Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Missionary Positron posted:

60-70 is such a grind, I'm slowly losing my will to even try to get to WT4

If you're over 60, the answer is probably to get to WT4 right now. 64-70 were some of the fastest levels in the game after I cleared the capstone and moved into WT4, because you get double XP and quickly have ancestral gear to clear quickly, but the level 70 XP wall hasn't hit yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I did the 2nd capstone dungeon to unlock WT4 at level 60 with my half-assed ice build sorc in pretty lovely gear. When I first got in and saw the levels of the stuff in there, I thought it might not be possible but I'm glad I stuck with it. My damage was totally fine, but for the first time in the game I couldn't just facetank everything and I actually had to mind my positioning. Compare this to WT3, where I think I used a potion like maybe half a dozen times, total, during 50-60. The last boss in particular one or two-shot me with every move, even through all my barriers and regardless what elixir I tried throwing on top. For the first time in the game my heart rate actually went up a bit, it was great. Still melted from like 50% to dead once I landed the stagger

Definitely recommend anyone bored of WT3 to try the capstone as early as possible. After beating the capstone I went on to start soloing WT4 content with zero issues, though poo poo has started to steadily approach WT3 in terms of challenge again as I gain levels and ancestral gear, so I guess I'll have to start pushing NMs if I want to keep things interesting.

This is definitely the easiest iteration of Diablo I've ever played, as long as you can find one of the skills that is actually functional you'll be completely fine and the elites in the game are a complete joke even on WT4.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Now I've got all the renown and statues and pretty much just doing nightmare dungeons, the need to run to each one really starts to get boring quickly. Also some of the running around and backtracking within dungeons starts to seem really really pointless when the game at this point really should be about killing efficiency. I really think they will implement some form of rift system sooner or later with just a much simpler dungeon design.

However I think the paragon board is one of the best endgame progression systems I've seen in a game. Combined with the extremely polished gameplay I think if they get one more dungeon system going with high mob density this could be a fantastic endgame game. Right now though nightmares are still a tad annoying.

My first complaint with Nightmare Dungeons (and World Bosses with the exception of maybe Ashava) is that they feel disconnected from the world. Helltides and The Tree of Whispers? Great stuff. All of the other complaints, feel like mechanical issues. Turn a few dials, and flick a couple of switches, and they are all right. But, there doesn't feel like there is a reason to do them...it is just busy work. D3's rifts had the flimsiest of motivations, but still more the D4's nightmare dungeons. Perhaps this is one of the things that got cut, and something is coming. idk Maybe one of the druid clans or something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hra Mormo posted:

I did the 2nd capstone dungeon to unlock WT4 at level 60 with my half-assed ice build sorc in pretty lovely gear. When I first got in and saw the levels of the stuff in there, I thought it might not be possible but I'm glad I stuck with it. My damage was totally fine, but for the first time in the game I couldn't just facetank everything and I actually had to mind my positioning. Compare this to WT3, where I think I used a potion like maybe half a dozen times, total, during 50-60. The last boss in particular one or two-shot me with every move, even through all my barriers and regardless what elixir I tried throwing on top. For the first time in the game my heart rate actually went up a bit, it was great. Still melted from like 50% to dead once I landed the stagger

Definitely recommend anyone bored of WT3 to try the capstone as early as possible. After beating the capstone I went on to start soloing WT4 content with zero issues, though poo poo has started to steadily approach WT3 in terms of challenge again as I gain levels and ancestral gear, so I guess I'll have to start pushing NMs if I want to keep things interesting.

This is definitely the easiest iteration of Diablo I've ever played, as long as you can find one of the skills that is actually functional you'll be completely fine and the elites in the game are a complete joke even on WT4.

I tried it with arc lash and I simply did not have to the health/defense for Elias but yeah you can pretty much push through the dungeon 10 under level no problem. I'll give it another go in a few levels or if I change my build.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stux posted:

really? you played them, properly built and geared?

https://i.imgur.com/7k8e8rC.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/isfLRiV.mp4
being functionally immortal against large elite packs in high tier nm dungeons while still having the dps to chunk thru them isnt good enough for t4? or did you just hear someone say it and give up on a character you clicked things randomly on

That looks great, I'm also having a good time with blood, at least when there are big packs to boost surge damage and generate corpses. How does it do against single targets? Are you mostly stacking attack speed and overpower damage to get to those guaranteed overpowers as quickly as possible? Your resource generation is insane compared to where mine is at the moment, I assume that's a well-rolled umbral aspect and the frost trail boots? Maybe a Black River?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

The east is beyond my rear end!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Always to the rear end

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Hashy posted:

i bet you wish a grand piano would fall on your enemies when you're standing in their death pools chaining casts for 3% of their health pools

if i wanted thaht i would just build damage

Tarnop posted:

That looks great, I'm also having a good time with blood, at least when there are big packs to boost surge damage and generate corpses. How does it do against single targets? Are you mostly stacking attack speed and overpower damage to get to those guaranteed overpowers as quickly as possible? Your resource generation is insane compared to where mine is at the moment, I assume that's a well-rolled umbral aspect and the frost trail boots? Maybe a Black River?

im actually looking for an umbral right now, its the one aspect i really want im missing, ive got essence gain from blood orbs when full hp atm just bcos the codex umbral doesnt do enough to help. if a max roll one doesnt either ill probably switch out of the frost trail boots but we'll see.

yeah its basically all tank, then overpower damage and willpower on the paragon board, with a max rolled rathma's chosen aspect on the amulet + i use an attack speed elixir for nm dungeons. single target just comes down to being lucky with corpses, doing it this way you need to burn through so many to keep up resources getting unlucky can hurt. solo elites w cold enchanted + vampiric + high attack speed is the most threatening thing in the game for it lol. you could build way more raw damage and focus int instead of willpower and have it be less of a problem tho, i just want to lean on the gimmick cos its fun. and yeah a black river, when i get some more attack speed i might try without it again but its big for keepign up with blood surge costs without letting rathma's chosen drop off.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are the odds any different for gambling with red dust vs gambling with obols?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
This is my first diablo and I知 having fun but it seems like I知 pretty bad at it? I知 struggling with the wt3 capstone on a 59 arc sorc, maybe I should go back to ice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's pretty bad tbqh

Get better items

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah that's pretty bad tbqh

Get better items

Do I just keep doing whispers or is there a way to actually target it? Should I be socketing or upgrading at this point? Imprinting on rares? Other things??

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

60-70 is such a grind, I'm slowly losing my will to even try to get to WT4

Have you tried the capstone dungeon? It's not easy but it definitely does not need you to wait until 70. If your build is online and you have decent sacred gear in most slots I think it's worth giving it a first attempt around 60.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

coelomate posted:

If you're over 60, the answer is probably to get to WT4 right now. 64-70 were some of the fastest levels in the game after I cleared the capstone and moved into WT4, because you get double XP and quickly have ancestral gear to clear quickly, but the level 70 XP wall hasn't hit yet.

Huh, that was way easier than I thought! Breezed right through it as a lvl 62 death trap rogue, only died twice and both times were to a nasty elite pack.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Are the odds any different for gambling with red dust vs gambling with obols?

Anecdotally they seem significantly more skewed towards legendaries, yes. Rate of Ancestral stuff seems equally not great but it's been an effective way to farm for aspects for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Huh, that was way easier than I thought! Breezed right through it as a lvl 62 death trap rogue, only died twice and both times were to a nasty elite pack.

Grats dude. WT4 can feel a lot harder at first but once you get some Ancestral weapons you'll catch up with the curve very quickly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hoshi posted:

Do I just keep doing whispers or is there a way to actually target it? Should I be socketing or upgrading at this point? Imprinting on rares? Other things??

All of those things! The most straightforward activity is probably to finish your WT2 renown bonuses while also doing tree of whispers activities by completing dungeons and strongholds. Upgrading your gear at a blacksmith and jeweler to just-shy of max is cheap.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Itemization is weird in this game.

Being able for any rare drop from my world tier be useful is cool and good.

Gating uniques to end game and having them have two sub categories seems odd.

It痴 like they mashed D3 and D2s items together as hard as they could and then dumped on more affixes to confuse casual players.

Bring back FCR FHR and breakpoints, I have a smooth brain.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hoshi posted:

This is my first diablo and I’m having fun but it seems like I’m pretty bad at it? I’m struggling with the wt3 capstone on a 59 arc sorc, maybe I should go back to ice

Do you mean the capstone to take you to wt4? Because the boss there is like level 72 and he would one-shot me at 59. I wouldn't say you're bad, you just need to level up a bit more before attempting it again.

I personally went back and forth between arc lash and ice shards multiple times and I do have to say I found my ice shard sorc to be a lot more powerful in general, but they both seem fine if you like the playstyle.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Clocks posted:

Do you mean the capstone to take you to wt4? Because the boss there is like level 72 and he would one-shot me at 59. I wouldn't say you're bad, you just need to level up a bit more before attempting it again.

I personally went back and forth between arc lash and ice shards multiple times and I do have to say I found my ice shard sorc to be a lot more powerful in general, but they both seem fine if you like the playstyle.

Yes I mean the capstone to get into wt4 which i think you have to do in wt3, which is why I phrased it that way. I guess I値l just keep leveling a bit and try it again at 60

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

All of those things! The most straightforward activity is probably to finish your WT2 renown bonuses while also doing tree of whispers activities by completing dungeons and strongholds. Upgrading your gear at a blacksmith and jeweler to just-shy of max is cheap.

There痴 part of me that is just so resistant to upgrading gear I知 going to replace in short order once I get to wt4, but I guess I gotta

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I did the lvl 70 capstone dungeon at 63 an my Rogue and the only thing that got me through the boss fight was the 900 armor elixir. Don't forget to use one of those, it might give you the last 5% you need.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hoshi posted:

There痴 part of me that is just so resistant to upgrading gear I知 going to replace in short order once I get to wt4, but I guess I gotta

Oh my bad, I thought you were talking going from WT2 to WT3. Being underleveled is going to be rough if your gear isn't that great either. Upgrading gear at vendors is incredibly cheap and gives you some pretty decent bonuses.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

friendly note that applying lower tier aspects to higher tier gear takes massively more raw materials

normal legendary (or codex) Aspect onto an ancestral item is something insane like 60 rare crystals and 3x the legendary mats

even sacred to ancestral is expensive

tldr, nuke your vault once you've comfortably moved up a tier unless you don't mind paying out the rear end to imprint

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It really sucks when you ruin a high-level aspect by putting it on gear that lowers the stat range, too. I'll pay more attention to that in the future

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have not at all been paying attention to that so thanks for the reminder :tipshat:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I think I知 gonna go back to ice, the lightning stuff seems very fun but also seems like it really takes a lot of cdr/crit to not feel like a wet fart 75% of the time

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hoshi posted:

I think I知 gonna go back to ice, the lightning stuff seems very fun but also seems like it really takes a lot of cdr/crit to not feel like a wet fart 75% of the time

Ice also requires a ton of CDR.

It just has stronger burst, but then you have to wait for the cooldown to clear mobs.

Lightning is pretty fun and can actually be much better than ice for single targets if you have the aspect that gives you 6 mana back each time your lightning bounces off of you because it gives infinite mana during boss fights. But, cold is generally a lot easier and is much more consistent. Lightning is basically the gambler's build because you either high-roll with constant crits, lucky hits, and talent procs or you don't and run out of mana and damage very quickly.

I really liked Lightning's gameplay, but the hurt from the lack of AoE and inconsistency really starts to show in higher NM tiers.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

goferchan posted:

Grats dude. WT4 can feel a lot harder at first but once you get some Ancestral weapons you'll catch up with the curve very quickly

Thanks! I don't know if it's just rogues being busted as hell but so far WT4 doesn't feel that much harder than WT3. Elites and regular mobs seem to die pretty fast still and I'm not nearly as squishy as I though I'd be.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Thanks for the input y誕ll. I clearly need to get my cdr in line, that痴 gonna be a big key

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Huh, gave it a shot at 64 and destroyed the capstone. Boss' breakbar broke and he just fell over. Died twice to lo....ading, but otherwise not too bad. Now to completely regear everything.

Hoshi posted:

Whispers are pretty bad. Do helltides and gamble for targeting. Might as well socket as there's no reason not to - you can pull the gems and even if you couldn't you get so many. Upgrading is cheap and can be super effective at five upgrades. Also yes, imprint rares to make your own good legendaries. You shouldn't need to do a whole lot to break into wt3, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got two shockwave legs from the same event chest. It is my lucky day. one is 92% out of 100%

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 16, 2023

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mailer posted:

Whispers are pretty bad. Do helltides and gamble for targeting. Might as well socket as there's no reason not to - you can pull the gems and even if you couldn't you get so many. Upgrading is cheap and can be super effective at five upgrades. Also yes, imprint rares to make your own good legendaries. You shouldn't need to do a whole lot to break into wt3, though.

Is the loot from pvp areas pvp-specific?

I知 looking to break into wt4! Got into wt3 at like level 43 with no real gear considerations so this feels like a big step up

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Got my shockwave aspect as well from random gloves while farming obols for totems. I basically sprinted through the WT4 capstone and beat the boss without alot of sweat. No deaths. Feels good.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

victrix posted:

friendly note that applying lower tier aspects to higher tier gear takes massively more raw materials

normal legendary (or codex) Aspect onto an ancestral item is something insane like 60 rare crystals and 3x the legendary mats

even sacred to ancestral is expensive

tldr, nuke your vault once you've comfortably moved up a tier unless you don't mind paying out the rear end to imprint

I知 swimming in so many crafting mats I have never even looked at the recipe cost for literally anything since level 20. Gold is the only limiting factor (eaten up by enchanting).

Elites just drop crafting mats. I think I have like 800 veiled crystals and I stopped salvaging gear (in favor of selling) 20 levels ago.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Is the loot from pvp areas pvp-specific?

I知 looking to break into wt4! Got into wt3 at like level 43 with no real gear considerations so this feels like a big step up

Nah gear is gear. If you can survive other players the mob density in the pvp zones makes for actually pretty good farming and you can gamble with red dust.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Suburban Dad posted:

Did the Necro capstone at 61 and died to the boss like 50 times, but eventually beat it. Pretty bullshit fight for Necro who has no mobility. Felt like a POE boss fight, ugh. T4 was too hard so I tried to focus my build a little bit. It got worse. I decided to reroll another class, a rogue. Picked some skills and then opened the map. Saw it was completely blank and unexplored, so I closed the game. Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Nah gear is gear. If you can survive other players the mob density in the pvp zones makes for actually pretty good farming and you can gamble with red dust.

I don't think you actually need to pvp. Just don't tag up and you can farm there and do the quests still, I was able to do that last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Avalerion posted:

I don't think you actually need to pvp. Just don't tag up and you can farm there and do the quests still, I was able to do that last night.

Other people can bloodmark themselves and still attack you if they want.