Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/1669378468419600391?t=-h1hyKocH47vBLTBdWacDQ&s=19

Feels like the Finals MVP's apparent disinterest undermines this argument.

Miami Heat '22-'23 Mixtape: Triumph Of The Will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

nah coaches and anyone else who people never paid a dime to watch should not talk poo poo about the players. Shut Up And Scribble imo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/1669378468419600391?t=-h1hyKocH47vBLTBdWacDQ&s=19

That's a misunderstanding of Jokic.

Jokic extremely cares about winning and basketball and has a strong "will", he just doesn't care about everything that surrounds and comes with basketball on the like media side.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

drat guess they just didn’t want to win the Finals

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fischer with actual stuff

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1669366148121362432?s=20

quote:

Wishful executives will keep their eyes peeled on Portland and Damian Lillard, but it’s the Chicago Bulls who have started contacting teams, quietly gauging the trade interest in Zach LaVine, league sources told Yahoo Sports. It remains to be seen just how willing Chicago is to part ways with LaVine, or if it receives a commensurate offer for his services. LaVine has four seasons remaining on his five-year, $215 million contract, and multiple teams have indicated the Bulls are holding a steep valuation for LaVine — one that’s likely to exceed what Washington can ultimately net for Beal.

quote:

Harden’s other potential free-agent outcome still stands to be rejoining the Rockets, although it’s hard to trace a straight line through all the forecasts of Houston’s offseason plans. There is one common denominator among the Rockets’ long list of summer goals: spend money, acquire talent and compete for the postseason under the guidelines from owner Tilman Fertitta. Rumored free-agent targets such as Lopez, Dillon Brooks and a long list of wings would seemingly slot well next to Harden. And yet, if the 34-year-old were to return to the franchise where he became an MVP, that would come after the Rockets pick at No. 4 in the draft, where Houston is said to be targeting a point guard, leading many rival teams to project the Rockets selecting Overtime Elite playmaker Amen Thompson.

quote:

The Mavericks are considering options to move down from No. 10 into the middle of the first round, sources said, to pick up a veteran rotation piece to help support Luka Doncic and free agent-to-be Kyrie Irving. The Mavericks and Hawks, for example, discussed the idea of swapping Dāvis Bertāns and the No. 15 pick for John Collins and the No. 10 pick, sources said, although those talks do not appear to have progressed at this time.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dexo posted:

Jokic extremely cares about winning and basketball and has a strong "will", he just doesn't care about everything that surrounds and comes with basketball on the like media side.

If that was true he would call Rachel Nichols so she could tell everyone how much he doesn't care about anything other than winning.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

WhyteRyce posted:

[Stein]There is no disputing New Orleans’ strong interest in Henderson. The Pelicans want more of a traditional playmaker than they’ve had and are undeniably drawn to the explosive Henderson. I heard this week from one well-placed observer who is convinced that the Pelicans would indeed consider dealing Williamson away if it meant they could draft Henderson, pointing to a rising level of exasperation within the organization regarding Williamson's ongoing availability issues and overall approach. My read, at this juncture, is that the Pelicans are less inclined to consider trading Brandon Ingram in the same scenario.

mods change my name to well placed observer
if this were real that'd absolutely rule for Charlotte... a LaMelo and Zion tandem would be so much fun. throw in wife beater scum super dunker Miles Bridges and what you've got is pretty electric if they aren't drowned by injuries and off the court issues. Even Rozier is a good fit with that squad. I'd definitely trade Scoot and salary filler (Hayward is a pretty close match) for that possibility

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 15, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fast Luck posted:

if this were real that'd absolutely rule for Charlotte... a LaMelo and Zion tandem would be so much fun. throw in wife beater scum super dunker Miles Bridges and what you've got is pretty electric if they aren't drowned by injuries and off the court issues. Even Rozier is a good fit with that squad. I'd definitely trade Scoot and salary filler (Hayward is a pretty close match) for that possibility

It would take far more than that according to Fischer (who is much more plugged into the Pels than Stein):

quote:

The Pelicans are indeed quite high on Henderson, sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports. He boasts the explosiveness and athletic build of a bonafide franchise-caliber offensive engine, with Henderson measuring just under 6-foot-4 in shoes during visits with Portland and Charlotte. New Orleans is armed with all the future draft capital if those two teams were to value that commodity. But that’s just not the present reality.

For all the incoming calls the Pelicans receive on Trey Murphy, dating back to February’s trade deadline, sources said, he’s not quite the headlining player that would appear to get Charlotte or Portland’s attention. So that leaves Brandon Ingram or Zion Williamson in this thought experiment. New Orleans staffers always speak philosophically about no player being “untouchable,” but the Pelicans have shown little interest in parting with Ingram at this juncture, league sources told Yahoo Sports. With Williamson’s health history, New Orleans has had to pragmatically consider alternatives for the Pelicans’ long-term roster construction, especially under harsher tax penalties in the league’s new CBA. New Orleans, though, still fondly remembers standing first in the Western Conference when this roster was fully available last season. It sounds like the No. 2 or No. 3 pick in this draft would merely be the starting point to meet New Orleans’ valuation of Williamson, all his possible downside entering a five-year, $194 million contract be damned.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Dexo posted:

I know, it's just a funny comparison of mentality. A lot of athletes, and people generally, need personal narrative and emotional energy to push themselves. Jokic is one of those rare dudes that can conjure up high levels of effort and determination by choice. If anything it demonstrates an extremely high level of will.

Just weird to compare him against the psudeo Jordan mentality that is so pervasive in the league.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Michael Malone is never getting fired because the Kroenkes are too cheap to pay two coaches

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kibner posted:

It would take far more than that according to Fischer (who is much more plugged into the Pels than Stein):

yeah I mean injury concerns or not one pick is not enough to get a guy like zion.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Jokic is a guy who is playing professional ball because he is 7 feet tall and happens to be good at it. What is the stat, 10% of 7ft men are in the NBA? And he happens to be one who can, actually play?

Obviously competitive, obviously cares about basketball, but I can see life limiting his actual choices here.

If you're a 7 footer who can stroke it from deep and not instantly dribble the ball off your foot, you're gonna get paid to hoop, and that's just the way it's gonna be.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You don’t win championships as the record breaking centerpiece if you don’t care. Jokic is a big funny dude and ha ha at him being a regular joe about work but being seven foot doesn’t guarantee NBA success, the dude sees the court and has moves that require a metric fuckton of practice and I just don’t see how that happens if you’re approaching your job like a random office goon.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bard Maddox posted:

Michael Malone is never getting fired because the Kroenkes are too cheap to pay two coaches

Might mean that they don't renew his contract when he wants to be paid more as NBA Championship Coach Michael Malone, though. IIRC one of the reasons they fired Karl was that he wanted a contract extension.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

you could argue jokic is the least talented player to dominate for this many years ever if u wanted. which means hes the hardest working, which also means? u guessed it. jimmy butler aint poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1669389303191830536

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

the miami heat in the playoffs graph

Jokic perks up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bleh, the worst place for Amen to develop would be next to James Harden

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If prime chris paul was a foot taller but just as good at passing and facilitating would he be as good as jokic

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

If prime chris paul was a foot taller would he be as good as jokic

Yes. Easily. Prime CP3 before the bum knee was a monster.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jokic doesn't have those handles or pull-up game but i don't know how possible those are with that body.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1669410161536974870?s=20

Very bad, gently caress McGregor, fire the marketing dipshit who thought it was a good idea to bring a violent, washed-up hasbeen to what was a decent and good sporting event.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

"You know I said I don't want a parade. I loving want to stay on parade,"
-Nikola Jokic

https://twitter.com/VojaMedic/status/1669410680305508353?s=20

I love him.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 15, 2023

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

wedgie deliverer posted:

Very bad, gently caress McGregor, fire the marketing dipshit who thought it was a good idea to bring a violent, washed-up hasbeen to what was a decent and good sporting event.

So at an event where he was there to promote a... pain spray?... he knocked the mascot into the hospital and raped someone.

Give someone money and see who they really are, eh?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

morestuff posted:

Harden’s other potential free-agent outcome still stands to be rejoining the Rockets, although it’s hard to trace a straight line through all the forecasts of Houston’s offseason plans. There is one common denominator among the Rockets’ long list of summer goals: spend money, acquire talent and compete for the postseason under the guidelines from owner Tilman Fertitta. Rumored free-agent targets such as Lopez, Dillon Brooks and a long list of wings would seemingly slot well next to Harden. And yet, if the 34-year-old were to return to the franchise where he became an MVP, that would come after the Rockets pick at No. 4 in the draft, where Houston is said to be targeting a point guard, leading many rival teams to project the Rockets selecting Overtime Elite playmaker Amen Thompson.

I know Tillman isn't the brightest, but why the gently caress would the Rockets be targeting Brook Lopez and Dillon Brooks? They already have a starting center and two other guys who can play more of a small ball center. Not that Brook isn't a lot better than Jabari and Tari right now, but I don't see how he fits with Sengun in the mix while the young guys develop, and when you factor in the cost, it just doesn't make sense.

I could see trying to buy low on Dillon Brooks since he isn't likely to be as bad as he was in the Lakers series all year, but while he's actually a good defender, he's not an offensive upgrade over Jae'Sean Tate, which is a ground-level bar to clear when "upgrading" at the wing.

With all the money the Rockets have, they could overpay for Bruce Brown, Gabe Vincent, and like Bogdanovic or Ingles and be instantly better with money to spare. If they sign Harden at ~50 AAV, there's only room for one or two, and while the team would still be significantly better, things could get messy in a couple years when the rookie deals need to be extended and you can't easily move 60+ mil 37yo Harden.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

will_colorado posted:

"You know I said I don't want a parade. I loving want to stay on parade,"
-Nikola Jokic

https://twitter.com/VojaMedic/status/1669410680305508353?s=20

I love him.

A parade float is kind of like a really big horse

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1669410070692761600

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

wedgie deliverer posted:

I'm irrationally angry that there was a bathroom at the NBA finals private enough for this to happen and they let him of all human beings use it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mavs should trade for Beal + sign and trade Kyrie for Ayton.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

loool

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1669427542506328067

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The kings finally have a somewhat decent roster!! Quick let’s gently caress it up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is Beal even good anymore?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It’s especially funny in the context of the roster that just won the championship. Imagine if they had blown it up to trade Murray for Kyrie or whatever.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sacramento can't trade a pick until like 2028 but sure I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kingcobweb posted:

The kings finally have a somewhat decent roster!! Quick let’s gently caress it up

But think of the branding

Light the Bealcon!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is Beal even good anymore?

Played 50 games, these are his stats

23.2 ppg
3.9 rpg
5.4 apg

Hasn't played more then 60 games since the 2019 season. In 11 years has an average of 63 games played a year, managed to play the entire season in 2017 and 2018

If statlines are a bell curve he passed his peak and is on the decline.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

If they could somehow just replace Huerter with Beal, that would probably be an improvement. But it'll certainly cost them a lot more than that and tie up way too much salary space.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

Sacramento can't trade a pick until like 2028 but sure I guess

There was an article yesterday saying how low the price will be for Beal given how bad his contract is. If Washington is cleaning house then some kind of young asset and less bad salary filler might get it down

Outside of Holmes and I guess a then expendable Monk, the Kings don’t have a ton of good contracts for that

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wedgie deliverer posted:

Jokic is a guy who is playing professional ball because he is 7 feet tall and happens to be good at it. What is the stat, 10% of 7ft men are in the NBA? And he happens to be one who can, actually play?

Obviously competitive, obviously cares about basketball, but I can see life limiting his actual choices here.

If you're a 7 footer who can stroke it from deep and not instantly dribble the ball off your foot, you're gonna get paid to hoop, and that's just the way it's gonna be.

Jokic is 6'10". Barefoot 7 footers are rare in the nba too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

He looks like an even more hosed up Rod Dyrdek