Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Charliegrs posted:

This isn't exactly related specifically to the Trump trial but I'm sure it will be. So if lots of evidence gets shared in the public domain, like the news, then what is the point of trying to get some evidence inadmissible in court? Like the jury can't unknow something they saw on the news that was supposed to be evidence but now isn't. Do the jurors have to pretend they don't factor it into a decision when surely in the back of their mind they do?

That's the idea. Sometimes evidence will be presented during testimony in court and a side will move to strike it for various reasons. The judge will instruct the jury to not consider that statement/document/whatever in their deliberations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/meidastouch/status/1669393498389512192?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Giuliani is going to want to be really careful before attacking politicians for offshore bank accounts...

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lord Harbor posted:

This is something I've never understood. Why is it that both sides always try to get stupid jurors? Shouldn't they realize that a dumb person would be just as easy for the opposing attorney to sway against them?

In a case like this, where the law is 100% clear that Trump is guilty as gently caress, shouldn't the prosecution push for some smart, legally educated people on the jury who can just run down the list of charges and go, "Yup, that looks right"?

It depends on the case. Lawyers can be a problem on a jury sometimes because they are trained for "issue spotting," i.e., identifying every single possible legal issue that can potentially be argued under the facts presented to them. So some of them can get hypertechnical, think they have spotted something significant, dig in their heels, and refuse to comply with the judge's instructions about the law to be applied.

Most cases are pretty simple, and hinge on the facts of the accident, the meaning of the contract, etc. Which is part of the reason most cases settle (the cost of litigating is the other big reason). But some cases don't settle because one side is being completely unreasonable. A situation like a evil corporation that knows it is liable but wants it to be known that they never settle to discourage other lawsuits. Or a plaintiff's counsel that has a garbage case, but hoped for a quick settlement and now has invested lots of time and money into the case and is willing to roll the dice hoping to get lucky at trial.

In those cases, the side that knows it has a weak case wants ignorant jurors that they might be able to confuse or sway with emotional arguments, or something similar. And the side that thinks it has the strong case wants competent jurors.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I guess the internal decapitation finally took on this one, sad!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's crazy that the totally real person that definitely existed is now dead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rudy finally took his medication and his star witness vanished before his eyes. Clearly disintegrated by the villainous Democrats using their lead phantom operative, Hugo Chavez!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Randalor posted:

Rudy finally took his medication and his star witness vanished before his eyes. Clearly disintegrated by the villainous Democrats using their lead phantom operative, Hugo Chavez!

I thought they had gotten access to the Jewish space lasers?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Oh wow! What a shame!

Surely the guy left behind notes, recordings, a signed affidavit, something to prove your case? Maybe tell us who it was since he's dead and all and we can independently determine how he got his information?

Like of course you wouldn't just pin your entire case on someone nobody can confirm even existed, right?

Right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are we sure the guy is dead and not just visiting his girlfriend up in Canada?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What's funnier

Rudy's witness no longer exists

or

Rudy still exists

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Tayter Swift posted:

What's funnier

Rudy's witness no longer exists

or

Rudy still exists

Rudy's witness never no longer existing. There's nothing funny about Rudy still existing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nervous posted:

Rudy's witness never no longer existing. There's nothing funny about Rudy still existing.

Borat 2 was funny. And upsetting

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Clinton Kill List is undefeated imo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
e nm

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 15, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge Cannon jumpstarts oversight of Trump classified documents case with order on security clearances

quote:

US District Judge Aileen Cannon issued her first order since former President Donald Trump pleaded not guilty to charges brought by special counsel Jack Smith for allegedly mishandling classified information, instructing the parties to get the ball rolling to obtain security clearances for the lawyers who will need them.

In a Thursday order, Cannon gave “all attorneys of record and forthcoming attorneys of record” a Friday deadline for getting in touch with the Justice Department’s litigation security group so that they can expedite “the necessary clearance process.”

By June 20, she wants the lawyers to file a notice confirming they have complied with her instructions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol have fun, DoJ. They have to go root all around in their past and interview their whole families and such for that. What happens when they find out that one of them downloads movies illegally or smokes weed. Do they just not get clearance? Removed from the case? Kids' table in the courtroom?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mutata posted:

lol have fun, DoJ. They have to go root all around in their past and interview their whole families and such for that. What happens when they find out that one of them downloads movies illegally or smokes weed. Do they just not get clearance? Removed from the case? Kids' table in the courtroom?

I believe the DoJ hands off some clearance investigations to contractors. I'm not sure where the line is drawn (or if there is a line), but I have a feeling the DoJ will investigate these internally just to make sure there is no question about thoroughness. I wonder if that will draw Cannon's ire - especially if the DoJ says "Sure, it's going to take us 6 months, we'll let you know when we're done."

Can Cannon order the DoJ to expedite the process? Can it be expedited?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you’d read the quoted bits you’d know that the judge just wants the lawyers to start the process by talking to the DOJ (I’m sure they have some kind of fast lane process for this) and to let the judge know that they have complied. She’s not asking for it to be done, just for it to start.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you’d read the quoted bits you’d know that the judge just wants the lawyers to start the process by talking to the DOJ (I’m sure they have some kind of fast lane process for this) and to let the judge know that they have complied.

I did read the quoted parts. I'm speculating that the DoJ is going to handle these clearance investigations internally and what the repercussions of that may be.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yeah as much as Cannon sucks this seems pretty typical for a case like this.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ok, I have listened to this clip several times. It does not say that the "GOP witness who had all the Biden crime information" died. It says that Rudy claims to have a witness who was a Ukranian accountant and she was never contacted by anyone, and the person who died was a different person - her husband (the former head of Burisma).

Well,

1) that Ukranian husband (Mykola Zlochevsky) is actually not dead.

2) The big witness for the GOP is not that woman. The witness is supposedly a former FBI agent who got notes of all sorts of evidence on Biden, including tape recordings (no he doesn't have tape recordings, he says that someone else said there were tape recordings). He doesn't have poo poo - apparently the notes are all unverified raw intel, uncorroborated rumors, etc.

3) The FBI witness dude is not dead either.

Unless I am taking crazy pills, MeidasTouch has confused two completely different "witnesses" and also confused who is supposed to be dead.

Rudy's witness was probably a scammer trying to get money out of him and she is long gone. Comer's witness is probably a real FBI agent, but he's a chud who has no actual evidence.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah the tweet is wrong but so is Giuliani. "I handed over all of my concrete evidence to the FBI and they didn't do anything" does not tell me the FBI is biased and is letting it go, it tells me the FBI thinks the evidence is a goddamn joke.

Giuliani is a joke.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh no has Rudy finally lost his credibility?

If you are a whistleblower terrified of being killed by the Biden stormtroopers or whatever why wouldn't you just anonymously dump the poo poo on the internet. Yes I know the answer is because it doesn't exist.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Apologies if this was covered, playing catch-up, just post...

Lord Harbor posted:

This is something I've never understood. Why is it that both sides always try to get stupid jurors? Shouldn't they realize that a dumb person would be just as easy for the opposing attorney to sway against them?

In a case like this, ...
I've always interpreted this as:
* The most vocal don't want to deal with jury duty.
* 50% try to file the paperwork to get excused.
* Exemptions are more often granted for single points of failure, irreplaceables ("I'm the CEO", "I'm a doctor/psych with scheduled patients", "I have a conference in Antarctica", "I have a flight to meet in Spain", "I'm a single parent", "I'm a graduate student", "I'm one of three teams building a coronavirus vaccine")

Seated juries will therefore be tilted toward: Public sector, non-professionals and service workers, non/lower degree holders, or retired folks. Parents with non-infant/toddlers also seems likely, but single people as well maybe. (Pastors?) Now, combine this with demographics on race, education, earning potential... :(

I have one uncle who has worked for USPS for 20+ years. He's always been on juries when called, doesn't complain, is very intelligent, but has noted jury demographics tend to the lowest common denominator. There might even be 40% who aren't stupid, but the perception...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's why saying you are an expert at something related to the case
So much this. Honestly I feel like... narrowly interpreting some of their questions in the future because when I was in 16hr of voir dire the lawyers kept loosening their questions until someone spoke up. Mine was something like, "Is anyone a forensic psychologist? Is anyone a crime investigator? Is anyone a ballistics instructor? Does anyone know anything about ballistics?" Being the first person to put up my hand to such an open ended question, there was some banter about superpowers(knowledge)... It was the only time the entire room of 150 laughed.

That room was so cautiously morose otherwise because they were scared of jury poisoning. These Wu Tang type comments were forbidden. We had to leave early one day because a potential started crying about possibly seeing photographs, trauma, etc., so they decided to talk in private.

That was also the time a college guy answered "Does anyone know drug dealers?" in the affirmative. :laugh:

T jury... How are they gonna find a dozen people that can even sit in the same room together?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 15, 2023

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So they have to get security clearances, instead of having clearance? Isn't that an automatic 4mo delay? (Or 18mo with the usual process.) Is that before his lawyers can even look at the evidence, so the defense can't begin case preparation? (Or will claim they need 12mo after getting clearance)

And... erm, T doesn't have clearance so the defendant can't even look at details of the evidence? IE, Biden has to grant clearance on these specific documents before T can see them. :hampants:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I wouldn't make a very good juror because I'd never vote guilty for most crimes on account of being a prison abolitionist, but also because I would absolutely get booted out of the courtroom and held in contempt because I would be trying to get clarification on stuff given as evidence and as witness testimony and stuff. My autistic brain interprets the role as trying to deduce the truth of the situation and I'm far too far gone to accept that I have to work with whatis put before me and that I have to pretend I can and am following fictions like "I instruct the jury to disregard [damning piece of evidence]"

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 16, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ms Adequate posted:

I wouldn't make a very good juror because I never vite guilty for most crimes on account of being a prison abolitionist, but also because I would absolutely get booted out of the courtroom and held in contempt because I would be trying to get clarification on stuff given as evidence and as witness testimony and stuff. My autistic brain interprets the role as trying to deduce the truth of the situation and I'm far too far gone to accept that I have to work with whatis put before me and that I have to pretend I can and am following fictions like "I instruct the jury to disregard [damning piece of evidence]"

The noted documentary film Twelve Angry Men has taught me that you can absolutely do this! :perjury:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

So they have to get security clearances, instead of having clearance? Isn't that an automatic 4mo delay? (Or 18mo with the usual process.) Is that before his lawyers can even look at the evidence, so the defense can't begin case preparation? (Or will claim they need 12mo after getting clearance)

And... erm, T doesn't have clearance so the defendant can't even look at details of the evidence? IE, Biden has to grant clearance on these specific documents before T can see them. :hampants:

no interim clearances are a thing

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Quorum posted:

The noted documentary film Twelve Angry Men has taught me that you can absolutely do this! :perjury:
It's such a good setup except for the whole illegal detective work thing. "The jury is instructed to disregard the spare knife".

From Caine Mutiny we learn that trials of paranoid personalities hinge on them taking the stand.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ms Adequate posted:

I wouldn't make a very good juror because I never vite guilty for most crimes on account of being a prison abolitionist, but also because I would absolutely get booted out of the courtroom and held in contempt because I would be trying to get clarification on stuff given as evidence and as witness testimony and stuff. My autistic brain interprets the role as trying to deduce the truth of the situation and I'm far too far gone to accept that I have to work with whatis put before me and that I have to pretend I can and am following fictions like "I instruct the jury to disregard [damning piece of evidence]"

when I was on the jury we had ample opportunity to submit questions

can't help you with wacky disregard statements but they haven't come up for me personally yet

possibly because the only remotely spicy case i sat for was a burglar who cased the house competently but did not successfully notice the camera across the street with a clear and decent resolution view of his van and license plate as he was loading up the loot

we didn't deliberate very long

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Sorry since IANAL so might be a dumb question - I obviously know federal courts handle huge gnarly stuff all the time, this just seems extra huge and gnarly meanwhile Chudge Cannon is relatively inexperienced and this trial is undoubtedly the most sprawling, complex, and high-profile case she has overseen.

Given the nature of this, can she get additional resources to help her with this or does she do it all like it’s a normal run of the mill case? Will that lead to it taking longer since she and her standard team have to be doing a lot of heavy lifting on their own?

I know she doesn’t have a “manager” per se but is there someone she could go to for how to handle certain things or is it all “you should know what you’re doing at this level” and if you gently caress up, the sides will file motions and possibly appeal to get it resolved? I’m just trying to imagine the sheer logistics of handling something of this magnitude with the security clearances and everything else.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I would hope that her office still has career employees that know what they're doing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sticksy posted:

Sorry since IANAL so might be a dumb question - I obviously know federal courts handle huge gnarly stuff all the time, this just seems extra huge and gnarly meanwhile Chudge Cannon is relatively inexperienced and this trial is undoubtedly the most sprawling, complex, and high-profile case she has overseen.

Given the nature of this, can she get additional resources to help her with this or does she do it all like it’s a normal run of the mill case? Will that lead to it taking longer since she and her standard team have to be doing a lot of heavy lifting on their own?

I know she doesn’t have a “manager” per se but is there someone she could go to for how to handle certain things or is it all “you should know what you’re doing at this level” and if you gently caress up, the sides will file motions and possibly appeal to get it resolved? I’m just trying to imagine the sheer logistics of handling something of this magnitude with the security clearances and everything else.

She has a magistrate who is helping on the case. They handled Trump's intake.

That said, Federal Judges are treated as big boys/girls who should know what they are doing. They aren't entry level positions. The only oversight she has is at the appellate court level if someone appeals a ruling of hers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Second E. Jean Carroll defamation trial against Trump set for January

quote:

A federal judge on Thursday set E. Jean Carroll's second defamation trial against former President Donald Trump for early next year.

In a brief scheduling order, U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan said the civil trial will commence on Jan. 15.

Kaplan on Tuesday had granted Carroll's motion to file an amended complaint in the still-pending case against the former president seeking new damages of at least $10 million, based in part on comments Trump made during a CNN town hall last month.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would hope that her office still has career employees that know what they're doing.

Yeah, every federal court and most state appellate courts have some career attorneys working behind the scenes. I'm one of them (but don't always know what I'm doing )

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Donald Trump has identified a frankly novel legal strategy for espionage trials:

demand the federal government give you back the classified documents you stole

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am impressed at just how difficult that is to visually parse

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How does the Presidential Records Act and the Clinton Socks (?) case exonerate him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

How does the Presidential Records Act

He was the president and those were his records.

quote:

and the Clinton Socks (?) case exonerate him?
The Clinton case said Clinton could keep tapes he’d made of his thoughts in what he was working on ergo since Trump scribbled some poo poo on some of the classified docs they were his private notes so he should get to keep them.

Yes that’s it.