Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Smugworth posted:

I'm a new user

can an admin mod this new user please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone ask Alt-F4 to come in and make avatars for Reddit newbies. Or did they flame out due to schizophrenia / butt-chugging / volunteering in Ukraine as countless goons must have by now?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Someone ask Alt-F4 to come in and make avatars for Reddit newbies. Or did they flame out due to schizophrenia / butt-chugging / volunteering in Ukraine as countless goons must have by now?

i haven't heard from altf4 in a long time, im not sure where he went ~_~

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Regis Christ posted:

Reddit just pushed out an update to their official app that completely broke loading subreddits or posts for me, even after a reinstall. I guess I’m done.

:lol::lol:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Reddit has a large userbase and makes decisions that expand its userbase!

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy
Long live these dead forums.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
the first day of the "blackout" I checked RIF maybe 10 times out of habit, deleted it the next day. I've been scrolling that poo poo for probably a cumulative hour a day for the last 10 years so boy am I happy to have that time back

Gunuku posted:

Long live these dead forums.
:yeah:

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

buglord posted:

Hello new refugees from Reddit. I want to first say, suck the poop out of my butthole.
The noise this sentence made was someone using one of those pneumatic pipes they have at mail places.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Bad Purchase posted:

new users should be forced into service as moderators for 4 years before they become a member in good standing

Aren't there laws against cruel and unusual punishment?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Montague Tigg posted:

the first day of the "blackout" I checked RIF maybe 10 times out of habit, deleted it the next day. I've been scrolling that poo poo for probably a cumulative hour a day for the last 10 years so boy am I happy to have that time back

:yeah:

Yeah it's somewhat scary how often I fire it up with muscle memory when I'm bored.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Nowher posted:

Yeah it's somewhat scary how often I fire it up with muscle memory when I'm bored.

Me too. I swapped it's app spot with the awful app which helped stop that muscle memory. Keeping the rif app to see the devs goodbye message and then uninstalling it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MuadDib Atreides posted:

makes decisions that expand its userbase!

[citation needed]

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lusty Grundles posted:

The noise this sentence made was someone using one of those pneumatic pipes they have at mail places.

That’s the default background noise all around here, so have fun!

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008

Nowher posted:

I keep looking down at my phone to see that Apollo is open but I have no memory of touching the icon at all. It's so strongly embedded in my brain that I just unconsciously swipe up to go to the home screen and then my thumb directs itself right to reddit. :ohdear: I hope this brain damage is reversible with enough bong rips

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Snoring posted:

I keep looking down at my phone to see that Apollo is open but I have no memory of touching the icon at all. It's so strongly embedded in my brain that I just unconsciously swipe up to go to the home screen and then my thumb directs itself right to reddit. :ohdear: I hope this brain damage is reversible with enough bong rips

I was doing the same. But then I deleted it. RIP. Someone buy Christian a forum's membership.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
https://twitter.com/aaronp613/status/1669464567074680835

yikes

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008

Our users rely on this cat pic subreddit and as such we will be reopening it and executing the former moderators. /r/animefeetpics mods take note

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Is this unexpected? What did they think would happen when closing these large subs indefinitely? Maybe the mods should just delete their accounts and never visit reddit again. Ofc they won't though.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Is this unexpected? What did they think would happen when closing these large subs indefinitely? Maybe the mods should just delete their accounts and never visit reddit again. Ofc they won't though.

i mean... not really. they're just finally saying the quiet part out loud i guess

reddit sub owners have been operating like they fully own the spaces for years, and may just now be realizing that they exist on the goodwill of a conde nast subsidiary

ed: oops sorry a Advance Publications subsidiary, i'm operating on 2011 knowledge apparently

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Instead of waiting it out for a few days or even a week or two, giving users time to get annoyed by not having their spaces and turn on the protest, they are going to force it through immediately and give them more to rally around? That’s some genius level poo poo right there

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

but why would they even need to take action, they said yesterday that revenue wasn't affected by this

so what's the harm in letting it continue?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
how angry do I have to make someone to get a new avatar. I paid for this one a long time ago and man do I regret it.

I ain't paying again tho.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

feverish and oversexed posted:

how angry do I have to make someone to get a new avatar. I paid for this one a long time ago and man do I regret it.

One time I got a red text for talking about kimchi a few times in the CostCo thread

They were too lazy to add an image :whitewater:

I subsequently talked about kimchi near daily and got everybody hooked on Jongga (the one with two "g"s) brand kimchi so I guess it was a positive

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Bad Purchase posted:

but why would they even need to take action, they said yesterday that revenue wasn't affected by this

They’re probably telling half truths. Two days isn’t a long time for advertising dollars to change but two months maybe.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

revenue by way of SEO is going to be effected, big time. basically anybody who is searching for "HOW TO BAKE A REALLY GOOD PIE" is getting turned away from any reddit pages that they might have read and stayed on (and made an account!) because of the whole "this subreddit is under blackout" message

smallscale this is not a huge problem ,in the grand scheme 2 days would make no difference

way bigger problem once it turns away search robots enough times to affect page rankings and cause semi-permanent SEO deficits
(which will in-turn piss off your sponsors + advertisers, many of whom rely on the the community data you can provide, such as with /apple/ or whatever)

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2023

Owlaholic
Sep 12, 2015

muffin night, motherfuckers
My partner has been telling me for years this place is better than Reddit. I made an account years ago, but haven't posted much.

I read this earlier and swear this dude is brain dead. Reddit CEO Steve Huffman: 'It's time we grow up and behave like an adult company'. My partner said he was a mod of r/jailbait. Seems like a wonderful person. Lol

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if the strike continues reddit has no choice but to forcefully open [some, but to appear unbiased they will do all of them] communities, probably temporarily suspending the mod teams along the way. it will be pretty interesting, i guess.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I really thinking the writing on the wall is that they're just going to demod and reopen the bigger ones, the smaller ones will get replacements by hobbists eventually, and then it will slowly go the way of literally everything else and get shittier and shittier.

I'm getting my tinfoil out that all the major ways to communicate and share news are getting shittier/full of bots (twitter etc)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What market does twitter cater to now that I’m getting ads for granny bras

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Tiny Timbs posted:

What market does twitter cater to now that I’m getting ads for granny bras

feel like you've answered your own question

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

I moved the Awful app to where Apollo was on my home screen and now I have different place to get my dopamine rush when I pull my phone out reflexively :dance:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Porstuve posted:

I moved the Awful app to where Apollo was on my home screen and now I have different place to get my dopamine rush when I pull my phone out reflexively :dance:

You should try the Awful App for Android it's even better than the iAwful app

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the front page should really redirect to the user control panel page and not the forums

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

feverish and oversexed posted:

find a cspam thread that's avatar happy. see if you notice a trend of insufferable posters having similar avs, figure out what thread they're posting in and post there. same as the homestuck avatars of yore

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Porstuve posted:

I literally did the same thing today

The Voice of Labor posted:

the front page should really redirect to the user control panel page and not the forums

Just change your SA bookmark to go to the user cp

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Porstuve posted:

Here I am trying to figure out what’s going in Apollo’s place because I already have Awful and Apollo living next to each other in the dock :(

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

:gb2reddit:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hardawn posted:

Sounds like a lot of posters need to develop the galazy eye scroll.

The second your eyes start to glaze over and droop from reading someone's effort post you immediately scroll down or thumb up(mobile users).

Same way with the mega threads. Oh 500 posts behind? Conversations poo poo on page 4327 go ahead and skip to 4331 and re-engage.

I'll go to the last page then go like a page or two back to catch up on the conversation

Sorry posters from 600 posts ago I will never read them

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Not surprising but the metrics must have looked really bad these last few days. The user support for the shut downs seemed strong so the first forced reopening should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Here I am trying to figure out what’s going in Apollo’s place because I already have Awful and Apollo living next to each other in the dock :(

Two Apollos!