Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fezz posted:

They're talking about the planetary background essays in Arcanum Unbound.

I see. that's okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I love that the exact second you know what to look for his references become obvious as hell. It really improves the rereads of his series.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly Dawnshard probably has the most interesting details that don’t mean anything without other Cosmere context, IMO

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Honestly Dawnshard probably has the most interesting details that don’t mean anything without other Cosmere context, IMO

Dawnshard also features a whole heaping bit of the Cosmere’s best character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I forgot where in the series you learn who the in-universe author of the Arcanum is. Or is that only known through interview questions?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Dawnshard also features a whole heaping bit of the Cosmere’s best character.

Chiri-chiri?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Well of Ascension chapters 39-48 (Part 4)

Hell yeah the politicking is basically over! :woop: Not terribly surprising that Straff has Penrod by the balls, but by the end of this section Straff has much bigger problems with Zane having a lot of very knifey ideas, and then dies. Which, gotta say, hilarious that Vin runs to Elend and says "I killed your brother" as a way of informing him that he even has a brother.

I thought he'd stick around longer but I am not sad to see Zane gone. Definitely got a lot of questions about him, from "God" changing his tune at the end and even telling Zane he wasn't crazy, and the Inquisitor style spike, but only one? I am curious if the spike and voice are related. I expect the voice to show up again though.

OreSeurTenSoon is much more heartwrenching though. He really did bond with Vin at the end, willing to give up the kandra secret just to keep her alive. I hope we see him again.

I really thought for a second that Sazed knew the location of the Well, he knows so much else, and it matched the map in the book. I guess that map is just the Sazed map that he draws to trick Vin. She's gonna be so upset when she realizes he lied, I guess that does seal that we're not seeing the Well in the book titled "Well of Ascension".

So many questions though, where the gently caress is Marsh? Was he the Inquisitor spotted in the city? Who ripped the pages? Were they trying to hide the line or draw attention to it? When will Straff finally just die? Did Vin take the atium that Zane had?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welcome. By finishing this section, you have just crossed the border into The Sanderlanche. Strap in.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

Welcome. By finishing this section, you have just crossed the border into The Sanderlanche. Strap in.

Listen, if they get to the fake Well of Ascension, find the Terrisfolk, then get to the real Well of Ascension all in the last 10ish chapters I'm gonna wonder what the hell Brandon was doing with the rest of the book

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

pik_d posted:

Listen, if they get to the fake Well of Ascension, find the Terrisfolk, then get to the real Well of Ascension all in the last 10ish chapters I'm gonna wonder what the hell Brandon was doing with the rest of the book

Welcome to early Sanderson, after the Mistborn trilogy, he gets better at pacing.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mordiceius posted:

You know those roller coasters that have brakes right at the top where the front cars hang just past the launch point to increase the thrill after a painfully long lift hill?

That's the Sanderlanche for Well of Ascension. The next update is going to be incredible

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah despite the slow parts and things that drag he definitely knows how to stick a landing on a book, for the most part.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm pretty sure the term Sanderlanche started around this point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

I can't wait to see your reaction to the rest of the book. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Brandon could for sure have cut some of the more boring stuff, but some is very necessary to setup the Sanderlanche properly.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

immoral_ posted:

Welcome to early Sanderson, after the Mistborn trilogy, he gets better at pacing.

Even Mistborn's was better than Elantris, though he still has a lot of setup even in his latest books.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finally got my hardcover Frugal Wizard's Guide and holy moley, the ebook version didn't do justice to how much the illustrator went above and beyond. Every few pages has doodles in the margins

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The .PDFs of the books have all that. They're the closest to reading the physical copies.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Well of Ascension chapters 49-56 (Part 5 +1 chapter)
I really thought Part 5 would be the entire rest of the book, guess I'll be posting today and tomorrow when I finish.

Not surprised Tindwyl didn't want to leave with Vin and Elend, especially since she probably knew he was bullshitting about the Well's location. Allrianne on the other hand has surprised me over the course of this part of the book, legitimately caring about Breeze. I figured she was just using him. It's still hosed up given their ages but hey, allies.

The mistmonsters or whatever that just form outlines in the mist and can use Allomancy are confusing. One was in the city watching over Vin, grabbed her arm which hurt but didn't stab her or anything. Then some out in the outer Dominances are killin people, my theory is that it targets non-Allomancers. Then one shows up to Elend and points north. I think it's various former Allomancers. Lord Ruler, Kelsier, maybe others. I just wIsh they could communicate better.

The battle for Luthadel seemed particularly brutal, I did enjoy getting to read about how awesome Sazed was. He really is better than he thinks he is. Shame about Tindwyl, Dockson, and Clubs but they all knew the danger, it would have been cheap if everyone survived.

Vin also continues to be amazing, from figuring out how to reverse juggle those horseshoes for fast traveling to realizing that yes actually the koloss can be controlled like the kandra. And thank gently caress Straff is dead, shame Cett didn't also die, Allrianne would have been a much better ally as a head of house.

I know Sazed is convinced Vin is the Hero of Ages and it makes sense. She's the main character, main POV, hears the thumping, is a super powerful Allomancer, but my book reading senses are screaming "it's a trick!!" and that the Hero of Ages is actually Elend or possibly Sazed. The prophecies are loose enough that both of them also can fit as the Hero.

Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, Spook.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I think you are going to have a blast going back and seeing how your predictions match what happens.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've read the synopsis to refresh my memories of what happens in each chapter, and you picked the perfect point to stop. It gets so crazy, beginning with the next chapter.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oh poo poo I did actually forget the Inquisitors. I think the footsteps Vin saw in Kredik Shaw are Marsh, because I don't want him to be part of the Terris eugenics project. I also think they want Terris/Keeper blood to make another Lord Ruler.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Well of Ascension chapters 57-Prologue

Sad Sazed is just so depressing. Though I guess Tindwyl helped him figure out that there was a problem in the end. I have to admit I also missed the "Holy First Witness" connection too, given what I now know about the prophecies that somehow makes even less sense. There's a lot I still don't understand.

Vin thinks about the Lord Ruler, I'm wondering if he was doing something to keep the Well from filling. Was he taking the power every so often to keep it low and keep himself powerful? Or was there some other method of suppression? It filling after his death probably isn't a coincidence.

Sazed gets to meet a Mistmonster! I should probably stop calling them monsters, but honestly they keep killing people so who knows. Sazed thinks of it as a mist spirit. Based on TenSoon's mention, Feruchemists and Allomancers are both of Ruin, with the connection to metal and "God" talking to anyone with spikes. Kandra, mistwraiths, and mist spirits are all of Preservation. Though the mist spirits are the most confusing, they seem contradictory, some helping some just killing. Maybe that's in response to Ruin wanting to escape from its jail. That really is the thing that bothers me, how are the mist spirits targeting people? I first assumed it was anyone who couldn't become an Allomancer, and maybe that's it, but why? It could just be random I suppose. It also now makes less sense that mist spirits are former Allomancers since the two are almost certainly of different shards. Maybe the soul doesn't care, only the body. And while I understand the mist spirit attacking Elend at the Well to try to get Vin to help him, was the mist spirit attacking Elend during their journey the same thing? Trying to piss off Vin so she'd use the Well to stop the mists instead of releasing Ruin? I could think about this in circles forever, but I'll just RAFO instead.

Anyway, Marsh! I'm counting this as confirmation that "God" aka Ruin is talking to the Inquisitors too. Probably more strongly than Zane since there's more spikes. The fact that Marsh is sorry, yet still "has to" kill Sazed gives me hope of redemption, especially since he escaped after being defeated.

Statlin City is circled and therefor important. Got it. Except I can't see Statlin City on the map? What? And then another metal? Do I hear 15 metals? I'm going out on a limb and saying that since this one grants Allomancy it doesn't have to have an alloy, though if there was one it would either grant Feruchemy or more likely take away Allomancy.

Anyway, Ruin. God. He's got the ability to flip bits in metalminds. He's got the ability to rewrite rubbings that's on paper? That part was confusing. Either way, very big "Dark One" vibes. Touching the world but needs to be released by mortals. Then after Ruin was freed the mist spirit was adamant that Vin save Elend, which tells me that the mist spirits still have hope that Ruin can be defeated. Even with the Ruin/Preservation thing I still have hope that the one helping them was Kelsier.

Edit: Forgot some stuff

I predicted Elend was a Mistborn very early in book 1, and was wrong. Now I'm right. Feels weird.

The end of this book has a new Allomancy table with Electrrum, which never showed up in this book, that feels weird, but I did believe that an alloy atium did exactly what that metal does, so that's cool.

And where the gently caress was Hoid??

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 18, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a short story as part of Ars Arcanum that goes into a great deal of background things from book 2, DO NOT READ IT YET not till at least the first trilogy is done, but it's packed with answers to like a dozen of your questions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

socialsecurity posted:

There a short story as part of Ars Arcanum that goes into a great deal of background things from book 2, DO NOT READ IT YET not till at least the first trilogy is done, but it's packed with answers to like a dozen of your questions.

"Short story" but yeah. It's a novella. "Mistborn: Secret History." Don't read it until after book 3 of Wax & Wayne (Bands of Mourning).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah I've seen that suggestion before and that's how I'm planning on doing it. I am (more or less) planning on reading everything in release order going forward. It's pretty interesting that Secret History came out 2 days after Bands of Mourning by the looks of things? The only exception is that I've seen also that it makes sense to read all the system essays in Arcanum Unbound after Rhythm of War. And also I'll just read White Sand in one go probably.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

"Short story" but yeah. It's a novella. "Mistborn: Secret History." Don't read it until after book 3 of Wax & Wayne (Bands of Mourning).

Ha I was measuring thing on a Sanderson scale.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love the interludes in Stormlight Archive. It’s like a little short story to break up the reading!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Yeah I've seen that suggestion before and that's how I'm planning on doing it. I am (more or less) planning on reading everything in release order going forward. It's pretty interesting that Secret History came out 2 days after Bands of Mourning by the looks of things? The only exception is that I've seen also that it makes sense to read all the system essays in Arcanum Unbound after Rhythm of War. And also I'll just read White Sand in one go probably.

I don't even want to hint why Secret History came out 2 days after Bands of Mourning, but it made a lot of sense!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh it's simple. Brandon was stalled on shadows of self so he wrote bands of mourning first to unjam himself without telling anyone
So he submitted his final draft of shadows of self to his editor and then at the end of it snuck in a full additional unannounced novel.

They thought it was funny enough that they wanted to do that to the fanbase too, which they did with secret history

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I'm halfway through Tress and I've almost hurled my kindle across the room three times. The earregardless "joke" may have been the last straw.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sounds like you didn't like the tone.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MartingaleJack posted:

I'm halfway through Tress and I've almost hurled my kindle across the room three times. The earregardless "joke" may have been the last straw.

Tress certainly has a feel to it, while I enjoyed it I'm not certain I would ever want him to make another in that vein.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Tress certainly has a feel to it, while I enjoyed it I'm not certain I would ever want him to make another in that vein.

Having read both Tress and Alcatraz 1-5 in short order, I recommend you stay away from the latter.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

Having read both Tress and Alcatraz 1-5 in short order, I recommend you stay away from the latter.

I'm just about done reading book 5 to my kids and while there are fun moments, Sanderson accomplishes so little with how many words is in each book. There are moments of fun but lots of meandering when it comes to the plot, and the footnote jokes don't translate well when reading out loud.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
They were also miserable to deal with in e-book form. It was amusing how the text in a couple of places was changed to match the format of the book you were using. But I would have liked to see whatever pattern Alcatraz mentioned that used the font size and line width to make a shape using characters on the page. Couldn’t get it to work with my electronic copy.

Overall it’s Sanderson’s most juvenile work, by far. That doesn’t make it bad, but it does mean you can’t go in expecting Stormlight, Mistborn, or even Tress and come away happy. In terms of the relationship between narrator and reader, though, it felt a lot like Tress but dialed to 11.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Yeah I bounced hard off a lot of his YA stuff, I was semi-onboard with the Cytonic stuff until book 3 felt like yet another retread.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
WTF @ the Tosher chapter. WAY WAY grosser than anything Brandon's ever written.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Hero of Ages Prologue - chapter 13 (Part 1)

At the very beginning I was thinking the epigraphs may have been Rashek, then Vin, but now I'm pretty sure it's actually Sazed based on the speach patterns and who has been named. Sazed definitely needs to go on a journey before he gets there though, he's lost his faith in a bad way.

Very cool to see some POV chapters from Marsh, if only to confirm some things about how exactly Ruin controls him (completely, unless he's not paying attention), Hemalurgy, and all the extra spikes. I'm not really sure about his plan to lull Ruin into ignoring him is going to work. Interesting that they can collect powers from Allomancers and Feruchemists.

It makes sense that Elend is stronger than Vin because he's essentially an original Mistborn from the bead (15th metal by my count). However, it feels wrong that Vin, the main POV across the trilogy, is not the strongest anymore. She's got some unique things like the connection to the Well, but I felt like that would come with a level of power that wouldn't be surpassed by any of her allies. Either way, I am enjoying this whole "finding caches left by the Lord Ruler (?) plot, can't wait to see what's in the final one.

I'm glad that electrum can block Atium since the team doesn't seem to have any, despite the fact that they should have been able to collect Straff's and Zane's caches of it after last book. Why is that just not a thing? Those two 100% had Atium and it straight up disappeared from the plot.

I'm also liking that TenSoon is still going to be important, it definitely didn't feel like he was gone forever in the previous book. Claiming that Vin is now "Mother" in the way that the Lord Ruler was "Father" is a big balls move, I'm guessing some of the younger generation are going to like what he had to say and help him out. I also think that the 1st generation is dead or controlled by the 2nd generation. "They talk through us" sure buds. Sure.

Also a koloss named Human, absolutely love it. I'm looking forward to that developing more. What can Vin learn from him, and what can he learn about being human?

This book has been off to a great start, every chapter is interesting. Stuff happens, or we learn about some of the lore, it's great. Enjoying this much more than last book at this point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elend is stronger but Vin is more skilled and comes of it more naturally I'm glad they kept her number 1 like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. Elend has more pure strength, but in a 1v1, Vin would annihilate him.

Raw power is fine but if you can't use it effectively, you'll get clowned.