Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Google has a history of handing over users personal data to police without a warrant, which is something that shouldn’t be encouraged whenever possible, especially when it’s some of my most personal data out there.

Also, I realized why I hate most non-iOS designed apps, and Android in general - bottom navigation behavior and remembering your last prior interaction. One of my biggest pet peeves with apps like Instagram and Twitter is when they reload a screen and throw me back to the top.

Bottom navigation Behavior

I get what you're saying but if im committing a crime I am not punching in the address of the victim/drug deal into the widely-known-to-not-respect-privacy maps app.

unless using GPS to find local bars and restaurants and go on camping trips is illegal i dont give a poo poo if google is handing info over to the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Laserface posted:

I get what you're saying but if im committing a crime I am not punching in the address of the victim/drug deal into the widely-known-to-not-respect-privacy maps app.

unless using GPS to find local bars and restaurants and go on camping trips is illegal i dont give a poo poo if google is handing info over to the cops.

I’m doing anything illegal, either, but considering we are living in a era where data used to get trans care or an abortion is being weaponized, I just don’t feel comfortable with a company like Google having any geolocation data from me, unless absolutely necessary.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I’m doing anything illegal, either, but considering we are living in a era where data used to get trans care or an abortion is being weaponized, I just don’t feel comfortable with a company like Google having any geolocation data from me, unless absolutely necessary.

I agree with you, and I send my condolences that you live in the US. But we dont have those problems here and Im not risking being led 30min in the wrong direction by Apple Maps again or the only crime I'll be committing is murdering the Apple Maps team.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

ssb posted:

I live in the blue ridge mountains and there are many dead zones here. Until Apple Maps allows maps to be downloaded, it’s not getting used.

Offline maps were announced at WWDC for the next iOS release: https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/7/23752555/apple-maps-offline-navigation-ios17

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Nice. I’ll give it a try then, it’s baffling how that wasn’t added years ago.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Corb3t posted:

At least we can turn off location history and take Google's word that they are not persisting it on their servers. I mean, they'd be violating so many GDPR rules if they didn't they'd owe (even more) billions to the EU if they cheated on that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've stopped being able to trust Apple Maps navigation for important routes. Half the time it will simply not give me the audio cue for an exit, and sometimes it gives it to me when I'm already halfway down the off-ramp having taken the exit anyway because I knew from other sources that it was the exit I would have to take.

It was never better than a Garmin from 2005 imo but lately it's been actively getting worse

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

phosdex posted:

idk if its my phone, or google maps, or my car, but sometimes in my miata google maps is just blank. Cannot do anything with it at all, but Apple Maps will work fine.

This happens to my partner's CarPlay with Google Maps and it's downright infuriating. Sometimes she'll hit "Go" and it will just go blank and she'll have to disconnect her iPhone's cord and enter the directions again for it to work.

Data Graham posted:

I've stopped being able to trust Apple Maps navigation for important routes. Half the time it will simply not give me the audio cue for an exit, and sometimes it gives it to me when I'm already halfway down the off-ramp having taken the exit anyway because I knew from other sources that it was the exit I would have to take.

It was never better than a Garmin from 2005 imo but lately it's been actively getting worse

It definitely hasn't gotten worse, and there are plenty of articles out there showing the year over year improvements within Apple Maps from a topographical, 3D mapping, and data perspective. I use Apple Maps every day and have never had this happen. I've certainly had it give me audio directions that weren't necessary ("keep left" when the highway isn't really deviating), but nothing blatantly delayed.

For me, Google services in general have gotten far worse all-around over the last decade. Their Maps app? Filled with sponsored businesses all over the map, as well as ads on business listings themselves. How many more buttons can they add to the Google Maps UI? Why is the search bar STILL at the top for mobile devices on all of their apps? Why do I care about street names for roads I'm going past that are irrelevant to me when I'm driving?

Google search too...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 16, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple Maps still sometimes gives me the same shoddy directions it did when it came out. On the other hand, Google Maps has spent the last two years telling me to take exits off of I-66 only to get right back onto I-66.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick to making Apple Maps work right is to live somewhere with Apple employees around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So weird. I’ve never had any issues with Apple Maps. I usually do my navigation on Maps, and for longer trips, just open Waze in the background for cop notifications.

It’s wild how horrible Google Maps UI gets with every update, and it looks like dogshit on CarPlay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was a miracle I found the option to submit a request to Google Maps to stop directing delivery drivers into the neighborhood behind me and tell them to tresspass across the proeprty of multiple neighbors to get to me. iirc you can only get to it in website, not the app (or maybe it's the other way around). It took 3 months to get it fixed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apple Maps is great.

Works on my machine, etc.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Can I put multiple addresses in at a time on apple maps? 10 residential addresses at a time for example? That's what keeps me on Google maps over waze for example.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I relied on apple maps religiously on my recent lemans trip, it was far more accurate than say sygic or google, since it even suggested when to cross sidewalk on pedestrian routing to get the best/safer path. The sole "bug" is that it always routed me to the circuit north gate, the other gates weren't in the POI list.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Apple Maps has had speed trap detection a while now. That, and it’s better audio navigation (“at the next light, turn left”, vs “in 300 feet, turn left” with Google Maps), makes me prefer it when I’m going to/from a familiar place like work or home.

Hell yeah this x1000 the google maps voice navigation is fuckin terrible. I used it the other day and nearly missed the turn.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Hdip posted:

Can I put multiple addresses in at a time on apple maps? 10 residential addresses at a time for example?
Yes

I’m not sure if there is a max but I just did 11 destinations in Apple Maps

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've never even considered using apple maps in car play, but then I'm a weirdo who mainly uses Sygic which is a paid gps app that lets you download entire countries maps which is useful on holiday where I'm not sure if I'll have data or the data connection is spotty. Google maps is a bit better sometimes if I'm going to say a specific business or something, but I don't drive that much anyway and like most places I don't need a gps for so idk.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

dexter6 posted:

Yes

I’m not sure if there is a max but I just did 11 destinations in Apple Maps

In a row?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Quackles posted:

In a row?
Yes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

track day bro! posted:

I've never even considered using apple maps in car play, but then I'm a weirdo who mainly uses Sygic which is a paid gps app that lets you download entire countries maps which is useful on holiday where I'm not sure if I'll have data or the data connection is spotty. Google maps is a bit better sometimes if I'm going to say a specific business or something, but I don't drive that much anyway and like most places I don't need a gps for so idk.

Biggest issue of sygic is that it's a sub-only app now, which has a rather high price. I purchased the full world pack and every other DLC so i'm using it if i travel outside of internet coverage area.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Quackles posted:

In a row?

Yep. This was added in the last major iOS update I believe.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Queer Grenadier posted:

Yep. This was added in the last major iOS update I believe.

Yep, iOS 16 from last September. It's also way more user friendly to add additional destinations in Apple Maps than Google Maps. Shocking, I know.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Concerning, if true.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Up the thread someone mentioned that Apple Maps has the cops thing. How reliable is that? Does Apple Maps have enough users providing that data for it to be effective? It's literally the only reason I still use Waze.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Up the thread someone mentioned that Apple Maps has the cops thing. How reliable is that? Does Apple Maps have enough users providing that data for it to be effective? It's literally the only reason I still use Waze.

In multiple european locales static speed traps must be advertised so tomtom/teleatlas and navteq gets the data via api. Mobile speed traps don't have the same requirements so they rely on users disclosure. I have no idea if the same thing applies in the US.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It works well for me, and notifying Apple Maps of a speed trap is easy enough that I report them as well, so I hope a lot of people are using it. Apple Maps also has red light camera notifications/indicators, but those are illegal in my state, so I haven't had a chance to really compare that functionality across the different Maps apps.

I have to imagine the real speed demons are still using Waze for speed trap detection (first mover, niche targeted toward those users), but I do like that Apple Maps has it as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My beef with the apple maps alerts it the "you're still on the fastest route!" assurance. It's too many words, stop covering up my sweet music siri.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Biggest issue of sygic is that it's a sub-only app now, which has a rather high price. I purchased the full world pack and every other DLC so i'm using it if i travel outside of internet coverage area.

Is it sub for new people? All the add-ons were pretty expensive anyway. It does seem like they want to push the premium sub on you though as like I get a big splash screen every time I open the app.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quackles posted:

In a row?

Don’t worry, I got the joke.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like the aesthetics of waze so it's what is on my car play screen a lot of the time, but if I'm trying to actually get somewhere I mostly use Apple maps. Exception is Here We Go had/has(haven't tried offline maps somewhere that I actually need it yet with the download Apple maps) the best offline maps. The turn by turn and lane directions of Apple map work well for me especially with the integration with everything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t worry, I got the joke.

Everyone else was making me doubt this was a Clerks thing. I’m relieved.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

Yep, iOS 16 from last September. It's also way more user friendly to add additional destinations in Apple Maps than Google Maps. Shocking, I know.
Hoping they add multiple stops to walking directions soon. It’s a bit depressing how long it took for it to be added at all, and then for it to be for driving routes only is just annoying.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

track day bro! posted:

Is it sub for new people? All the add-ons were pretty expensive anyway. It does seem like they want to push the premium sub on you though as like I get a big splash screen every time I open the app.

New people can only buy premium subs, no addons. 20€ per year give or take, when the world + traffic package costed 60€.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Okay so I’m almost to my two year AppleCare+ period. Should I extend it indefinitely by making it a monthly AppleCare+? I’d like to try and maximize the years I get out of this phone and the battery replacement itself may be a return on investment.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Queer Grenadier posted:

Okay so I’m almost to my two year AppleCare+ period. Should I extend it indefinitely by making it a monthly AppleCare+? I’d like to try and maximize the years I get out of this phone and the battery replacement itself may be a return on investment.

Have you used the coverage yet? I think I’d get a nice case and put the money in a savings account instead.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Queer Grenadier posted:

Not worth it.

You can replace the phone if it dies (or get an official battery replacement) for way cheaper, and they don’t die that often.

Just use a case and don’t break your phone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

New people can only buy premium subs, no addons. 20€ per year give or take, when the world + traffic package costed 60€.

I guess that’s not terrible if it was something I used all the time really. I can’t bring myself to use something like waze because I remember it pushing ads at you when stopped when a friend was using it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Question Mark Mound posted:

Hoping they add multiple stops to walking directions soon. It’s a bit depressing how long it took for it to be added at all, and then for it to be for driving routes only is just annoying.

Alright, you got me.
What the hell would be the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Using the Maps app while driving around LA (and anywhere else really) was useless. For example, I’m driving on I-5 in my car with Carplay and it thinks I am idle at a parking lot. Hell, sometimes it looks like I’m strafing myself on freeway. And it will freeze randomly for a few minutes until I get back to my place when it magically updates itself like nothing happened.

Google Maps is less worse as it will correct itself faster than Apple Maps but it is still a problem overall.