Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

AzureSkys posted:

A coworker came across a cat running free on the ramp at a large airport we worked at. He met me at another plane and it took me a bit to understand that he was saying "I found a cat and it's in the van".
We then found a 747 getting loaded up nearby for an international flight and a lot of workers standing around an empty cat-sized kennel in the baggage cart. We were all real glad that worked out the way it did.

"Stray cat cat-napped and sent to Japan. Prize pedigree cat still on the lam"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We had a lost cat in transit incident make the news a few years ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/chester-the-cat-lost-by-air-canada-at-montreal-airport-1.2664326

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Arthur said staff have laid sardine-laden traps for Chester and circulated his picture around to airport staff, going so far as to dispatch employees to search the backyards of homes neighbouring the Dorval airport and employing the airport’s falcon unit to search for the Scottish fold. Stewart said she was told Air Canada had also alerted other airports, in case Chester managed to get onto another plane.

wait…

quote:

airport’s falcon unit

It turns out it’s just a company called falcon environmental.

But…

quote:

FES has provided the wildlife management program at Trudeau and Mirabel International Airports for nearly 20 years.

In the field, FES employs falconry, pyrotechnics, trapping, firearms and distress calls to manage wildlife

I don’t think they actually called in a falconer for look for the cat but that’s the coolest interpretation so we should all go with that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lost in the airport for a month!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/chester-the-cat-found-after-being-lost-by-air-canada-1.2679723

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

hobbesmaster posted:

wait…

It turns out it’s just a company called falcon environmental.

But…

I don’t think they actually called in a falconer for look for the cat but that’s the coolest interpretation so we should all go with that.

Yes? It’s a company called falcon environmental that employs falconers and falcons among other measures to mitigate birds around the airport, as most major airports do. The falcon wouldn’t be too helpful looking for a cat but falconers spend more time out in the airport landscaping than most others.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Yes? It’s a company called falcon environmental that employs falconers and falcons among other measures to mitigate birds around the airport, as most major airports do. The falcon wouldn’t be too helpful looking for a cat but falconers spend more time out in the airport landscaping than most others.

Serious question: do the falconers have to get clearance from the tower for their birds to take off? It wouldn't do for the falcon to be sharing airspace too closely with an A320, after all, so there's got to be some coordination involved.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Powered Descent posted:

Serious question: do the falconers have to get clearance from the tower for their birds to take off? It wouldn't do for the falcon to be sharing airspace too closely with an A320, after all, so there's got to be some coordination involved.

I hope they get call signs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The falcon wouldn’t be too helpful looking for a cat

It would find the cat but would not necessarily be helpful.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It would find the cat

Delicious.

Our cat/airline story involved Foot, a Heinz-57 tiger, who ate her way out of the cardboard carrier that Air France decreed that my mother had to use (for each of the two cats that they also insisted had to be in the cabin) on the flight from Zurich to Nice during my family’s move in 1975 (my sister & I took the other two cats via my father & our Opel sedan).

So the crew spent the entire flight, to the general amusement of the pax, trying to catch her. Caught during descent, and returned to a heavily-taped carrier.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 16, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The FBO in flagstaff, az had several cats they employed as mousers that got to laze around the inside of the building and had a door to let them out onto the ramp. One night I was walking to the plane and one of the cats ran up and dropped a dead mouse at my feet. It was so adorable :3:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They’re so proud of themselves when they do that too.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Can't park there, mate.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

He's off the shoulder he's fine

Hell he could probably take off from there too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

The FBO in flagstaff, az had several cats they employed as mousers that got to laze around the inside of the building and had a door to let them out onto the ramp. One night I was walking to the plane and one of the cats ran up and dropped a dead mouse at my feet. It was so adorable :3:

Just so long as the mouse is dead.

Though if you’re outside it’s less of a problem I guess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm unconvinced he'll clear the blue rest stop sign further up the road

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Just so long as the mouse is dead.

Though if you’re outside it’s less of a problem I guess.

It was clearly disemboweled so very dead. They let out the happiest little meow and then proceeded to rub itself all over my pant leg. Top 10 flying moment right there :)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm like on 35 hours or so of my PPL. Most of the syllabus is done, so I'm doing the solo cross-country tomorrow. I did the trip with my instructor a couple of months ago but I am pretty nervous -- the first leg goes partially over the water with a ceiling of 1500 ft (above 1500 ft is class A airspace) to a very touristy island where traffic must be absolutely wild tomorrow (a Sunday with 25C father's day to boot). I really really hope I don't get a heart attack of make a fool of myself trying to squeeze in as the 19th airplane on the circuit. Gosh, I hope there'll still be parking on the apron when I get there. My instructor tells me that she thinks I'm overly cautious and shouldn't worry about these things in advance but goddamn do I not want to tell her that I taxi'd the plane into high grass and can't get it out lol.

I should send her a selfie from the airport bar with a beer in front of me and the plane in the background, make her regret her judgement

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You’ll be fine OP. Try and do a loop if the opportunity presents itself. Everyone will be very impressed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

You’ll be fine OP. Try and do a loop if the opportunity presents itself. Everyone will be very impressed.

At the very least buzz a suspension bridge.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lord Stimperor posted:

the first leg goes partially over the water with a ceiling of 1500 ft (above 1500 ft is class A airspace)

Genuinely curious about this. Where is it?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone know what this weird thing I saw in the sky was? It was north of Boulder Colorado.

It seemed like it was falling down in the same spot, not moving towards or away from me. It sometimes had a really long trail of “smoke” and sometimes not. Zooming in it has what looks like two contrails. Eventually it went behind some trees and I lost track of it. Are these aliens coming to eat my rear end?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh they totally are, but this ain’t them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like the contrail of a jet that is cruising almost directly away from you.

It starts and stops because of the changing atmospheric conditions along the path of the plane.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I thought it was that too but flightradar didnt show any planes over there going that direction. Could be a military train too with their transponder off I guess.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't know how high that tree is, but if the angle between you and the top of the tree was 30 degrees then the plane was 10-15 miles away.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MrYenko posted:

Genuinely curious about this. Where is it?

Amsterdam. Large parts of Western NL are restricted to 1500 ft for VFR, chart asks you to stay at 1300 ft even. You monitor Amsterdam info but are instructed not to call up, just squawk 7020 so they can give advise you (you will mostly heat a constant stream of traffic advisories). Best wy to the islands goes through there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is class A in Amsterdam the equivalent of American class B (big airports)? In the USA class A is the space above FL180 where you have to be on an instrument flight plan to fly.

If so, there is a very similar place to this right nearby:

quote:

- the first leg goes partially over the water with a ceiling of 1500 ft (above 1500 ft is class A airspace)

Any eastbound departure from KSQL starts out exactly the same, flying over the San Francisco Bay with a ceiling of 1500 feet due to the SFO B right above.

e: the other fun part about that departure, as you can see, is that there is a radio tower about a half mile to your right at 560' AGL, and a half mile to your left is the corner of the bravo surface area. Fortunately nobody has hit the radio tower, but pilots steering too clear of it do occasionally clip the bravo on their way out and get a phone number on their way back.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 18, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

Is class A in Amsterdam the equivalent of American class B (big airports)? In the USA class A is the space above FL180 where you have to be on an instrument flight plan to fly.

If so, there is a very similar place to this right nearby:

Any eastbound departure from KSQL starts out exactly the same, flying over the San Francisco Bay with a ceiling of 1500 feet due to the SFO B right above.

As far as I know it's standard class A, IFR only. But I'll ask or look up when I'm back because now I am curious.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Buy the F-4 that's available on the site. Sure it doesn't fly yet but F-4s loving own and that's all that matters.

Off by 1 imo. F-5 or T-38 is literally engineered to be cheap and easy to fly/maintain (for a jet fighter).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

has anyone ever been crazy enough to make a pulsejet powered homebuilt

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAKekhmTRaY

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah, a while back, but the british government got very annoyed with them.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm back from my cross country, and I brought home stickers and 'certificates' that were proudly made in LibreOffice :sun:

Upon my return, my FI was totalling the time and noticed that I am exactly 10 minutes short of the minimum solo hours. So I have to kick her out during exam prep so I can make a couple of laps around the airfield.

The only two mandatory items in the syllabus are an international flight, and finishing the basic instruments thing. I don't think I'll manage to have my checkride at 45 hours, but if I brush up on my lessons and prep really well, I might get close.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Upon my return, my FI was totalling the time and noticed that I am exactly 10 minutes short of the minimum solo hours. So I have to kick her out during exam prep so I can make a couple of laps around the airfield.

how can it be?? 10 minutes is not an even factor of tenths of an hour!

also lomarf @ an international flight being a requirement for a ppl. europe :allears:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

how can it be?? 10 minutes is not an even factor of tenths of an hour!

also lomarf @ an international flight being a requirement for a ppl. europe :allears:

My school rounds down in 5-minute segments. I don't know if other places do it differently, but I'd be too dumb anyway to keep all the records straight if I had to do it by 6-minute increments.

Not sure if you're being facetious about international flights. But I'll bite regardless. I doubt whether EASA mandates it, but my flight school does, and I think that's very useful. Even in a dinky little two-seat bugsmasher the border isn't far away. In fact, I've soared at an air field where people had to be reminded regularly to please not circle in thermals right on the border, as the authorities on the other side of the border keep complaining about randos drifting into their airspace. As far as I can tell from glancing across different national AIPs, there is a bunch of little details that you should take care of for a smooth cross-border op. Legal shenanigans aside (at least customs/immigration is a practical non-issue within Schengen): where do countries publish official and up-to-date VFR charts online? Why does another country require a paid subscription to access aviation weather (and how do the cheapskates there avoiding that)? Why does one AIP state super exact and comprehensive procedures and information for even the tiniest grass airstrip, while another just puts down a vague and incomplete-looking sectional chart and some contact details? One of these things I came across is that actually I'm not legally language-proficient to radio in my native tongue, since my LPE is English and my certificate is yetin another language (makes sense, just didn't occur to me before). So, given that a bunch of small airfields in France and Germany only provide English radio on PPR, I gotta call in advance so they can wheel somone in with English LPE to operate the mic.

I'm also expecting the ATSUs to have somewhat different attitudes and quirks across borders. By now I've learned how to (not) annoy the FIS in my region and how to maintain their good will. I can only imagine that the people working at AustroControl, the NATS, or DFS all have slightly different styles.

I'm really looking forward to doing that. Would also love to visit my family in a little club shitbox that's held together by INOP stickers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They can fly internationally on a single gas tank, it’s not that impressive.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

They can fly internationally on a single gas tank, it’s not that impressive.

We don't have to do it but there are tons of airports on the US/Canada border. I know a couple patterns out here that will put you within a mile of the border. It's not a big deal. Don't land there and they don't tend to care as long as you don't violate the Bravo

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Maksimus54 posted:

We don't have to do it but there are tons of airports on the US/Canada border. I know a couple patterns out here that will put you within a mile of the border. It's not a big deal. Don't land there and they don't tend to care as long as you don't violate the Bravo

Brown Field to TJ International is like 2 miles. It is apparently not uncommon for a plane landing at Brown Field to accidentally have little a international flight, as a treat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bondematt posted:

Brown Field to TJ International is like 2 miles. It is apparently not uncommon for a plane landing at Brown Field to accidentally have little a international flight, as a treat.

I just noticed earlier that the Geneva airport is *right* up against the border with France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lord Stimperor posted:

In fact, I've soared at an air field where people had to be reminded regularly to please not circle in thermals right on the border, as the authorities on the other side of the border keep complaining about randos drifting into their airspace.

Why does one AIP state super exact and comprehensive procedures and information for even the tiniest grass airstrip,…

Getting real Swiss vibes here