Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Previa_fun posted:

Tonight I finally got my GoodWin Racing RoadsterSport SuperSport (goddamn that's a lot of random capitalization) axle back installed today and fuk I love this stupid car lmao. It's exactly what I wanted which was a little more aggressive sound with the top down. Owns.

Hardest part of the installation was wrestling those god drat rubber hangers.

Do you mean the RoadsterSport SuperStreet? I don't see a SuperSport-- but I have been wondering if I should get the SuperStreet, or one of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Do you mean the RoadsterSport SuperStreet? I don't see a SuperSport-- but I have been wondering if I should get the SuperStreet, or one of the others.

Yeah that one. It's good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been thinking about getting another Miata, and since I've already owned 4 NAs and don't really want another one I've been looking at NBs and NDs. I really like the ND but don't want to spend that much money. Like the NB as well, but most of them are well used and overpriced imo.

I was never really partial to the NC because of how it looks, but recently I've seen some decent deals out there and have been warming up to them.

I have never driven an NC before, so how would you guys rate them as far as all the Miatas go driving wise? I know they are the ugliest Miata but if they drive better than an NB I might start seriously looking at a few.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Been thinking about getting another Miata, and since I've already owned 4 NAs and don't really want another one I've been looking at NBs and NDs. I really like the ND but don't want to spend that much money. Like the NB as well, but most of them are well used and overpriced imo.

I was never really partial to the NC because of how it looks, but recently I've seen some decent deals out there and have been warming up to them.

I have never driven an NC before, so how would you guys rate them as far as all the Miatas go driving wise? I know they are the ugliest Miata but if they drive better than an NB I might start seriously looking at a few.

NC is great to drive. Pro) Not as floppy as the NB; Con) weight. People hate on them, but they are a good car.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
From what I read the NC is pretty soft with lots of body roll. Nothing new shocks, springs and sway bars can't fix.

The PRHT is quite appealing still, best of both worlds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lots of automatics out there, ugh.

I'd want an NC2 at the least. Power hard top is interesting too, unless there are problems with them then I'd rather have the soft top

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Lots of automatics out there, ugh.

I'd want an NC2 at the least. Power hard top is interesting too, unless there are problems with them then I'd rather have the soft top

The PRHT seems somewhat preferable to the ND RF in that you lose all blindspots with the top down, and maybe some wind noise or buffeting.

I kind of wish I had a soft top ND simply because you can put the top down/up in a matter of seconds. However, the MX5Things smart top adapter for the RF has made me much happier. Also I don't have to worry about getting my roof slashed, or eventually having to replace it if I keep the car long enough.

I would test drive a PRHT NC and see how quickly it opens and closes and if there is any real maintenance for it. Probably go for that since I believe it wasn't much heavier than the soft top. And any handling or body roll issues can be solved with springs, struts, and sway bars as others have said.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i obviously simp for my nd2 rf but if i was forced to choose another miat, it'd absolutely be either a prht nc or an na with a hardtop. however on the latter, i don't have a hundred thousand dollars so

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

MetaJew posted:

I kind of wish I had a soft top ND simply because you can put the top down/up in a matter of seconds. However, the MX5Things smart top adapter for the RF has made me much happier. Also I don't have to worry about getting my roof slashed, or eventually having to replace it if I keep the car long enough.

Yeah, I’ve have both a soft top and an RF ND. I do miss being able to just throw the top down in a few seconds, and honestly I end not putting the top down as much as I did with my soft top one. Part of that is the speed, but part of it too is paranoia about causing too much wear on the RF motors, so I only end up putting the top down if I’m going to be driving around for more than 20 minutes or so (which is rare for me).

That said, I don’t regret switching to the RF. The wind noise is noticeably quieter, visibility is about the same/better (with the top up), and I just think it looks loving sick.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What's the deal with you're not supposed to out the top up/down from inside the car? I do it all the time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The PHRT and RF roof mechanisms are supposed to be extremely robust and reliable.

I typically don’t drive my RF unless I’m going to put the roof down and I drive it fairly frequently so the roof gets used a lot. I don’t anticipate any issues, and i also am betting that the roof will be better off if it’s used regularly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

What's the deal with you're not supposed to out the top up/down from inside the car? I do it all the time.

Nothing wrong with that. You're supposed to.

Don't raise or lower the top while it's moving, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The PHRT and RF roof mechanisms are supposed to be extremely robust and reliable.

I typically don’t drive my RF unless I’m going to put the roof down and I drive it fairly frequently so the roof gets used a lot. I don’t anticipate any issues, and i also am betting that the roof will be better off if it’s used regularly.

Have you tried to do any preemptive cleaning or maintenance on the roof drain lines? I've seen people talking about them getting clogged and flooding the interior, but I park in a garage 99% of the time so I'm not sure how big of a concern that is.

Accessing and cleaning them also seemed like a PITA when I read about it several months ago.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Have you tried to do any preemptive cleaning or maintenance on the roof drain lines? I've seen people talking about them getting clogged and flooding the interior, but I park in a garage 99% of the time so I'm not sure how big of a concern that is.

Accessing and cleaning them also seemed like a PITA when I read about it several months ago.

I leave the roof half-open every so often and clean in there, and when I wash (any car, not just the Miata) I'll usually check to make sure drains are doing their thing. It's a 2021 that I'm pretty sure has been garaged its whole life (and still is) so I'm not anticipating any issues here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm reasonably scared of having to buy some $1275 motor or rack and pinion thingy for the RF roof. Been considering starting a preventative maintenance schedule on it maybe? I see some spots that might want some grease or something, but also I don't wanna clog anything up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think after looking whats out there the top won't matter much as long as it's an NC2 with a manual and suspension package.

Seems like most of the hard tops are automatics anyway so I'd be kinda surprised if I ended up with one honestly.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I think after looking whats out there the top won't matter much as long as it's an NC2 with a manual and suspension package.

Seems like most of the hard tops are automatics anyway so I'd be kinda surprised if I ended up with one honestly.

Not sure where you live, but there are a few interesting ones in Texas and some surrounding borders.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2015-mazda-mx-club/7632031742.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/kemah-2008-mazda-miata-convertible/7625634003.html

Comedy option:
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/leander-superformance-s1-roadster/7629585283.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm in central Florida, I'm in no hurry but I'll be keeping an eye out ready to pounce if I need to.

Gonna try to keep it under 15k, if I can find a motivated private seller I think I can get a good deal eventually.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so uh i've never been one of these guys before but this car is worth spending a few bucks on. Were somebody to buy a full header/midpipe/muffler for their ND2, should they just like, idk, box up the stock parts and put them in storage or in the garage for smog time? Five years to go but still

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Purity box in the shed, yup.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

So in personal Miata-related news I came out to my car a few days ago and found the driver door ajar and a fully loaded Glock clip on my seat. That was fun.

i don’t own a gun

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ummmmmmmmmm Neat I guess..
Time to call the cops and not get shot and report it so they can process it.. possibly someone hiding in it and or hiding their gun in it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I took the ND2 down to Paso Robles for a week of cruising and wine tasting with my dad - man, this thing really just loves tootling around the twisty backcountry roads, what a good time.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I did, they came and collected it. They were also as “wtf” as I was.

My guess is that it was someone coming around checking door handles, mine was prob unlocked so they got in and rifled around, found zero poo poo of value, got out and dropped the clip without noticing. I would bet they had already hit other cars before mine and the clip was stolen from someone else’s.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

tater_salad posted:

ummmmmmmmmm Neat I guess..
Time to call the cops and not get shot and report it so they can process it.. possibly someone hiding in it and or hiding their gun in it.

I know it's not what you meant but I'm giggling at the idea of someone trying to hide in a Miata.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

pastor of muppets posted:

So in personal Miata-related news I came out to my car a few days ago and found the driver door ajar and a fully loaded Glock clip on my seat. That was fun.

i don’t own a gun

Uhhhhh OP?

MetaJew posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Terrible car stuff - Where Do You Keep Your Firearm?
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=699121

Some smooth brained yokel posted:

For those of you that travel with a firearm in your Miata, where do you keep it? I don't know how anyone could keep it on their person with these heavily bolstered seats, and contorting like a pretzel to access the "glove box" can be a challenge.

I carry a Glock 26 and both it and its holster fit perfectly between the seat and door; it's almost like it was made for it with a ridge that keeps it from moving forward or aft. It's barely noticeable with the driver's door open, and it cannot be seen at all from the passenger's window or driver's window when the door is shut.

With the car being so small there's not a lot of options, so curious if anyone found a better option?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

:aaaaa:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao at that steering wheel

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phone posted:

lmao at that steering wheel

Is that one of those smallerized ND wheels that are like a grand?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blk posted:

Did anyone ever come out with a seat lowering solution for NA/NBs besides foamectomies or bolting an aftermarket seat to the floor?

I did this and it helped a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13sHzwJXsA

Pair it with these: https://www.julianos.com/Juliano-s-Anchor-Plate-Kit-for-Lap-Belt-p/ju010600.htm

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

tater_salad posted:

A friend of mine just bought a 2022 ND2 GT a few months ago and at around 3000 miles, the leather on the steering wheel started peeling off somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock.

He bought the car in Austin, but is a traveling EMT so he took it to whatever dealer he was near. That dealer denied his warranty claim. A few weeks and a bunch of jumping through hoops and Mazda Corporate apparently finally agreed to replace the wheel. By this point he had gone out and purchased the Greddy wheel because he thought Mazda was just going to dick him over (and the Greddy wheel looks pretty cool).

I kind of want to get one, now.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I like what appears to be a (presumably very old) Arai XD4. Aren’t motorcycle helmets specifically not allowed for cars? They don’t have the fire resistant liners.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

SCCA allows motorcycle helmets for autocross, I dunno about track events

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The SCCA Track Night series also appears to allow motorcycle helmets.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah of you're on fire at an autocross you've really done something wrong, plus you can do it in shorts and a t-shirt so your helmet lacking fire protection isn't your biggest worry.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Yeah of you're on fire at an autocross you've really done something wrong, plus you can do it in shorts and a t-shirt so your helmet lacking fire protection isn't your biggest worry.

Only vehicle fire I was ever in was a ram 1500 full of furniture and I escaped it unharmed in basketball shorts and a carhartt tee.

Saved my drink, too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I put a halon fire extinguisher in my MS3 because I always used to carry a fire extinguisher in my previous, much-more-likely-to-catch-on-fire cars. The seat rail mount I have won't fit on the Miata rails, and I recently learned about these more compact "solid state" fire extinguishers:

https://elementfire.com/

I don't think it's a bad idea to keep one in the car, but I am not sure where you would stow one of these in the passenger compartment. Aurora Auto Design sells a seat rail mount for the ND, but it looks like you would not be able to remove the floor mat without unbolting the bracket and that seems silly.

Edit: Floor mat, not floor mount.

I've got some all weather mats that are a little difficult to get in and out.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 24, 2023

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
You just undo the bolts holding the seat rail to the floor, then rebolt the bracket on top. It’s not too bad and you don’t have to remove the seat or anything, it’s just a couple minutes with an impact wrench.

If the fire extinguisher is too large then you might have trouble sliding the seat forward since the lever to release the seat can interfere with the extinguisher but if it’s one of those skinny ones it shouldn’t be a problem at all. I’ve got whatever chemical extinguisher I bought from home depot in the bracket right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

edit: sold

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
An archetypical Miata experience right here, recorded this very eve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOjJmXtJyU