Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That makes sense, thanks. Will try a couple more times but seems like I’m getting chatter in both the harder and softer ice rinks so will probably switch back after another week or two if it doesn’t improve.

I was taking with the people in my beginner clinic who’re in the learn to play league and they’re saying it’s a big jump to even the lowest D tier league since apparently it’s mostly made of people who were playing in high school even if they didn’t continue to college. I’ll still try to go for it when I can, but the issue is that LTP league only has so many spots. Theoretically you’re supposed to make friends and form teams from there but I can see the intimidation keeping people at LTP and preventing more from joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I lift three days a week and skate twice a week, but the day after my first actual hockey game in a year, my entire body is so sore from using all those tiny muscles I forgot that I needed to play hockey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So when do you schedule leg day?

I’m trying to figure out how to do a regular lifting schedule again while skating 2-3 times a week so it’s always leg day

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m trying to figure out how to do a regular lifting schedule again while skating 2-3 times a week so it’s always leg day

I don't have much space, so my lifting sessions just involve a bench and a huge set of powerblock adjustable dumbbells that go from 0 to 125 lbs each in 2.5 lb increments. I lift MWF and skate Tu/Th. I do a different variety of exercises on each lifting day, so there's always at least a couple leg workouts every day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey tires you out but you probably won't see much in the way of gains doing it so it's not really a "leg day." It's a draining your energy reserves and, optimistically, building cardio day.

So proper resistance training is useful, do it any day you aren't skating. As long as you have 1 actual rest day a week you'll be fine. The constant workload will only benefit you over time (until you get old and something wears out and then you get to manage that).

Don't forget arm day either because playing hockey doesn't do poo poo for your upper body.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Whenever. The only thing I don’t do on hockey days is hard cardio. Either lifting (leg day is fine) or a 2-3 mile run.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I did leg day the morning before practice night once and I was wondering why I was so slow and sore the entire time :cry:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I did leg day the morning before practice night once and I was wondering why I was so slow and sore the entire time :cry:

I believe the chirpy comment here is something along the lines of "because you're out of shape" :cheeky:

Really though, it's because you're using your legs in a different way. The way it was explained to me is that we're training endurance, explosive, flexibility, and recovery into our body. So all the skating we do really helps with the endurance, but we can't really increase our explosive twitch tissue without doing lifting and/or plyometric training for the muscles. There's a limit to our weight and how much time we're really exploding on the ice, and it being an environment where we avoid as much friction as possible there are some big limiting factors. Flexibility is just as important but most of us probably don't do a lot of if the sample of how beer league players "stretch/warmup" holds across geographic areas. We'd run the kids through 15 minutes of dynamic and static stretching before games (we did not get them off ice before practice or they'd have done it there too). Recovery is something that is important and stretching after and the day after along with more cardio probably doesn't get done for a lot of people either. "Vitamin R" aka Rainier lager is not a proper recovery beverage no matter what we tell ourselves.

I'm down to only 3-4 days of ice time a week now with it being summer, and it's been really nice to finally have time to address some of these things for myself too. Some weeks of this last season had me on the ice 7+ days straight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know of good options aside from men's league sweaters for getting a single custom uniform that can do both pant shells and jersey?

Am looking to make a uniform like below and I'm already mocking up a logo for shoulders and main logo. However, the main issue I have with men's league sweaters is that they have limited pant shell designs, looking like it's only stripes, and you need a minimum order of 10. I'd very much like to have the triangular pattern for the hem of the pants.

Jhet posted:

I believe the chirpy comment here is something along the lines of "because you're out of shape" :cheeky:

Yeah, much out of shape compared to pre-covid, but even then I always had DOMS after squats/etc. on leg days so I was always a bit sore somewhere no matter what, and soreness on some part of the body with 3/4-day splits. Trying to figure out how I want to do my split days and all too. What sucks is the limitations of equipment/machines at the closest gym and working that in.

I have gotten much better with flexibility compared to previous sports I've done. Yoga and some physical therapy I was doing helps a lot with opening and loosening the hips.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thought I included this part but guess I didn't:

quote:

Flexibility is just as important but most of us probably don't do a lot of if the sample of how beer league players "stretch/warmup" holds across geographic areas. We'd run the kids through 15 minutes of dynamic and static stretching before games (we did not get them off ice before practice or they'd have done it there too). Recovery is something that is important and stretching after and the day after along with more cardio probably doesn't get done for a lot of people either. "Vitamin R" aka Rainier lager is not a proper recovery beverage no matter what we tell ourselves.

Do you have a good stretching warmup and cooldown/recovery routine you could share? I've looked at some online and been using some figure skating routines but there might be something better. I've noticed as I have gotten more powerful on the ice that I've had some soreness around the glutes from time to time but that might just be from falls

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warmup is pretty easy, knock back a beer and chat with your bros as you wait for the zamboni to finish. Maybe do some leg swings to convince yourself you're ready to skate. Once you get on the ice maybe do groin stretches in the ref's crease because you've seen pros do that and it means you don't have to build up a sweat.

Cooldown is more involved, you gotta think about stuff from the game to bullshit about and decide how many beers you can tolerate before it becomes illegal to drive home.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ I enjoy kicking beer leaguers out of my crease. That's where I do my 4 stretches before the first game and where I stand around and talk for the 5 minutes before all the others in the night.

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you have a good stretching warmup and cooldown/recovery routine you could share? I've looked at some online and been using some figure skating routines but there might be something better. I've noticed as I have gotten more powerful on the ice that I've had some soreness around the glutes from time to time but that might just be from falls

Here's the routine we use warming up the kids.

Toe touchers (Frankensteins), High Knees, Butt Kickers, Crossovers (Karaoke), and a light jog are what we use for our dynamic stretching. Then we have them circle up and do while standing (mostly) still: arm circles, arm bars with a torso twist, neck rolls, shoulder rolls, alternate toe touches and straight toe touches, and deep breathing. We'll add fun stretches that get suggested/requested. They liked straight arm with a wrist stretch by the end of the season and one kid was double jointed so they wanted the "stretch where you bent your thumb backward" too. It would take us about 15 minutes, but a person that isn't 8-10 years old could probably do it properly in 8ish.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 16, 2023

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Warmup is pretty easy, knock back a beer and chat with your bros as you wait for the zamboni to finish. Maybe do some leg swings to convince yourself you're ready to skate. Once you get on the ice maybe do groin stretches in the ref's crease because you've seen pros do that and it means you don't have to build up a sweat.

Cooldown is more involved, you gotta think about stuff from the game to bullshit about and decide how many beers you can tolerate before it becomes illegal to drive home.

You left out the warm up routine of trying to deke out the cold goalie and also hitting them in the mask.

Cooldown is spot on, though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Wait, I thought warming up the goalie was taking a clapper when their back is turned.

During the summer, I play with a different team and I shake my head every time during warmup when they don't even try to warm the goalie up and just shoot on net.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
One of the goalies last night in a game had to be retrieved from the locker room. He was one of the first people there and ready according to his teammates, just wanted to come out for zero warmup.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

calandryll posted:

Wait, I thought warming up the goalie was taking a clapper when their back is turned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaB3EvcjbVU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

I don't remember anyone taping our last warm up.

Jhet posted:

One of the goalies last night in a game had to be retrieved from the locker room. He was one of the first people there and ready according to his teammates, just wanted to come out for zero warmup.

One of our goalies is like that. Most of his goals against him are in the first period.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

One of our goalies is like that. Most of his goals against him are in the first period.

Funny enough, they did lose and most of the goals against were in the 1st.

I try to warm up our goalie as well as possible. We could run some actual warm up routines too, as we know plenty. We just forget to do them, and most of the team does the traditional beer league warm up, including just passing the puck at the wall from 8 feet away.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My goalie likes to walk out after warmup ends. We've gotten used to just shooting at an empty net while the goalie pounds his 4th pregame beer and smokes a joint before making 50 something saves as he single handedly wins us the game again

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

RC Cola posted:

My goalie likes to walk out after warmup ends. We've gotten used to just shooting at an empty net while the goalie pounds his 4th pregame beer and smokes a joint before making 50 something saves as he single handedly wins us the game again

Oh! Is that what I'm doing wrong? drat!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Whenever a goalie scrapes the ice to get their crease how they want it, it reminds me of a cat using a litter box.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whenever a goalie scrapes the ice to get their crease how they want it, it reminds me of a cat using a litter box.

Thread title right here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

calandryll posted:

Thread title right here.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Bradf0rd posted:

You left out the warm up routine of trying to deke out the cold goalie and also hitting them in the mask.

Cooldown is spot on, though.

I would never do that. I'll take slappers while the rest of the guys are crossing behind their net after weak one-timer drills

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

head high slappers only

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vargatron posted:

head high slappers only

I will never get tired of watching Mark Scheifele launching a bar-down slapper at a child.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1143287026588033024

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have any experience with cages or hybrids that fit a respirator pretty well? I don’t mind using my disposable masks but they do get sweaty and harder to breathe later on in a session so gonna switch to using a respirator. Maybe sizing up the cage (I’m using a medium rn) might help with more room? I’m looking at getting the quarter mask not half mask kind so the chin will still be open for the strap.

If not my best option is prob gonna be using a visor and learning to keep my hand up to protect my jaw I guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^A larger mask will give you a little more room vertically to the chin, I don't know how much further they bow out. Best option is to try to look at them both and see how big the curve difference is. A bubble or visor on top, cage on the chin might work too if you get the right size. I have only a visor for my zebra games, and it often doesn't feel very safe and I have two hands free to cover on faceoffs and in the corner when sticks start to come up.

I played center last night, and I think we need to teach most of our D how to defend. They would both go and get stuck in the corner, sometimes the same corner, and no one would cover the net front except for me leaving me 2 on 1. It was not what I was expecting from it and there was a lot of talking on the bench about when to get stuck in and when not to push the corners. We figured it out better in the 2nd, and were even better with it in the 3rd.

It was what I expected to be doing in the o-zone at least. I got to chase down pucks, move them up ice, crash the net and corners and try to make offense from the middle of the ice a lot more and that was fun. It can be difficult to get into the middle from the wing in the oz, especially when I'm breaking out the puck myself and we can't cycle worth anything. So I either have to carry it myself and break towards the middle while picking up both D, or I have to try to manufacture a chance from outside and the timing of that means it can happen 1 out of 3 times. So what I think I'll try when I play wing next is to take that center lane drive in the neutral and make the center take a different lane or be available for a drop pass. It'll at least give me a better angle for a shot.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 27, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I play with a hybrid and the visor sticks out a bit further but the lower cage part is basically identical in dimensions to a full cage. Are you not able to just swap masks out once one gets too sweaty? When we had to play wearing masks post COVID I put on a new one at intermission for the exact reason you mentioned.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

A dude who was wearing a visor got hit in the mouth with a shot at rat hockey. He got a big bruise and said his teeth feel looser now. Wear cages, kids!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

he really should have been wearing his respirator

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oof, yeah that's why I really don't want to switch to a visor. I think I probably have more space than I think in my cage, and maybe I might be able to adjust the hooks or use third party/steel hooks to have the cage sit slightly further from my face if needed

From what I've seen, quarter masks should work well since they only go up to the lips and leave the chin free for the chin rest

.Spec posted:

I play with a hybrid and the visor sticks out a bit further but the lower cage part is basically identical in dimensions to a full cage. Are you not able to just swap masks out once one gets too sweaty? When we had to play wearing masks post COVID I put on a new one at intermission for the exact reason you mentioned.

I think that's the problem, namely that I"d have to go out out from the benches, find a spot where I think might be less trafficked (though indoor place so air spreads everywhere anyway), hold breath, and switch.

So I'd like to switch and just keep it on until I take a water break outside.

quote:

^A larger mask will give you a little more room vertically to the chin, I don't know how much further they bow out. Best option is to try to look at them both and see how big the curve difference is. A bubble or visor on top, cage on the chin might work too if you get the right size.

Yeah guess I'll just have to compare, thank.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 29, 2023

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you have some sort of condition complicating potential covid? You’re like 20X more likely to die driving to the rink than from covid.

Swapping a mask on the bench for ten seconds isn’t going to infect you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shut up chemmy, we have to see this contraption through and then the damage when it gets smashed into their face when someone runs into them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chemmy posted:

Do you have some sort of condition complicating potential covid? You’re like 20X more likely to die driving to the rink than from covid.

Swapping a mask on the bench for ten seconds isn’t going to infect you.

Doesn't matter, what's it to you?

sellouts posted:

shut up chemmy, we have to see this contraption through and then the damage when it gets smashed into their face when someone runs into them

:rolleyes:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was in Pure Hockey yesterday and saw Bauer completely updated their line of their Profile Jofa-style cages.

3 price points, all the regular colors/finishes including a new gunmetal option, oval wiring on the 2 higher ones, but most interesting is the highest option is made of titanium, with all the same paint options. I don't think anybody's ever offered painted titanium player cages before. They're $90 US for titanium and don't appear to be online yet, not even Bauer's own website had them up. They're as light as a feather.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 29, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shaving 150 grams off my helmet is what I've been waiting for to elevate my game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Other musings:

- Went back to a girdle (Tackla) after a few years in pro stock pants. Immediate improvement, I wore a girdle for over a decade and don't really remember why I switched in the first place

- A teammate of mine dropped over $300 on a pair of True pro stock sticks from Pro Stock Hockey, and they both snapped after maybe 10 skates

- Another one of my teammates constantly shows up to games over a period late and we don't know how to get him to stop short of kicking him off. It doesn't matter when the game is either and it's getting tiresome. We also suspect he has a substance abuse problem and he's related to another teammate, so that just adds to things. Nice guy, but man

- My 3 y/o daughter is learning to ice skate and she can take steps unassisted now :3:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 29, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

This is super dumb and a super dick thing to say. I assume you don't have his medical record on hand, so if he wants to wear a mask, let him wear a mask.

e: And before you correct me to respirator from mask, this is a respirator commonly used for COVID:
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/3m-n95-particulate-respirator-usa-8210.html

Hardly larger than a standard mask, so I doubt any face smashing will be happening. Stop being a dick.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have any experience with cages or hybrids that fit a respirator pretty well? I don’t mind using my disposable masks but they do get sweaty and harder to breathe later on in a session so gonna switch to using a respirator. Maybe sizing up the cage (I’m using a medium rn) might help with more room? I’m looking at getting the quarter mask not half mask kind so the chin will still be open for the strap.

If not my best option is prob gonna be using a visor and learning to keep my hand up to protect my jaw I guess.
https://www.amazon.com/WARGATE-Shield-Protector-Hockey-Accessory/dp/B08KWTFR26

Maybe this?