Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's good news, Far Harbor was a huge improvement over the base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuzzySlippers posted:

That's good news, Far Harbor was a huge improvement over the base game

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Like I do actually appreciate that they tried something interesting and new with the existing game mechanics, but no way should that poo poo of been mandatory.

RPG's seem to love random, increasingly unfun the more you play them, minigames. Which I don't mind as long as their skipable. That's just a must. You're mini game is never anywhere near as fun as you seem to think it is!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I just played Fallout 4 and while I really liked that part I was baffled by this like 3 hour unskipable puzzle game just popping out of nowhere in my shooting RPG.

Did people hate that when it came out? I imagine it was hated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the mod to remove it is very popular

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm wondering if you'll be able to mod System Shock 2 into being in the game itself.

Maybe without the hacking sub game.

Maybe call the derelict space craft you encounter around level 12 the UNN Von Braun

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the mod to remove it is very popular

I like how you can tell how much disliked a feature is by how quickly a mod comes out to remove it and how many downloads it gets.

Seem to recall the skip intro mod was out super quick as well, and is also very popular. Fallout 3 intro removal mod even more so.

If you know people are going to do a bunch of runs of your game please make your intro short and/or skipable. Not to keep coming back to New Vegas or anything, but the only non skipable part of the introduction being the Doc Mitchell character creation stuff is pretty much perfect for these sort of games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can we add Asari to this game with mods? And also give them penises

asking for a friend

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If Bethesda don't at least have an abandoned outpost in the shape of e1m1 on Deimos than I think we can officially call them lame.

If they don't include that, 100% there is a mod for it within the first month.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

By design the space vehicle combat will emulate Halo Reach's "Long Night of Solace" segment in terms of complexity and general "feel", which is another FPS game that had space vehicle comat

If Starfield's space combat turns out to even control half as well as House of the Dying Sun I'll pay full price.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

dr_rat posted:

I like how you can tell how much disliked a feature is by how quickly a mod comes out to remove it and how many downloads it gets.

Seem to recall the skip intro mod was out super quick as well, and is also very popular. Fallout 3 intro removal mod even more so.

Think it was either Civ5 or 6 where literally the most popular mod was the one that removed the multiple 5-second studio logos on startup. Not loading screens, just “look at the Firaxis logo for five seconds”.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

dr_rat posted:

If you know people are going to do a bunch of runs of your game please make your intro short and/or skipable. Not to keep coming back to New Vegas or anything, but the only non skipable part of the introduction being the Doc Mitchell character creation stuff is pretty much perfect for these sort of games.

I remember Oblivion had a dialog at the end of the intro dungeon that let you go back and change any of the character creation options you'd chosen. So all you had to do was drop a save at the end of that dungeon and go back to it if you wanted to start a new character without going through the whole opening plot again.

Crazy that they didn't keep doing that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The very arcadey look of the trailer combined with the dubious state of HOTAS support doesn't bode well.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

I remember Oblivion had a dialog at the end of the intro dungeon that let you go back and change any of the character creation options you'd chosen. So all you had to do was drop a save at the end of that dungeon and go back to it if you wanted to start a new character without going through the whole opening plot again.

Crazy that they didn't keep doing that.

they literally kept that in fallout 4 lol.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Similarly, Skyrim had the pretty popular Live Another Life mod. All it really did was change your starting location to a different place, often one with a bit of an implicit narrative behind it. Places like a shipwreck on a coast, a vampire den, an army camp, a brewery, or just in one of the towns. Mechanically it was quite simple, it just switched out the spawn location, starting equipment, and maybe set a few faction flags, but it could still make a surprisingly big difference in setting the tone for a given playthrough.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah alt start mods for fallout 4 really don't work because of the voiced protag.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

yeah alt start mods for fallout 4 really don't work because of the voiced protag.

On the contrary, eventually someone made a mod that chopped up and rearranged the voice files to let you live another life in F4. I recall playing a random nobody, arriving at diamond city, and having reasonably good dialogue about just being there to trade. It changed how piper and the mayor talked to me, too.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Start me up Redux? Yeah its the most comprehensive alternate start mod in FO4. Shame it doesn't work with mods like spouse companions though.

However in Skyrim you have more modern start me up mods than ASLAL without an absolute cretin like arthmoor to deal with. The new Skyrim alternate start mod is Alternate Perspective which combines both the intro of the base skyrim game with you being one of the bystanders AND gives you a more seamless world to start you off in.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Speaking of spouse companions. Is polygamy/cheating easier with 1,000 planets? It's unlikely they will ever run into each other.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PeePot posted:

Speaking of spouse companions. Is polygamy/cheating easier with 1,000 planets? It's unlikely they will ever run into each other.

The snake cult does not understand what you mean by this "cheating" or "spouses" thing. There is nothing to life but jumping and biting.

All praise the space serpent!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
On the subject of Skyrim I wanna mention Wildlander, a Wabbajack installed Megamod that, for me, felt like an entirely new game and which is easily in my top ten games of all time. Highly immersive, but you'd need to be up for a slow, some what punishing play style.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The very arcadey look of the trailer combined with the dubious state of HOTAS support doesn't bode well.

It does have one whole developer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Azhais posted:

It does have one whole developer
Sure, I know that - but something doesn't have to be arcadey and not support HOTAS properly just because it's got a single developer.

The properties of the engine (whether it's arcadey, realistic, or somewhere on the spectrum between the two) is entirely down to how it's been programmed.
Supporting HOTAS is as simple as using DirectInput (which is the API most controllers already use, and Steam can take care of mapping) and letting all 6 analogue axis (pitch, yaw, and roll as well as forward/retro, lateral, and dorsal thrust) be used.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
New interview with Todd Howard from IGN yesterday.

It's an interesting dive into Todd's design and production philosophies. The part about how procedural generation works was most interesting to me:

quote:

It's clearly not, based on what I've seen so far. The thousand planets number is the big one that you've been throwing out. What's the ratio of the procedurally generated stuff to the handcrafted stuff?

TH:
Well, the planets themselves, the landscape's pretty much all procedural. We kind of make these large... Think like kilometer-sized tiles we've generated. And those get kind of wrapped around the planet. As far as handcrafted content, more than any game we've done. I've stopped giving out numbers, but just in the dialogue, it's more than our last. It's more than Skyrim and Fallout 4 combined just in dialogue, right? So as we get into locations and art and everything, we've done more of it than we've ever done.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

At the end of the Starfield Direct, we heard from a bunch of folks on your team about their favorite moments that they've had while playing. Can you paint me a specific picture of a memorable moment for a character that you've rolled, that you've been playing in recent months? Some just memorably cool scenario.

TH: Let's see. Just a few weeks ago, I had landed on one of the early planets and this sandstorm blew through and I went to run away from it. And ships can randomly... Once in a while, they can randomly land. Enemy ships can land. So I'm going through the sandstorm, the ship landed and I get in this firefight and I got on the ship. And while I'm shooting the guys on the surface of the planet in the ship, the ship took off into space. So now I'm in outer space on the ship, and I was just like, "Can that happen? I guess that can happen." Yeah.

What the gently caress? That sounds... unlikely. I mean. I guess he's probably not lying outright in interviews like, three months out from release, but.

That sounds like an unexpected level of simulationism, honestly.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

What the gently caress? That sounds... unlikely. I mean. I guess he's probably not lying outright in interviews like, three months out from release, but.

I think he told that story in an interview a day or two before, and I wondered some of the same things.

The Creation Engine is still on a "cell" system, right? So in a way, all that really changed was a flag on the ship's exit changing from "go to planet" to "go to space". Maybe the gravity modifier changes from the planet's value to the ship's artificial gravity's value, too.

But ships have windows, as seen in prerelease footage. Can you see out of them as you're taking off? Was there a load screen at any point?

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

I don’t know, it sounds very Bethesda to me. Always lots of NPCs just milling about the universe, and what’s a spaceship but an NPC with its own AI that just happens to contain other NPCs. So it probably wasn’t really trying to kidnap the player, just continuing on the patrol route that also included a jaunt to the planet cell the player was in.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe he was fighting on the ship when suddenly a load screen kicked in because they don't simulate atmospheric flight. :v:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Sounds like a free ship to me!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The_White_Crane posted:

I mean the way it's written it doesn't seem any more detailed a simulation than something you could see in fallout 4, as it's basically a random Radstorm rolling in and a BOS vertibird rolls up in a random encounter, then decides to leave. The main difference being the vertibird lands and the player breaks in, before it leaves, so the game obviously knows not to despawn it while the player can see it.

Like it a great example of how simple systems can interact and create really fun and unique encounters, but when you look at what's actually happening on the simulation side of thing it's basically just when an enemy randomly spawns give them goals to independently try and do until they get far enough from the player to despawn.

Honestly the main thing that's surprising to me about that is that the engine was fine with loading the character into space with the ship when it decided to leave the planet. If that wasn't an expected thing that was programed to be allowed I could see many game engines getting very confused by that in many different ways.

Possibly how the engines coded that just naturally happened, or it was something that also happened to people in QA and any bugs with that happening were fixed, I guess.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
Wonder how you'd get back to your own ship in a situation like that. Have they confirmed if you can just steal dudes ships and fly them around?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It’s also possible that they wrote a quest that explicitly has you sneak onboard a docked ship that then goes into space, and the game logic that supports that quest works for all ships

raccoon.bmp posted:

Wonder how you'd get back to your own ship in a situation like that. Have they confirmed if you can just steal dudes ships and fly them around?

I think they said you can summon any ship you own/control at any launch pad, so you can just go to a space port.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 16, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

raccoon.bmp posted:

They already confirmed you can board other ships in space and steal them. So this isn't much different.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

raccoon.bmp posted:

Yeah, when they talked about ship boarding they said you can just take over ships and then it's yours to keep and fly around as you please. So take over the ship or die I guess would be the options? Maybe wait till they land/dock somewhere else I guess, I assume if they took off they'd of been given some location to go to.

Although lol if they're just given a direction to go and your just sitting there hour after hour, just watching all the planets slowly shrink from sight out the view port.

ymgve posted:

It’s also possible that they wrote a quest that explicitly has you sneak onboard a docked ship that then goes into space, and the game logic that supports that quest works for all ships

Yeah, that actually sounds pretty likely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

William Bear posted:

New interview with Todd Howard from IGN yesterday.

It's an interesting dive into Todd's design and production philosophies. The part about how procedural generation works was most interesting to me:

So wait, do they mean they create a kilometer of land and then it repeats over and over again but each tile generates new activities? How big is each planet then? Cause a kilometer is not that big?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It sounds like the base tile size that gets generated is 1x1km, and then planets are just collections of tiles. Not the same tile over and over, but they have a bunch of different tiles that get planted down.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

William Bear posted:

But ships have windows, as seen in prerelease footage. Can you see out of them as you're taking off? Was there a load screen at any point?

I think you can, but I assume the takeoff and landing bits will be in-engine cutscenes, sort of like xcom when you start or finish a mission.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I said come in! posted:

So wait, do they mean they create a kilometer of land and then it repeats over and over again but each tile generates new activities? How big is each planet then? Cause a kilometer is not that big?

It's the same cell system they used in previous games for the overworld, they just extended it to allow procedural generation at runtime and wrapping the edges.

Makes me wonder if the world is technically toroidal or something though because square cells don't map cleanly into a sphere.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

webmeister posted:

I think you can, but I assume the takeoff and landing bits will be in-engine cutscenes, sort of like xcom when you start or finish a mission.

Possibly put a loading screen behind some in-engine cut scene? That seems to be pretty standard now. Just show some flames under the ship as it takes off and flies into the distance while the space map loads up in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

isndl posted:

It's the same cell system they used in previous games for the overworld, they just extended it to allow procedural generation at runtime and wrapping the edges.

Makes me wonder if the world is technically toroidal or something though because square cells don't map cleanly into a sphere.

I'm guessing there's either a finite number of cells you can walk in any direction (so youtube morons can screech about invisible walls) or the one person in the world who manages to speed walk around an entire planet in the first two weeks after release will tweet about how Bethesda planets aren't actually spheres/ Bethesda uses mercator projections/found a spot where tile x should be but it regenerated as tile y.