Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I love Carol Kane but hate that accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, maybe that's why they needed a certain length script

There’s even commercial breaks.

Discovery, Picard and SNW have all been airing on cable and satellite tv in Canada from the start.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

Gaz-L posted:

I liked Lt. Mitchell being included. SNW did a solid job with even the tertiary characters compared to DIS or PIC.

I liked Lt. Mitchell too, although I'm halfway expecting newly arrived Jim Kirk to ask her "Hey, how's your brother Gary?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good start to the season. One random thing in the episode that I thought was weird- the false flag Federation ship is referred to a few times as a Crossfield-class ship. However, it looks nothing at all like that class, which is what the USS Discovery is on that show. At least outside of a very similar saucer section.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good start to the season. One random thing in the episode that I thought was weird- the false flag Federation ship is referred to a few times as a Crossfield-class ship. However, it looks nothing at all like that class, which is what the USS Discovery is on that show. At least outside of a very similar saucer section.

I’m assuming this was maybe an attempt to bring the Crossfield more in line with the TOS design aesthetic, implying the Glenn and Discovery were heavy modifications of the base class to fit the spore drive.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I kind of want M'benga's temporary super soldier serum to have never come up before on the show and never be explained in really any detail, though I'd wager it's come up as a thing before and I just don't remember it. It's pretty clear what it does, and it's very clear why it was on hand, and I can infer why it's not something that everybody has. It's fun to look back on all the scenes from season one where it would've been useful and wonder "hey, why didn't they use that" or think about it being right there in a pocket ready to deploy at a moment's notice during M'benga's teary farewell to his daughter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gaz-L posted:

"Spock, I have researched human mating practices, and I believe Christine is what they call a 'unicorn'."

oh my god lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NowonSA posted:

I kind of want M'benga's temporary super soldier serum to have never come up before on the show and never be explained in really any detail, though I'd wager it's come up as a thing before and I just don't remember it.

i don't think it has come up before, but yeah it'd be pretty funny if we never see it again

pike: how the hell did you and nurse chapel defeat 30 klingons, unarmed?
m'benga: :shrug: weak klingons. severely malnourished. it felt wrong

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'll miss salty blind engineer but I'm down for chaotic immortal engineer. I also like the Lt Mitchell; who's name I learned on this very page, is more involved.

Also gently caress you for saying the engineer sounded like Neelix, now I can't unhear it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

I’m assuming this was maybe an attempt to bring the Crossfield more in line with the TOS design aesthetic, implying the Glenn and Discovery were heavy modifications of the base class to fit the spore drive.

The Conn (?) officer next to Ortegas did say “I think… it’s a Crossfield class?”, so it’s easy to handwave it either as:

a) The pirate dudes frankensteined Crossfield parts to other random parts
b) This is what a post-Discovery Crossfield-class refit looks like
or
c) Maybe as part of a) they had their transponder or whatever set to broadcast a Crossfield-class ID as part of their intended false flag plan

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
doesn't uhura say it's part of the beacon?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Love Carol Kane but that accent is brutal. How did nobody shoot that down in the first rehearsal

Fun episode though, I enjoyed it. Always up for stealing an Enterprise out of space dock

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 16, 2023

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't think it has come up before, but yeah it'd be pretty funny if we never see it again

It would be perfectly in line with TOS, which established McCoy’s medical kit has the ingredients to synthesize a compound which gives someone psychokinetic powers!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stuart scott posted:

Love Carol Kane but that accent is brutal. How did nobody shoot that down in the first rehearsal

Fun episode though, I enjoyed it. Always up for stealing an Enterprise out of space dock

Maybe she got stuck in the accent after Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I thought her voice was fine, it kind of reminds me of Shohreh Aghdashloo's voice.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hello everybody, show still owns. I'm quite pleased by this. :unsmith:

"That's a pain shared by all those who live with even a half-open heart." is an amazing line for a character to say to the half-Vulcan character

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I read it as the transponder identifying it as that class.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Beeftweeter posted:

pike: how the hell did you and nurse chapel defeat 30 klingons, unarmed?
m'benga: :shrug: weak klingons. severely malnourished. it felt wrong

With the conversation leading up to it, my legit first thought was that it was a fast-acting genemod to look like a Klingon, and they were just going to try to stroll on up to the bridge trying to act as casual Klingons.

By the by, I really liked the Klingon look for SNW. A+ Klingon makeup in my book! I also like how the Klingon captain was a nice blend of hostile, reasonable once you explained the situation to him, and "If you can hold your bloodwine you must be legit" party Klingon. He had some real Martok vibes for me in a good way. Perhaps an ancestor of that Noble house? In my fancanon he is at least.

Also it feels like a real missed opportunity to not have the bar peanuts in the earlier drinking scene be bar Gagh just squirming and wriggling around.

Edit: And yeah, Kane's accent didn't bother me. The setup for her species in intriguing too because even if they look real similar, they'd need to have kept changing identities vampire style and any of them dying could create a chance for an autopsy or funeral preparations to expose them. I'm interested in learning more about what they were up to there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 16, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NowonSA posted:

By the by, I really liked the Klingon look for SNW. A+ Klingon makeup in my book! I also like how the Klingon captain was a nice blend of hostile, reasonable once you explained the situation to him, and "If you can hold your bloodwine you must be legit" party Klingon. He had some real Martok vibes for me in a good way. Perhaps an ancestor of that Noble house? In my fancanon he is at least.

I was literally having a Jadzia moment going "Ahhh, so that's where Martok got his eyes."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

stuart scott posted:

You don't watch Carol Kane being weird as gently caress and go "Stop doing that". That's killing the goose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NowonSA posted:

With the conversation leading up to it, my legit first thought was that it was a fast-acting genemod to look like a Klingon, and they were just going to try to stroll on up to the bridge trying to act as casual Klingons.

This was my thought as well, especially since they’d already done “quick alien facial modifications in a hypospray” before in the series premiere.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I liked the Klingons well enough but they did kind of look like they were borrowing MCU costumes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are Klingons in the MCU?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cojawfee posted:

There are Klingons in the MCU?

No? I just meant that the style of costumes we saw the Klingons wearing up until the appearance of the battle cruiser captain looked like the kind of outfits I would expect to see in an MCU film. They didn't feel exactly like Star Trek to me, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I just used the MCU as a point of comparison for why they felt a bit off. It's not really a big deal, but it stood out to me. The makeup, prosthetics, and performances were spot on and I like the direction they're taking them in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Carol Kane :neckbeard:

Delighted the show is back, love seeing the characters again, had a thoroughly good time. Also "I would like the ship to go. Now." is the kind of inspirational talk that only a captain can give :hai:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ehhhhhh.... Show still continues to be carried by a very charismatic cast.

For an episode about plots and political intrigue, it really does skip over all that to just spoon feed you everything, but is happy to make time for the two doctors to have a 5 minute fight scene for some reason.

The show is pretty and earnest, but it's rarely clever.

That and it does tend to veer away from them feeling like the crew of a state of the art spacecraft and more like best friends on space adventures, which is fine, but it's a balance y'know.

Still, night and day with all the other live action stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ehhhhhh.... Show still continues to be carried by a very charismatic cast.

Absolutely. I very much enjoyed the episode but it's certainly not amazingly written, and there were a few moments where it felt like they skipped a scene or two... but drat if the show isn't just delightful to watch and the entire cast are wonderful, and now they've got Carol Kane too!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1669538692501999616?s=20

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1669431946408087556?s=20

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bloody Pom posted:

Boredom is a much better reason for immortality pathos than the usual 'everyone i have loved and will ever love will die before me :qq:'

Hell yeah, be a weird quirky grandma getting into trouble for shits and giggles forever.
When she asks Spock the question I said out loud "boredom" and then Spock answers "everyone dying before you" and I said "no, it's boredom" and then she said "no it's boredom!" and I said "told you." Talking to my computer monitor never gets so fun!
Oh, sure, he says "gently caress you" to giving people what they wanted for Season 1/the entirety of the series but as soon as it finally works out in his favor he wants another goddamn movie. Patrick Stewart is fantastic but when it comes to deciding what to do next with the Picard role, he can stop.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked that she said boredom is the worst part of immortality specifically, because loss is something everyone experiences

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Seemlar posted:

I found it kind of delightful about how incredibly matter-of-fact they were about this second species just living on Earth completely undetected until after first contact took place

Well, yeah, but why wouldn't they be? First contact (and this species revealing themselves) was a good century ago by the time of SNW, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was this species that lived on earth a thing previously or is it new?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

New species. 20th/21st century Earth must have been a hot tourist spot to have El Aurians, Lanthanites, Vulcans, and the occasional Romulan watcher all hiding out on it around the same time.

Initially I thought the notion of some rogue Klingons having the resources to somehow build a Starfleet ship in an old mine was kind of stretching credibility, but I guess since a war just ended there's probably plenty of salvaged parts floating around on both sides. I like that this sets up a way to have Klingons be an episodic antagonist without having to deal with any kind of confrontation being a sanctioned act by the Empire that should restart the war. And I also liked that the new Crossfield-class looks to be a member of the Akira lineage, I hope that's the official look for the refit version of the class and not just a Klingon kitbash. Still need to fill in those pointless gaps in the saucer section though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

I kind of want M'benga's temporary super soldier serum to have never come up before on the show and never be explained in really any detail, though I'd wager it's come up as a thing before and I just don't remember it.

I'm going with "after WW3 things got a little too Fallout, and now for humans, slamming a fuckton of Jet and Psycho when they need to wreck house is an option that's on the table"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I can't believe the actress who played Latka's wife is putting on a weird accent.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
With her being a long lived and secret species, they are one line away from making Carol Kane canon in this universe. "I did some acting in the 20th century."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I can't believe the actress who played Latka's wife is putting on a weird accent.

It's basically like a stone's throw from Simka's voice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I genuinely thought she was butchering a Scottish accent at first and was going to suggest her nephew for a position on the ship.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just gradually shift into her character from Kimmy Schmidt and we are golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

I genuinely thought she was butchering a Scottish accent at first and was going to suggest her nephew for a position on the ship.

right? it's like a weird mix of a scottish and some sort of eastern european accent