Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

zoux posted:

What content did you do while leveling, I got a ton from events and rolling shards. I think gambling has a much higher hit rate than D3, I don't think I've had a obol dump that didn't result in at least one orange.

Im a new parent as I said so I have just been doing the campaign and occasionally some side content with friends, I'm in the final act now (we're away) and when I get home will be completing the campaign.

I played D3 for 11 years I'm not in any way unaware of how these games go or anything but the itemization has been so bad it has me feeling like release D3 all over again. I'm still using a lot of gear with level requirement in the 30s because I have gotten no useful orange loot since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Even without imprinting I had a very comfortable number of legendaries around 30. Sounds like real bad luck yeah.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bus hustler posted:

ive not found a single piece of gear in almost 50 levels that has really improved my life or made me feel more powerful.

Erm, yeah then I guess you are just extraordinarily unlucky because that doesn't sound anything remotely like my experience while leveling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Even without imprinting I had a very comfortable number of legendaries around 30. Sounds like real bad luck yeah.

Like in my experience with this game - and I could just be having really good luck because I got the build defining werebear helmet at 52, multiple drops of perfectly rolled key aspects, etc - is it's probably like 3x as generous with the legendaries as D3

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

explosivo posted:

Erm, yeah then I guess you are just extraordinarily unlucky because that doesn't sound anything remotely like my experience while leveling.

Its all incremental, all of the added power in my build has come from skill points. The game has felt incredibly linear because of it - I've never felt particularly powerful nor underpowered. Besides which buttons I push level 45 feels the same as level 25.

zoux posted:

Like in my experience with this game - and I could just be having really good luck because I got the build defining werebear helmet at 52, multiple drops of perfectly rolled key aspects, etc - is it's probably like 3x as generous with the legendaries as D3

this is absolutely wild to me, i'm glad i asked and just am getting bad luck then. I seriously felt like this was intentional and there isn't meant to be more than campaign "progression" until you beat the capstone.

As I said I played D3 for 11 years so I'm a sucker and unlikely to go anywhere, I just assumed I hadn't hit the fun part yet (which for years was an issue with D3 so I guess I thought it was again). I'm not not enjoying the game just felt like I was still doing the tutorial a week later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bus hustler posted:

Its all incremental, all of the added power in my build has come from skill points. The game has felt incredibly linear because of it - I've never felt particularly powerful nor underpowered. Besides which buttons I push level 45 feels the same as level 25.

There are definitely key Aspects that will completely transform your build and do this power bump you're looking for, same with most of the paragon tree. A lot of this doesn't happen until you hit 50 and start working into T3 where you get Sacred items and Ancestrals in T4.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

that actually kind of matches my necro experience. All of the early legendaries were dogshit like barrier stuff or the one where you do extra damage if you stand still. I think necros have a dearth of good, early affixes or something. It took solidly into the mid-40s before I started getting stuff that I could craft an actual gear-based build around, and I'm pretty sure I started getting those when I did the tree after the main story.

I've been leveling a few alts and the feel is different. Dunno, not going to make any strong claims because RNG is RNG but it feels like they might have whiffed on the early necro affixes. At lest the ones that drop, eventually I was slapping poo poo on from dungeons.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shredder posted:

Just play on T1 and do the story and your friend can join if he wants, you're gonna burn out if you try poopsocking to 70. The story is real good and you'll be close to 50 by the end.

Sounds good. He's definitely one of those guys who believes leveling someone else up is a waste of time unless he's also getting good drops doing it, so I need to get myself up a bit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Looking at the map and finding dungeons with legendary powers you want is the way to "target" them while leveling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t slack on rerolling affixes, it’s pretty cheap the first time and you don’t have to commit to one of the new ones (though you still lose the resource cost)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Cyrano4747 posted:

that actually kind of matches my necro experience. All of the early legendaries were dogshit like barrier stuff or the one where you do extra damage if you stand still. I think necros have a dearth of good, early affixes or something. It took solidly into the mid-40s before I started getting stuff that I could craft an actual gear-based build around, and I'm pretty sure I started getting those when I did the tree after the main story.

I've been leveling a few alts and the feel is different. Dunno, not going to make any strong claims because RNG is RNG but it feels like they might have whiffed on the early necro affixes. At lest the ones that drop, eventually I was slapping poo poo on from dungeons.

I think the entire class is a little under baked and doesn't really feel like a Necromancer. The only thing you can do to consume corpses is raise dead or corpse explosion. Maybe just an alt is the way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bus hustler posted:

Im a new parent as I said so I have just been doing the campaign and occasionally some side content with friends, I'm in the final act now (we're away) and when I get home will be completing the campaign.

I played D3 for 11 years I'm not in any way unaware of how these games go or anything but the itemization has been so bad it has me feeling like release D3 all over again. I'm still using a lot of gear with level requirement in the 30s because I have gotten no useful orange loot since.

how d3 works is not hwo any other arpg works.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think I got my first legendary around level 25 - now at lvl 43 and I have maybe 3/4 of my slots orange. 2 or 3 are imprints, the rest found naturally. I did get very lucky with finding two fairly awesome 1h swords for my bow rogue that had great aspects for my penetrating shot build. Those things will be with me for a long while.

I've extracted or salvaged maybe 10 other legendaries along the way, either from weapons that had crap stats or saving the aspect for potential respecs later on.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bus hustler posted:

It's not just you, itemization is very bad. The affix soup means it's extremely difficult to evaluate items as upgrades, and the rerolling is far worse than it is in D3. It's much more expensive, the affix pool is much larger so the chances of getting the thing you want is lower, and you only get two choices instead of three.

Legendaries are sorta a side track- generally the ones most needed for a build can be gotten from dungeons, but it depends heavily on your class, and if there's a build defining unique you need, well, good fuckin luck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t legendaries often get an extra affix in addition to the aspect affix? My rares have 3 and my legendaries have 4 + aspect.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The legendary drop tables in d3 ROS were highly influenced by player level and difficulty level. Set items couldn't drop below torment 1, certain legendaries weren't allowed to drop below level 70, the 1-40 bracket had very few legendaries for certain classes allowed to drop at all, but doing adventure mode and bounties unlocked the ability to craft low level legendary sets that filled the gap before you got to t1 content. You also had a few targets that let you roll up legendaries, like defeating Malthael for Reapers' Wraps patterns, or killing Leoric for a crown.

Here, it feels like a couple breakpoints for where legendaries start dropping more. I don't think I had any before level 20, and by level 40 had an almost complete set of (subpar) dropped legendaries that you could fill out with the enchanter and the codex. The WT3 entrance point feels like the start of doing Torment 1 in d3, where you now have sacreds and uniques occupying the same space as set items for the huge boosts in power.

There's good options for targeting the holes in your early/midgame loadout, but I want a few more QOL options, like a searchable map and more filters for say, only show me BONE skills or filter out the generic class agnostic legendaries, or only show the Zone I'm currently in. I do like putting a pin on the map and GPS'ing your way to the dungeon when you choose it from the codex though, I just think it needs a bit more of a pop or glow to direct your attention a bit quicker.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard uses Apple Maps for the waypoint routing; it’ll often lead you to some other place entirely and tell you to walk through impassable terrain.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gully Foyle posted:

I think I got my first legendary around level 25 - now at lvl 43 and I have maybe 3/4 of my slots orange. 2 or 3 are imprints, the rest found naturally. I did get very lucky with finding two fairly awesome 1h swords for my bow rogue that had great aspects for my penetrating shot build. Those things will be with me for a long while.

I've extracted or salvaged maybe 10 other legendaries along the way, either from weapons that had crap stats or saving the aspect for potential respecs later on.

I've already had 3 - two weapons and what seems to be a guaranteed amulet from the plot , all by level 15. They know the people demand legendaries

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don’t legendaries often get an extra affix in addition to the aspect affix? My rares have 3 and my legendaries have 4 + aspect.

That's just an item level thing, higher level rares (sacred/ancestral) all have 4 affixes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bus hustler posted:

I think the entire class is a little under baked and doesn't really feel like a Necromancer. The only thing you can do to consume corpses is raise dead or corpse explosion. Maybe just an alt is the way.

Gwaihir posted:

It's not just you, itemization is very bad. The affix soup means it's extremely difficult to evaluate items as upgrades, and the rerolling is far worse than it is in D3. It's much more expensive, the affix pool is much larger so the chances of getting the thing you want is lower, and you only get two choices instead of three.

are we even playing the same game. necro is extremely strong, and the varied affixes make upgrading and itemising easier as well as lettingh you stack things to an absurd degree. like reading posts from an alternate dimension.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bus hustler posted:

I really, really liked my summoner necro during the leveling process and he's low key hilarious in the story for reasons that boil down to:

"Curse these demon raising cultists! They are destroying the world! You there, help us murder these assholes!"
*me, pointing at myself questioningly, surrounded by 10 of my best undead buddies and a golem made from the bones and flesh of my defeated enemies*

That said, later game it falls off. There's a bone spear build that is top notch, a bone spirit nuke build that is top notch, a sever/corpse explode build that is really good, and you can make minions work with variations on minions+blight CE, but it can get rough. The blood skills seem to need a fundamental buff, they don't feel very good in T4 right now.

I've got a necro in the mid-60s. I can do T4 albeit slowly, I think I see a path forward with my build if I can get one specific unique I need, but on the whole it's just not feeling great. I'm leveling various alts right now trying to find something I click with. I really hope minion necros get a bit of a bump in upcoming patches.

edit: that said, you can also do corpse tendrils with corpses. Don't sleep on that, it's a great skill.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Blizzard uses Apple Maps for the waypoint routing; it’ll often lead you to some other place entirely and tell you to walk through impassable terrain.

And in some zones it doesn't even try, merely drawing a dotted straight line that is practically useless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: that said, you can also do corpse tendrils with corpses. Don't sleep on that, it's a great skill.

Corpse Tendril to yank everything together into a thick cloud of CE miasma while you fire off bone spears into the pack is extremely satisfying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stux posted:

are we even playing the same game. necro is extremely strong, and the varied affixes make upgrading and itemising easier as well as lettingh you stack things to an absurd degree. like reading posts from an alternate dimension.

He's playing a summoner necro from the sound of it. The really strong necro builds right now mostly sacrifice the minions and play like a caster.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Me Roguing: Haha gently caress yeah! Yes!!!

Me Druiding: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if i want damage in an affix on a slot i can look for straight damage, damage to blood skills, physical damage, damage to CC'd enemies, damage to shadow dot'd enemies, damage to close enemies, overpower damage. i can even consider fortify generation and flat life affixes as damage contribution. how is this a bad thing lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cyrano4747 posted:

That said, later game it falls off. There's a bone spear build that is top notch, a bone spirit nuke build that is top notch, a sever/corpse explode build that is really good, and you can make minions work with variations on minions+blight CE, but it can get rough.

I've been rolling pretty easy with my minions + blight build. No corpse explosion fart clouds required. Large packs can get a little dicey sometimes but if I can group them all together with blight under a mage blizzard storm they go down easy enough. Plus I just completely delete bosses, which is hilarious.

also:

bus hustler posted:

yes the legendaries have been absolute dog poo poo, bad roles even if you can squint and find the affix somewhat useful. ive not found a single piece of gear in almost 50 levels that has really improved my life or made me feel more powerful. the game has been a really tedious slog up until now and im glad im just having bad luck, because it made me literally never want to level an alt.

I feel like you missed the mechanic that he was asking about. Imprinting legendary aspects, either from rares you ripped them out of or just min rolls from the codex, onto rare items can be a huge power spike. All those bad rolling legendaries you're complaining about with a useful aspect can fuel one of your good pieces of gear instead to make it even better.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 15, 2023

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I had really poo poo luck getting the Barb shout legendaries, by 78 I had only seen a single 1 of the 2 different ones drop.

8 hours later I vendored it because navigating the inventory/character screen is a jumpy nightmare.

Where the sweet sweet Season 1 info.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looking at the map and finding dungeons with legendary powers you want is the way to "target" them while leveling.

Do the aspects in dungeons change?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ZeusCannon posted:

Do the aspects in dungeons change?

No, they are always the same dungeons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's the philosophy for paragon boards? I've been beelining to relevant rare/legendary nodes and glyph nodes for the most part. I like that there appear to be boards catered to certain builds.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

faantastic posted:

8 hours later I vendored it because navigating the inventory/character screen is a jumpy nightmare.

There's a vendor buy back. Unless you sold it with a bunch of other stuff and it got pushed back past the buyback items.

SettingSun posted:

What's the philosophy for paragon boards? I've been beelining to relevant rare/legendary nodes and glyph nodes for the most part. I like that there appear to be boards catered to certain builds.

Seems like generally yeah you want to find the shortest path to the legendary and any rare nodes on the board you want, scoop up any nodes around the rare one to enable the bonus, then find the shortest path to get to the nearest gate and start a new board.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

explosivo posted:

There's a vendor buy back. Unless you sold it with a bunch of other stuff and it got pushed back past the buyback items.

I TPd to a dungeon and I believe that cleared the sold tab unfortunately.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SettingSun posted:

Depends on the build.

Usually, getting the rare nodes, glyph nodes, and legendary nodes (if applicable to your build) and then finding the quickest path out of the board to pick a new one is the most efficient way to do it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, they are always the same dungeons.

Oh so if an aspect isnt on a dungeon then its only a random drop?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Swilo posted:

And in some zones it doesn't even try, merely drawing a dotted straight line that is practically useless.

this is the best one I've had so far

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CBD Corndog posted:

this is the best one I've had so far

I think that’s where the sandstorm sequence takes place and you have no map (similar to the swamp snake area) and they just said gently caress it the gps doesn’t work in these areas ever.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

You pinned it off map?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

faantastic posted:

I TPd to a dungeon and I believe that cleared the sold tab unfortunately.

Ah yeah rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ZeusCannon posted:

Oh so if an aspect isnt on a dungeon then its only a random drop?

Or a gamble.