Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Judgy Fucker posted:

And as far as the ??? rival for OU, it should be Arkansas: not much history but not none (11 total meetings, I think), and Fayetteville and Norman are closer to one another than either is to any other SEC town. But Texas and A&M both also want Arkansas, they both have a lot more history and there's no way they'd give Arkansas OU, Texas, and A&M as their three rivals.

Ahem Good Sir, Arkansas has another rival, with a big old gaudy trophy at stake every year.

No one from either school gives a single poo poo about this or the 'rivalry'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Ahem Good Sir, Arkansas has another rival, with a big old gaudy trophy at stake every year.

So I actually looked it up: OU and Arkansas have 15 meetings all-time. They were in the same conference for five years, the SWC from 1915-1919 and played annually during that time.

Mizzou and Arkansas have been in the SEC together for 11 years, and have played annually for the last 9. Want to guess how many all-time meetings they have? 14

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Hed posted:

Does the hog have a belly butt or is that just supposed to be a beefyporky lineman

https://twitter.com/GLedford10/status/1669178325103681536

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I didn't know they seriously did this twice for Arkansas

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Arkansas: The Pants of the Midwest.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I'm still mad that they didn't design them so that they can slot together into one Mega-Trophy if Arkansas wins both games that season.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

LOL, I guess I never really paid a bunch of attention to this game except for 3OT in 2007 or whatever but I didn't realize it was a state outline, I thought it was an actual boot for some reason. Next you're going to tell me the Northwestern/Illinois Hat is a Cook County outline or something.

It all makes sense now!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Can’t wait for the ND/A&M game. Two delusional fan powerhouses ready to square off. The winner of that game gets in the top 5 and thinks they have a shot in the playoffs before getting blown out by 30 the following week.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

LLCoolJD posted:

The combination of conference re-alignment and rule changes (shorter games, unfun OT rules, etc.) is a bit of a downer. An even bigger downer? The past 13 seasons of Florida Gators football.

I'm sorry but the games being shorter isn't going to be a problem. And the rules they modified will barely put a dent in it. The average game takes 3 hours and 22 minutes to finish. I am guessing the new rule will maybe shave off 5-7 minutes max. Theres just so many baked in time stoppages. And halftimes are 20 minutes. I'm really not worried about the game being a tiny bit shorter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

soggybagel posted:

I'm sorry but the games being shorter isn't going to be a problem. And the rules they modified will barely put a dent in it. The average game takes 3 hours and 22 minutes to finish. I am guessing the new rule will maybe shave off 5-7 minutes max. Theres just so many baked in time stoppages. And halftimes are 20 minutes. I'm really not worried about the game being a tiny bit shorter.

Like others have noted I'd rather it be five minutes at the end of the game rather than two for first down stopping the clock. But yeah for the majority of the game I don't care on that one.

Just occurred to me this could also lead to some incredible Army or Navy drives that take up a quarter and a half, which would be fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

Trying to imagine the thought processes that lead to concern over the prospect of the games shortening from 3:45 to 3:25.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

George H.W. oval office posted:

Can’t wait for the ND/A&M game. Two delusional fan powerhouses ready to square off. The winner of that game gets in the top 5 and thinks they have a shot in the playoffs before getting blown out by 30 the following week.

Sometimes ND don't get blown out that following week tho, sometimes it takes all the way until the playoffs

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Sounds like SDSU has asked for a month extension to the deadline to pull out of the MWC as they wait on a PAC 12 (probably) invite. I’m sure the MWC will be falling all over themselves to help out.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

General Dog posted:

Trying to imagine the thought processes that lead to concern over the prospect of the games shortening from 3:45 to 3:25.

The part that bothers me isn't the game itself getting shorter but that we're getting rid of game time to make room for more ads in the broadcast.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t really know any Aggies who I’d characterize as overly optimistic on a season to season or week to week basis. If Aggies are delusional, it’s in their conception of the program’s overall ceiling and floor, rather than being Charlie Brownian “surely this is the year” types.

To be an Aggie fan (or a fan of about 20 other programs) is to perpetually believe we’re just one good hire away from championship contention. The current coach is never getting us there, but get a real ball coach in there and wow, that could really be something.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 16, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

The part that bothers me isn't the game itself getting shorter but that we're getting rid of game time to make room for more ads in the broadcast.

I see this take a lot, but I think it’s really just cheap cynicism without a lot reason to think it will actually be the case.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1669773991303675918?s=61&t=-OhDRmMvDfNgn9XVyQEwmg

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Big 12: Aw, yeah, whatever, sure. Come on over.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I don’t really know any Aggies who I’d characterize as overly optimistic on a season to season or week to week basis. If Aggies are delusional, it’s in their conception of the program’s overall ceiling and floor, rather than being Charlie Brownian “surely this is the year” types.

To be an Aggie fan (or a fan of about 20 other programs) is to perpetually believe we’re just one good hire away from championship contention. The current coach is never getting us there, but get a real ball coach in there and wow, that could really be something.

I mean A&M can provably pull in the kind of talent needed to win a title and the coaching was definitely an issue last year. I don't think imagining the ceiling as championship contention (which I would argue is "makes the playoffs") is at all unreasonable especially when it goes to 12.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Big 12: Aw, yeah, whatever, sure. Come on over.

Don't stop I'm almost there

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I sure hope SDSU actually has a verbal invitation somewhere. Potentially blowing up your own conference with no sure home is certainly a dangerous game to play.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Soylent Pudding posted:

I don't think this is accurate. If we shorten games a bit then the next game is able to start on time. Basically the broadcast windows will be actual reality, no "this game is starting in espn Taiwan". The amount of ads is unchanged.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

drunk leprechaun posted:

I don't think this is accurate. If we shorten games a bit then the next game is able to start on time. Basically the broadcast windows will be actual reality, no "this game is starting in espn Taiwan". The amount of ads is unchanged.

There is no incentive for the broadcasters to change the broadcast window ten or twenty minutes shorter when you can fill that with more ad breaks and live reads

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

drunk leprechaun posted:

"this game is starting in espn Taiwan"

I actually laughed at this

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Soylent Pudding posted:

The amount of ads are baked in. I work in live sports broadcasting. There are x number of ads breaks allotted per quarter. If a game is really rolling in say, the 1st quarter and the don't get the ones they need in they can make up for it in the next quarter. If there's a serious injury that causes a stoppage they can burn more and get ahead of ad breaks going forward as well. They aren't shortening the games by 12 minutes of real time minutes so they can sneak in more ads. If they wanted to cram in more live ad reads, more on field ads, and more commercials they could do it whether games got shorter or longer regardless.

To me the craziest thing is broadcasters like ESPN and FOX still insist on their scheduling to lie to themselves and not give 3 and a half hour game windows. You'll look at their schedule for a random saturday and it'll say stuff like Texas @ Baylor starts at 12pm PT and then starting up after that is TCU @ K-State at 3pm PT. There is no way in hell that game is finishing in a 3 hour window. Sorry.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I see this take a lot, but I think it’s really just cheap cynicism without a lot reason to think it will actually be the case.

Every change has been twisted into an opportunity to monetize, why would this be different?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Every change has been twisted into an opportunity to monetize, why would this be different?

Well for one thing the rule changes are coming from the NCAA, which doesn't really get any cut of the TV money regardless. It's not like ESPN is picking up the phone to the rules committee and saying "hey, can you break off a bit more ad time for daddy?"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

You don’t think broadcasters have the ears of the NCAA?

Maybe I am cynical, but that’s what happens when I’ve broiled in the southern sun while the game is paused for goddamned commercial breaks.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
true the most hated man in any stadium isn't a player or fan of the opposing team

it's that rear end in a top hat with the big orange oven mitt

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

General Dog posted:

Well for one thing the rule changes are coming from the NCAA, which doesn't really get any cut of the TV money regardless. It's not like ESPN is picking up the phone to the rules committee and saying "hey, can you break off a bit more ad time for daddy?"

The ncaa might not get a cut but the people who changed the rules will with cushy do nothing jobs at the broadcasters in a few years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm interested to see if the coaches hate it and it goes away, like that year where the clock started before first downs it was impossible to do the classic defensive "three timeouts and I get the ball back."

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Now Im remembering that time Bielema pissed of Paterno and basically single-handedly killed the stupid "clock runs as soon as the ball is kicked on kickoffs" rule

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Where the gently caress is my NCAA ‘24

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Where the gently caress is my NCAA ‘24

In 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fast cars loose anus posted:

Now Im remembering that time Bielema pissed of Paterno and basically single-handedly killed the stupid "clock runs as soon as the ball is kicked on kickoffs" rule

That was the closest I've yet come to the unfair act penalty being called.

Repeatedly committing the same penalty to delay the game is explicitly referred to in the description of the rule.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What’s the penalty for that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Unclear as far as I can tell other than suspending the game to stop this shenanigans.

I'd imagine giving the receiving team the ball at the place of the kick would be what they'd end up on if it was called and they played on.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

Death

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

I had to look this up because I didn’t remember this from apparently 2006: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm

Now I want to see footage because this sounds hilarious in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Deion needs to get his foot amputated apparently

RIP, that sucks