Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Have you completely lost it? You would be better off eliminating elected judges (If anything it should be as far as possible form politics, a bipartisan committee or just random selection from qualified lawyers is probably the best this country can manage to avoid attempts at corrupting the impartiality of it) and eliminating the permanent professional or worse ELECTED prosecutor before trying that. A bar pooling system would do a LOT to cut down on structural bias in favor of the prosecution or at least make it so the cops cant corruptly collude with just the one guy to stitch up cases.

I don't trust a good 40% of states not to turn professional jurors into the KKKangaro court.

I didn't say that's the limit of what would like, I just said it's one thing that might be helpful to most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't say that's the limit of what would like, I just said it's one thing that might be helpful to most.

How?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

But while they're waiting to do a search, the documents could get moved or disappeared in the meantime, seems pretty risky. They could (and should) have searched Bedminster immediately and then worked on separate indictment, no?

They might want to raid Bedminster for a separate investigation, which means they would need to establish probable cause to get a warrant for that investigation. That way they could pick up all the Jan 6 crime notebooks to go with the stolen files.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Because a lot of jury strategy involves getting the most clueless and gullible people you can in order to make swaying them your way easier, especially in criminal trials. Most people don't know the law, even when instructed by the judge.

I don't think it's a perfect idea, as I've said, because I do enjoy swaying juries myself when I'm on them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

It's worth noting that most countries don't have jury trials in any significant quantity. If it's not decided by a single judge it's a panel of them: some use lay judges who are not trained as judges/lawyers but are selected as capable professionals rather than the literal most uninformed people you can find in a random name search we use in the US.

I don't have a strong opinion on changing the nature of trial by jury in the United States, I'm just saying it's not as weirdly out there as it sounds.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What are the odds of Donald being found unfit to stand trial due to advanced senility?

Low % a court finding him unfit. Zero % of Donald dropping his ego to even consider it. Seeing that his father had the same cognitive issues it’s probably even more of a no go.

If he were smart this is the groundwork he should be laying, but, you know.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Because a lot of jury strategy involves getting the most clueless and gullible people you can in order to make swaying them your way easier, especially in criminal trials. Most people don't know the law, even when instructed by the judge.

I don't think it's a perfect idea, as I've said, because I do enjoy swaying juries myself when I'm on them.

Killer robot posted:

It's worth noting that most countries don't have jury trials in any significant quantity. If it's not decided by a single judge it's a panel of them: some use lay judges who are not trained as judges/lawyers but are selected as capable professionals rather than the literal most uninformed people you can find in a random name search we use in the US.

I don't have a strong opinion on changing the nature of trial by jury in the United States, I'm just saying it's not as weirdly out there as it sounds.

Right to a jury trial is part of the Sixth Amendment in the US. I don't think we're going to see any changes there in the foreseeable future.

Automatic Slim posted:

Low % a court finding him unfit. Zero % of Donald dropping his ego to even consider it. Seeing that his father had the same cognitive issues it’s probably even more of a no go.

If he were smart this is the groundwork he should be laying, but, you know.

It would be very difficult to argue that he's unfit for trial, but is fit to be President again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Killer robot posted:

The vast vast majority of cases in the U.S. don't have verdicts rendered by juries either. They are fairly rare.

Bench trials are the most common for petty crimes and even when they do get a jury trial, the most common disposition is a plea before the jury can even render a verdict.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Right to a jury trial is part of the Sixth Amendment in the US. I don't think we're going to see any changes there in the foreseeable future.

It would be very difficult to argue that he's unfit for trial, but is fit to be President again.

Oh, I'm not disputing that they're unlikely to go away. I just mean that they're not a necessary part of a functioning justice system and further that "what if juries were selected from a pool of skilled and trusted people instead of randos" is not a new idea or one any more associated with abuse than the one we have.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

So specifically the problem is having a designated [place] prosecutor, rather than that there are lawyers who specialize in prosecutions? Or both?

Both really, but the structure of the US means inevitably that [Place] prosecutor is going to be at least a state level issue (though breaking up the structure that currently goes down to the courthouse level would help). The prosecution only criminal lawyer creates an ultimately myopic point of view and the whole structure pressures the prosecutors office into "Tough on Crime" at the expense of actual justice, both causing them to pursue weak cases around notorious crimes and giving them perverse incentives and deep relationships to bodies that should be nominally independent. Its the failure mode of any bureaucracy, the police-prosecutor relationship as it stand best serves the prestige of those in direct control of it by working to maximize convictions. Disrupting one or the other would certainly help, but both are structural issues. Localities is only really a problem due to scale, its way harder to hide corruption in a pool of a dozen people that an office that has one person tightly controlling it.

Killer robot posted:

Oh, I'm not disputing that they're unlikely to go away. I just mean that they're not a necessary part of a functioning justice system and further that "what if juries were selected from a pool of skilled and trusted people instead of randos" is not a new idea or one any more associated with abuse than the one we have.

I mean, maybe for cases directly related to some question of professional ethics/practice? Certainly I would actually be inclined to agree in, for example, malpractice cases; where jury trials are avoided like the plague because the juries are too easy to sway on the plaintiff story regardless of any actual guilt. But I don't think it would ever be a great idea in criminal law, not when actual jail time is on the line.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So now that the guy's been arraigned, what is the next step of this whole...thing? What happens next trials-wise, and when?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Shooting Blanks posted:

Same as the Killer robot, I have no belief it's ever going to happen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BrianWilly posted:

So now that the guy's been arraigned, what is the next step of this whole...thing? What happens next trials-wise, and when?

They will have a bunch of pretrial motions to try to bring in or exclude evidence. I imagine that they will have a scheduling conference at some point to set up deadlines for discovery. I would honestly be surprised if the trial is this year.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nuclear Spoon posted:

fond memories of the shkreli trial

The way Trump gets out of this is to disrespect Wu-Tang, then it absolutely precludes any ability for him to get a fair trial

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

The way Trump gets out of this is to disrespect Wu-Tang, then it absolutely precludes any ability for him to get a fair trial

I would indeed agree that they are not anything to gently caress with.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think that's a reasonable consensus

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Xand_Man posted:

I think that's a reasonable consensus

We're prepared to stipulate.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

happyhippy posted:

As a reminder, a few days ago Trump totally ignored her when he got of a plane and she was on the tarmac.

She just doesn't have any... pride. :smuggo:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ms Adequate posted:

Of all the secrets that he could reveal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

Of all the secrets that he could reveal

speaking of what ever happened to that album shkreli bought

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

speaking of what ever happened to that album shkreli bought

I thought the government seized it and we would all own it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Snowy posted:

I thought the government seized it and we would all own it

The government seized it, but they sold it back in 2021.

They basically seized everything he had of value, sold it, and then used that money to pay towards the restitution he owed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The party of Personal Responsibility....until one of them is held personally responsible

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

BrianWilly posted:

conservatives feel more compelled to support him and further radicalize, jury selection is an absolute trip and a half, we grind through the sometimes fascinating and generally rigorous procedure of law, more and more information comes out about what evidence and testimony the DoJ has collected on trump, we spend time with televised(?) trials where it is clearly obvious that trump broke the law with comical regularity and brazenness, he is either convicted or it's a hung jury because the defense helped a diehard chud sneak into the jury (in which case we repeat). elections happen and throw a novelty size monkey wrench into the whole things. i begin testing out politics drunkposting as a compensation mechanism for the insanity of it all.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ms Adequate posted:

Can you explain this to a dumm goon porpoise like me? Does T need to like the album to respect it? IE wtf are you talking about? What legal thing must T 'disrespect' to get out of this and how does that make the trial unfair?

ps I'll have a chance to read in a few days, but otherwise this reference is too obscure to interpret.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Can you explain this to a dumm goon porpoise like me? Does T need to like the album to respect it? IE wtf are you talking about? What legal thing must T 'disrespect' to get out of this and how does that make the trial unfair?

ps I'll have a chance to read in a few days, but otherwise this reference is too obscure to interpret.

It's a reference to the Shkreli trial

https://www.spin.com/2017/08/martin-shkreli-jury-selection-transcript-wu-tang-clan/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The government seized it, but they sold it back in 2021.

They basically seized everything he had of value, sold it, and then used that money to pay towards the restitution he owed.

National Treasure 3 is going to be about Nicolas Cage tracking down this album.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 15, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kavros posted:

conservatives feel more compelled to support him and further radicalize, jury selection is an absolute trip and a half, we grind through the sometimes fascinating and generally rigorous procedure of law, more and more information comes out about what evidence and testimony the DoJ has collected on trump, we spend time with televised(?) trials where it is clearly obvious that trump broke the law with comical regularity and brazenness, he is either convicted or it's a hung jury because the defense helped a diehard chud sneak into the jury (in which case we repeat). elections happen and throw a novelty size monkey wrench into the whole things. i begin testing out politics drunkposting as a compensation mechanism for the insanity of it all.
Much like how all of Trump's nonsense in the 2020 election taught people about the electoral college process in agonizing detail, I feel everyone in the US is going to become very familiar with federal trial procedures as all this drags out.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

National Treasure 3 is going to be about Nicolas Cage tracking down this.

I can just hear him saying "Wu-Tang Secret" in my mind right now.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

This is something I've never understood. Why is it that both sides always try to get stupid jurors? Shouldn't they realize that a dumb person would be just as easy for the opposing attorney to sway against them?

In a case like this, where the law is 100% clear that Trump is guilty as gently caress, shouldn't the prosecution push for some smart, legally educated people on the jury who can just run down the list of charges and go, "Yup, that looks right"?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Both sides get a say in whether or not a potential juror should be excluded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lord Harbor posted:

This is something I've never understood. Why is it that both sides always try to get stupid jurors? Shouldn't they realize that a dumb person would be just as easy for the opposing attorney to sway against them?

In a case like this, where the law is 100% clear that Trump is guilty as gently caress, shouldn't the prosecution push for some smart, legally educated people on the jury who can just run down the list of charges and go, "Yup, that looks right"?

Because there isn't a way to test for intelligence or specific biases. So, during voir dire each attorney just tries to pick the people they think would be the most blank slate.

They aren't necessarily looking for stupid people, they are looking for people with no knowledge/bias/life experience on the subject at hand because that makes them more likely to shape their opinion based on the facts of the case and the arguments made during the trial. If someone is an expert on something, they may have existing biases about it that they will be unlikely to change regardless of evidence.

That's why saying you are an expert at something related to the case, have been a victim of the same crime, have a bias of some kind, or you believe in things like jury nullification (which indicate that you won't change your mind regardless of the facts of the case or specific arguments) are the fastest ways to get kicked out of a jury pool.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I bet'cha the judge will grant all of the Defense's challenges for cause and almost none of the Prosecution's

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I didn't have a chance to file my taxes

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Probably not a winning strategy to hinge your defense on something disproved by the evidence already laid out in the indictment.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord Harbor posted:

People who are qualified to make their own judgments on the legal issues involved are impossible for lawyers to sway, and lawyers on both sides hate this equally because they want their arguments to be the driving force behind the verdict and not the unknowable opinions in a juror's mind. Thus, jurors who can be lead are preferred overall.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cr0y posted:

I didn't have a chance to file my taxes

I didn't have a chance to not steal the car.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"But think of all the people I DIDN'T kill!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Angry_Ed posted:

I can just hear him saying "Wu-Tang Secret" in my mind right now.

"If we can't track it down in three days, they're going to reveal the Wu-Tang Secret!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This isn't exactly related specifically to the Trump trial but I'm sure it will be. So if lots of evidence gets shared in the public domain, like the news, then what is the point of trying to get some evidence inadmissible in court? Like the jury can't unknow something they saw on the news that was supposed to be evidence but now isn't. Do the jurors have to pretend they don't factor it into a decision when surely in the back of their mind they do?