Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Elder Postsman posted:

maybe you don't need news. just a thought.

my life is richer for knowing the president stared directly into a solar eclipse with no eye protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Elder Postsman posted:

maybe you don't need news. just a thought.

I always think if I didn’t have access to most international, national news, I would not actually be at any major detriment. Local news by its nature of being more proximate to daily life makes more sense. Even then, most of the time, it doesn’t require action or any change in my day to day life.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
It's fantastic seeing new people, it really is!!!

Hi
Do you have any questions?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bad Purchase posted:

my life is richer for knowing the president stared directly into a solar eclipse with no eye protection

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I found it's not good for your mental wellbeing to continously attempt to stay on top of all current affairs, hottest takes, and exciting new memes.

Gave up on being well-informed in 2019 and much better for it.

No idea what is going on or why everyone is shouting at each other.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Same. I was never on reddit but I would be on twitter a different, much more toxic forum (resetera née neogaf) and get a constant news stream from there.

Since I moved here a while ago I only get some news (mostly via the trump thread, but as I'm not American it's mostly entertaining) and my life is definitely better for it. Less anxious and more focused on myself.

I still just go to a news site / Wikipedia every week or two to check out the bit stuff.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Lusty Grundles posted:

Reddit died when they sacked that AMA lady for no reason.

Just bizarre. That subreddit never recovered. Though I guess they moved to doing amas in individual subreddits.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Frogz posted:

Agreed, here you go!

This looks great.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Quotey posted:

Just bizarre. That subreddit never recovered. Though I guess they moved to doing amas in individual subreddits.
I mean, it's essentially this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034071&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post532521040. Still feels like it was for no reason though.

It reeked of a tone-deaf decision to put money first over community (something we're seeing as a trend now). The Victoria thing happened organically and it was great, she became an unsung hero especially of the AMAs where you're reading it and trying to put it into the voice and tone of the guest that's said it. She managed to capture the mannerisms of the guests really well, and it added something so much beyond 'did you do this? yeah' that you get on pretty much any modern AMA where a musician is sat in an airport lounge waiting for their flight.

The passion in that subreddit left when she did, which was a shame because there's been some superb ones in there down the years. Some of the non-famous ones were great too (the guy with two dicks, and the guy that worked at McDonalds for five years spring to mind).

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This looks great.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Szechwan posted:

What happened to askhistorians? It was one of the few well-run subs

I always enjoyed r/patientgamers, it was game discussion of past releases only, which tended to keep the hot takes to a minimum and actually generated some really interesting discussion imo.

/r/ObscureMedia/ is cool and I hope it comes back.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 15, 2023

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Didn't they fire her because they were too mean to James Corden (no such thing) or because they didn't ask enough questions about whatever stupid movie Woody Harrelson's assistant was trying to promote?

They probably were afraid that all the top ten celeb dunk on listicles were keeping away investor money from scientology or some poo poo.

But I'm pooping while I type this so maybe my opinion is dumb and I am duuuuuuuuuuuummmmb.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Houle posted:

Didn't they fire her because they were too mean to James Corden (no such thing) or because they didn't ask enough questions about whatever stupid movie Woody Harrelson's assistant was trying to promote?

They probably were afraid that all the top ten celeb dunk on listicles were keeping away investor money from scientology or some poo poo.

But I'm pooping while I type this so maybe my opinion is dumb and I am duuuuuuuuuuuummmmb.

Think it was that she was part of the removal of racist and harassment based subreddits, as well as the fappening, like fat people hate and other delightful places and reddit had a whinge about it all over the place so she resigned.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Think it was that she was part of the removal of racist and harassment based subreddits, as well as the fappening, like fat people hate and other delightful places and reddit had a whinge about it all over the place so she resigned.

The offended Redditors then temporarily ran off to Voat, which was basically made up of 100% Nazi incels.

FAH Q
Aug 19, 2007

Certified Monster Fucker

Lemon Trees posted:

I heard that was an incredibly abusive and nasty subreddit targeting a mentally ill woman.

There are terrible people everywhere but no, most people just wanted her deplatformed since she's both a bad person and an internet influencer so she's really hosed up a lot of people. I don't really give a poo poo, it was just the only thing I used reddit for - keeping up with her BS and keeping tabs on cults.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

I love to get my news by wading through 4000 new posts

love to use the somethingawful forums as my source for news

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

What's the latest?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin Bacon posted:

What's the latest?

believe it or not, reddit is still bad as of this very moment

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Houle posted:

Your opinion isn't dumb and you're not dumb, believe in yourself more <3

But yes, also, wash your hands.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Being able to stay uninformed of what's going on is such a privilege

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

feverish and oversexed posted:

Being able to stay uninformed of what's going on is such a privilege

that's why i haven't let my kids out of the basement for 30 years, perhaps i'm spoiling them

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Lusty Grundles posted:

The passion in that subreddit left when she did, which was a shame because there's been some superb ones in there down the years. Some of the non-famous ones were great too (the guy with two dicks, and the guy that worked at McDonalds for five years spring to mind).

Im so sorry to be the one to break this to you, but the two dick guy was a fraud. I bought an account specifically to tell you this.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Double dick dude is real to me god drat it

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Szechwan posted:

Im so sorry to be the one to break this to you, but the two dick guy was a fraud. I bought an account specifically to tell you this.

Now that’s what I call “growth strategy”

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So did the protest work??

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
No because redditors have no concept of what makes a protest effective

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Szechwan posted:

Welcome to GBS

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Szechwan posted:

You can't just come in here and tell lies like this. We obey the laws of spacetime here.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Houle posted:

There's a few reasons:

• They wanted to centralise staff to SF and kill work from home, but she was based in New York and unwilling to leave.
  • They wanted to try to monetise it by having video AMAs instead in which she would not be as needed, but they fired her before that system got past the concept idea for some reason. Since her getting fired killed AMAs it killed that project too.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Szechwan posted:

What the heck, do I get commission for this? Hey JEFF

Also, welcome buddy. Put gloves on before you touch anything.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Toxic Mental posted:

They raised the free api access from 60 to 100 queries per month, WE WON TAKE THAT CONDE NASTY POWER TO THE NARWHAL BACON

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Szechwan posted:

hey welcome and also gently caress you

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Sounds like a lot of posters need to develop the galazy eye scroll.

The second your eyes start to glaze over and droop from reading someone's effort post you immediately scroll down or thumb up(mobile users).

Same way with the mega threads. Oh 500 posts behind? Conversations poo poo on page 4327 go ahead and skip to 4331 and re-engage.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

actually my uncle knows a guy with three dicks

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Toxic Mental posted:

They need to focus on ruining the site for IPO I don’t know how a bunch of tech workers think that a guy like spez could give a rip if they disable some subs and call him names. The site is remarkably well behaved over this given its’ history.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

IPO? lmfao

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Toxic Mental posted:

The 2 day one did not. Now the indefinite protest starts. Will that work? Who knows.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

GolfHole posted:

IPO? lmfao

I Pissed Onmyself

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

We are gonna stomp our feet for 48 hours but not a minute longer!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Just Logoff Dumbass