Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I was recently at a q&a rep with several Texas House members who are both Republican and both voted to impeach Ken Paxton.

Obviously some ppl asked them about the impeachment; and while they couldn't share much, they did share that the evidence is pretty damning.

Should be an interesting August assuming we all haven't burnt up to death by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The evidence is insanely damning but this isn't a legal process it's a political one, and the Senate is rife with potential conflicts. Don't forget he's a former state senator whose old seat is currently occupied by his wife. Though at some point the state party has to look at this guy and wonder why they're spending political capitol on crimes mcgee.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

i say swears online posted:

that would still encompass vacation homes unless you had some way to confirm it was being rented

I think it's fine to include vacation homes - that's not that big of a deal if some beach houses and lake houses were included in some broader tax relief that is the only thing that would encompass renters - it's not a big deal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

beach house haver spotted

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
All Properties Matter

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Though at some point the state party has to look at this guy and wonder why they're spending political capitol on crimes mcgee.

Or they can just follow the national party platform and double and triple down on it. *Laughs in Trump*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But he's a replacement level Republican party hack, there's 50 dudes just like him who haven't been indicted and impeached

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1669364702575570946

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

He died defending slavery, so gently caress him anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Worf?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Realistically, what is the response to this? Cities/counties band together and pass as many tiny, granular laws that just skirt state regulations until the state government is overwhelmed in court? I can't imagine Houston/Harris, Austin/Travis, SA/Bexar, and DFW/Everything just throwing up their hands and saying "Oh well!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the end product, they've preempted all kinds of stuff before and that all stood because the cities aren't like constituent states of the union, they exist at only at the consent of the state. Home rule cities are always superseded by state law.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 15, 2023

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
might as well be called the gently caress Lina Hidalgo bill

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jake Gittes posted:

Only in their dreams.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jake Gittes posted:

*faints at mention of "the f word"*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's more about Austin bashing I think but they hate all the cities.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

It's more about Austin bashing I think but they hate all the cities.

They made it pretty clear how they feel about Houston/Harris with the federal Harvey funds.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Denton banned fracking within city limits a few years ago too, which was quickly disallowed by the lege. This is about cities in general being more liberal than rural areas, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1669427635192057866?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Swears they are loving up ya boy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no! noo!! i'll put it in the group chat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SB 1998 lol rip

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My man's out here killing groundwater districts

I don't think he's going to like where this ends up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god hahaha the loving balls on him for writing that reason out

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

beach house haver spotted

I'm just a temporarily embarrassed non-beach house haver.

Need that cap for the future beach houses I will most certainly have because of my firm hand shake and hard work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

While thing is important, it is not as important as thing I want, therefore thing cannot happen.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

It's a gently caress Cities bill - the Counties are already limited to the grants of power provided by the legislature. Home rule cities have much broader regulatory authority within their corporate limits which they're curtailing.

There were several other very specific gently caress Lina Hidalgo bills, some which passed (the ability of the SoS to overturn Harris County elections, banning the appointment of an Elections Administrator in counties with populations over 3.5 million) and some which didn't (making the Harris County Flood Control District and Toll Road Authority state agencies with boards appointed by the Governor).

Next session there will be a bill to vest all power of the Harris County Commissioners Court within the current officeholder of Senate District 7.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 15, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oh my god hahaha the loving balls on him for writing that reason out

He's putting it on all the statements for the revenge vetos

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

He's putting it on all the statements for the revenge vetos

There is one bill that is tax related that I am sitting here sweating out hoping it doesn't meet the veto pen before Sunday.

It had 100+ votes but I dont know the rules on that for vetoes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He can veto whatever the gently caress he wants

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1669459234281455619?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

This is all gonna get sorted on a Natchez sandbar

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's kind of grimly funny that the state government is melting down because the people in power, who are all members of the same party, couldn't work together and pass one of the easiest concepts to pass.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1669459234281455619?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

This is all gonna get sorted on a Natchez sandbar

Whoever loses, we win.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Well Greg - please be nice.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

zoux posted:

My man's out here killing groundwater districts

I don't think he's going to like where this ends up.

drat he shot a hostage

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hell yeah keep this up fellas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jake Gittes posted:

drat he shot a hostage

lmao

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
How many more does he have to get through by Sunday?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

leper khan posted:

How many more does he have to get through by Sunday?

He has infinite senate priority bills.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why isn't there some kind of legal requirement that legislative actions (bills) and executive actions (including vetos) be based on some kind of clearly stated, reasoned justification. "I'm blowing this thing up because something else happened that I don't like" is not a reasoned justification to do anything. It's barely one step removed (if that) from terrorism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In theory, the legislature can override the veto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This state is never turning blue lmao