpetrators, and it's easy to see how shootings are the logical conclusion of unchecked bullying.

Do you have some sources on this? I'm interested bc the narrative is so prevalent, and thus a lot of the high-profile school shooters appear to have histories of being bullied.