Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Timby posted:

Homicide: Life on the Street, too.

It's always amazing when great shows like that come out to great acclaim, when people try and copy them they always seem completely not understand what made them great and just take some surface level style stuff that doesn't work without all the rest of it.

The shaky cam from the Bourne films was the worst for this I think. That ruined so many action films for at least a decade or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And the shutter-speed fuckery from Private Ryan and Gladiator that was ripped off by second-rate directors for half a decade. "It makes the action look realistic and immediate!" No, it makes the action look like stop-motion.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

And the shutter-speed fuckery from Private Ryan and Gladiator that was ripped off by second-rate directors for half a decade. "It makes the action look realistic and immediate!" No, it makes the action look like stop-motion.

I remember openly laughing at the TV when Enterprise started doing it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

All I remember from Boston Legal is how horribly mysogistic it was with it's very boomer views on women and all the Star Trek people running around in it.

It also had a revolving door cast of people just coming and going all the time to the point where they would even do fourth wall break jokes like "Wait, when did YOU start appearing in the opening credits?" I assume the Boys Club shitshow atmosphere behind and in front of the camera contributed to a lot of actors just going "gently caress this crap, I'm out" or getting fired by David E. Kelly for not "playing ball".

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
despite their name being BOTHA DEEZ NUTS, the alien race in persistence of vision were very creepy + good, shame they never showed up again

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Many Bothans died to bring us this episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Happy Captain Picard Day, everybody.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have now actually played the Star Fleet Battle Force card game and... it kinda owns? It's got a real good Fire Emblem paper-scissors-rock attack and defense mechanic that means you can counter enemy attacks by spending your own attack cards. It's pretty simple to learn and actually feels like you're playing a spaceship battle in the Star Trek universe without being overly complicated.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Armin Shimerman - the early days

Can you guess where this is from?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

The shaky cam from the Bourne films was the worst for this I think. That ruined so many action films for at least a decade or two.

Oof, and that was from the second Bourne on - I remember being impressed by some shots from Bourne 1 where the camera stayed very steady during action and we saw him do things clearly that films would normally have obscured to cover up movie cheats. Then in the second they went as far as possible in the other direction.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Oof, and that was from the second Bourne on - I remember being impressed by some shots from Bourne 1 where the camera stayed very steady during action and we saw him do things clearly that films would normally have obscured to cover up movie cheats. Then in the second they went as far as possible in the other direction.
I think this is a YMMV thing, because I never had any trouble following Greengrass's action sequences in Supremacy and Ultimatum; however much the camera was moving, it was always clear what you were meant to be looking at even as stuff was going on around it. (It helped that his car chases always involved visually distinctive vehicles - as much as I love Ronin, the big chase through Paris involved two large dark saloons where if you can't tell a BMW from a Peugeot in a split-second you might not know which you're looking at.)

The knock-offs, though, settled for just thrashing the camera around wildly and doing 12 cuts for every action. Looking at you, Quantum of Solace.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Armin Shimerman - the early days

Can you guess where this is from?

LA Law?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Timby posted:

LA Law?

Close. The show had a legal aspect.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m going to rewatch TNG and DS9 and would appreciate recommendations for watch-along podcasts. I like an equal mix of “why do I enjoy this bullshit” and “Star Trek is serious business”, if that helps.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Close. The show had a legal aspect.

Hill Street Blues?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Enterprise shamelessly copied that Voyager episode where Seven is alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate with their own episode where Dr Phlox is (mostly) alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate

Which is annoying because I feel like Season 3 is a step up overall over seasons 1-2

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powered Descent posted:

Hill Street Blues?

lol maybe it was remington steele

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

He kind of looks like Al Pacino in And Justice For All

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Powered Descent posted:

Hill Street Blues?

Think a LOT fewer episodes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FlamingLiberal posted:

Enterprise shamelessly copied that Voyager episode where Seven is alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate with their own episode where Dr Phlox is (mostly) alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate

Which is annoying because I feel like Season 3 is a step up overall over seasons 1-2

To be fair that's a good Seven episode

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Think a LOT fewer episodes.

Cop Rock!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Bingo!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Feldegast42 posted:

To be fair that's a good Seven episode

And a pretty decent Phlox episode, so...good concept, I guess.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hit it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbt2QdaCxA

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNry7vIs6w

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Will you be lost if you haven't played all infinity of the other games yet?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Khanstant posted:

It's supposed to be set before TNG so you just need to have played the TOS games on the SNES.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Just 1-1.54353 × 1014 Infinite sort of just ignores a lot of plot of the games after that. Fans pretty much agree that was a wise decision, that just went off in a whole weird direction. Soft reboot was a wise choice.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Lol, looks like you can make your own dynamic neutral zone.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
so its a Stellaris mod?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
No you have to pay for this one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's a shame games are released that aren't just Stellaris mods. :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

No you have to pay for this one.

We call those 'DLC'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's basically a nicely polished Stellaris total conversion. Hey, used to be that half the licensed property games out there were just that. Honestly, sounds fine to me, means you get a cool Trek game with some mechanical depth that isn't mod-janky.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm genuinely baffled that Paradox hasn't released a World Of Darkness game based off of Crusader Kings. There's a super popular mod for that and they own the WoD IP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I'm genuinely baffled that Paradox hasn't released a World Of Darkness game based off of Crusader Kings. There's a super popular mod for that and they own the WoD IP.

If you’re not aware basically the entire IP has been in various stages of flaming garbage pile for years ranging from “sexual abuser writes a visual novel where he attacks his critics” to “literally caused an international diplomatic incident with Chechnya”.

Bloodlines 2 is on what its second? third? dev team. Paradox wants to see some eggs in that basket actually hatch before adding any more.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think my ideal combination would be Stellaris + Crusader Kings + Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Star Dynasties was kinda angling in that direction but I lost track of it after early access, maybe it's good, who knows

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think something that hit me in DS9 was that it's episode with Q really shows his true colours - in other series he's more of a nuisance, a goofy imp who just shows up to do shenanigans and then go away once bored, but the episode with his Ex Vash shows him in a new, much crueler light that also shows how powerful he really is - when he reveals that after leaving the continuum, the only reason Vash survived her trip around the galaxy was that he'd been protecting her from countless diseases that she didn't even know existed. Then to make a point, he shows her what would have happened to her without his help, and suddenly most of her hair has fallen out, she's barely able to stand under her own power, and her skin has been badly ravaged by countless sores and buboes. It's a really effective scene to show how little empathy he has, that he would do that to someone just to make a stupid point.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I think something that hit me in DS9 was that it's episode with Q really shows his true colours - in other series he's more of a nuisance, a goofy imp who just shows up to do shenanigans and then go away once bored, but the episode with his Ex Vash shows him in a new, much crueler light that also shows how powerful he really is - when he reveals that after leaving the continuum, the only reason Vash survived her trip around the galaxy was that he'd been protecting her from countless diseases that she didn't even know existed. Then to make a point, he shows her what would have happened to her without his help, and suddenly most of her hair has fallen out, she's barely able to stand under her own power, and her skin has been badly ravaged by countless sores and buboes. It's a really effective scene to show how little empathy he has, that he would do that to someone just to make a stupid point.

i get what you mean, but since Q was just trying to prove that he was useful to her (and then "cured" her again, instantly), it kinda makes the opposite point: he's not completely without compassion and did care about her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Does he care for her or does he just want someone to be dependent on him?