Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

don't mean to be a dick, but from this article you posted it looks like LG has pretty much fixed it

Also, even that article points out that you have to really gently caress up for it to be a problem:

quote:

Does this mean that everyone should avoid QD-OLED displays? Probably not. Our test is an extreme case. Two months of runtime on our test is the equivalent of watching about four hours of CNN per day, for about eight months, without ever changing channels or watching anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crispyseaweed posted:

oh yeah I saw it in the WSJ. You'd think a PR guy would simmer down now that his story is being covered but he's spending his newfound free time responding to every tweet calling him a CIA agent

Well as the law as deputized every Canadian, particularly ones working for banks, to act as intelligence assets or face the unspecified penalty,

Enforcement

6 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Minister of Foreign Affairs is responsible for the administration and enforcement of this Act.

He's probably smart to loudly trumpet how compliant he was to immunize himself.

Immunity

(2) No proceedings under the Special Economic Measures Act and no civil proceedings lie against a person for a disclosure made in good faith under subsection (1).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1669266977767014400

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Megamissen posted:

wishing xi a blessed happy birthday

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

just imagine a whole generation of incel culture averted thanks to reading ben franklins guidelines on getting laid

i keep approaching old plump women while waggling my eyebrows up and down like milhouse but it's yet to lead to anything

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1669294781577478144

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

they should tour the states

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a great book maybe 10 years ago about the reception of Greek and Roman Antiquity in East Asia that, yes, mentioned the Jesuits and whatever but mostly emphasized that Chinese academics are very talented researchers in all fields and are already making contributions to the literature.

yeah no poo poo the american capitalists had enough of their uppity students in the 60s and have been strip mining academia ever since

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the law now, actually

Special Economic Measures Act
Special Economic Measures (People’s Republic of China) Regulations

Duty to disclose — RCMP or CSIS

7 (1) Every person in Canada, every Canadian outside Canada and every entity set out in section 6 must disclose without delay to the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or to the Director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service

(a) the existence of property in their possession or control that they have reason to believe is owned, held or controlled by or on behalf of a listed person; and

(b) any information about a transaction or proposed transaction in respect of property referred to in paragraph (a).

Where a listed person is

A person whose name is listed in the schedule is a person who is in the People’s Republic of China, or is a national of the People’s Republic of China who does not ordinarily reside in Canada, and in respect of whom the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to believe is

(a) a person who has participated in gross and systematic human rights violations in the People’s Republic of China;

(b) a current or former senior official of the Government of the People’s Republic of China;

(c) an associate or family member of a person referred to in paragraph (a) or (b);

(d) an entity owned, held or controlled, directly or indirectly, by a person referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) or acting on behalf of or at the direction of a person referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or

(e) a senior official of an entity referred to in paragraph (d).

Which means if you are a Canadian, you must snitch to the internal security service or intelligence service if you know about any business involving any Chinese person, more or less, since "an associate or family member of a person in the government" is the tip of the iceberg in terms of how broad the application they wrote into that was.

he'd qualify under section b since the aiib president is a former finance ministry official. lmao at him hearing or being told anything about the bank from its leader and being technically legally required to leave immediately and report it to the rcmp

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Also, even that article points out that you have to really gently caress up for it to be a problem:

maybe OP watches four hours of CNN per day without ever changing channels or watching anything else

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not upset about China, I don't understand the hysteria that Chinese academics read the books foist on them in western universities.

Admitting the rest of the world outside "the garden of western civilization and culture" may not actually be a wild jungle after all would be world perspective shattering heresy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BULBASAUR posted:

maybe OP watches four hours of CNN per day without ever changing channels or watching anything else

It's how I train in media literacy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ytlaya posted:

wow. sounds like i need to avoid oleds for now until they fix the cnn bug

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crispyseaweed posted:

So this Canadian PR professional who went to work for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is leaving after a year and some change, running to the Canadian government about how it has been infiltrated by Chinese communists and burning all sorts of bridges for whatever reason

https://twitter.com/BobPickard/status/1668871011968663553

https://twitter.com/BobPickard/status/1669306537209380864

rich white bankers, truly the most oppressed and morally upright gorup on this planet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Ultimately I'm far more concerned about the problems presented by having bankers be in the party then I am about the party being in the bank

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1669505341141430274

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Any improvement in the rest of the world is a nightmare for the USA.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

R. Guyovich posted:

he'd qualify under section b since the aiib president is a former finance ministry official. lmao at him hearing or being told anything about the bank from its leader and being technically legally required to leave immediately and report it to the rcmp

Why don't people trust us?! :(

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

But he noted that since the financial crisis of 2007, "there's a growth of a mood which suggests, 'Hey, listen, what you sold us as the global interest is actually your parochial interest, and we want to put forward our own national interest.'"

This trend has only been accelerated by growing Chinese economic initiatives that have also fortified Beijing's influence across the globe.

"Many countries are making a calculation, and they'll say, 'Chinese capital, whether it's private or public capital, it's not a utopia, it's not a salvation, but it's certainly not coming with the kind of conditionalities that are imposed by the International Monetary Fund,'" Prashad said.

:hai:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the law now, actually

Special Economic Measures Act
Special Economic Measures (People’s Republic of China) Regulations

Duty to disclose — RCMP or CSIS

7 (1) Every person in Canada, every Canadian outside Canada and every entity set out in section 6 must disclose without delay to the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or to the Director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service

(a) the existence of property in their possession or control that they have reason to believe is owned, held or controlled by or on behalf of a listed person; and

(b) any information about a transaction or proposed transaction in respect of property referred to in paragraph (a).

Where a listed person is

A person whose name is listed in the schedule is a person who is in the People’s Republic of China, or is a national of the People’s Republic of China who does not ordinarily reside in Canada, and in respect of whom the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to believe is

(a) a person who has participated in gross and systematic human rights violations in the People’s Republic of China;

(b) a current or former senior official of the Government of the People’s Republic of China;

(c) an associate or family member of a person referred to in paragraph (a) or (b);

(d) an entity owned, held or controlled, directly or indirectly, by a person referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) or acting on behalf of or at the direction of a person referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or

(e) a senior official of an entity referred to in paragraph (d).

Which means if you are a Canadian, you must snitch to the internal security service or intelligence service if you know about any business involving any Chinese person, more or less, since "an associate or family member of a person in the government" is the tip of the iceberg in terms of how broad the application they wrote into that was.

if i snitch on my chinese landlord to based CSIS does this mean i get to own my apartment now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/spktrvc/status/1669431088278831105

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Any improvement in the rest of the world is a nightmare for the USA.

that's right

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's time

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

it's time

vince is in for it now

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Taiwan People's Party has pulled ahead of the KMT and into second place in the latest opinion polls. DPP is at 24.6%, TPP is at 22.2%, and the KMT is at 20.4%.

The DPP and KMT have both been rocked due to sexual harressment scandals.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Megamissen posted:

wishing xi a blessed happy birthday

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The sex scandals also brought down the biggest political live streamer. He is kind of a mixture of loud mouth shock jock and Joe Rogan type interviewer. He is generally anti green, anti ruling-party; and the allegation was brought by a KMT female legislator so its real.

He also started his career as the Taiwanese LotR translator. Yes he has a bizarre career.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thinking about Taiwanese Jimmy Dore

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Supposedly, the TPP is fairly pro-Beijing, but Taiwanese used a FPTP system, so it is a good question if they are get an advantage on the DPP or if some vote shifting happens between the TPP/KMT or they just negate each other and let the DPP through with 34% of the vote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if this was one of those MAD situations for both major parties to implode under sex scandals, or just a shift in the atmosphere. Or Beijing machinations out of the sitcom playbook, which I thoroughly approve of.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I used to watch his show.

I still can't get over a political commentator groped an elected legislator no the other way around. I think we are in for a wild ride until the Jan election.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I mean it sounds like the guy is basically the King of All Taiwanese Media

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

This is my president

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Every bit from the Mask except he's wearing a sunflower yellow Nehru jacket instead of a zoot suit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Indian right wingers seriously seem wilded out that their white counterparts don't give a poo poo about them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they are still stuck in early web 2.0 muslamic mode lol.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you believe the US position on China, Trump's right.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indian right wingers seriously seem wilded out that their white counterparts don't give a poo poo about them.

It's the indian equivalent of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's the indian equivalent of this

lol