Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm an infamous botw hater because open world games bore the hell out of me and i still think totk is incredible and i actually beat it (which makes it the first and only open world game to keep my interest that long)

game loving rules. i do kind of hope they ALSO make like a side, smaller 2d zelda soon. like linkawake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I dunno. I think I've been playing BotW on average 3-5 hours/day for since TotK came out, and so have my kids. So it's given us a ton of poo poo to talk about. Not only between us boys, but also they talk to their friends on the playground at school about it like we did as kids. They even pretend to be characters from the game when playing in the pool and beating the poo poo out of each other with pool noodles.

Both of them have beaten it now (I suck because I have to work every day) but we have all played it in different ways. I focused on beating all the shrines and doing things in a more orderly fashion. My 8 year old focused on solving as few puzzles and brute forcing his way through challenging things. My 10 year old was the first to beat it and did so in about 80 hours. The only one who hasn't and won't play it is my wife, who hates games entirely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm a girl and I like zelda

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

I'm a girl and I like zelda

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Astro7x posted:

If they hid the gliding mechanic, people would just google how to get it....

I missed the glider and spent a full frustrating hour in an unsolvable (without the glider) shrine until I gave up and Googled it.

Then I realized that I had to go on more marked quests.

BotW still felt/feels freer. TotK signposts too hard.

Addison rules.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hammer Bro. posted:

I missed the glider and spent a full frustrating hour in an unsolvable (without the glider) shrine until I gave up and Googled it.

Then I realized that I had to go on more marked quests.

BotW still felt/feels freer. TotK signposts too hard.

Addison rules.

the way you get the paraglider is insanely obvious lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gamestop will be dead on Saturday in Ireland, so I got a new Switch Lite for 200.00 and Xenoblade 3 for 20.00.

What is the essential First Party stuff that will never, ever be on Steam? Don't mention Pokemon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Gamestop will be dead on Saturday in Ireland, so I got a new Switch Lite for 200.00 and Xenoblade 3 for 20.00.

What is the essential First Party stuff that will never, ever be on Steam? Don't mention Pokemon.

Beyond the obvious Mario/Zelda/etc, I’d also recommend Bayonetta 2 & 3 and Astral Chain for character action stuff, Advance Wars for strategy, and Part Time UFO for a fun coop physics puzzler

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Gamestop was almost picked clean, but for some reason there was a shitton of Bayonetta titles nobody was taking, even at a steep discount.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Louigis mansion 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V are both great (although there is speculation the latter will come to PC at some point). Although Monster Hunter Rise is on steam, I would argue the Switch is the optimal play experience because on PC its hard to find people to play with and its really designed as a portable pick up and play kind of deal.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

maybealabia posted:

Hero's path being a core feature now seriously helps you not just "miss" big areas

If I was going to change anything to improve exploration, I'd let you have shrines AND something else (wells, let's be honest) on the sensor and not tie korok searching to a single piece of clothing

How do you see this or is it something someone gives you eventually meaning I’ll get to it someday.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gamestop's dying? this an irish thing only?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Augus posted:

the way you get the paraglider is insanely obvious lol

Yes, but also if you're used to BotW's style of 'okay you got everything, now the whole world is open to you!' after leaving the plateau, you may expect the same thing after leaving the tutorial sky isles, not realizing that actually you need to follow quests a liiiiittle bit more to get the rest of the stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Yes, but also if you're used to BotW's style of 'okay you got everything, now the whole world is open to you!' after leaving the plateau, you may expect the same thing after leaving the tutorial sky isles, not realizing that actually you need to follow quests a liiiiittle bit more to get the rest of the stuff.

This, just like someone said, I also lost time climbing up an island south of the main hub, to get to the shrine where you're launched in the air. How I managed to complete half of it without the glider still impresses me, but it's otherwise impossible to actually finish.

It's cool. It's a great game, and I will be playing it for months to come.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

gamestop's dying? this an irish thing only?

The only reason it hasn't already died is because it became a meme stock to gently caress with short sellers so a redditor could get rich going long.

They're so badly managed that even Reggie noped the gently caress out after only a year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How do you see this or is it something someone gives you eventually meaning I’ll get to it someday.
The BOTW DLC Shiekah Slate functionality (Hero's Path, Sensor +, etc.) can be unlocked for the Purah Pad by completing quests for a certain science-y someone.

Help Josha and Robbie at Lookout Landing out with their Depths research until Robbie leaves in his hot air balloon, then catch up with him at the Hateno Village Ancient Tech Lab.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Kins posted:

The BOTW DLC Shiekah Slate functionality (Hero's Path, Sensor +, etc.) can be unlocked for the Purah Pad by completing quests for a certain science-y someone.

Help Josha and Robbie at Lookout Landing out with their Depths research until Robbie leaves in his hot air balloon, then catch up with him at the Hateno Village Ancient Tech Lab.

This took me an embarrassingly long time to do. Every time I booted up the game, I would think "I really should just go get that stuff" and then make my way...about halfway there before getting sidetracked by something new.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Morpheus posted:

idk when I got off the tutorial island without a paraglider my first thought was to try and get the paraglider

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snake Maze posted:

Part Time UFO for a fun coop physics puzzler

Part time UFO might be the best coop game on switch. It gets super cheap too

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

idk when I got off the tutorial island without a paraglider my first thought was to try and get the paraglider

I just assumed it wasn't in the game. But I also hadn't seen any video footage prior.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I just assumed it wasn't in the game. But I also hadn't seen any video footage prior.

Wait you did your ridiculous amount of depths exploration at the start of the game without the paraglider? Lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

:psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I just kept doing quests until all my powers were unlocked? Like you get off the island and half your bar is empty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

it is totally possible to get through quite a bit of the game without the paraglider. Hell, Tears of the Kingdom, like Breath of the Wild; the end credits can be reached without engaging in pretty much anything at all. You can reach the end credits in like an hour or two if you really know what you are doing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

trevorreznik posted:

Part time UFO might be the best coop game on switch. It gets super cheap too

The best co-op game is your child sitting beside you, telling you what to do in Tears of the Kingdom

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I'm hoping for a 3rd version of this hyrule, but flooded so we get Legend of Zelda: Black Flag

This is the only way I can see them wringing a third game out of this map. Flood the world, the Rito move to the top of Hebra Peak, the Gerudo to the Gerudo highlands, the Gorons colonise the inside of Death Mountain somehow, the Zora remain underwater so the game can have atrocious underwater mechanics once more. Maybe some of the sky islands fall into the water to make new islands

Could even be a replacement/alternate timeline version of WW, seeing as how the Dragon Tear memories are basically the events of OOT on the Downfall timeline

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 15, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think they'll be trying that trick twice but i am really curious as to what they do next. The sheer, uh, geographical presence of Hyrule in these games makes me feel that even in a non-direct sequel, they can't really just handwave a totally new map as "this is what Hyrule looks like this time, deal with it" like they did in more abstract maps like OoT to TP and especially the 2D ones

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Morpheus posted:

This took me an embarrassingly long time to do. Every time I booted up the game, I would think "I really should just go get that stuff" and then make my way...about halfway there before getting sidetracked by something new.

I recommend to everyone to use stamps more on the map as a "I'll come back to this later" way of being able to complete tasks! they don't give you the ability to place 300 for nothing!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What lies below the depths??

Tingle knows.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think they'll be trying that trick twice but i am really curious as to what they do next. The sheer, uh, geographical presence of Hyrule in these games makes me feel that even in a non-direct sequel, they can't really just handwave a totally new map as "this is what Hyrule looks like this time, deal with it" like they did in more abstract maps like OoT to TP and especially the 2D ones

I don't really see why the next Hyrule can't be vastly different. Like, inconsistency is consistent across the games. There's some nods here and there - Zoras are often in the east, but then the Deku Tree is Southeast in OoT but Northish in BotW/TotK. WW maps fairly nicely onto OoT, but that was a bit of a narrative point. LttP/LBW's Hyrule is nothing like any of the others either.

It could also just be not-Hyrule like MM, or any of the gameboy games.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is the only way I can see them wringing a third game out of this map. Flood the world, the Rito move to the top of Hebra Peak, the Gerudo to the Gerudo highlands, the Gorons colonise the inside of Death Mountain somehow, the Zora remain underwater so the game can have atrocious underwater mechanics once more. Maybe some of the sky islands fall into the water to make new islands

Could even be a replacement/alternate timeline version of WW, seeing as how the Dragon Tear memories are basically the events of OOT on the Downfall timeline

I got more ways to do the same map again. Oracle of seasons wand. Every area you can turn between winter summer spring and fall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t think they’re gonna make a third game with the same map

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Popoto posted:

I recommend to everyone to use stamps more on the map as a "I'll come back to this later" way of being able to complete tasks! they don't give you the ability to place 300 for nothing!

Seconding this, it’s even more fun when you forget what it was that you stamped so you know there’s something there but don’t quite know what

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

If I see a skull on the map then its either a gleeok, talus, gloom hands, or something I've completely forgotten and it's always a surprise when I visit back to see.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

maybealabia posted:

I mean both at once

Wells and caves (well, blupees) are the big ones that really feel like exploration tools

I'm not going to have a sensor set for pinecones

protip for caves: if you summon a satori at a cherry blossom it will highlight all cave entrances in the area for you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
zelda is now yakuza and will use the same map for 10 games in a row

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 15, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

zelda is now yakuza and will sue the same map for 10 games in a row

Add fishing and Kass Everywhere and my money is theirs.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

thehoodie posted:

protip for caves: if you summon a satori at a cherry blossom it will highlight all cave entrances in the area for you

Second tip: Blupees always run toward a cave entrance

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Add fishing and Kass Everywhere and my money is theirs.

Go full circle for Nintendo and have a Hanafuda den

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really see why the next Hyrule can't be vastly different. Like, inconsistency is consistent across the games. There's some nods here and there - Zoras are often in the east, but then the Deku Tree is Southeast in OoT but Northish in BotW/TotK. WW maps fairly nicely onto OoT, but that was a bit of a narrative point. LttP/LBW's Hyrule is nothing like any of the others either.

It could also just be not-Hyrule like MM, or any of the gameboy games.

I'm having trouble putting my finger on why it would feel off so I dunno. Something to do with how BotW and (maybe to a lesser extent) TotK really force you to spend time getting to know this "high fidelity" massive Hyrule, with new elements like survival, cooking, weather, navigaging mountains and canyons - it feels like a "real" place for, I'd argue, the first time in the series. I don't have any issue seeing OoT's field for example as an abstract representation, closer to a JRPG world map than something Im supposed to compare to a real place, I just don't think that flies for this one.

Or they could just say gently caress it it's different now and everyone would probably get over it in a week :shrug: maybe I'm just hopeful that they decide on something really weird/fresh

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They could bring back The Dark World