Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While that may be a shock this one wasn't:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1668423984814202888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm shocked it wasn't cancelled and pulled mid season.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It truly felt like one of those shows banished to a 11 pm slot on some forgotten channel. Did anyone actually watch it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

It truly felt like one of those shows banished to a 11 pm slot on some forgotten channel. Did anyone actually watch it?

I tried but it was just so lifeless. I know why they wanted to attach it to the Batman franchise but it felt like a generic CW superhero show with a soupcon of "also this person is named Stephanie Brown."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

All I remember was someone here giving it the glowing review that it wasn't abysmal, just regular bad

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Okay hear me out, how about we do a Batman show, but without Batman!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Okay hear me out, how about we do a Batman show, but without Batman!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the conditions of renewal was cutting down on series regulars and we already know General Lane as one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

One of the conditions of renewal was cutting down on series regulars and we already know General Lane as one.

So it got Supergirl'd. Although I guess that was more about moving to Vancouver and Calista Flockhart not wanting to come along for the ride.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are you forgetting about Pennyworth: the Story of Batman’s Butler or are you forgetting about Birds of Prey?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are you forgetting about Pennyworth: the Story of Batman’s Butler or are you forgetting about Birds of Prey?

I left out Pennyworth intentionally since its a period piece set before Bruce even exists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The problem with all these shows is they they have a Batman shaped hole in them. You've got all these characters who know Batman and the audience knows Batman exists in this universe and could conceivably show up at any moment. So the entire time you're like, I wish Batman was here.

They should do a show set in Gotham but none of the characters are even tangentially related to Batman. That way the audience won't expect Batman, and the little cameo in the season finale where you see him in silhouette and he delivers a single line of dialogue or whatever will feel like a nice treat instead of a weak payoff.

My suggestion, a home renovation show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That issue, to the degree it does exist, isn't anything to do with the characters being related to Bats. The setting itself primes people to expect him.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’ve heard that there can’t be a live action Batman show due to the screwy rights dating back to the 66 Batman show. That’s how we’ve had Batman shows with different characters as Batman, like Arrow.

Is that 100% true? I dunno.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I mean Gotham's series Finale had an episode with him finally as Batman.

Also the COIE event has batman

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman is the worst part of the Bat Family. Gotham Knights has the right idea conceptually, a world after Batman, they just chose poo poo characters instead of the ones people want to see.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

X-O posted:

Batman is the worst part of the Bat Family. Gotham Knights has the right idea conceptually, a world after Batman, they just chose poo poo characters instead of the ones people want to see.

This is categorically untrue, in no world am I interested in seeing Spoiler or Azrael get into a sword fight with R'as Al Ghul

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They continue to fight against what the people truly want: Wayne Family Adventures.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I feel like you need Batman around to show why Nightwing and the Batgirls are more fun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Secret Invasion review embargo is lifted.

Reviews are mostly positive, but somewhat mixed.

Biggest complaints are that it is "too dour/dark" and that the first two episodes are slow starts that don't reveal much.

Biggest praises are that it is "mature" (I'm guessing this is for people who like "dour/dark"), the cast - especially Sam Jackson and Olivia Coleman - turn in extremely good performances.

The big dividing line seems to be people who like the slower pace and darker tone and people who think it is too slow and "dour" compared to other MCU TV entries.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1669022801318092814

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I would be perfectly pleased with the MCU intentionally incorporating more tonal breadth in these projects, because we were getting to a point where this stuff was at risk of entering self parody territory as regards its seeming aversion to let a single moment of tension or discomfort hang for more than two seconds without undercutting itself (looking at you as the most glaring example, Love & Thunder).

Notable breaths of fresh air for me were No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, and Guardians 3, which were all willing to have moments of real unpleasantness, character imperfection that felt intentional and of a piece with their arc, and occasional revels in some nasty and mean spirited fun. Green Goblin blew up Aunt May and stabbed Tobey Maguire! Scarlet Witch turned into a Deadite and blew up a man's head! Rocket ate someone's face and then that guy murdered an entire planet of sentient animal people! That poo poo ruled!

For lighter toned pieces to feel like anything, I think it's important to have some grit with which to contrast them. Not everything needs to have the "feel good romp" dial cranked to eleven all the time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Moon Knight was also great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

So it got Supergirl'd. Although I guess that was more about moving to Vancouver and Calista Flockhart not wanting to come along for the ride.

Yeah Callista Flockhart had a few guest appearances later on, so I doubt there was any bad blood when she left.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean Gotham's series Finale had an episode with him finally as Batman.

Also the COIE event has batman

He was in Titans as also Batman, though it was a dream sequence of Dick's

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You can do a Bat family show without Batman, Knights' problem was that the acting and writing looked like absolute dog poo poo, even for a CW show

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

A good version of Birds of Prey would be cool too. I think it's been long enough since the 90s show that the name isn't poison

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is categorically untrue, in no world am I interested in seeing Spoiler or Azrael get into a sword fight with R'as Al Ghul

I am! (You did choose two of my favourite characters tho so)

Air Skwirl posted:

A good version of Birds of Prey would be cool too. I think it's been long enough since the 90s show that the name isn't poison

I feel like the movie just completely slid out of people's memories (I never saw it though).

I think you can do a good Batfamily series without Batman, I feel like the problem with the ones they keep trying is that it needs to feel natural, and these all feel like "we're not allowed to use Batman, so we're gonna do the next 'best' thing" rather than a genuine story about disparate people who have been brought together by a weird father figure who are trying to figure out what to do now that said father figure is gone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

catlord posted:

I feel like the movie just completely slid out of people's memories (I never saw it though).

I thought it was decent enough, but it's really a Harley Quinn movie not a team movie, and I think most people who do remember it will remember it as that as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax posted:

You can do a Bat family show without Batman, Knights' problem was that the acting and writing looked like absolute dog poo poo, even for a CW show

Especially Duela Dent as the 'wild' one.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Saw the first two episodes of Secret Invasion: really good performances by all, but it feels like "my first grown-up BBC spy drama". It's an okay version of that, but it doesn't exceed what it sets out to do, like an Andor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought it was decent enough, but it's really a Harley Quinn movie not a team movie, and I think most people who do remember it will remember it as that as well.

BoP was actually one of the better DC movies and it got completely memory holed which is a shame. The action sequences were fun and the characters were great and the actors were clearly having a blast. I will admit I found the Harley stuff a bit grating (gimme a Huntress movie instead) but it really deserves more praise than it gets.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rosie Perez not being the DCEU's street-level connective tissue is a drat shame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Madkal posted:

BoP was actually one of the better DC movies and it got completely memory holed which is a shame.

It had the misfortune of coming out right before the world ended.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was the last (major) release I saw in theaters that year.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arist posted:

It was the last (major) release I saw in theaters that year.
Honestly a much better note to go on than Rise of Skywalker

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Speak for yourself, I saw Bloodshot as my last film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I would be all about a Mary Elizabeth Winstead socially awkward Huntress movie.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Timby posted:

It had the misfortune of coming out right before the world ended.

lol. I tried to go see Birds of Prey, but the only cinema I was willing to go to is in another town (the cinema in my town was utter poo poo. It's shut down now), and my train ended up getting cancelled because someone threw themselves in front of it at the next station up.

Then everything shut down the next week and I missed my chance. I was really pissed off about that, but mostly because the last film I saw in a cinema was Rise of Skywalker, and I couldn't let that be the last thing I saw, I was desperate to go see something else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't remember which I saw first, but yeah the last movie I saw before COVID was either BoP or the new Little Women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
You could have just said BoP