Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Kit Nubbles posted:

Okay, goonmind, help an old goon out.

In the late 80s/early 90s there was a PBS ad break/promo that was a lot of hip hop stars (I want to say maybe Run-D.M.C., Kid n' Play) in addition to Penn and Teller, who said "I'm Penn, this is Teller. Stay Fresh".

I cannot find a video, or even reference to this online. I know the rough time period, know it was on PBS, but I cannot find a reference. Does anyone remember or maybe point me at a PBS archive?

Here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard

I am shocked and amazed. Holy poo poo. Thank you!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If there's anything we've learned in this thread it's that youtube search sucks so much that if you search for, say, "PBS Stay Fresh" it won't surface a video that has all those words in its title.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Yes but what of all the "influencers" who want to tell you third hand information about other "influencers"? Youtube has to show you all their recycled tiktok content first. What, you think they can just promote themselves? Oh, it's their job is it? So I guess you just want a single loving thing to do with the internet to not suck loving rear end, do you?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kit Nubbles posted:

In the late 80s/early 90s there was a PBS ad break/promo that was a lot of hip hop stars (I want to say maybe Run-D.M.C., Kid n' Play) in addition to Penn and Teller, who said "I'm Penn, this is Teller. Stay Fresh".

I love that Run DMC were BFFs with Penn & Teller :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-O5IHVhWj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghfkoBMGwFA

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I might've asked this here before I don't remember.

It was a website called "nowhere" or "no-one" or something. It started as a silhouette of a person sitting at a computer from the side. White background. You could scroll vertically through words and select one, with each scroll there was a keyboard typing sound. Each page had a moth motif that would take you back to the start. You could click through words and view black and white photos, I think. It all felt very melancholy and lonely. Early 2010s probably.

e: i posted it at least twice lol. someone must know it! I'm sure i came across it here!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
I was on an awful English game show when I was a young teen and it was called Lanjam

would love it to appear online but it never will

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

eating only apples posted:

It was a website called "nowhere" or "no-one" or something. It started as a silhouette of a person sitting at a computer from the side. White background. You could scroll vertically through words and select one, with each scroll there was a keyboard typing sound. Each page had a moth motif that would take you back to the start. You could click through words and view black and white photos, I think. It all felt very melancholy and lonely. Early 2010s probably.

e: i posted it at least twice lol. someone must know it! I'm sure i came across it here!

I'd like to apologize for all this.

Think outside the box.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crystal Thenis posted:

I was on an awful English game show when I was a young teen and it was called Lanjam

would love it to appear online but it never will

The Vintage Videos channel on YouTube seems to have multiple complete episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrifpQeccIo

A couple of other channels also appear to have a few complete episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HDjPCFOlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKKRCzjLQI

If you can recall what else appeared in the show, we may be able to find the specific episode you were in. Some of the episode descriptions contain keywords. It looks like the show only aired in 2003 for a single season, so the total number of episodes made might be quite small.

My query was "lan jam citv" as it appears to have appeared (heh) on something called CITV, which seems to be a children's TV channel not unlike the Nickelodeon of my own cheap and nasty youth.

Note that it appears to be titled "LAN Jam" - the proper name of the show is not a compound word. This may aid searches.

All else fails, you might consider writing to ITV and asking if they still have a copy in their vault. You never know, they may be nice about it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eating only apples posted:

sounds like an ARG

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

How in the gently caress

It's this!! It doesn't seem to work properly now, and has been updated a lot in recent years, but this is definitely what I was thinking of. Thank you so much

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

The Vintage Videos channel on YouTube seems to have multiple complete episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrifpQeccIo

A couple of other channels also appear to have a few complete episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HDjPCFOlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKKRCzjLQI

If you can recall what else appeared in the show, we may be able to find the specific episode you were in. Some of the episode descriptions contain keywords. It looks like the show only aired in 2003 for a single season, so the total number of episodes made might be quite small.

My query was "lan jam citv" as it appears to have appeared (heh) on something called CITV, which seems to be a children's TV channel not unlike the Nickelodeon of my own cheap and nasty youth.

Note that it appears to be titled "LAN Jam" - the proper name of the show is not a compound word. This may aid searches.

All else fails, you might consider writing to ITV and asking if they still have a copy in their vault. You never know, they may be nice about it.

oh my god, yes!! this is the show but sadly my episode isn’t up there.

I got through to the last round and got absolutely destroyed because I’m terrible at tennis games.

the winner took pity and gave me the GameCube games from the winning bundle. filming was a blast, but it came out months after we filmed it and in hindsight, way too much pressure for a kid. I just wanted to win a PS2.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crystal Thenis posted:

oh my god, yes!! this is the show but sadly my episode isn’t up there.

I got through to the last round and got absolutely destroyed because I’m terrible at tennis games.

the winner took pity and gave me the GameCube games from the winning bundle. filming was a blast, but it came out months after we filmed it and in hindsight, way too much pressure for a kid. I just wanted to win a PS2.

Here's one more I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GTFNgJ46mI

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I've been looking for a specific article of clothing.
It's a La Parka hoodie.

La Parka is a dancing skeleton wrestler man

About 5 years ago on eBay I stumbled on a zip up hoodie that had the same accents and styling as La Parkas gear but have had no luck tracking it down.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hey I am looking for a funny youtube video/person. It's a blonde american guy with a mustache, and in the particular video I want to find he has his mom filming him while he waves a miller lite around acting outraged and disgusted at the state of his childhood home, making his mom laugh. I think it's a schtick the guy has done in other videos too. Would love to show it to my own mum :)

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Turpitude posted:

Hey I am looking for a funny youtube video/person. It's a blonde american guy with a mustache, and in the particular video I want to find he has his mom filming him while he waves a miller lite around acting outraged and disgusted at the state of his childhood home, making his mom laugh. I think it's a schtick the guy has done in other videos too. Would love to show it to my own mum :)

That would be popular YouTuber Gus Johnson

https://youtu.be/igT8XYYhkmo

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Vulgar posted:

That would be popular YouTuber Gus Johnson

https://youtu.be/igT8XYYhkmo

Thank you Vulgar!!

edit: my mom laughed her head off ty

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 12, 2023

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard

Oh man! I knew that Run DMC had SOMETHING to do with Penn and Teller, but I think my memories got merged. Thanks for the catch!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Thank you so much for trying to help, this is closer than I’ve managed to get before … it might be time to write to them and see if they can supply any further episodes! Would love to see it again.

Thank you ☺️

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
This scrapper lad's playing a tune I almost recognize but can't place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLBjScgb7o&t=165s

The performance is too grotesque for apps to recognize. I've been trying to figure this out for a while.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

All You Can Eat posted:

This scrapper lad's playing a tune I almost recognize but can't place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLBjScgb7o&t=165s

The performance is too grotesque for apps to recognize. I've been trying to figure this out for a while.

He composes his own stuff so I don't think it's a tune you'd otherwise recognise.

That first little progression definitely sounds like A Whiter Shade of Pale though.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
back in the early 2010s there was this political youtuber (republican I'm guessing) who would rant about poo poo for 3 or 4 minutes and his face would always turn super red everytime. Younger me though it was the funniest poo poo, does anyone know who I'm talking about?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is there an invader zim episode where zim looks up from something and says "eehhh?" as if he suddenly heard a sound, then slapstickedly gets nailed by something? I can hear it in my head but I'm not sure if it's real

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there an invader zim episode where zim looks up from something and says "eehhh?" as if he suddenly heard a sound, then slapstickedly gets nailed by something? I can hear it in my head but I'm not sure if it's real

is it one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85l08-JFDic

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This is a complete shot in the dark, but when I was a kid, my grandmother gave me a bunch of coffee table photography books from a garage sale. A couple of them were about Japan, one specifically was huge, the dust cover was black, except for gold text that said Japan (or maybe Samurai?) across the top, it may have been called Japan the coffee table book but I'm not sure, and the picture on the front was a shinto monk (I think). Its not the Encylopedia of Japanese martial arts. It must have been from the late 70s or early 80s. The book was easily a couple hundred pages of text and museum quality photographs first about the history of Japan, and then describing the manufacture, training, and use of Japanese weapons in exhaustive detail. This included all the samurai stuff and Bushido, but there was also a section about karate and the various martial arts that rose up from farm implements.

The book was physically huge, like maybe 18"x24"? and hundreds of pages. I dont know if it was an actual coffee table book or not.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I don't think so, the one I'm thinking of he raises his pitch at the end and it's a long one. "eeeeeh-eh?". But wow, I didn't realize he says "eh" enough for a dedicated video

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't think so, the one I'm thinking of he raises his pitch at the end and it's a long one. "eeeeeh-eh?". But wow, I didn't realize he says "eh" enough for a dedicated video

Yeah it's kind of like asking for a scene where Homer says "Doh!"

Edit: I don't mean to discourage you though. I promise someone on this forum has encyclopedic knowledge of that show and knows the answer.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah unfortunately it's practically Zim's catchphrase so it's really hard to tell. I might do a rewatch soon, I'll try and let you know if I spot it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Here's a white whale I found for myself. I remember seeing this image and laughing a lot. Sometimes it pops into my head. It was in the thread Unintentionally funny memes from the internet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I seem to remember there being a thread for old SA stuff you can't remember, but I can't find it, so I have a request on behalf of a friend who's not a goon. She remembers a spooky/creepy (calls it a creepypasta) front page article written as a series of how-tos, with one part about plants. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great (betting Zack Parsons wrote it, but when I think creepy Zack stuff I think of the prison series.)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

I seem to remember there being a thread for old SA stuff you can't remember, but I can't find it, so I have a request on behalf of a friend who's not a goon. She remembers a spooky/creepy (calls it a creepypasta) front page article written as a series of how-tos, with one part about plants. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great (betting Zack Parsons wrote it, but when I think creepy Zack stuff I think of the prison series.)

Instruction for a help https://www.somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arivia posted:

at a first guess I'd say that was part of the STATE OG series

e:gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thank you!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

thank you!

yw. it's my favorite front page series so honestly thanks for the reminder to reread

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My white whale is finding the magic way to get Parsons writing again. I adore his stuff. It’s creepy in a very unique way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Domus posted:

My white whale is finding the magic way to get Parsons writing again. I adore his stuff. It’s creepy in a very unique way.

Doesn’t he write sci-fi novels now?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A particular MST3K episode; don't remember the season. It was a black and white sci-fi film that had the Polovetzian Dances (Strangers in Paradise) throughout the entire film. The music was so overused that Tom and Crow commented on it. I know it's not much to go on but mostly what I remember about the episode was that music playing constantly through the film.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 16, 2023

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A particular MST3K episode; don't remember the season. It was a black and white sci-fi film that had the Polovetzian Dances (Strangers in Paradise) throughout the entire film. The music was so overused that Tom and Crow commented on it. I know it's not much to go on but mostly what I remember about the episode was that music playing constantly through the film.

Fire Maidens of Outer Space

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

cookiefulloarsenic posted:

Fire Maidens of Outer Space

You're good. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Here's a bit of an obscure and maybe impossible one! Can anyone identify what old film this clip is from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmL7gBezIpQ

Backstory, I've got a compilation CD with loads of obscure but sometimes good songs on (the trip by saint Etienne) and this is one of the songs on it. Had a look on YouTube to see if there were any other songs by the singer and noticed this video someone had made.

I thought one of the dancers might have been Judy garland but hard to tell with the quality of the clip.

Looks like someone has asked the uploaded a few years ago where the clip came from but no reply.