Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have to include the detail that he edited this tweet, meaning it was theoretically harder to read when he first posted it.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingIsKing/status/1669335318749749248

No one has ever been madder online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Is it bad that when he said "Ryan the poo poo stain" I missed the punctuation and thought he was talking about Ryan Satin?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I have to include the detail that he edited this tweet, meaning it was theoretically harder to read when he first posted it.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingIsKing/status/1669335318749749248

No one has ever been madder online.

Rare to see them admit that AEW isn't going away any time soon and is in fact growing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

Is it bad that when he said "Ryan the poo poo stain" I missed the punctuation and thought he was talking about Ryan Satin?

I read it and looked at who he was quote tweeting to see if it was Satin confused why he was mad at Ryan, then figured out what he meant. Then when I reposted it here my brain read it again as Ryan Satin.

Also does The Chris Regal Memorial Thread:i ain't here for followers:I'm here for me. fit?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Their idea of the "casual fan" is someone who doesn't watch wrestling, but if the scroll through the channels, they'll stop and watch.

And to them, they think a guy talking in the ring is more likely to get them to stop channel flipping instead of someone doing a sweet rear end shooting star press.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I got into wrestling as a kid because while channel surfing I saw a Vader squash match with no context other than a big scary looking dude beating the ever living poo poo out of a smaller dude.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

His name is finlay, but why does he love to fight

Not knowing why one shouldn't "go messin' with a country boy" prevented me from ever getting invested in Hillbilly Jim as a kid. Maybe if they had constant recaps covering it, and the announcers kept expounding on the premise at length

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shard posted:

The first full show I watched of wrestling was the WCW Nitro after Hogan and the nwo had formed and it was all about how no one knew who to trust and who might join next and I didn't know who anyone was but I thought it was real captivating.

When Scott Hall showed up on Nitro and said "You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here." I immediately turned the channel and never turned back because I didn't know why he was there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

When Scott Hall showed up on Nitro and said "You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here." I immediately turned the channel and never turned back because I didn't know why he was there.

lol ok this really cracked me up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wrestling doesn't need context. I was at a tiny show with fewer than 100 people this weekend and saw a dozen outraged, crying preteens form a mob and chase a victorious heel out of the room because he cheated to win against a generic babyface who they didn't know even existed 15 minutes earlier.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Wrestling doesn't need context. I was at a tiny show with fewer than 100 people this weekend and saw a dozen outraged, crying preteens form a mob and chase a victorious heel out of the room because he cheated to win against a generic babyface who they didn't know even existed 15 minutes earlier.

But see, if you'd have had several promos and recaps about it, it wouldn't have been a tiny show with fewer than 100 people. It'd have been an arena show filled with tens of thousands of people, many of them casual viewers! :eng101:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

But see, if you'd have had several promos and recaps about it, it wouldn't have been a tiny show with fewer than 100 people. It'd have been an arena show filled with tens of thousands of people, many of them casual viewers! :eng101:

Just put up the flyers!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You would think the complaint that too much stuff happens on AEW and too many people show up without explanation would contradict the complaint that AEW doesn't tell enough stories. You would think it can only be one or the other.

You would think.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

You would think the complaint that too much stuff happens on AEW and too many people show up without explanation would contradict the complaint that AEW doesn't tell enough stories. You would think it can only be one or the other.

You would think.

Thinking seems to be their main issue

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

theoretically a ton of people being around for no reason except to do moves to eachother would highlights how few stories there are rather than being contradictory in some way. makes sense to me. just not applicable to aew. not a fan of this stuff. new slant needed

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/wrestlingnewsco/status/1669398663544619037?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/cloonatic/status/1669153007777501184

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

theoretically a ton of people being around for no reason except to do moves to eachother

not for nothing but this is one of my favorite parts of the whole wrestling thing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

WWE known for taking a hardline stance on rapists

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

LMAO why would that stop WWE?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wwe is weird and arbitrary with when they care about that stuff and when they don't. worst(??) case scenario is they'd wait for someone else to trot him out for a public appearance then pay him a shitload of money to do a saudi show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/SeanzviewEnt88/status/1669453503058825217

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I saw another tweet earlier and this whacko had probably 15 separate replies to the same tweet. Just completely unhinged behavior.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what does 'tony is paying' mean? hes paying wbd to put the product on tv?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

post hole digger posted:

Yes, the implication is it is a time buy

If it was it seems like the sort of thing someone on the WBD Side would leak

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

post hole digger posted:

Yes. Some have also reportedly produced evidence he pays Dave Meltzer to say nice things about AEW.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

post hole digger posted:

Yes, back in the day instead of the network buying wrestling programs, Vince and smaller promotions would sometimes buy timeslots and then sell the advertising themselves to recoup some of the expense, but largely used it as commercials for their ppv or local shows -and would use broadcast figures in advertising and negotiating their other TV deals.
They're convinced that's what Tony is doing. But instead of buying say Saturday afternoon or late night, he's buying prime time slots. It's a galaxy brain take, and how they explain wbd being happy with Tony.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

do time buys even happen anymore? It feels so out of the 80s/90s

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

do time buys even happen anymore? It feels so out of the 80s/90s

They do but usually for b-league sports.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

paying meltzer off is one thing, that doesn't seem like anything new, but paying to put the product on tv doesnt seem like something that would happen to me? that seems crazy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

post hole digger posted:

paying meltzer off is one thing, that doesn't seem like anything new, but paying to put the product on tv doesnt seem like something that would happen to me? that seems crazy

It also would make no sense for how heavily protected Tony has kept AEW packaged to TBS/TNT in regions that carry them. If he was just doing a time buy, he'd be incredibly eager to sell AEW subs in the US. Similarly WBD wouldn't give a drat if the shows were streamed over another service if it was just an infomercial slotted in primetime.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

post hole digger posted:

you are indeed in the thread where we post people saying very stupid and crazy things

"AEW is a time buy" has been an astroturfed line of attack since before the first episode of Dynamite aired

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Actually Tony pays them to broadcast AEW so he can launder money. He pays TNT dirty money and then gets clean money from the ads. Why exactly TNT takes dirty money isn't the concern of wrestling journalism but I think it's because they pay Tony back the dirty money for ads on AEW, thus magicking money out of thin air.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

They do but usually for b-league sports.

Oh, so AEW

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/SeanzviewEnt88/status/1669487170980126720

He's just a little guy. :(

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
"tony is paying" sounds like an accusation, not an opinion. should be called seanzaccusations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
accusations. SEANZ accusations

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

I saw another tweet earlier and this whacko had probably 15 separate replies to the same tweet. Just completely unhinged behavior.

he also posted this at the same time as those infinite anti-aew tweets

https://twitter.com/SeanzviewEnt88/status/1669193706044260353

deranged guy even by this threads standards

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 16, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yea ok posted:

i like him

i blocked him because i was trying to read that thread he responded to 15 times, but after checking his profile and seeing the six selfies he's posted in the last 24 hours, i think he's good now