Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

NihilCredo posted:

My favourite is still the shitpost/fanfiction from last year with all the post-Putin leaders:

More CK3 than HOI4, really. But the flavour text is great.

that artstyles straight fron hoi4 mod TNO actually
its an althist 50s coldwar mod where the axis powers won then start to fall apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Those are usually put into businesses and property registered on EU nationals so doing anything to them is way harder than harassing a visa holder for easy cheers

personally, i'd more concerned with say, how spd keeps getting funding to do their thing and zeman's finances. and yeah, almost all the russians i know here are anti-regime. it's a really terrible call on his part, thank goodness, it's just grandstanding and not policy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

this is gross, don't do what russia actually does to its own citizens too

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Off the top of my head, in addition to the V-hull -

* Wheels and other undercarriage bits are often designed to cleanly detach under blast. Not only does this minimise the overall degree of deformation of the hull when a wheel is ripped off, but allowing these objects to be accelerated in a preferred direction can reduce the overall impulse
* Front wheels and other bits are often mounted well forward of any crew-occupied area, so if you run over a mine then it doesn't detonate directly under an occupied compartment
* Internal floors are often separate from the hull itself; this ensures that you're not standing on the load path from a deformation of the hull
* Seats are mounted to the walls, not the floor, for the same reason
* Spall liners to catch fragments
* If I recall correctly, some vehicles have blowout mechanisms to rapidly equalise the pressure in the cabin if the floor does deform, thus limiting the overpressure on the crew

STANAG 4569 requirements deal with vehicle protection against mines and blast, and the top-level test schema is for a 10kg TNT (or equivalent) charge buried under wet, sandy gravel for maximum slug formation and impulse loading. It does not gently caress around.

This is the kind of nerdy poo poo I love, where someone studied something for real with the real scientific method and wrote a loving manual. Regulations are written in blood and nerd flopsweat.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

this is gross, don't do what russia actually does to its own citizens too

Agreed that it is gross, agreed that Russian citizens don't need extra scrutiny, but lol if you think most of these states don't already excessively monitor every citizen. Like, y'all forget why Snowden is even in Russia to begin with?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Agreed that it is gross, agreed that Russian citizens don't need extra scrutiny, but lol if you think most of these states don't already excessively monitor every citizen. Like, y'all forget why Snowden is even in Russia to begin with?

edward snowden, famous czech whistleblower.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not surprising. There's always been a palpable sense of waiting for an excuse to start lashing out against Russians "at home". The common perception is that Russians in Czechia are just mobsters, gentrifiers, rent seekers out to use their questionably obtained wealth from Russia to buy and exploit vast swathes of property to the locals detriment. Obviously that doesn't describe most Russians, but you can't underestimate the long simmering hatred that permeates society.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FirstnameLastname posted:

that artstyles straight fron hoi4 mod TNO actually
its an althist 50s coldwar mod where the axis powers won then start to fall apart

I think it’s more CK than HOI because the setup is less for tanks and planes and more for locking people in dungeons and being your own grandpa.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, it sure is just that wacky European turbo-rascism why almost every country in the Eastern Europe is very critical and careful on how they deal with the Russian state, and its citizens living in their country.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, it sure is just that wacky European turbo-rascism why almost every country in the Eastern Europe is very critical and careful on how they deal with the Russian state, and its citizens living in their country.

should they deal with muslims like this? After all some muslims committed terrorist attacks in europe

No they shouldn't, it absolutely is racism

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NoiseAnnoys posted:

tbf robert kraft also really loving sucks, just not as badly, so it's more like a "root for injury" situation where i wish that both of them had combusted on contact.

Kraft got a hand job so amazing to him he thought the masseuse must have been madly in love with him and not that he was introduced to a rub and tug

Me thinks Putin didn't have to really outsmart him to get his super bowl ring

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Like, y'all forget why Snowden is even in Russia to begin with?
Based on his tweets, he went home after his mission ended.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

It's not surprising. There's always been a palpable sense of waiting for an excuse to start lashing out against Russians "at home". The common perception is that Russians in Czechia are just mobsters, gentrifiers, rent seekers out to use their questionably obtained wealth from Russia to buy and exploit vast swathes of property to the locals detriment. Obviously that doesn't describe most Russians, but you can't underestimate the long simmering hatred that permeates society.

exactly. which is why it's so weird that our racist far right here gets so in love with putin because it's not the sort of poo poo you'd expect to fly given 1968 and so on.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Perhaps the most valuable aspect of new Western kit:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1669381431372525570?t=HA2vjt9fgj5-YqwYN9Vwaw&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

yes of course they do but we do not have to cheer it on or give it any kind of vocal support

Also Russia loves using "there are Russians living in X place, they must be defended" as a justification for all kinds of poo poo, this is a big reason why neighboring countries are wary of this issue. But this doesn't mean you single out and scrutinize the Russians there, it means you tune your foreign and defense policy to be able to deal with that risk if it ever becomes necessary.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 15, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/politics/us-government-hit-cybeattack/index.html

Lmao okay let's launch a cyberattack against the United States. That'll go over well for you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao okay let's launch a cyberattack against the United States. That'll go over well for you.

Have they ever stopped?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

HonorableTB posted:

Hate to break it to you but cnn got all confused by modern technology on this one. The vulnerability affected many organizations, some of which may be run by the government, and was not a targeted, coordinated "hacking" attack.

Russia, China, and the US are all hunting for targets across the Internet that are vulnerable to this exploit. Categorizing a 0 day as a "international cyber attack against the US" is loving dumb.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hate to break it to you but cnn got all confused by modern technology on this one. The vulnerability affected many organizations, some of which may be run by the government, and was not a targeted, coordinated "hacking" attack.

Russia, China, and the US are all hunting for targets across the Internet that are vulnerable to this exploit. Categorizing a 0 day as a "international cyber attack against the US" is loving dumb.

Lmao drat with this context that article might as well be fanfiction. Jesus cnn

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Shinjobi posted:

Have they ever stopped?

No. No they have not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not to mention - these attacks happen daily, this is just a spike in activity.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

He's the next prez

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1669406158468071436?s=20

lol

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
It’s funny how casually these boomers just own the Russians. Like it comes so naturally to them after growing up in the Cold War.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
War noob here, can someone explain why Ukraine seemed to telegraph it's counteroffensive so far in advance?

I assume they only share Intel like that in ways/situations that will benefit them, so it just to gently caress with Russia and make them guess where/when it's coming? Or to force them to pump the brakes on their offensive in order to prepare for the counter?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not like they can hide that they want to push the Russians back out

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Szechwan posted:

War noob here, can someone explain why Ukraine seemed to telegraph it's counteroffensive so far in advance?

I assume they only share Intel like that in ways/situations that will benefit them, so it just to gently caress with Russia and make them guess where/when it's coming? Or to force them to pump the brakes on their offensive in order to prepare for the counter?

They didn't share anything important, it was months of "any day now", which isn't useful to the enemy. Besides, everybody knew Ukraine had to make a move or be stuck in a disadvantageous stalemate

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Szechwan posted:

wholly for domestic consumption to keep western countries paying attention

russia's military in ukraine isn't making any decisions or looking for intel from news coverage

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if a kid is rockin a big zed on his car I'm gonna egg it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Egg them kids

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

They didn't share anything important, it was months of "any day now", which isn't useful to the enemy. Besides, everybody knew Ukraine had to make a move or be stuck in a disadvantageous stalemate

They also didn't probably know exactly to what extend their papers were leaked in that Discord leak in March(?) so they more than likely had to change the original dates, original plans, and muddy up the waters because someone in the Kremlin did read those files, but were they believed or acted upon was a big question mark.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

https://twitter.com/lilia_yapparova/status/1669335245840334849

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Waiting for TASS to run an article stating that the USA confirmed 50,000 Ukrainian vehicle tank losses

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Considering a name change to NATO minister

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Wanna nail this tweet to James Burton's door.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If that was a bmp3, or even t-80, it would of immiediately exploded, killing the crew. Its cheaper to the glorious soviet union to pay death in service benefits than lifelong disability :science:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Ever played Elden Ring, where the bosses telegraph their attacks so far in advance that you keep trying to block or dodge it but it only comes after you've exhausted yourself waiting for it and you eat poo poo?

Ukraine has played Elden Ring is what I'm saying.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Kchama posted:

Ever played Elden Ring, where the bosses telegraph their attacks so far in advance that you keep trying to block or dodge it but it only comes after you've exhausted yourself waiting for it and you eat poo poo?

Ukraine has played Elden Ring is what I'm saying.

Russia stopped funding their training program in the CS:GO era. Ukraine kept up with modern developments. The results speak for themselves.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tai posted:

Doing surveillance on people because they are Russian is gross and loving wrong. There is no way to justify it. Ever.

I've been noticing attitudes (not here) are starting to get a bit blase and to just blame Russians for stuff. Please point out to people that this is putins fault not the Russian public. Some do support it sure, they can gently caress off but millions don't and can't do much about it. Tarnishing Russian people with something they can't control is gross and needs to be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Wanna nail this tweet to James Burton's door.

Taking a break from being a big brained war understander smugly using terms like ‘disruption zone’ which I definitely didn’t learn only a day ago to start talking about how bad the Bradley is using my main source, Pentagon wars. I am definitely not a complete rube.