Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

toggle posted:

Z8 owning +3 days on. Battery life on the EN-EL15c batteries is really great. I was shooting photos most of the day and it didn't buckle that bad. Switching to video chewed through it, but for photos its fine. Started at 9am, had to change to an older EN-EL15b by around 2pm. Obviously not a Z9 all day long/all night strong battery, but it's decent.

Also, the Z8 doesn't like third party batteries, which is annoying. The Nikon branded EN-EL15c batteries are pretty cheap anyway so can't hurt to grab a couple more.

Overall, it's very good. And I like it.

Glad to hear it! Mine shipped today so should have it pretty soon. Been using the Z9 for almost a year now but looking forward to a slightly smaller+lighter body. Should make a sweet birding combo with the 800PF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Sigh. Went to shoot soccer tonight and my 300mm PF autofocus is dead. Tried it on a couple bodies with no movement at all. The VR works fine. Cleaned the contacts and still no luck with the AF.

Any alternatives to paying Nikon $600-700 to fix it?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8ntVfyGcg

stupidly beautiful Z8 review by Links

* every bit as good as Z9
* if you had to find anything to complain about the camera maybe starts to overheat shooting 8K60 raw after like half an hour?
* where are my Z9 HEIFers Nikon

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

* if you had to find anything to complain about the camera maybe starts to overheat shooting 8K60 raw after like half an hour?

Well there you go, once again a complete failure for Nikon.

I assume there's a Northrup video with a "DISASTER" or "FAILURE" thumbnail on this already.

Mine's on the way via DHL, probably be here tomorrow or Monday. Going to enjoy the 400g or so saved weight from the Z9. If it balances well on the 800 PF (which I expect it will) I'll sell the Z9 since I don't use GPS and 45% of the battery capacity is fine with me, especially considering the size of the batteries.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brrrmph posted:

Sigh. Went to shoot soccer tonight and my 300mm PF autofocus is dead. Tried it on a couple bodies with no movement at all. The VR works fine. Cleaned the contacts and still no luck with the AF.

Any alternatives to paying Nikon $600-700 to fix it?

Same thing happened with my Sigma 50-150 at the beginning of the year. I can feel it trying to focus and if I manually do it while holding my back button it resolved for a bit then dies again. Couldn’t find a fix either, so bought a 70-200 on here.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Sad. I wonder what I can get for it on Ebay if I don’t repair it. Checking with a local guy in Minnesota who does good work to see if he can fix it and what it would cost.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My 70-300 AF-P fucks around a bit on my D750, focus stops working randomly at 300mm, sometimes recover if I go back to 70mm.

Works fine on my Z30, so I'll have to try to clean the contacts first I guess.

Been eyeing the 80-400 AF-S for light-weight birding though... :shepface:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wibla posted:

My 70-300 AF-P fucks around a bit on my D750, focus stops working randomly at 300mm, sometimes recover if I go back to 70mm.

Works fine on my Z30, so I'll have to try to clean the contacts first I guess.

Been eyeing the 80-400 AF-S for light-weight birding though... :shepface:

If you're just doing birding with it and won't miss the lower 120mm, and you're willing to be, erm, let's say flexible on the definition of "light-weight" then the 200-500 AF-S 5.6E is less than half the price of the 80-400, definitely weighs less than a car battery, and as a result potentially becomes a better value proposition.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

On the used market, they're about the same price here. I'm not buying any of those lenses new, particularly not the 80-400.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Been eyeing up both the 200-500 AF-S 5.6E and sigma 150-600C for ages. Close in price on pre-owned market.

Anyone used both?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can now reproduce the 70-300 focus error on my Z30 too, especially at 300mm. If I zoom out a little bit, it starts working again. Sigh.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Been eyeing up both the 200-500 AF-S 5.6E and sigma 150-600C for ages. Close in price on pre-owned market.

Anyone used both?

I haven't used them personally, but for what it's worth I was recently at our local showing of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition and I was struck by how many great shots people had taken with the Sigma 150-600mm lenses (unfortunately it didn't say if it they were the C or S variant). Like this one and this one.

The last one I went to was before COVID, and it seemed like most of the winning photos were shot with 500, 600 and 800mm primes that are out of reach for most people.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

I haven't used them personally, but for what it's worth I was recently at our local showing of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition and I was struck by how many great shots people had taken with the Sigma 150-600mm lenses (unfortunately it didn't say if it they were the C or S variant). Like this one and this one.

The last one I went to was before COVID, and it seemed like most of the winning photos were shot with 500, 600 and 800mm primes that are out of reach for most people.

The modern long zoom lenses are really pretty drat decent. I have a Nikon 200-500 here and I'd say it's almost as sharp as the 500PF in practical use. Where they tend to fall behind a bit is on fast action and tracking autofocus. But printing normal-ish sizes I think the sharpness is definitely good enough.

On the topic of long primes I think the 800Z is a bit of a revolution. Sharp, fast focusing, and I think around $6500 in the US. The 800/5.6 cost, what, $16-18k? Sure $6500 is out of reach for a lot of people but for serious hobbyists it isn't quite as unattainable as previous options.

Got my Z8 in the mail yesterday and I gotta say it's impressively chunky. Looking at it online it seemed like a slightly bigger Z7 but this one feels more like a D500 size wise. Probably going to unload the Z9 now since the Z8 has everything I need in a neater package.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Z8 showed up today and it's neat. I'm convinced that a lilliputian wizard lives right above the battery compartment and drives the auto focus using magic. Sure there are people who poo poo the Z8/9 auto focus as nothing special but coming from a D800 and Z7 it's a freaking revelation.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got a discworld-esque mental image of a small imp sitting inside the camera :haw:

Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on a Z7II today.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

gently caress i wish i had disposable income

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Slotducks posted:

gently caress i wish i had disposable income

Pretty sure half the people buying the gear day one don’t have it either, but that doesn’t stop them

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's what credit cards are for, no? :sun:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Simply make a living taking photographs.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Pretty sure half the people buying the gear day one don’t have it either, but that doesn’t stop them

At least in my case my photography gear at this point is worth a fair amount, but that value has been slowly built up since the mid-90s. I try to minimize the cost of ownership of gear so for a long time now I've been purchasing mostly slightly used pro gear that I can resell a year or two later for almost the same $. My experience is that over time it's been better than buying cheaper glass+bodies and taking a bigger hit when reselling. I did splurge on the Z8 though and bought it new so sometimes you just gotta YOLO it.

But even so, it's a hobby that's a hell of a lot cheaper than boats and cars and poo poo like that. I know a lot of car fanatics who spend silly amounts on mods and track days and so on.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Yeast posted:

Simply make a living taking photographs.

im afraid of putting a number on my time

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Make it more than what other people pay you for it now, enjoy!

(Then raise it 10-20% every year).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

At least in my case my photography gear at this point is worth a fair amount, but that value has been slowly built up since the mid-90s. I try to minimize the cost of ownership of gear so for a long time now I've been purchasing mostly slightly used pro gear that I can resell a year or two later for almost the same $. My experience is that over time it's been better than buying cheaper glass+bodies and taking a bigger hit when reselling. I did splurge on the Z8 though and bought it new so sometimes you just gotta YOLO it.

But even so, it's a hobby that's a hell of a lot cheaper than boats and cars and poo poo like that. I know a lot of car fanatics who spend silly amounts on mods and track days and so on.

I use photography as one example of a more expensive hobby when I'm telling people that by comparison, paying $50 for an RPG book isn't that expensive, or even spending $100 a month on Magic: the Gathering cards :laugh:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wibla posted:

Can now reproduce the 70-300 focus error on my Z30 too, especially at 300mm. If I zoom out a little bit, it starts working again. Sigh.

I have nothing but bad experiences with 70-300s.

A Tamron that arrived DOA in the mail.

A Fuji that gets wobbly stabilization effects when zoomed in too fast.

Those ribbon cables really have to stretch and flex. Sometimes I think they just don’t get secured or connected that well.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Photography is only as expensive as you make it.
I've got a good camera and all the focul lengths I like. You could probably get everything I've got now in today's prices for £2k

So I don't need to spend penny more now...I will though cos I have low impulse control

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’m frugal and save money :shrug:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Photography is only as expensive as you make it.
I've got a good camera and all the focul lengths I like. You could probably get everything I've got now in today's prices for £2k

So I don't need to spend penny more now...I will though cos I have low impulse control

I told my mom about my D750 -> Z7II upgrade plans and said that after that I would be set for a long time, she just laughed :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Funnily enough since dpreview announced closure and every other site feels like a lovely blog, I've felt my gear envy go right down.

If you don't know the Z7 III gets a announced, how can you covet it?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 10, 2023

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
My Df and K01 still work very well and I'm sated. Wouldn't mind a K3iii monochrome but I'll grab one (un)used in a couple generations because

Wibla posted:

I told my mom about my D750 -> Z7II upgrade plans and said that after that I would be set for a long time, she just laughed :v:

:v::retrogames:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
There are hobbies far more expensive than photography. Hell, a round of golf at a public course here is $80 with a cart. That’s $300 monthly if one does it once a week.

Or try owning a boat. Lord.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
But dpreview is still posting announcements and even reviews, what's up with that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Something is going on is my guess. Maybe someone is attempting to buy it off Amazon?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Or try owning a boat. Lord.

Can confirm :suicide:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bad form to double post, but oh well...

Gear Acquisition Syndrome took charge today and I came home with a Z7II + battery grip + 24-70 f/4 S + 64GB XQD for about $2300

Now I have a Nikon problem...

(D70s and D300 not pictured :downs:)

The Z7II works really well with the 70-300 AF-P, easily as good as with the D750, but there are some oddities with focus tracking. The 24-70 f/4 S is optically really good and a very handy, compact walkaround lens. I guess the 24-120 is even better as such, but with 45 megapixels I have more room to crop, too...

Manual focusing the 85mm f/1.4D is stupid easy and on-sensor VR is definitely a welcome change.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I really love that 24-70 f/4. It's very sharp! Also, :homebrew:!

Nikon also just released v4 firmware for the Z9. Some cool additions, I really like the lower ISO for N-Log.. and the new shutter sound options. No kitty cat meowing shutters though :(

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/06/12/major-nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-00-released.aspx/

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

toggle posted:

I really love that 24-70 f/4. It's very sharp! Also, :homebrew:!

Nikon also just released v4 firmware for the Z9. Some cool additions, I really like the lower ISO for N-Log.. and the new shutter sound options. No kitty cat meowing shutters though :(

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/06/12/major-nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-00-released.aspx/

Is it just preloaded sounds from Nikon? Seems like the burst rate would be a perfect match for a custom clip of Scatman John.

Dropped my Z8: Forgot that my strap was attached to the lens only with no backup hooked on the body (like I should've hooked up right out of the box if I wasn't a dipshit) when I was swapping lenses. In the rain. On a muddy gravel path :suicide: The camera is fine but the sensor guard definitely saved the day and it makes me wonder why Nikon didn't put those on all their mirrorless bodies, or at least the Z7 II also.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some places require by law that cameras have an audible shutter, either mechanical, or electronic playing a sound. Japan is one of those places. And I'm guessing there are some rules that the shutter sound has to be recognizably a camera and not something else. So don't count on being able to load your own shutter sounds...

Edit: This is apparently nonsense, and just something that manufacturers have agreed on to please the public?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 15, 2023

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I'm getting a full spectrum infrared conversion done to my D4S by LifePixel. Thinking about the 590nm filter. Talk me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I'm getting a full spectrum infrared conversion done to my D4S by LifePixel. Thinking about the 590nm filter. Talk me out of it.

Do it. I started shooting IR with a Nikon CoolPix 950 and a Harrison & Harrison 89B filter.

Great fun.