Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress wolverine and gently caress the x-men

Read this in my head like “gently caress SNL and the whole cast”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

In MHW they also drastically reduced how often you need to sharpen, so why even include sharpening at all? Get rid of it, save us all from tedium. There's lock on for the monster so you don't need camera controls, having to control the camera yourself is pretty tedious. They could include auto attack so you don't need to tediously press the attack buttons over and over again. We've got cutscenes before and after every hunt now, so maybe they could have a character in a little inset window on the screen just chatting while you sit and watch the game so there's something to keep your attention other than just the tedium of a video game. No more tedium, no more worrying about resources, it's all handled for you.

I'm so happy about all of these QoL improvements! Finally, a life free from tedium!

They should make the Monster Hunter games a lot better but I suppose lovely controls are part of the franchise DNA for longtime fans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whetstones are basically health potions for your weapon so the answer is to use estus flasks and not blood vials

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Whetstones are basically health potions for your weapon so the answer is to use estus flasks and not blood vials

What’s the difference?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
you run out of blood vials and have to grind more if you die enough times (normally happens when attempting a boss a few times in a row). You get all of your estus potion charges back when you die or rest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Estus refills. Vials are Consumable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gripweed posted:

Monster Hunter World is, in the main, not a streamlined Monster Hunter with QoL improvements. It is a dumbed down Monster Hunter for lazy gamers.
do you post solely from inside the lockers you are constantly being crammed into for being such an obnoxious, tedious dork

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it always comes back to weapon durability in the end

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

do you post solely from inside the lockers you are constantly being crammed into for being such an obnoxious, tedious dork

I know my opinions may be unpopular. But I have never been one to court popularity.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There's a difference between holding an unpopular opinion and being incredibly condescending about others not having the same opinion or disagreeing with you.

One is fair and fine, different strokes for different folks. The other makes you a tedious rear end in a top hat.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 16, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Evil Kit posted:

There's a difference between holding an unpopular opinion and being incredibly condescending about others not having the same opinion or disagreeing with you.

The difference you are perceiving is not me being condescending. It is me having a strong belief in my position.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gaming conservatives always wanting things to be as inconvenient as the old days when they had to walk 15 clicks just to switch items to attack and they liked it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

The difference you are perceiving is not me being condescending. It is me having a strong belief in my position.

Telling someone to "grow up" Is pretty condescending I hate to break it to you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
turning away from gripweed being a stupid annoying moron as usual for something much cooler than him:

our very own Video Games played through Chrono Trigger a couple months ago, and while the twitch VODs are no longer on twitch(and thus you miss some of the interactions with goon chat, which is a shame because there were some really, really good gotchas from chat) he has thankfully uploaded them to youtube upon request so everyone can enjoy them. it's a very fun experience of someone who is just a little bit on the scatterbrained side, going through chrono trigger totally blind. it's a wonderful time, I greatly enjoyed having it on as a stream while cleaning.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbxUVDgEH574V77Tzab6Ja33WFw5gUfTR

he gives his thoughts on the game as the credits roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2mRbTOdRs&hd=1&t=22563s

just a great fun playthrough with Mr. Magoo :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blood vials are temporary consumables. Estus flasks are temporarily consumed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Another videogames groupie trying to get noticed :eyeroll:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Im sorry but I will only watch videos of games played by Games Forum.

Eventually.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont think anyone should try to be a groupie for video games

Just sounds painful and unpleasant

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gamer co-worker update: He's now playing Vampire Survivors on his steamdeck

My question is, ok so while playing he sometimes audibly utters things like "oh boy" and chuckle to himself, am I supposed to ask him what's up, because I don't want to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Monster Hunter World was pretty good and fun, I enjoyed it

Rise was kind of bad and I didn't and stopped at the second round of base defense stuff

I didn't play the other ones except the one on Wii briefly and it was incomprehensible. That's my Monster Hunter story thanks for reading

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone played Sunless Skies? I pretty much discovered everything in The Reach and moved on to Albion and am discovering stuff there. I have not tried the other areas yet, so I'm asking: Albion seems really lovely and empty and boring, but the reach was interesting. Are the new areas after Albion similar to Albion, or are they more 'full of life' and stuff to do?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Albion is generally recognized as being more interesting than the Reach, so, idk what to tell you

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

You’re being a cock, actually

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my steadfast convictions re: videogame powerups

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A distressingly small number of in-game powerups actually say POWERED UP!! to let you know they are working.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why Altered Beast is the goat

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the main problem with whetstones in the old games is not that they're consumable or you have to buy them/farm them, but that they take up a slot in your extremely limited inventory space. there were way too many items that were only there to be an annoyance: whetstones, pickaxes, bug nets, all of which were consumable and/or breakable, the fuckin zone map took up an inv slot, and then anything you wanted to carve off the monster you were hunting had to be factored in to that space too in between your healing items and whatnot.

it was extremely dumb and World was absolutely correct in getting rid of all that bullshit.

(though it was technically MH: Generations that first got rid of the bullshit because when you played in Prowler mode as a palico you didn't have to carry anything with you in order to gather ores/bugs and you didn't have to bring potions cause you couldn't drink them. you could go into a quest with a completely empty inventory. it was liberating)

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 16, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

exquisite tea posted:

A distressingly small number of in-game powerups actually say POWERED UP!! to let you know they are working.

this is why the quad damage from Quake is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeuZ-m1tek

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lQVqIK4T8s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx00LHagvxM

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My wife is watching me play through FF8 having never played it herself, and she noticed that Seifer holds his gunblade like a loving doofus.

Oh boy we're just like 20 hours away from her having a realization that most players miss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoy that in FF14 you go into that stance when you have your damage buff up, lore appropriate

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Saint Freak posted:

My wife is watching me play through FF8 having never played it herself, and she noticed that Seifer holds his gunblade like a loving doofus.

Oh boy we're just like 20 hours away from her having a realization that most players miss.

I haven't played it in a while. What is that realization?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

redreader posted:

I haven't played it in a while. What is that realization?
At a guess, it's probably that Seifer based his gunblade style and desire to be a Sorceress's Knight because he watched the movie Laguna was in. Laguna is decidedly not an Actual Gunblade User.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Well his song ain't The Man with the Gun Blade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

Well his song ain't The Man with the Gun Blade

Good, bad,

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
'groovy' should make a come back.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

'groovy' should make a come back.

I'm hip

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wish things other than Cheetos were radi-cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jay Rust posted:

Albion is generally recognized as being more interesting than the Reach, so, idk what to tell you

I took a little loop when I got there and discovered a workworld and a tougher version of a ??? shrine maiden??? or whatever they're called (edit: scrive-spinster), then went back to the reach. I went back again later with a lot more resources and found London after going across like 3/4 of the map and turning south, so now I can pick up commissions that tell me where other things are, then I found one more city.

It just feels emptier, with fewer enemies too. Maybe the plot picks up now or something but like, I went through a lot of the map without finding anything so I thought it was pretty empty. I might easily just have taken a path that didn't lead me past any settlements or enemies or wonders or terrors, just by accident. For instance I think I did not see a single enemy after getting there the second time, going 3/4 across the map, turning south and finding london. In the previous map it would have been like 10 encounters.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 16, 2023