Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Voice of Labor posted:

find a cspam thread that's avatar happy. see if you notice a trend of insufferable posters having similar avs, figure out what thread they're posting in and post there. same as the homestuck avatars of yore

Actionable and great tip ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

feverish and oversexed posted:

how angry do I have to make someone to get a new avatar. I paid for this one a long time ago and man do I regret it.

I ain't paying again tho.

just go post in c-spam

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Here I am trying to figure out what’s going in Apollo’s place because I already have Awful and Apollo living next to each other in the dock :(

Have you considered the Official Reddit App from Reddit Inc. :)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
People who have used Power Delete Suite (a browser plug in to delete all of your posting history) are finding it re-appearing a day or two later. Haven't tried it myself, but, lol

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Can't have anyone loving with the sweet user generated content they're going to sell to AI bots.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Permaban one out of every ten revolting mods to teach them all a lesson. Surely they will then appreciate the sublime might of the Admins

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Reddit got way better about it but there are so many cases of them doing nothing about rogue/hijacking/dead moderators on subreddits it's hilarious they're citing it now. It's one of the many complaints people who do mod have about the admins & tools available to them. Sometimes you get a good mod who will do what they can (reddit's mod powers are based on recency, if you weren't aware) from the lowest position to keep a sub running but sometimes you get 3 splinter reddits.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I think what I miss the most are threads with 3000 comments, 2990 of which are [deleted] / [removed] and 9/10 of the remaining ones are lovely puns

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I almost miss all the cat subs

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

People who have used Power Delete Suite (a browser plug in to delete all of your posting history) are finding it re-appearing a day or two later. Haven't tried it myself, but, lol

I used PDS and mine stayed gone, that’s weird

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Montague Tigg posted:

I think what I miss the most are threads with 3000 comments, 2990 of which are [deleted] / [removed] and 9/10 of the remaining ones are lovely puns

What is usually the cause of that? Do hundreds of people at a time decide that they are all embarrassed about the same thing and delete their posts accordingly?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol. So, as someone said earlier, while this whole lil shindig might not immediately kill the site, it can certainly lead to brain drain , and talent loss. I mean, the overlap of a venn diagram of people that can moderate even half somewhat decent, and the people that would be willing to do it for free can NOT be very big.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

If they're melting down this hard and fast over a few days of reasonable protest they must be loving spooked.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

What is usually the cause of that? Do hundreds of people at a time decide that they are all embarrassed about the same thing and delete their posts accordingly?

It’s a mod nuking comments for some reason. Sometimes a good reason, sometimes an inexplicable reason.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

"Shut up or we'll stop letting you give us free labor" isn't really a great threat anyway, even if the people doing it generally feel it's worth doing for free.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It was super common in subreddits which had some kind of standard for (top-level) comments, like requiring citations from academic sources. Redditors of course couldn't help but post pun chains and authoritatively written hot takes in response to questions in /r/askhistorians.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Honestly I’d be surprised if this doesn’t just lead to mods losing the ability to make a sub private if it’s above a certain follower size

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
"You have a duty to your community to make us money by working for us for free."

Jesus Christ that is loving bleak, Winston Smith level reality distortion field poo poo right there.

"Stop making us be such greedy loving dickholes, if you'd just get back to work, for free, there would be more money for us."

Not sure this is the slam dunk persuasive argument envisioned by its author.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i predict they'll replace the mods easily because it's a site with millions of users so there will be plenty of people happy to mod that don't care about the API changes or whatever

the site will then carry on as normal. maybe a minor quality hit but again it's a site with millions of users and at least 90% of them don't care about any of this and just want to look at cats or argue about politics.

in a few weeks no one will be even talking about this except for the inevitable new subreddits that are dedicated to the topic.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Modding new subreddits to own the shareholders

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004
I wonder how they would react if that 10% turns into an active spamming group. Shame reddit doesn't get a crispy $10 for every new account made then banned.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i predict they'll replace the mods easily because it's a site with millions of users so there will be plenty of people happy to mod that don't care about the API changes or whatever

the site will then carry on as normal. maybe a minor quality hit but again it's a site with millions of users and at least 90% of them don't care about any of this and just want to look at cats or argue about politics.

in a few weeks no one will be even talking about this except for the inevitable new subreddits that are dedicated to the topic.

I expect another flurry of activity on 7/1 when the third party apps actually have to shut down. But yeah Reddit can pretty easily ride this out I think. They’ll lose a bunch of mods and maybe some middling subs they never bother to force reopen and things will go on.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

agreed but also brain drain will speed up the appearance of whatever the inevitable reddit replacement is. but also its hard to tell if reddit is at that 'too big to ever be replaced' platform level is but i suspect it is. hmmmm

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lampsacus posted:

agreed but also brain drain will speed up the apperence of whatever the inevitable reddit replacement is. but also its hard to tell if reddit is at that 'too big to ever be replaced' platform level is but i suspect it is. hmmmm

Definitely not. Ask MySpace. And Facebook the company hasn’t bought up a half dozen other social media companies because they think Facebook.com will be dominant forever. And Reddit has basically no integration into anything else like Facebook does to keep it relevant. A competitor that just plain did things better could drink their milkshake a lot faster than I think anyone realizes.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Montague Tigg posted:

I almost miss all the cat subs

This hits me the most, I've developed very specific cat fetishes thanks to that site, I'm talking like 50+ cat subs. Things like photos taken from below of cats sitting on glass tables, photos of cat paws, the tiny little teeth they have between their fangs, cats slapping the poo poo out of things. It took forever to accumulate that finely curated feed of cuteness.

Now I'm back here to see if an extra decade of experience on this planet has given me the wisdom to make sense of the fever dream that is FYAD.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Definitely not. Ask MySpace. And Facebook the company hasn’t bought up a half dozen other social media companies because they think Facebook.com will be dominant forever. And Reddit has basically no integration into anything else like Facebook does to keep it relevant. A competitor that just plain did things better could drink their milkshake a lot faster than I think anyone realizes.

NewsCorp fumbled MySpace so hard. I remember getting assigned NewsCorp as a 1month trial account back in 2009. The techs there loving sucked at their jobs; just leaned on us the whole time to figure out why our software wouldn't install on already hardened OS. They said that MySpace was a separate branch that was given carte blanch to do whatever. They sold the property off for 35million in 2011 after they killed it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

whiskas posted:

This hits me the most, I've developed very specific cat fetishes thanks to that site, I'm talking like 50+ cat subs. Things like photos taken from below of cats sitting on glass tables, photos of cat paws, the tiny little teeth they have between their fangs, cats slapping the poo poo out of things. It took forever to accumulate that finely curated feed of cuteness.

Lol your name and this post, you def have a thang for cats. We love them too

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Lampsacus posted:

agreed but also brain drain will speed up the appearance of whatever the inevitable reddit replacement is. but also its hard to tell if reddit is at that 'too big to ever be replaced' platform level is but i suspect it is. hmmmm
I doubt there's much to drain

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hammu-rob-i posted:

NewsCorp fumbled MySpace so hard. I remember getting assigned NewsCorp as a 1month trial account back in 2009. The techs there loving sucked at their jobs; just leaned on us the whole time to figure out why our software wouldn't install on already hardened OS. They said that MySpace was a separate branch that was given carte blanch to do whatever. They sold the property off for 35million in 2011 after they killed it

MySpace was already DOA before NewsCorp came along.

Facebook just completely took over in 2007 to the point where 2006 is still seen as MySpace's peak.

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Recent interview from yesterday. The CEO genuinely thinks third-party apps deprive the platform of revenue directly somehow.
https://twitter.com/minimaxir/status/1669525672258338816
Here's some more important quotes from the article, bold parts are the CEO

quote:

I want to stop you for a second there. So you’re saying that Apollo, RIF, Sync, they don’t add value to Reddit?

Not as much as they take. No way.

There’s not even a scenario where those apps pay for their data?

That’s all I’m asking. We pay for our data, we pay for our hosting, they need to pay for theirs. That is fair. What our peers have done is banned them entirely. And we said no, you know what, we believe in free markets. You need to cover your costs.

When you say peers, who are you referring to there?

Facebook, Twitter, Snap. Other social media.

You mentioned these changes have been in discussion for a long time. How long are you thinking?

I know April is when we started doing public comms, and more regular private comms. Within the company? For as long as I can remember.

Since you came back to Reddit in 2015?

Yes.

If the discussions have been going on for that long, why this exact moment in time, and why such a short deadline?

Why any moment in time? We did it when we did it. We could do it a year from now and we’d probably have the same conversation. We could do it five years ago, we’d be having the same conversation.

I guess what I still don’t quite understand is, if this has been thought about for a long time, is the goal just to meet this deadline and move on? Like just turn a new leaf from there?

We don’t have to meet our deadline. We told folks hey, we need to come up with a plan, or we’re going to start billing you on July 1st.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Slimy Hog posted:

My local reddit is full of nimbys, people who hate poor folks/teachers/the unhoused/etc.

Good riddance.

Yeah it's weird to see people saying positive things about their local reddits because literally the only context I've ever seen a local reddit mentioned in was "it's full of Nazis/people who want to liquidate the homeless"

Elder Postsman posted:

maybe you don't need news. just a thought.

This has been my approach since deleting my Twitter and it's really true. Even when I was active in political activism absolutely nothing was being changed and those organizations have achieved gently caress all since I left too

hello internet posted:

Just change your SA bookmark to go to the user cp

spez's ears just perked up

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Also the long mega threads are great to read in order because you can keep having months of content to go scroll anytime you're bored. I started reading the r/relationships thread months ago and will probably never catch up with it

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

big black turnout posted:

Yeah it's weird to see people saying positive things about their local reddits because literally the only context I've ever seen a local reddit mentioned in was "it's full of Nazis/people who want to liquidate the homeless"

That's a shame, my city reddit page was quite young, left leaning with a strong 'eat the rich' vibe.

Anyway, that interview is pretty hosed, looks like Power Delete Suite it is. :byewhore:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I can handle not going on Reddit anymore though I do use it when I'm bored, or did- I doubt I will now, and have been off it since the strike.

What I find less clear is if I/we can also handle Google being completely loving useless if you don't search Reddit for answers, that poo poo sucks.

It's been like 3 days and I've already had several situations where Reddit had the only google answer...

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

I think I'm going to knock something up in Laravel, that just feeds directly from things I'm interested in. Something similar to http://www.jimmyr.com/ (has no SSL certificate installed, so you may not be able to see it) where it's just aggregating the same stuff but takes the clicks away from reddit and entirely removes the community aspect (read: the uppity, 12-or-40-year-old-looking manbabies, the bots and the right-wing plankton).

Might be a good opportunity to take a crash-course in machine learning.

quote:

What I find less clear is if I/we can also handle Google being completely loving useless if you don't search Reddit for answers, that poo poo sucks.

It's been like 3 days and I've already had several situations where Reddit had the only google answer...
Couldn't agree more. I've noticed that a bunch of late too, would be interesting to know how Google want to handle this if everything just decides to stay closed.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Taima posted:

I can handle not going on Reddit anymore though I do use it when I'm bored, or did- I doubt I will now, and have been off it since the strike.

I just hit a brick wall because the subreddit I wanna see from my search results is still private lol oops

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

feverish and oversexed posted:

I just hit a brick wall because the subreddit I wanna see from my search results is still private lol oops
"Hey Google, how do I not hit a brick wall"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bass.exe posted:

Recent interview from yesterday. The CEO genuinely thinks third-party apps deprive the platform of revenue directly somehow.

Oh so Reddit fired their PR, is what you’re saying.

Good god, even if this guy was 100 percent correct, he needed to shut the gently caress up yesterday.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bass.exe posted:

I'm a little curious about the numbers here. Could Apollo / RIF pay Reddit's new API prices by carrying similar numbers of ads as reddit, and then passing along that revenue? My guess is no, since I see a fair number of ads on RIF and the creator said that they make nowhere near Reddit's asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

teen witch posted:

Oh so Reddit fired their PR, is what you’re saying.

Good god, even if this guy was 100 percent correct, he needed to shut the gently caress up yesterday.

Yeah there is no way this was ran by anyone in comm’s or PR. He probably thinks the candour will be taken better than dancing round the truth but jeeeeez, just comes off more of a knob.

edit: I just realised, indeed, the head of comms was on hand in that call and comes off equally as dickhead

Anna Soellner, Reddit VP of Comms: I feel like you’ve been asking the same question over and over again.”

UncleBlazer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 16, 2023