Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

What always gets me is that on the surface, it seems like the Germans had a masterful plan to overextend the Allies, attacking into Norway and the Netherlands, but apparently these were all sort of slapdash spur of the moment things. Just like how the Germans didn't intend to draw the best of the British forces in the Western Desert into Greece, they just sort of invaded Greece spur of the moment and it had the side effect of making Rommel's reputation.

Like Penisaurus Sex said, the Wehrmacht generals leaned the gently caress into this postwar, when the Americans asked them leading questions about their brilliant grand strategy.

ee: And so in WW3, 2 CMBG, the Royal Marines and the USMC were supposed to race to Norway because naturally the Soviets would attack there to settle the issue of Central Europe.

Lol now I have to ask did the US base all of its ideas on a WWIII scenario in Europe around what the Germans told them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

Lol now I have to ask did the US base all of its ideas on a WWIII scenario in Europe around what the Germans told them?

yes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Part of the training school is getting to know US customs and culture. That sounds so lovely

Thats where they indoctrinate you against anything vaguely left wing. It's a vital component of the US making Nazis everywhere

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Raccooon posted:

they appointed a bunch of ex nazi generals into high posts in NATO and everything.

so yes 100%

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Raccooon posted:

There was no actual WW3 scenario in Europe.

The plan was that if the Soviets actually pushed the Fulda gap then NATO would gently caress around for a bit and inevitably just nuke everyone and everything.

That this was based on a drastic overestimate of Soviet military capability is probably not great but also every plan the US came up with post-WW2 ends with "And then we use nukes."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

they just went the long way round via belgium which didn't have fixed defenses right?

which prompts the very smart current suggestion to "go round the back" via belgorod or belarus whatever, which also has fixed defenses

Just go around the east of Belarus. Wherever that is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1669443607986851843

F-16s are going to end up flying low and slow just like their inferior-in-popular-imagination Soviet jets against Russian AD.

The kicker would be if he was taken down by friendly SAM or something

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have no special knowledge, but my feeling is that Russia has set itself up for a long, bitter, war. Europe and the USA played their cards, the decoupling has began, the bi polar world is forming, and Russia cast its lots with the other side. The country has lurched into a major adjustment and change to the global landscape. A sad, tragic, bloody, adjustment. I don't really see any near term end, just slow protracted bloodshed. Russia will do what they can within their capability to make an example. How much is within their power? No idea. But they have all the time they want, really, while Ukraine doesn't. They were doomed from the start of course, one way or another.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The kicker would be if he was taken down by friendly SAM or something

Maybe he just forgot how to fly the old Soviet planes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BULBASAUR posted:

I have no special knowledge, but my feeling is that Russia has set itself up for a long, bitter, war. Europe and the USA played their cards, the decoupling has began, the bi polar world is forming, and Russia cast its lots with the other side. The country has lurched into a major adjustment and change to the global landscape. A sad, tragic, bloody, adjustment. I don't really see any near term end, just slow protracted bloodshed. Russia will do what they can within their capability to make an example. How much is within their power? No idea. But they have all the time they want, really, while Ukraine doesn't. They were doomed from the start of course, one way or another.

Well that's kind of the tragedy. I mean in the long run, who knows what would have happened had they properly committed at the start, but now they're not going to risk anything fancy that might end the war quickly, and thousands of Ukrainians will die that otherwise wouldn't've

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's the one thing that didn't change.

Kremlin didn't want to commit to a total annexation back then, and it still doesn't.

It's entirely possible that they would end the war right now if they terms were acceptable.

But how they will be forced to go, and where this war ends, only time will tell.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

i pray that Russian libs can get over their love of hamburger and 'European culture'

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.rt.com/russia/578042-russia-nuclear-weapons/

An interesting--and insane--article that Russia must use nuclear weapons to put the fear of God into the West. I don't think Putin would consider it since Russia would be instantly alienated. But kind of spooky something like this is being expressed openly.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Raccooon posted:

God drat. I had never even heard that the US was asked to just take over in the early days

Because Rumsfeld rejected the Taliban's surrender back in 2001, that's the main reason their leadership survived , kept fighting, and went on to retake the rural areas so quickly.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Ghetto Prince posted:

Because Rumsfeld rejected the Taliban's surrender back in 2001, that's the main reason their leadership survived , kept fighting, and went on to retake the rural areas so quickly.

Rumsfeld was a real piece of work

the dumbest smartypants nerd of all time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Raccooon posted:

God drat. I had never even heard that the US was asked to just take over in the early days

I don't know about that but there were saurites still left in Kabul who saw the occupation as a way to educate women, also people in rural regions thought the US would free them from the taliban only to find out about drone strikes + their local taliban shitheads switching sides.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the iraq war had so many good idiot grifters

remember Ahmed Chalabi just lying his rear end off to goad the US into giving him stupid amounts of power

Paul L Bremmer being a classic suit dummy in way over his head, doing that extreme debaathification and firing all the bus drivers and teachers and poo poo because they technically had to be in the party because they were a part of the civil service apparatus

heck of a job!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

FacelessVoid posted:

An interesting--and insane--article that Russia must use nuclear weapons to put the fear of God into the West. I don't think Putin would consider it since Russia would be instantly alienated. But kind of spooky something like this is being expressed openly.
Good to see that Rime landed on his feet as an op-ed writer. Unfortunately he seems to have gone soft :sad:.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Jun 16, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

remember Ahmed Chalabi just lying his rear end off to goad the US into giving him stupid amounts of power

Paul L Bremmer being a classic suit dummy in way over his head, doing that extreme debaathification and firing all the bus drivers and teachers and poo poo because they technically had to be in the party because they were a part of the civil service apparatus

heck of a job!

The college age kids who got sent to Iraq to modernize it's stock exchange that refused all the Iraqis who said hey we cna get this up and going with chalk boards so they just didn't have one due years, and these kids previous job experience had been selling ice cream is one of my favorites

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

heck of a job!
This is what happens when you get told how denazification worked by american public schools and never bothered to check the nato leadership yearbooks to see what actually happened with those guys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

putin...good???

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

if the maginot line extended all the way thru belgium then germany woulda been hosed

Yeah turns out a wall of guns just works better when you don't leave the side gate open. The lesson learned however was that all walls of guns were useless so when one was finally encountered with a closed side gate much consternation ensued.

"Where is the side door Hans? We were supposed to manueavre!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

putin...good???

Well I'd trust him with kids. So that's one distinct advantage over our own leadership team.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

The Oldest Man posted:

This is what happens when you get told how denazification worked by american public schools and never bothered to check the nato leadership yearbooks to see what actually happened with those guys

This was mostly Doug Feith who Tommy Franks called the dumbest motherfucker on the planet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

putin is like the santa clause of russian cancer children

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

i pray that Russian libs can get over their love of hamburger and 'European culture'

One nice thing about not having any real beliefs is it’s easy to adapt.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

the imaginot line

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
FF, what's the link and title of the article you quote 4,5 pages back? Good article but i can't find the first part of your post?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

This was mostly Doug Feith who Tommy Franks called the dumbest motherfucker on the planet

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Good articles on the current constitution of Azov and its relations with western backers

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1669150863196037121

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

I went to grad school with a woman who had babysat Feith's kids some years prior. She didn't know much about him, and I didn't have the heart to tell her.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FacelessVoid posted:

They just moved their tactical nuke stockpiles into Belarus

I think the deployment of low yield nuclear weapons against hardened positions is very plausible before the end of this war. Provided they're not nuking a civilian population center they would probably get away with it in the short term and deal with it in the long term by paying for cleanup in negotiations

NATO fielding depleted uranium rounds in this conflict sets the norm imo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
unless russia is actually losing crimea or something, theres no reason for them to nuke anybody unless you think theyre literally crazy people

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Well I'd trust him with kids. So that's one distinct advantage over our own leadership team.

lol I think someone was posting a few pages ago about how Putin kissed a boy on the stomach or something?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nigel thornberry posted:

lol I think someone was posting a few pages ago about how Putin kissed a boy on the stomach or something?

he got it out of his system

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Putin has tried being the cold rational chess master and it isn't working, now he wants to try Nixon's madman method

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tired: Arms gap
Wired: Age gap

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nigel thornberry posted:

lol yup

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

unless russia is actually losing crimea or something, theres no reason for them to nuke anybody unless you think theyre literally crazy people

thats whats so funny about all of this, the majority think putin is an insane evil mastermind - why wouldn't be launch nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Putin kissed me too