Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s really cool that the league’s stupidest dipshit, who lied through his loving teeth to Silver, on his second gun incident in as many months got a glorified slap on the wrist for something that agents across the league are bemoaning as loving up the valuation of their clients.

Really cool poo poo.

25 games is not a slap on the wrist lmao.

The Gun flashing in the car is such a nothing on it's own, he's just eating the penalty that he probably should have gotten from jumping that dude, and pulling out the gun in the strip club. That was the generous slap on the wrist.

He was put on don't be stupid probation, and violated it so he gets his actual punishment.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Is this a negotiated deal or is the union going to get involved now?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

dokmo posted:

A $10 million fine is not a slap on the wrist

That’s not what a fine is. A fine takes money away from you you’ve already earned. Preventing you from making money is not a “fine”.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Settle down beavis

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

25 games is not a slap on the wrist lmao.

Things Ja has done in the past year:

- Beaten up a literal child
- Sent his goons to physically intimidate some rentacop for daring to do his job
- Either sent his goons to actually point guns at a Pacers bus or just “pretended” to with laser pointers
- Got caught waving a gun around in a different state, in a strip club, possibly violating the NBA’s policy on transporting firearms on team transport
- Promised the literal commissioner of the league in which he plays for that he’d change his ways, lied to his face and was immediately caught on camera waving a gun around like a stupid dipshit within a month

That’s the dude you’re defending.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s really cool that the league’s stupidest dipshit, who lied through his loving teeth to Silver, on his second gun incident in as many months got a glorified slap on the wrist for something that agents across the league are bemoaning as loving up the valuation of their clients.

Really cool poo poo.

wont someone think of the agents

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

in Zion's defense he's got other relationships to deal with
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1669737433989107723

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Morant's actions in the Instagram video were 100% legal and entirely on his own time. They should've suspended him for the previous awful stuff he did, and they'd have had it help up better when the union gets involved and squashes this.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the worst thing ja did was that all his stupid poo poo isnt as funny to sum up as Gilbert arenas bringing a gun to the wizards locker room

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

NieR Occomata posted:

- Sent his goons to physically intimidate some rentacop for daring to do his job
- Either sent his goons to actually point guns at a Pacers bus or just “pretended” to with laser pointers
- Got caught waving a gun around in a different state, in a strip club, possibly violating the NBA’s policy on transporting firearms on team transport
- Promised the literal commissioner of the league in which he plays for that he’d change his ways, lied to his face and was immediately caught on camera waving a gun around like a stupid dipshit within a month

You gotta work on your reading comprehension if you think Dexo is defending him at all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

i am a moron posted:

Is this a negotiated deal or is the union going to get involved now?

My guess is Ja and the Union aren't gonna fight this.

It'd be a real dumb fight to take on, considering they have overtly tried to help, coddle and guide him as much as possible before this most recent event.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ghost Dog posted:

wont someone think of the agents

The whole point is they are paid off the valuation of their clients. If they’re saying Ja is loving up their clients’ valuation, that means he’s depressing leaguewide salary as a whole. You can be reductive and as disingenuous as you want, but his actions are quite literally costing the league as a whole money.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

adam silver holding crisp haul in a force choke, lowering the bri split everytime ja goes live

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think unions should generally err on the side of always fight for your members but he did a bunch of poo poo that should have probably gotten him this suspension already, was given a "ok just don't do any more stupid poo poo for a while and you're good" escape hatch, and not only immediately hosed it up but tried to lie his way out of it

They should tell him he's on his own for this one

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Saying it was a toy gun is worth a yr imo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

Sir this is an Arby's

---

fast cars loose anus posted:

I think unions should generally err on the side of always fight for your members but he did a bunch of poo poo that should have probably gotten him this suspension already, was given a "ok just don't do any more stupid poo poo for a while and you're good" escape hatch, and not only immediately hosed it up but tried to lie his way out of it

They should tell him he's on his own for this one

Ja isn't even going to fight it.

Maybe if it was like the 50 Arenas got for bringing a gun to the stadium and threatning a teammate in DC where even carrying a gun like that is illegal as gently caress. He might challenge it, but yeah 25 all sides probably view as fair, considering the overall cost to the player.

temple posted:

hmm, this is the only good point i've seen for an over the top suspension.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 16, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Of course he's not going to fight the gun isn't real!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

drat this is crazy, does the NBA know about all this?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

temple posted:

Yeah but lying to the commish and then pulling a gun out in the parking lot after the meeting is worth -57 games on the "Rule of Cool" scale, so the 25 was the solution.

WhyteRyce posted:

Pels just fired Teresa Weatherspoon. The one person Zion was ride or die with on the staff. The person the Pels didn't let interview for the Mercury job or the assistant Blazers position because they wanted her to be there with Zion.

Now the Pels starting the "sources say" PR tour?

It's over in New Orleans for Zion.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
If it was a fine, the team has to pay Morant who then pays from his income, but a suspension the team just doesn't have to pay him?

So, the Grizzlies' ownership just get to save $10mil as part of all of this?

Boo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

NieR Occomata posted:

And then lied again and said it was a toy gun, and also you left out the fight his crew instigated at a girls basketball game.

BUT: 25 games is a fairly significant suspension imo. It's not even illegal to have a gun on camera or anything so it's tough to go too much harder on this latest issue alone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

🤷

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think there is only like 4 or 5 suspensions in league history longer than this.

Artest, Arenas, Jackson, Crittenton, and RTB MB.

Jermaine O'Neal almost killed a man, but for god's grace, on the court and got 15 lol.

edit: lmao, Forgot about Latrell Sprewell giving hands to and choking out PJ Carlesimo and got like I think like p much an entire season suspension.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

Yeah but lying to the commish and then pulling a gun out in the parking lot after the meeting is worth -57 games on the "Rule of Cool" scale, so the 25 was the solution.

Pels just fired Teresa Weatherspoon. The one person Zion was ride or die with on the staff. The person the Pels didn't let interview for the Mercury job or the assistant Blazers position because they wanted her to be there with Zion.

Now the Pels starting the "sources say" PR tour?

It's over in New Orleans for Zion.

The only mitigating circumstance around the TSpoon firing is she was part of the SVG staff and Green is finally getting the chance to make his own staffing hires.

Also, they let her interview for those positions but gave her more money before she accepted to go to those interviews, so they never happened.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

I think there is only like 4 or 5 suspensions in league history longer than this.

Jermaine O'Neal almost killed a man, but for god's grace, on the court and got 15 lol.

edit: lmao, Forgot about Latrell Sprewell giving hands to and choking out PJ Carlesimo and got like I think like p much an entire season suspension.

The people who think it should be longer don't care they just don't like ja and want his career killed because ~reasons~

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
jermaine o'neal should not have been suspended. his dragon punch was righteous.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Actually looked it up.

Forgot OJ Mayo for PED's, and Kermit Washington, who almost murdered Rudy Tomjanovich in a game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ziyanm_/status/1669733531264729088

lmao

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Dexo posted:

https://theathletic.com/4610215/2023/06/16/nba-longest-suspensions-ja-morant/

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/danizeh/status/1669444353037565952

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

And then lied again and said it was a toy gun, and also you left out the fight his crew instigated at a girls basketball game.

BUT: 25 games is a fairly significant suspension imo. It's not even illegal to have a gun on camera or anything so it's tough to go too much harder on this latest issue alone.

Yeah, 25 seems fair for the various infractions (major and minor) he's racked up. The real punishment as I understand it was not making All-NBA and thus having a lower max contract available.

The gun on camera thing, while not illegal, seems like something the league wanted him not to do. Sort of like how posting an anti-Semitic screed on social media is entirely legal, but will still likely result in consequences at one's place of work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, 25 seems fair for the various infractions (major and minor) he's racked up. The real punishment as I understand it was not making All-NBA and thus having a lower max contract available.

The gun on camera thing, while not illegal, seems like something the league wanted him not to do. Sort of like how posting an anti-Semitic screed on social media is entirely legal, but will still likely result in consequences at one's place of work.

He got off easy, with a slap on the wrist, with an implied probation, for the stuff he did earlier, him waving the gun violated that implied probation and attempt at good will, so he's gonna get the full punishment he escaped the first time.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

When I first started watching I thought, "How sweet, Embiid is back in Cameroon (I assume) playing with a bunch of local kids." then you look more closely and he's actually just towering over a bunch of grown-rear end men.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
What are some other good food cities with NBA teams where Zion could land and stay well fed?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Smeef posted:

What are some other good food cities with NBA teams where Zion could land and stay well fed?

Chicago.

Houston(Him, Ime, and Harden gonna live it up and stimulate the local economy)

Knicks/Nets.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anything done on camera gets a x5 multiplier. NFL is poster child for this.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

You gotta work on your reading comprehension if you think Dexo is defending him at all

He was literally calling us cops for daring to want Ja to portray any form of positive gun control during the Strip Club Incident.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I called the people clamoring for like 50 games or a year cops lol.

I stand by that statement.

Generally, I was content with how the league was handling it at that time. Dude needed(still needs) help, and to figure poo poo out, and was fine to see if maybe that was a wakeup call for him to stop moving so stupidly.

He did not stop moving stupidly so now he's eating that suspension.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
ban him for life, the euroleague needs some stars